• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls II - The real Black Dragon starts here

chogidogs

Keep going Jeff!

Edit: The Pursuer was the 2nd boss I beat. Took me 3 hours but I did it. Also, Jeff's comments about taking a look at his face for the last time reminded me of Kitty from Arrested Development. So basically, what I'm trying to say is, show us your boobs!

Hupsel

Omg Jeff circle the stone giants stop rolling so much!
Haha he talked about Neogaf and Kay "the anti-jeff green" :D

Shearie

Well.................another one of those happened...

Fun stream. I can watch Jeff fall off a ledge all day.

nbthedude

Great stream tonight Jeff. I know they were just off the cuff remarks, but I hope your spirits really aren't broken about streaming. This show doesn't need "canceling" anytime soon. The first episode of the new season just took a bit to get it's bearings back. You are still by far one of my favorite streamers. Hell, outside of Giant Bomb, your stream is literally the only internet thing I enjoyed enough to want to subscribe and give money to just to show my appreciation. So keep that in mind no matter how harsh my earlier criticism may have sounded. This is still one of "my favorite shows."

I think you do have the right idea but just exploring around. Dark Souls 2 in general is way more non-linear than the first game. You'll almost always have at least 2 or 3 areas you could be feasibly be exploring at any given time. So just have fun exploring.

One general combat tip - if you are fighting enemies one on one, don't be afraid to get up close and personal. By staying far away you miss your best opportunities for quick counters and they keep pushing you outward. Instead, get close enough to kiss them and circle. Roll behind when they attack and counter. This is a very useful strategy for most of the enemies in one on one encounters.

You seem to be doing pretty good with the crowd control by backing up and positioning well on the weaker enemies. And that's actually one of the most difficult parts of DS 2 in my opinion--there is a lot more required crowd control. Now you just gotta master the one on one encounters by not being afraid to get in close and dance.

nbthedude

Omg Jeff circle the stone giants stop rolling so much!
Haha he talked about Neogaf and Kay "the anti-jeff green" :D

He doesn't need to stop rolling less. He just needs to stop rolling away or to the side because they have a wide reach and arc. He needs to roll behind them instead.

He's getting comfortable with it again. He just needs to pay more attention to the way enemies attack and where the safe zone is for each. For these big guys it behind them and to the right of center because their swing goes about 300 degrees leaving the safe zone in the back and to the right.

dekline

I think he should stick with the Dragonrider for now. The pursuer is challenging solo, I gave up and summoned for help.

chogidogs

He doesn't need to stop rolling less. He just needs to stop rolling away or to the side because they have a wide reach and arc. He needs to roll behind them instead.

He's getting comfortable with it again. He just needs to pay more attention to the way enemies attack and where the safe zone is for each. For these big guys it behind them and to the right of center because their swing goes about 300 degrees leaving the safe zone in the back and to the right.

He just needs to wait for that 3rd strike. Most regular mobs have that 3 hit combo that either ends with a sweep or a downward strike. Free hit right after those.

nbthedude

He just needs to wait for that 3rd strike. Most regular mobs have that 3 hit combo that either ends with a sweep or a downward strike. Free hit right after those.

You aren't wrong. But if you stay far back and in front of enemies, their three hits will push you back outside of striking range, making the window for countering more difficult. Blocking them also drains your stamina leaving you less able to counter. If you stay in close and roll behind them, you are in a better position to take advantage of the counter after their combos.

nowai

He plays almost exactly like one of my best pals.

Block, block, see an opening too late, go for a hit, trade hits then tries to roll with zero stamina. No fucks giving to stamina whatsoever and then takes two steps back and tries to heal in the face of the enemy resulting in death.

I can talk to my buddy and help him in combat, but I'm powerless watching the stream!

The ants in my pants go full fire sometimes watching it.

nbthedude

I think he should stick with the Dragonrider for now. The pursuer is challenging solo, I gave up and summoned for help.

I agree with doing Dragon Rider first. But once you learn the rhythm of the dance, the Pursuer isn't that hard. HIs three hit combo is just requires locking on and roll, slight pause, roll, slight pause, roll. Then you punish him because he has a big opening after that combo.

His other attacks are basically just charge attacks. all you have to do with those is just roll and then get in a quick hit.\

I thought it was an awesome early fight. It had a nice choreography to it once you figure it out.

He plays almost exactly like one of my best pals.

Block, block, see an opening too late, go for a hit, trade hits then tries to roll with zero stamina. No fucks giving to stamina whatsoever and then takes two steps back and tries to heal in the face of the enemy resulting in death.

I can talk to my buddy and help him in combat, but I'm powerless watching the stream!

The ants in my pants go full fire sometimes watching it.

He'll get it. He had that rhythm down in Dark Souls 1 at one point. Then he got big heavy armor and swords and had room to get sloppy near the end game and re-acquired bad habits.

nowai

He'll get it. He had that rhythm down in Dark Souls 1 at one point. Then he got big heavy armor and swords and had room to get sloppy near the end game and re-acquired bad habits.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's entertaining as hell and I love every minute of it.

Let's not fool ourselves though, he did the exact same thing in the first game. He eventually just got enough health and poise to yolo heal with 18 flasks.

nbthedude

Oh don't get me wrong, it's entertaining as hell and I love every minute of it.

Let's not fool ourselves though, he did the exact same thing in the first game. He eventually just got enough health and poise to yolo heal with 18 flasks.
I don't agree. Go watch his victory with Orenstein and Smough. Dude nailed it. He just got sloppy later on due to being able to rely on heavy poise and 20 estus chug a lug.

Jeff, i would advise to put some points into END and especially ADP, it'll pay off (i noticed it myself, i've been doing a 2nd character and there is a particular boss
in the darkest and filthiest area
of the game where this helped me getting him solo)

eot

Banned
All Jeff needs to do in Heide's is keep strafing right. Just strafe and it'll all work out.

Bittercup

Very enjoyable stream :)
Not sure you missed this one, Jeff. But when you picked up the Fire Longsword you said it has way lower damage than your current weapon. The icons in the left column below the normal damage are for different damage types. Weapons with elemental damage usually have lower physical damage but in exchange additional elemental damage so you have to look at both numbers when you compare weapons.
In case of the fire longsword it has additional 78 fire damage which makes it not a bad choice at all. (and you could finally ditch the DLC weapon ^^)

Haunted

While we're on the topic of summons - everyone is fine with him summoning NPC characters, right?

I mean, they're needed to advance their personal stories in-game.

Very enjoyable stream :)
Not sure you missed this one, Jeff. But when you picked up the Fire Longsword you said it has way lower damage than your current weapon. The icons in the left column below the normal damage are for different damage types. Weapons with elemental damage usually have lower physical damage but in exchange additional elemental damage so you have to look at both numbers when you compare weapons.
In case of the fire longsword it has additional 78 fire damage which makes it not a bad choice at all. (and you could finally ditch the DLC weapon ^^)
On that note, another general tip that many people seem to miss is that you can actually sort your inventory by various stats (attack/defense, weight etc). It helps make sense of the various elemental stats and your bonuses, as the game compiles those for you into an overall "dmg" stat by which it sorts the weapons, for example. Although it obviously doesn't account for movesets and the speed of the weapon, that did come in extremely handy during my playthrough.

To sort, go in the inventory and on the top row of the inventory sub-menu you want to sort (weapons, shields, rings, etc.), press Y.

chogidogs

Jeff word of advice: go left instead of right. The boss on the other end is easier, and you can join a cool covenant.

I thought Dragonrider was easier but there is a cool ring over there so he should alteast check it out.

Also, people who summon Jeff should always be named Shhaaaaaaa. Let's keep this train rolling people!

Wow man. Great fucking job. jeff will beat the shit out of Dragon Rider. jeff, use the giant crossbows for the pursuer. My favorite tactic is to just get summoned and then fire the crossbows at the host, killing him. Sometimes right after the boss.

Haunted

C'mon guys, trying not to spoil boss names and fight details should be common courtesy in this thread, we know Jeff reads it and intentionally spoiling him would be a shitty thing to do.

UrbanRats

I didn't intentionally spoil it.
I figured the name of a boss is a vague enough thing not to spoil it.

Anyhow, edited, and sorry in case Jeff has seen the post, i assure you i didn't do it with malice or anything, just a lapse in judgement.

Again, sorry all.

Brashnir

You aren't wrong. But if you stay far back and in front of enemies, their three hits will push you back outside of striking range, making the window for countering more difficult. Blocking them also drains your stamina leaving you less able to counter. If you stay in close and roll behind them, you are in a better position to take advantage of the counter after their combos.

We're like 200 hours into Jeff rolling backwards from enemies with superior reach. If he hasn't figured it out by now...

I wonder how many times Jeff will drop down into that whole in the wall outside the Cardinal tower and think he is in a new area.

lol

Love ya, Jeff!

Mindlog

Just catching highlights. Jeff was half a step from speed-running Dragon Rider. That would have been pretty damned incredible.

pancasdf

Neo Member
In the event that Jeff gets stuck with the Dragon Rider, here's a hint:

kill all of the enemies on the platforms leading up to the boss; levers will appear that will change level of the floor so you don't die by falling into the water

StuBurns

Banned
I watched some of it, his stamina management is unimaginably bad, I'm really surprised he managed DS1.

Very entertaining though, slagging off the choir was really pretty wonderful.

Watching Jeff Green; ha, I don't suck that much after all, I figured those things ages ago, look at him struggle on those easy monsters over and over again
Watching Kay; man, I suck and I'm dumb *closes video*

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I watched some of it, his stamina management is unimaginably bad
Do you mean how he burns it all on blocking/rolling back? I feel like I'm about his level of play so I'm looking for better strategy too.

Mindlog

Do you mean how he burns it all on blocking/rolling back? I feel like I'm about his level of play so I'm looking for better strategy too.
Rolling back too far is a problem. It costs a lot of stamina to get in and out of range doing that. A bigger problem I (most people) spot is keeping that shield up too long. That's preventing stamina recovery. Blocking without stamina gets you staggered and also prevents you from counterattacking properly when the window opens. Separately you can still do pretty well. There are lots of videos out there with players rolling everywhere or keeping a great shield up. Together these two issues make the game very difficult. It's hard to do anything when burning all of your stamina and slowing its recovery.

nowai

haha he simply gives no fucks about his stamina bar period!
and I love it

He focuses on the action in game and not on his stamina bar. His biggest problem is that he he doesn't let go of the block button when he's NOT actively blocking. When he has zero stamina from all the blocking, he THEN goes for an attack or roll.

....then yolo chugs estus point blank in the enemy's face. :)

It's like watching Michael Scott. Painfully wonderful.

Jeff has demonstrated proficiency, even mastery, of several aspects of Dark Souls combat.

The problem is that each time he plays he is like the main character in Memento. :D

Jeff has confirmed several times on the stream that he's only pretending to be bad. We all know deep down he's a pro. Occasionally he lets some of that mad skill slip out by accident

Minamu

I FINALLY caught up with the Shaaaa business :lol

Sidenote: Shaaaa sounds exactly like a phonetic version of the Swedish word Tjaaaa, which is our slang for Heeeey, pretty much. The more you know!

Doomshine

I have no complaints about the stream, in fact I wish he stopped worrying if it's entertaining and just play like he wants, most of the comedy is unintentional anyway.

If I was to give a tip it would be to stop spamming roll. Don't stop rolling completely, but the way he does it right now is killing both his stamina and himself. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to block and strafe.

Keep it up, Jeff!

nbthedude

I have no complaints about the stream, in fact I wish he stopped worrying if it's entertaining and just play like he wants, most of the comedy is unintentional anyway.

If I was to give a tip it would be to stop spamming roll. Don't stop rolling completely, but the way he does it right now is killing both his stamina and himself. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to block and strafe.

Keep it up, Jeff!

It's not that he rolls, it's where he rolls. He rolls away from enemies and then usually still is within their range and gets hit by them or is too far away to counter. rolling towards them and getting behind is a way better strategy. You just gotta learn the positioning and timing.

Jeff doesn't know how rolls work in Dark Souls II yet, how there are not three concrete rolling speeds and distances, that it is variable (and unreliable).

Also, stamina management is much more important because every action uses more stamina than before, it recharges more slowly, and the penalty for running out of stamina while blocking is much harsher than before.

Top Bottom