• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 10th

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
There's a magical place called an "Opening Post" on forums.

In this mythical land you can find many wonderful things, especially when they are well-crafted.

asdsoauxq.gif

ZhugeEX

Banned
Only one I know in recent memory who used that argument was the Kooch and even he stopped (or maybe he didn't, I don't follow Polygon's twitter)

There were some lovely people in the Microsoft financials thread who told me that Xbox One sales must be lower than 10m because NPD and Gfk are estimates + Microsoft were lying to us about selling 3 million by the end of 2013 because that was an estimate as well..... but apparently, according to them, the PS4 selling 18.5m+ was 100% correct as Sony said so......

Some people.....

I never understand why people need to claim one source is right for X but wrong for Y because it supports the argument / bias they have. Well guess I answered my own question but you know what I mean.

CozMick

Banned
Wow. Is NPD a dying fad or is there zero hype for this month?

I know leaked numbers are few and far between these days but man.....

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
amiibo will be the best selling console
accessory
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

you watch. MSFT & SNE doomed.

"Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident."

the npd report is out

press release:

NPD: Home textiles grew 2% in 2014

Port Washington, N.Y. – Consumers spent $21.6 billion on home textiles last year, a 2% increase over 2013, according to a new report from NPD Group.

Spending on bath towels/bath sheets showed the strongest growth, up 14% year-over-year. Other areas of strength were bed covers (up 12%) and table linens (up 9%).

Consumers cut their spending on kitchen textiles, according to the report, and bedding ensembles were flat for the year.

“Inspiration, innovation, and simplification influenced consumers and product performance throughout the home in 2014,” said Debra Mednick , executive director and home industry analyst, The NPD Group. “Following a year of aspirational motivation in 2013, which came on the heels of challenging economic times, consumers have adjusted their attitude to a less emotional, more practical one when it comes to equipping and furnishing their homes – looking to products that deliver on a new look or feel, or a new approach to performing everyday tasks.”

The report found consumers spent $20.0 billion on small appliances, up 1%, and $5.5 billion on non-electric housewares, down 1%.

that yoy table linen growth though

I bought some nice table cloths just a few weeks ago.

Used to be much worse back in 2012 and 2013.

GAFfers were working off of random estimates instead of anything concrete.

Some months there weren't really any hard numbers at all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just think that since the holidays are over most people expect things to go back to normal.

I think most people know there's not going to be much difference between the PS4 and the XB1 in January. The most interesting month will be March, when momentum from The Order and excitement for Bloodborne kicks in.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Used to be much worse back in 2012 and 2013.

GAFfers were working off of random estimates instead of anything concrete.

Some months there weren't really any hard numbers at all.

Whilst I fully understand why NPD is not like Media Create, I do wish they were and actually released numbers every week with a top 20 software / hardware. That'd be nice to see.

Shame we'll never get something like this outside of Japan.

Whilst I fully understand why NPD is not like Media Create, I do wish they were and actually released numbers every week with a top 20 software / hardware. That'd be nice to see.

Shame we'll never get something like this outside of Japan.

It's funny because NPD releases weekly numbers in Australia + New Zealand....just not in North America.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's funny because NPD releases weekly numbers in Australia + New Zealand....just not in North America.

Isn't that similar to Chart Track though? No actual unit sales, just a ranking?

What I mean is actual unit sales for a top 20 software / Hardware.

Correct me If i'm wrong please.

Isn't that similar to Chart Track though? No actual unit sales, just a ranking?

Correct me If i'm wrong please.

Chart-Track is another name for GfK.

Every ranking list GfK publishes has raw numbers behind it.

NPD partners with GfK for Australia + New Zealand data. It's just rankings to the public, but there is hard data underneath for clients.

What was even the last third party release for the Wii U?

Last hardcore release from a major third-party publisher? Watch_Dogs in November 2014 (probably the last hardcore release on the Wii U).

Last non-hardcore release?

1) Disney Infinity Toy Box Starter Park 2.0 Edition

2) Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue

3) Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

4) Penguins of Madagascar

5) Skylanders Trap Team: Super Bundle Pack

...also in November 2014.

\

Someone says this every month and it makes me smile. Every NPD is interesting to me.

If I had a nickel for every time I see the following in NPD threads,
  • (Month) will be interesting.
  • I think people are underestimating (company)
  • Return of the King
  • MOMENTUM

I'd be a semi one-tenth-of-a-millionaire.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Chart-Track is another name for GfK.

Every ranking list GfK publishes has raw numbers behind it.

NPD partners with GfK for Australia + New Zealand data. It's just rankings to the public, but there is hard data underneath for clients.

I know chart track is Gfk haha.

I'm saying that it'd be good if WE THE PUBLIC get unit sales for a top 20 or something like Media Create release in Japan.

At the moment we (the public) don't get anything in the USA on a weekly basis, and Europe gets weekly rankings from Gfk. But the public don't get actual unit sales (unless through leaks)

So what I mean to say is that it'd be cool if we (the public) did get actual unit sales on a weekly basis from NPD and Gfk in like a top 20 software / hardware etc.... But I fully understand why we don't.

Was just speaking hypothetically :)

Top Bottom