• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Hatchtag

Banned
Ahhh it's such a nice 3DS. You're in for a treat. Hope they'll come through and ship it out to you!

I'm considering selling my unit as I've got the New 3DS pre-ordered. If for some reason Nin-Nin cancels your order, feel free to send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I would like to keep my system until my New 3DS arrives though (for the transfer), so in that case you'd have to wait a little while until I can ship it out.

...but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Nin-Nin delivers your items as promised!

Do you use Tenso with amazon? I really want to try them out sometime. Amazon's prices are really good.

So far I've used Nin-Nin, Nippon-Yasan and eBay. Pretty satisfied with all of them, although N-Y sure take their sweet time with shipping out items. I ordered Youkai Watch from them, was which recently restocked according to them, and it took 4 (working) days to ship it out! How hard can it be to grab a game, put it in an enveloppe and bring it to the post office?! :p. Can't really complain though, they say it can take that long on their website and I knew that when I placed my order. But still, it's something to keep in mind when ordering from them.

Hmm, I might be confused then, because it's just a standard cosmo black 3ds with the monster hunter 3g game and a special cloth, and you seem like you're describing a limited edition system.

As for imports, this is my first time using something other than ebay to import any gaming related stuff. With ebay I've had mixed experiences, I had a GBA game take longer than it should, but I also have gotten Pokemon Platinum the same day it released in Japan.

kubus

Yeah because i live here in the UK i have to use Tenso with Amazon Japan to get anything like gaming stuff. Amazons prices are shockingly good, a lot of games tend to drop in price to about 3000yen and lower, some games do get more expensive but most of the 3DS games i have been after have been cheaper than retail & a lot cheaper than most other import places. I ordered 8 games a few days ago & 7 of them are already sat in my Tenso addresss now, Amazon are pretty fast at getting things shipped. Just waiting for last one before i get Tenso to ship them off.

If you buy light stuff like games then Tenso's fees are suprisingly reasonable, i did get destroyed though when i went a little crazy & ordered massive boxes of sweets. 600 umaibo snacks was quite a lot LOL.

The taiko no tatsujin sweets were a worthy purchase though :)
Yeah I was so tempted when I saw they had Daigasso Band Brothers P for about 1400 yen. Next time I'm going 3DS shopping, I'll give Tenso a try.

(And holy shit that's a lot of umaibo snacks XD)

Hmm, I might be confused then, because it's just a standard cosmo black 3ds with the monster hunter 3g game and a special cloth, and you seem like you're describing a limited edition system.

As for imports, this is my first time using something other than ebay to import any gaming related stuff. With ebay I've had mixed experiences, I had a GBA game take longer than it should, but I also have gotten Pokemon Platinum the same day it released in Japan.
Oh, that's indeed a different one from what I have, haha. I forgot that there were many different MH3G bundles. I was talking about this one:

monster_hunter_3g_3ds_bundle_thumb.jpg

You're getting this one then, I presume?

205152_front.jpg

Weils

Neo Member
Speaking of which, what places do people here mostly use??

Do you use Tenso with amazon? I really want to try them out sometime. Amazon's prices are really good.

- Mostly Amazon JP + Tenso, I always look for used/new games/books/figures. My usual choice. :)
- Rakuten JP + Tenso is also another place I would look for if Amazon doesn't supply the thing I want or just to compare prices.
- Ebay would be another resource but usually this would be products from Western/European countries I look for, just feel that some of the import JP games/books/toys being auctioned or sold there is a bit on the higher side. The good thing with Ebay is the sellers put up pictures of their product so it's much easier to judge whether they are in good condition.
- If all else fails, Yahoo Auctions JP + Buyee/Shopping Mall Japan is my next step, sometimes I'm able to find what I want from there that's not on Amazon/Rakuten plus like Ebay there's pictures of the items. But service charges from Buyee/SMJ can sometimes be a little too much.

For those who care, I'm going to switch from my 32GB card to a 64GB card for the new system, so I will let you guys know how things worked out as soon as I come back home from the store. Luckily the system launches on the weekend, so I will be there 8am to pick my system up :).

Beckx

I use Nippon-Yasan, Super-UFO, Ami-Ami and Solaris Japan regularly. The first two are great for getting hardware at the lowest price. Ami-Ami is *fantastic* on price and reliability, but can go out of stock fast - the New 3DS was gone in hours. Solaris is one of the best places to get Micomsoft devices (Framemeister, etc) imported and they also have the best prices on buying credit for the various electronic stores. I love them, but keep in mind it takes about 24 hours for them to turn around code orders.

I have had great experiences with Nippon-Yasan but I'm also well aware that other people haven't. People always seem to get their stuff, but there have been delays.

All that said, I finally set up a Tenso account to use Amazon.jp and I'm excited about that. Reliability + more availability + competitive price.

I only use Play-Asia nowadays when I really, really can't wait on getting point codes for PSN. It's near instantaneous through them. Otherwise while they are extremely reliable, their mark up is now at LOL levels. As for NCSX, I never use them. If there's a pricing level about $LOL, they've found it.

I generally us PlayAsia for all my import needs despite their higher prices given they have timely customer service and great shipping times. I even used them to place the preorder for the New MH4G LL bundle despite the outrageous price (imagine my displeasure when I saw Nin Nin had the bundle for $297.14 just an hour later) because I have always had good experience with them. In fact, when I asked PlayAsia when would they have the bundle listed, they actually contacted me via Facebook Messenger as soon as it was to let me know it was up which prompted immediate preorder from me since I know you are locked in once the preorder is made (they now have more popular items/collectors editions non-cancelable once ordered).

I do use Nin Nin occasionally but as others have stated, it is a major pain to get in contact with customer service unless I hound them through Twitter (they recently took down the ability to comment on their Facebook page). They were pretty good when I ordered the super Limited Edition of Gyakuten Saiban 5 last year as it came in a timely manner (within a day of release I had it) and I do like that their prices are a lot more palatable than PlayAsia. I'm hoping that with the release of Super Smash Bros. this week my order is shipped/delivered in a timely manner (like before Saturday since I have a cookout to go to lol) but I think I will stick with PlayAsia for a decent amount of my game orders.

I have also recently placed a preorder with Nippon Yassan for the 32gb MicroSD and New LL cradle. I like the pay it later option so here is hoping it works out well. My one complaint is that they do not have DC listed under the States so here's hoping my zipcode and listing Washington, DC fully under the city part of the address will direct my package to me properly.

I'm thinking in the future I would like to give Amazon Jp + Tenso a shot but not just yet

Just Nippon yasan/Play asia for me. Play Asia sucks imo, their prices are ridiculous mostly, and the two times I had to contact their CS i had a terrible experience (one time I had to get paypal to give me a refund...). Managed to get a new LL preorder in on Nippon-Yasan, and it took 3 days for me to get PA to cancel my preorder...

I've given CDJapan a go for Smash 4's release, hope they're good, prices seem excellent ^^
Never even heard of Nin-nin, will have to take a look, and I always thought forwarding services were ridiculously costly, guess I should check those out too.

Josephl64

I used to use Play Asia a lot as they are mostly reliable but their prices can be pretty extreme sometimes for popular items.

Also have used NCSX an american importer in the past for Japanese games, the time i have used them they were pretty good but their prices can be a little on the high side.

Nowdays i use Amazon Japan, so far not had a bad experience yet but i don't want to tempt fate, but so far im pretty impressed.

nin-nin I just don't use...had 2 good and 1 bad exp

I use Amazon+Tenso, Gamewebsite+Tenso, and CDJapan. Sometimes rarely I use AmiAmi, but I don't like how bad they are about canceling orders.

For those who care, I'm going to switch from my 32GB card to a 64GB card for the new system, so I will let you guys know how things worked out as soon as I come back home from the store. Luckily the system launches on the weekend, so I will be there 8am to pick my system up :).
You rock; I care!

And if anyone has Tenso questions, I've been using them for years and would be happy to answer them. I have 5 3DS games and a DS game at their warehouse at the moment, just waiting for a third package to do my consolidation. I've jumped in whole-hog on the "region-locked" 3DS import scene, got a White New 3DS, 4 cover plates, a stand... can't wait. Owe most of it to this thread!

I've also used TONS of importers, local shops, etc, but nothing has been as good as Amazon.JP and Tenso in my opinion. Or CD Japan, they're kind of great too especially with the expanded shipping options. I've used a lot of forwarding services too, like Buyee (which is operated by Tenso), From Japan, etc. So many that I actually got physical (junk!)mail spam from a new one opening up in my work mailbox the other day! Been importing games for a couple decades now...

Impotaku

Quite few ones i didn't know about, thanks people. It's always good to have a list of backup import places. This thread just keeps on giving :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So I made a mistake when preordering my 3DS from Nippon Yasan and forgot a couple items I wanted to add. I didn't see a way to add them to my preorder (though apparently there's a way?) and just placed an order with everything I wanted... not realizing that I couldn't cancel the other order. I opened a ticket with them and just keep getting back form responses that they cannot and will not cancel the order and if I don't pay I'll get my account banned. Has anyone had any luck with them on cancelling orders in the past?

So I made a mistake when preordering my 3DS from Nippon Yasan and forgot a couple items I wanted to add. I didn't see a way to add them to my preorder (though apparently there's a way?) and just placed an order with everything I wanted... not realizing that I couldn't cancel the other order. I opened a ticket with them and just keep getting back form responses that they cannot and will not cancel the order and if I don't pay I'll get my account banned. Has anyone had any luck with them on cancelling orders in the past?

Thats odd, perhaps try the Live chat when they open later today? It appears at the bottom fo the screen on their website when its open.

They have a preorder combination feature, so if you want to add some stuff in, make a new order, then go to your orders and it says combine/split at the top

I used to use Play Asia a lot as they are mostly reliable but their prices can be pretty extreme sometimes for popular items.

Also have used NCSX an american importer in the past for Japanese games, the time i have used them they were pretty good but their prices can be a little on the high side.

Nowdays i use Amazon Japan, so far not had a bad experience yet but i don't want to tempt fate, but so far im pretty impressed.

I usually use CDJapan, because I get points there.
The past couple of times though, I've been using Nippon-Yasan, and I'm quite pleased. Packaging not too bad and got to me in a timely manner. I'll be using Nippon-Yasan more often now.

Netto-kun

Friend code for my JP 3DS LL. 1478 - 3663 - 3445

Waaaaaay back I used NCSX, but just like Play-Asia they are way too overpriced. After that I had friends that stayed oversea in Japan send stuffs to me (I ordered from Amazon JP and shipped the stuffs to their Japanese address). After most of them left Japan I tried Nippon-yasan were the first 2-3 game orders took forever to ship and arrive despite using EMS. Other than that, it's been ok... Even though the other day I wanted to cancel my Monster Hunter 4G (game only) pre-order because I have the bundle pre-ordered, but I couldn't because REASONS.

In February I decided to give Nin-Nin Game a try. My pre-order of J-Stars Victory Vs. arrived two days after release. After that it's been a mixed bag with pre-orders that took anything from 1~7 days to ship. The worst case I had was with my Freedom Wars order. It was stuffed in a standard EMS envelope with tiny layers of bubble wrap, while the game case itself wasn't wrapped in anything. The game case was quite damaged, and for whatever reasons the game card refused to run and completely shut down my friends (OLED) and my own Vita (2000). I still have another 2-3 pre-orders from them, but after those I am probably done with buying from them unless there are some really good deals. Oh, they also forgot to give tracking number for some of my orders.

For cheaper used games and other random stuffs I use Amazon JP + Tenso. Works great for grabbing cheaper eShop codes too!

I also had no problems with getting PSN cards and buying used games from Solaris, so I'll give them a try whenever I grab a Japanese PS4 (because O as confirm > X as confirm).

Are there any good N3DS cases yet? I know it's probably lame, but I love the PDP Pull and Go Folio for 3DS. Have one for Vita, too! Would love something like that for N3DS...

Marcus

im seriously considering getting a japanese 3ds just to play smash bros before the US release. anyone else doing the same?

Dragoshi1

im seriously considering getting a japanese 3ds just to play smash bros before the US release. anyone else doing the same?

Not JUST for Smash, although that was the original plan.

Gonna pick up quite a few games, including Youkai Watch 2, Happiness Charge Precure, Fossil Fighters 3DS, and of course Smash Bros.

Hatchtag

Banned
Update on the nin-nin gaming situation:
They contacted me saying they will ship it early next week. Having paid $33 for shipping, which they said would happen within 3-4 business days of my order on Tuesday, I found this to be unacceptable and asked for a refund before they ship anything out (Again, I'd be find if it was problems with the shipping people, but this is problems with the store itself-not Fedex or customs or anything). We'll see if I get the refund (I assume I will). But yeah, a bit bummed that it went like this. Definitely would not reccommend them in the future.
Double update:
They responded saying that a refund would cost a 10% fee (even though they hadn't shipped anything out yet, the fuck?). In that same e-mail, they tell me they'll ship it out tonight.
I respond saying that'd be fine, but I can't say that I don't think that's shady. It is in the terms and conditions, but at the same time, they didn't ship it within the time they agreed to, plus this literally costs them nothing, as nothing had been shipped out yet. So I can't say I've been a fan of this whole exchange, and that I seemingly had to threaten a refund to get it shipped out on time, but I guess I might get it after all.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK there's no f2p games on the eshop but there's a demo section. The tab reads 体験版が遊べます and should be floating around on the bottom row somewhere.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
AFAIK there's no f2p games on the eshop but there's a demo section. The tab reads 体験版が遊べます and should be floating around on the bottom row somewhere.

Thanks, but i dont own the system yet and was wondering if there is a list online. Might wanna import the system - there will be a MH4G eShop demo....right ?

jax

Banned
Wow, very great and informative thread! Pre-ordered a black N3DS a few faceplates and a dock from Nippon-Yasan. I'm so stoked!

So, besides Pokemon, does anyone know any other games with dual language? Specifically: English haha .. Would be great to check out MH4 but I can barely read Japanese.

BriBri

Wow, very great and informative thread! Pre-ordered a black N3DS a few faceplates and a dock from Nippon-Yasan. I'm so stoked!

So, besides Pokemon, does anyone know any other games with dual language? Specifically: English haha .. Would be great to check out MH4 but I can barely read Japanese.
Ace Attorney 123 can be played entirely in English.

And finally getting around to Soriti Horse. It's amazing!

Zornica

Banned

there are a few f2p games like bravely default, that race car thingy or denpa men. maybe there are even more than that.

[...]
Double update:
They responded saying that a refund would cost a 10% fee (even though they hadn't shipped anything out yet, the fuck?). In that same e-mail, they tell me they'll ship it out tonight.
I respond saying that'd be fine, but I can't say that I don't think that's shady. It is in the terms and conditions, but at the same time, they didn't ship it within the time they agreed to, plus this literally costs them nothing, as nothing had been shipped out yet. So I can't say I've been a fan of this whole exchange, and that I seemingly had to threaten a refund to get it shipped out on time, but I guess I might get it after all.

seems like normal cancellation fees to me, nothing really shady about that. After all, you are the one breaking the contract, therefore that's to be expected.

I'm still debating whether or not I should waste 1000 blocks on the smash bros demo... For some reason I've zero interest in the game. If there was at least some kind of online multiplayer...

my friendcode:
5000-2755-2639
I'll start adding people as soon as there's a list

Impotaku

Still seems a bit crap charging a cancellation fee, Playasia & Amazon don't do such a thing. I could understand if this was something that was a special order that they specifically got for the custmer but if it's something that's in stock on the site then i can't see why they think they are allowed to keep 10% for doing absolutely nothing.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
After my third email to Nippon Yasan I got them to cancel my duplicate order. Paid my order off. I'm excited for next month!

kubus

Super pissed right now.

I bought the Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 collection from ebay, cost me $43 because this game is getting rare or something. Shipped by SAL.

This was August 15.

FINALLY it arrives... Only to be told by the delivery guy that I need to pay €20 extra ($26) in import duties. 20 flipping euro!

So this game cost me €50 in total and I had to wait almost a month for it to arrive.

Should've asked the seller to send it as gift and write down a value of < €22 value (which is reasonable for an old game like this). I just kinda assumed he would do that anyway, as has been my experience with all my ebay purchases so far.

:(

Hatchtag

Banned
seems like normal cancellation fees to me, nothing really shady about that. After all, you are the one breaking the contract, therefore that's to be expected.

To be fair, on their site and I believe in the contract it states it'll be shipped within 3-4 business days.
Regardless, they've shipped out the 3DS last night! We'll see how it goes from here, but I'm hoping well.

Dagon

Super pissed right now.

I bought the Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 collection from ebay, cost me $43 because this game is getting rare or something. Shipped by SAL.

This was August 15.

FINALLY it arrives... Only to be told by the delivery guy that I need to pay €20 extra ($26) in import duties. 20 flipping euro!

So this game cost me €50 in total and I had to wait almost a month for it to arrive.

Should've asked the seller to send it as gift and write down a value of < €22 value (which is reasonable for an old game like this). I just kinda assumed he would do that anyway, as has been my experience with all my ebay purchases so far.

Damn, that sucks. I really, really hope that the friendly FedEx man doesn't ask me for another £50 when he drops off my New 3DS next month.

Josephl64

Update on the nin-nin gaming situation:
They contacted me saying they will ship it early next week. Having paid $33 for shipping, which they said would happen within 3-4 business days of my order on Tuesday, I found this to be unacceptable and asked for a refund before they ship anything out (Again, I'd be find if it was problems with the shipping people, but this is problems with the store itself-not Fedex or customs or anything). We'll see if I get the refund (I assume I will). But yeah, a bit bummed that it went like this. Definitely would not reccommend them in the future.
Double update:

their business practices are pretty awful which is why I didn't recommend them. People think AmiAmi can be bad for shutting down your account for cancelling orders, but at least they don't charge you.

Try to go with cd-japan in the future for software releases, and either Amazon.jp+tenso, or AmiAmi for hardware(consoles)

'tis a shame it happened to you...luckily my worst exps with them was them forgetting to save my pre-order but still charged me, and another time where they shipped something a month late

Super pissed right now.

This was August 15.

heh that's normal :lol
on top of import duty, there's usually another extra administrative fee charged too >.>
Damn, that sucks. I really, really hope that the friendly FedEx man doesn't ask me for another £50 when he drops off my New 3DS next month.
don't worry, you'll get the import duty letter around 1 week after you get your New 3DS (unless your order was marked down below £15 or smth) :p

Josephl64

there are a few f2p games like bravely default, that race car thingy or denpa men. maybe there are even more than that.

I'm still debating whether or not I should waste 1000 blocks on the smash bros demo... For some reason I've zero interest in the game. If there was at least some kind of online multiplayer...

my friendcode:
5000-2755-2639
I'll start adding people as soon as there's a list

you mean "Initial D: Perfect Shift Online"? By the way I'd just like to make it clear for people who may be interested that you don't actually drive the car...all you do is shift gears by pressing a button when the game tells you to :/

Impotaku

Super pissed right now.

This was August 15.

Ouch, sadly that's the risk of importing, nothing worse than been held to ransom before you can get hold of your games. You were super unlucky to get import taxed on something coming by SAL though, hope your next purchase slips through.

I'm hoping mine escape the beady eyes of UK customs, got those 8 3DS games coming by EMS so it will be targeted for sure. However i have the games marked down at a couple of hundred yen each & the declaration as a gift, just hope they go by the label & don't open it lol. Sure it's a risk though as if they go missing im screwed, i shall pray to thye god of Nintendo to protect them against loss lol.

kubus

Ouch, sadly that's the risk of importing, nothing worse than been held to ransom before you can get hold of your games. You were super unlucky to get import taxed on something coming by SAL though, hope your next purchase slips through.

I'm hoping mine escape the beady eyes of UK customs, got those 8 3DS games coming by EMS so it will be targeted for sure. However i have the games marked down at a couple of hundred yen each & the declaration as a gift, just hope they go by the label & don't open it lol. Sure it's a risk though as if they go missing im screwed, i shall pray to thye god of Nintendo to protect them against loss lol.
Yeah, I just did a quick calculation... If they open my New 3DS package too it's gonna cost me about €60 extra... /cry

Please based Nippon-Yasan, work your magic! And I shall pray with you to the Nintendo gods, lol

So what is the likelihood that most of the preorder places will ship Super Smash Bros tonight or tomorrow?

I'm really hoping Nin Nin comes through. I chose them for Smash only because they were lower in price than PlayAsia but PlayAsia has a decent history with timely shipping of preorders....

xSL4INx

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick question, why does Smash Bros show it's 5,200 yen on here, but when I access it on my 3DS, it comes up as 5,616? Does anyone know?
The price for Smash on that page is pre-tax. The eshop price is with tax included.

All the other games on the first page are priced with tax included.

Top Bottom