• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

CANLI

I live in Europe. Our hours may not correspond to play?
My FC is: 2380-2364-4189

How much people here have exchanger your FC for Daigasso
Nickname : CenGoKu

Zornica

Banned
That's why I wrote 4 to 5 hours from now, no worries

it would translate to roughly around 7 or 8 pm gmt+2/utc+1.

It's also the last chance I'll have to play for the next few weeks.
5000-2755-2639

kubus

Oh! Maybe I'll join in on the fun too, because guess what just got delivered...

BxauxZAIQAERLrI.jpg

:D

I don't know if I have time to play later today though, already made a promise to play Destiny with someone later. Just give a holler in this thread if you're about to start and if I'm not occupied already I'll jump in.

Also trying to get form responses to work in Google Spreadsheet so we can have a cool friendcode list, but I'll get back to that later XD.

CANLI

Zornica and kubus, I added you to my friend list. I'll try to be there but I can not promess you. Thanks

Congrats for your purchase. Which website did you buy it?
I decided to buy the digital version to avoid the tax fees.
Europe sure wants to s... our money

Dragoshi1

My 3DS came! All set up, and downloading Smash Bros at the moment!

Hopefully I did everything correctly, I even put in the new SD card, 32gbs for day one buying. If I get any strange messages, I'll ask here.

Impotaku

For the ones on here that love youkai watch i thought you'd like to see this, since february i have been obsessively collecting the merchandise. I decided on the medals as they have multiple uses plus they work with the 3DS games unlocking content as well. With the stuff that is on the way to me in the post & the stuff i have now that makes about 98% of all the medals ever released so far that i now have. It is a full time job keeping track as they are split across several sets, the main sets, the sets from sweets, the sets from the gashapon machines & the sets you can only win from the medaland website. Plus odd promo medals that are randomly scattered around in various ways.

They are fun to collect even though im competing against most of Japan trying to get hold of the things as they are obscenely popular, a lot harder for me as i can't just walk into a shop as i live in the UK.

Here's the collection so far plus both of the watches so i can hear the summon sequences from the medals.
SAM_1145%20res.jpg

SAM_1146%20res.jpg

SAM_1149%20res.jpg

These are part of the reason why the games are so popular, each form of media compliments the rest. the anime/manga the games & the merchandise.

Josephl64

For the ones on here that love youkai watch i thought you'd like to see this, since february i have been obsessively collecting the merchandise. I decided on the medals as they have multiple uses plus they work with the 3DS games unlocking content as well. With the stuff that is on the way to me in the post & the stuff i have now that makes about 98% of all the medals ever released so far that i now have. It is a full time job keeping track as they are split across several sets, the main sets, the sets from sweets, the sets from the gashapon machines & the sets you can only win from the medaland website. Plus odd promo medals that are randomly scattered around in various ways.

They are fun to collect even though im competing against most of Japan trying to get hold of the things as they are obscenely popular, a lot harder for me as i can't just walk into a shop as i live in the UK.

Here's the collection so far plus both of the watches so i can hear the summon sequences from the medals.
SAM_1145%20res.jpg

SAM_1146%20res.jpg

SAM_1149%20res.jpg

These are part of the reason why the games are so popular, each form of media compliments the rest. the anime/manga the games & the merchandise.

dang nice collection, I have friends into Youkai Watch so I've always been interested. I'm guessing all those medals and the two watches are pretty expensive to get, well at least for a complete collection

Impotaku

Some of the medals are quite valuable now, i don't think they will stay that way forever once the fever eventually dies as with most things in Japan, i imagine they will plummet in price. However at the moment the yellow legendary medals from the medaland website go for quite a lot of money to get one you have to scan the QR codes into the website from all your medals that you buy to get points for your account which you then use those points to have a go in the lottery to see if you win one of the legend medals, the very first legend medal which was bushinyan now has a market value on yahoo auctions of 50,000-70,000 yen, these are not even buy it now type auctions. The last few i saw all had masses of bidders it's currently insane at the moment, it doesn't help that it only had a print run of 4000 compared to the others afterwards that had prints of 25,000.

Just madness lol
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h192688463

The orange daikichi (big fortune) medals are also pretty desirable as you can only get them by playing the gashapon arcade, after beating the computer with your scanned in team you get to try your luck in the fortune shrine, if it lands on daikichi (big fortune) you get a spin of the gashapon dial under the machine where all the orange medal capules are kept. It's the only way to get them as it has no money slot to buy them.

Heres a vid of the arcade game, it's pretty fun & you don't actually need any money if you already own medals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_t0oNE1WEc

Impotaku

It depends on how much Japanese you can read as ideally the story from the first game helps explain some stuff in the second but the second game does teach you everything again so it's not totally unforgiving to a new player.

The first game had some pvp stuff but the battling was mostly local wireless i think, you can connect online to download coins & extra stuff from the counter at the post office & use streetpass data to battle anyones team that you picked up from a streetpass. Even in the uk i managed to get some streetpasses when i passed a relay station in town.

The second game has a lot more pvp in it you can battle online in the second game along with trading youkai online as well, there are some extra modes like the youkai busters which are good if you can get extra players to join.

The second game you get a lot more content & areas to explore, might be good to try that one & then if you really like it you can always go back & try the first one as well.

Dragoshi1

Speaking of Youkai Watch 2, I bought the gold version, and made it to the point in the game where you unlock sidequests and such, and the story mission after that, talking to Fumi(girl character)'s dad, he asks for 3....of something. I got this far thanks to the arrows showing the way, but now I don't know what to do.

And how do I grind off of wild Youkai? I cannot seem to find any.

I only have Jibanyan, the first tutorial Youkai, and the Bancho Youkai from the stone gachapon machine.

Impotaku

Usually when someone asks you for something the text colour of the thing they want will be coloured red or green in the sentance. Can't remember the quest you are stuck on but if you can get a pic of the text i can maybe help you out.

As for finding youkai you need to use your lens on your watch. when you hear that noise & the needle on your watch starts to move then you will see a letter appear in the watch thats the level of the youkai that the watch has detected. Keep moving about till the needle is fully in the red area as far as it can go, you will most likely be in front of something that can be searched and will have the magnifying glass bubble appear when you are near. Just search the item & on the next screen move your lens around till you find the youkai then you have to keep the lens on it till the gauge meter around it fully fills & makes the youkai visible.

Sometimes the watch will activate when you are walking around and the text will be purple where the letter usually appears for the youkai level, that means there is something hidden out in the open, when you have the needle at max press the Y button to bring out the lens & search the area.

Hope that helps a bit.

mrback

Does anybody know if you can use paypal to pay for stuff on amazon japan. I have setup an account with tenso & was gonna try ordering something

Dragoshi1

Usually when someone asks you for something the text colour of the thing they want will be coloured red or green in the sentance. Can't remember the quest you are stuck on but if you can get a pic of the text i can maybe help you out.

As for finding youkai you need to use your lens on your watch. when you hear that noise & the needle on your watch starts to move then you will see a letter appear in the watch thats the level of the youkai that the watch has detected. Keep moving about till the needle is fully in the red area as far as it can go, you will most likely be in front of something that can be searched and will have the magnifying glass bubble appear when you are near. Just search the item & on the next screen move your lens around till you find the youkai then you have to keep the lens on it till the gauge meter around it fully fills & makes the youkai visible.

Sometimes the watch will activate when you are walking around and the text will be purple where the letter usually appears for the youkai level, that means there is something hidden out in the open, when you have the needle at max press the Y button to bring out the lens & search the area.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ok, here's the red flag quest;

And here's the first blue flag quest I was given;

And the game is GORGEOUS to look at, the cutscenes are hilarious too. I just don't know THAT much Japanese, so I get into slumps like this, heh.

I'm doing fine in Fossil Fighters 3DS, though, aside from my Dinos all being one shotted.

kubus

^
First dude asks for 3x YokaCola (looks like an item that can be bought at the vending machines, going by this screenshot google turned up)

Second dude asks for an Aburazemi, an insect that can be found in the trees nearby, according to the questgiver.

Beckx

Note that red flag quests like that are not required. Blue flag quests are often needed to unlock story quests, and will be flagged as key quests. Red flagged quests can be ignored.

I put together a summary of the blue flag & story quests that held me up, I linked it earlier, maybe on the first page. I'll check. There are a few Let's Plays that are really useful if you get really stuck.

wtsfox

Neo Member
Hi I just pre-ordered a white n3ds form Nippon-yasan. Do I need to buy a charging stand or can I use my 3ds charger (European Belgium) that I already have. And on there site I only Can find chargings stands for the n3ds LL.

Thx

Ibuki

Banned
I bought a White LL with Smash. Now I'm just waiting for it to ship. I wanted to get the spice orange really badly, but I wanted to save 100 dollars more.

Impotaku

That indeed a nice stack of games to get started out with, i love seeing Japanese game boxes. I look forward to seeing everyones collections, i shall try & get a pic done later as well.

Must be torture having a stack of games & no console yet, hope it turns up soon.

Dragoshi1

Thanks for the help, guys, and for that guide!

I solved the Q board in front of the store as was mentioned in the guide, the fact that Whisper(or your own character in my case) said the name in red.

That little tragic old guy youkai is now who I gotta find, PROGRESS!

That indeed a nice stack of games to get started out with, i love seeing Japanese game boxes. I look forward to seeing everyones collections, i shall try & get a pic done later as well.

Must be torture having a stack of games & no console yet, hope it turns up soon.

I too shall take a picture of my import stuffs later

Impotaku

Seeing as im not in work today due to been ill, i have some time to snap some pics so this is pretty much all of my 3DS stuff upto today. There are quite a few Japanese game guides for the 3DS games i own but i didn't include those in the pics.

So far own just 2 consoles the original launch blue one & a luigi XL, soon there will be a white N3DS added to the family too :)
SAM_1153%20res.jpg

And the games
SAM_0712.JPG

SAM_1150%20res.jpg

SAM_1151%20res.jpg

SAM_1152%20res.jpg

The part of the collection im most proud of is my kid icarus stuff, managed to complete the monumental feat of getting every single Japanese AR card for it including every promo & extra for a complete set. At one point i thought i'd never manage it as one card kept never appearing to buy anywhere but eventually after daily searching on yahooo auctions it eventually turned up & i got lucky. There was no binder released in Japan for them so i got the UK binder as it looks great.
SAM_1154%20res.jpg

SAM_1155%20res.jpg

looking forward to seeing what cool stuff everyone else has :)

Ibuki

Banned
Thanks for posting, that is quite a collection.

I still want to import a white N3DS even after ordering the white LL. I feel like a crazy person.

AWESOME pics guys, and WOW at having all the AR cards for Kid Icarus! I've been importing games for well over two decades, but the JP 3DS is my first active Japanese system, believe it or not.

And kubus, thank you so much for that Club Nintendo registration guide. That was EXTREMELY helpful, though I certainly got tripped up writing my name in kanji and hiragana. Made it through eventually!

Josephl64

Some of the medals are quite valuable now, i don't think they will stay that way forever once the fever eventually dies as with most things in Japan, i imagine they will plummet in price. However at the moment the yellow legendary medals from the medaland website go for quite a lot of money to get one you have to scan the QR codes into the website from all your medals that you buy to get points for your account which you then use those points to have a go in the lottery to see if you win one of the legend medals, the very first legend medal which was bushinyan now has a market value on yahoo auctions of 50,000-70,000 yen, these are not even buy it now type auctions. The last few i saw all had masses of bidders it's currently insane at the moment, it doesn't help that it only had a print run of 4000 compared to the others afterwards that had prints of 25,000.

Just madness lol
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h192688463

The orange daikichi (big fortune) medals are also pretty desirable as you can only get them by playing the gashapon arcade, after beating the computer with your scanned in team you get to try your luck in the fortune shrine, if it lands on daikichi (big fortune) you get a spin of the gashapon dial under the machine where all the orange medal capules are kept. It's the only way to get them as it has no money slot to buy them.

Heres a vid of the arcade game, it's pretty fun & you don't actually need any money if you already own medals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_t0oNE1WEc

that's pretty daunting...makes me wonder if I should even start collecting medals if stuff gets that insane. When you say they unlock stuff, does it actually give the player an unfair advantage over those that don't have any medals?

If not I'm considering jumping into the fray.

If only my New 3DS was here!

I guess I've officially "jumped in," huh? Yay!

My collection is pitiful...will post later

Impotaku

that's pretty daunting...makes me wonder if I should even start collecting medals if stuff gets that insane. When you say they unlock stuff, does it actually give the player an unfair advantage over those that don't have any medals?

If not I'm considering jumping into the fray.

None of the really rare & valuable medals unlock exclusive stuff in the games so in that respect they shouldn't matter too much.

In the games scanning a medal can do 1 of 2 things, if it's a non special medal it just gives you a coloured coin to use in the gashapon machine depending on it's medal type pokapoka,nyororon,purichi ect. However the specal medals that are usually called campaign medals unlock unique youkai, in the first game there are 5 versions of jibanyan called housekinyan (jewelnyans) they are based on jewels ruby,diamond,emerald,sapphire,topaz these 5 can only be unlocked by scanning these medals in.

In the second games there are similar campaign medals there are 6 variants of jibanyan based on fruits & 5 robot versions of certain characters like himoji,jimenken,komasan ect

Each QR code on the medals is unique so you can't scan the same code in repeatedly & get loads of coins or youkai, each medal can only be scanned in once per save slot. The coloured coins can be easily found in the game without the medals plus every week you can download coloured coins for free from the post office desk. The campaign medal youkai however are not obtainable in any other way, however there are youtube vids online where people have put up the QR codes for the campaign medal youkai so you can scan them in, they can be used by anyones game but only once per save slot.

There are also other youkai that can only be gotten if you have the cards from the arcade machine as they have passwords on. There are 9 local youkai that you can find they are called local youkai as in local to a set area of Japan from Hokkaido right down to Okinawa in the south. Normally you have to get the passwords off the cards that the ukiukipedia arcade spits out from each regions machine, they will be the only ones that have that certain cards in them but some lovely person has put all 9 sets of card passwords up online so anyone can get them as well, each one gives you a region coin which when redeemed at the youkai gashapon machine. It will give you that character to use in the game, when you use the coins you will either get the youkai or a rare item so you'll need to find many passwords to have a chance.

You can use this wiki site & use the passwords they put online, this is the main site it has a lot of info for people getting stuck, it is in Japanese though
http://enjoi.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-watch2/index.html

this is the page that details the local youkai from passwords, you enter the passwords in at the post office desk where you connect to download the coins.
http://enjoi.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-watch2/pass_gotouti.html

Josephl64

None of the really rare & valuable medals unlock exclusive stuff in the games so in that respect they shouldn't matter too much.

In the games scanning a medal can do 1 of 2 things, if it's a non special medal it just gives you a coloured coin to use in the gashapon machine depending on it's medal type pokapoka,nyororon,purichi ect. However the specal medals that are usually called campaign medals unlock unique youkai, in the first game there are 5 versions of jibanyan called housekinyan (jewelnyans) they are based on jewels ruby,diamond,emerald,sapphire,topaz these 5 can only be unlocked by scanning these medals in.

In the second games there are similar campaign medals there are 6 variants of jibanyan based on fruits & 5 robot versions of certain characters like himoji,jimenken,komasan ect

Each QR code on the medals is unique so you can't scan the same code in repeatedly & get loads of coins or youkai, each medal can only be scanned in once per save slot. The coloured coins can be easily found in the game without the medals plus every week you can download coloured coins for free from the post office desk. The campaign medal youkai however are not obtainable in any other way, however there are youtube vids online where people have put up the QR codes for the campaign medal youkai so you can scan them in, they can be used by anyones game but only once per save slot.

There are also other youkai that can only be gotten if you have the cards from the arcade machine as they have passwords on. There are 9 local youkai that you can find they are called local youkai as in local to a set area of Japan from Hokkaido right down to Okinawa in the south. Normally you have to get the passwords off the cards that the ukiukipedia arcade spits out from each regions machine, they will be the only ones that have that certain cards in them but some lovely person has put all 9 sets of card passwords up online so anyone can get them as well, each one gives you a region coin which when redeemed at the youkai gashapon machine. It will give you that character to use in the game, when you use the coins you will either get the youkai or a rare item so you'll need to find many passwords to have a chance.

You can use this wiki site & use the passwords they put online, this is the main site it has a lot of info for people getting stuck, it is in Japanese though
http://enjoi.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-watch2/index.html

this is the page that details the local youkai from passwords, you enter the passwords in at the post office desk where you connect to download the coins.
http://enjoi.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-watch2/pass_gotouti.html

ah I see, that's good to know :)

Ibuki

Banned
Ok, so my collection is pretty boring. I still have a few I want to look into importing. But for now, here's my little collection!

Thanks for sharing! I also like the stealth shot of your Pokemon collection. That Curtain Call LL is beautiful as well, I really like the design.

Impotaku

Nothing boring about that collection Ladyluthien, it's a great start of an import collection. Some puzzle games, some music games & some gyakuten saiban games. Sounds like a nice mix so far :)

Dragoshi1

Is Labyrinth of Kanata or whatever its called on the eshop?

Can't seem to find it, anyone got a QR code for it, or a price?

And I just got hit with the international fees from buying three games off the eshop, woo(just about $1.43 each, not that bad).

Impotaku

Found it listed on the eshop but it's not available to download it's price is listed ar 5,966 yen. You can look at screenshots & watch a small video of it but there is no demo or full download available.

Dragoshi1

Found it listed on the eshop but it's not available to download it's price is listed ar 5,966 yen. You can look at screenshots & watch a small video of it but there is no demo or full download available.

Aw man.

Guess I'll have to track a physical release down.

Josephl64

that was the game that made me want to get a 3ds...which is ironic as I still don't have that game

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but Amazon Japan is now offering downloadable codes for 3DS games. You need a Japanese address though.

It also makes you check off a tickbox saying that the code is being used within Japan which I thought was rather strange.

Thanks for sharing! I also like the stealth shot of your Pokemon collection. That Curtain Call LL is beautiful as well, I really like the design.

Nothing boring about that collection Ladyluthien, it's a great start of an import collection. Some puzzle games, some music games & some gyakuten saiban games. Sounds like a nice mix so far :)

Awww, Thanks so much! :) I want to start into the RPGs next, got DQVII and Youkai Watch on the mind.

Ok, so... Going through my collection I decided at long last to fire up Youkai Watch 2: Honke.... I've managed so far but I am stuck on two parts:

1: Blue sign post that appears in front of the convenience store.... What am I supposed to input?

2: Guy sitting on the park bench near my character's house (i'm playing the girl if that matters). What am I supposed to do for him?

(I need to seriously improve my kanji skills as the furigana is just waaaaay too small to see even on the XL screen....)

Btw, pics of collection are coming. Been lazy and distracted with gaming goodness lol

Impotaku

There are usually clues in the sentances of text, the words you need to pay attention to are in a different colours. It comes in handy if you are not able to read all of the text, just pay attention to the coloured words. The furigana is a lifesaver in this game as thanks o them i can read the kanji fluently which is the sole reason i only got stuck only once. Without them i would have struggled a lot more.

The guy on the bench sounds like the one posted earlier up in the thread, try giving him 3 cans of yoka cola. Can be found in the vending machines or bought from the convinience store.

The question signposts always need a youkai to activate them, the signpost will give you 3 clues to what one it's mentioning. The youkai needed for that Q sign in front of the conveni is Himojii ひもじい if i remember correctly if you don't already have one to put in the circle, there should be one nearby to the conveni if you search. Been about 50 hours worth of game since i had to do that so my memory is a bit fuzzy about where himoji is when you first find him.

Top Bottom