• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: "100% Steam is coming to Xbox"

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam and Xbox would be a unity most against this merger announcement think it’s a terrible idea, and that they should remain at war.

Mister Wolf

Going the PC/Console Hybrid like the Steam Deck is the right move. Put your games on all platforms. Position the Hybrid as more expensive than a console but cheaper than a high end gaming PC. Offer a cheaper portable variant as well. The priority should now be selling software and niche hardware.

Just

like my

TED talk

If You Say So Shrug GIF

MS doesn't give a fuck which store you buy from in the end, you're data, you're money.

Open "xbox" handheld with windows OS would literally play Sony games on it. Think about it for a second.
Sony would block it. I don’t get why people keep saying this. Devs can already block Steamdeck.

I have to be missing something because this rumor has been around for awhile and it makes zero sense to me.

1) who is the market for this? Could be wrong but do PC players really want a console experience and even if they did would they drop another $500+ for it? I don't even understand how it would work. If you're playing on this machine, would you still need an sub to play online games and what makes this different from just a PC in general?

2) for people like me, who are not in either the steam or Xbox ecosystem, if I were to get this machine, why would I buy games from MS when steam seems to run better deals and have a better library of games, including everything that MS already has? Also have the whole other deal of why not just get a steam deck or some other competitor handheld/ windows PC.

3) kind of combining the previous 2 points here. How the fuck does MS make money off of this? I can see them not selling the hardware at a loss and getting some type of profit there but then what. They're expecting this to somehow increase subs or games in the Xbox store? I just don't see it.

Again, I'm probably missing something obvious here, but this seems to target a niche market (users who game both in steam and Xbox) and makes it easier for users to not buy directly from MS.

Killjoy-NL

To keep the most console like experience, it would be intersting if it launched still as a console and not a PC. So Xbox sandbox on one side, and Steam OS on the other side.
This would be appealing to a lot of people who want plug and play but still want to play PC games. Adds some value and flexability vs a traditional xbox.
Why not just buy a PC though? Because at that point it's basically what it'll become.

Then again, technically that's what consoles are. Budget-PCs with limitations.

salva

This would be awesome if true. Although, I'm thinking of just running a fiber HDMI cable from my PC in the study to the TV in my lounge + VirtualHere or something for the keyboard/mouse/controller.
But I'd love the flexibility to play steam games on my Xbox.
So Xbox games going to PlayStation. PlayStation games going to Xbox via Steam.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why not just buy a PC though? Because at that point it's basically what it'll become.

Then again, technically that's what consoles are. Budget-PCs with limitations.

Ya they really are tech wise at this point.
I think it's just the plug and play aspect of steam os vs a full on pc that would draw some people in.

Ivan

I hope something like this could lead to more serious steam machines approach... Timing was bad last time, I thing the market is ready for something like that now.

Compact arm PCs could make awesome steam machines and nothing stops ultra hard core ones to exist. Awesome stuff.

But Valve has a lot to improve in their UI.

THE DUCK

I don't understand why they'd do this, how they'd do this, or any of this to the point I think its complete bullshit.

Why: To attract more buyers to hardware they sell, allows you to play more games

How: Steam OS is available for free to other hardware companies, valve has offered it up

Probably makes more sense than just releasing another more powerfull xbox......

Just

like my

TED talk

If You Say So Shrug GIF

MS doesn't give a fuck which store you buy from in the end, you're data, you're money.

Open "xbox" handheld with windows OS would literally play Sony games on it. Think about it for a second.
It makes zero sense. How are they making money? The hardware? They don't make much, if any money on the hardware. If there's a steam store, why would you buy from the xbox store? The XBOX then would have to be just a windows PC at that point, OR, a mess of compatibility layers that MS would have to create and support. Steam would be a mess - would we see just a small selection of games that could actually work? At that point, just MS release a small box PC and call it a day, because any other idea is stupid as hell.

Jez doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about. He didn't hear this from anyone, He's full of shit.

Why: To attract more buyers to hardware they sell, allows you to play more games

How: Steam OS is available for free to other hardware companies, valve has offered it up

Probably makes more sense than just releasing another more powerfull xbox......
How does it attract more buyers? Just go buy a PC rather than an xbox. MS is NOT going to release a Linux, Steam OS xbox.

Is this really what we're talking about here? You're talking about MS launching a Steam OS platform of their own. Just throw in the fucking towel on XBOX if the plan is literally - okay, our platform sucks, our store sucks, lets just brand someone else's stuff and release a PC.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It makes zero sense. How are they making money? The hardware? They don't make much, if any money on the hardware. If there's a steam store, why would you buy from the xbox store? The XBOX then would have to be just a windows PC at that point, OR, a mess of compatibility layers that MS would have to create and support. Steam would be a mess - would we see just a small selection of games that could actually work? At that point, just MS release a small box PC and call it a day, because any other idea is stupid as hell.

Jez doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about. He didn't hear this from anyone, He's full of shit.

I'm guessing they would make money in every game sold on the steam store via a cut from valve. In addition, they would still have the Xbox side selling.

It wouldn't have to be a pc at all, a 2tb drive partitioned, one with xbox os, another with xbox. When it boots up it presents you with choose an os to boot. All plug and play.

I'm guessing they would make money in every game sold on the steam store via a cut from valve. In addition, they would still have the Xbox side selling.

It wouldn't have to be a pc at all, a 2tb drive partitioned, one with xbox os, another with xbox. When it boots up it presents you with choose an os to boot. All plug and play.
It would have to be very close to a PC if you wanted compatibility with PC games that are designed to run on the Windows you run those games on normally.
Booting to other OSs, partitioning drives. This sounds like a PC.

Why would Valve give them a cut/deal with the devil? They don't need the small cut of the tiny amount of hardware this would sell for the headache this would bring. If they don't have a cut, then they have to rely on hardware prices giving them the value, which means no one would buy this because they could just get a PC.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

How does it attract more buyers? Just go buy a PC rather than an xbox. MS is NOT going to release a Linux, Steam OS xbox.

Is this really what we're talking about here? You're talking about MS launching a Steam OS platform of their own. Just throw in the fucking towel on XBOX if the plan is literally - okay, our platform sucks, our store sucks, lets just brand someone else's stuff and release a PC.

It serves a dual purpose. Let's say it's 4070 level powerfull, and it dual boots xbox games or steam games for $399. Isn't that more attractive than an xbox only machine?

Buying a pc for casual use is lame for most buyers, you can't even use a controller to turn it on. People wouldn't even have the thing set to the right resolution. It crashes, windows pop up, you need a mouse, etc, none of which you need with xbox or steam os.

THE DUCK

It would have to be very close to a PC if you wanted compatibility with PC games that are designed to run on the Windows you run those games on normally.

It does but for the most part it works great on the steam deck. A powerfull machine will run the games very well too, proton is doing wonders and running almost everything.

It serves a dual purpose. Let's say it's 4070 level powerfull, and it dual boots xbox games or steam games for $399. Isn't that more attractive than an xbox only machine?

Buying a pc for casual use is lame for most buyers, you can't even use a controller to turn it on. People wouldn't even have the thing set to the right resolution. It crashes, windows pop up, you need a mouse, etc, none of which you need with xbox or steam os.
Lol you think MS is gonna launch a 4070 PC for 399. They'd be losing money hand over fist.

Last edited:
It does but for the most part it works great on the steam deck. A powerfull machine will run the games very well too, proton is doing wonders and running almost everything.
Because the Steam Deck IS a PC, with compatibility layers maintained by open source and Valve doing tons of work all the time for it. That's all it is, it's a PC.

Last edited:

Why would Valve give them a cut/deal with the devil? They don't need the small cut of the tiny amount of hardware this would sell for the headache this would bring. If they don't have a cut, then they have to rely on hardware prices giving them the value, which means no one would buy this because they could just get a PC.
LMAO “deal with the devil”.

Valve runs its business on their platform. MS and Valve have very good relationship.

Also Valve is a forward looking company from what I can tell. They even wanted gamepass on steam. They will go ahead with a deal.

THE DUCK

Because the Steam Deck IS a PC, with compatibility layers maintained by open source and Valve doing tons of work all the time for it. That's all it is, it's a PC.

So what, the Xbox is a glorified pc with layers stripped away. Ps5 is running on Unix. The basic idea is the console like experience is being delivered. And thst hard work from Valve would transfer just fine to a console.

So what, the Xbox is a glorified pc with layers stripped away. Ps5 is running on Unix. The basic idea is the console like experience is being delivered. And thst hard work from Valve would transfer just fine to a console.
So what is the point of the XBOX then? Why buy anything from the MS store? Why make anything that would only run on XBOX/first party games? Why would MS invest in hardware they have to subsidise and then get less game sales? For a console-like experience, sure, but MS is not going to subsidize a PC with a console-like experience just for them to lose money on it.

Tell me how this makes business sense to make XBOX hardware that will sell even less games on its own store and have more complicated software requiring two OSs, and still require MS to sell this at a low cost.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

So what is the point of the XBOX then? Why buy anything from the MS store? Why make anything that would only run on XBOX/first party games? Why would MS invest in hardware they have to subsidise and then get less game sales? For a console-like experience, sure, but MS is not going to subsidize a PC with a console-like experience just for them to lose money on it.

Tell me how this makes business sense to make XBOX hardware that will sell even less games on its own store and have more complicated software requiring two OSs.

I think the simple answer would be to get more xbox systems into homes.

Why would someone buy games on the Xbox store even if steam os was there? I can think of several reasons:

- The only place to get gamepass (a huge reason for some people)
- To access games already purchased in the Xbox ecosystem
- prefer the Xbox user interface vs steam os
- potentially exclusive content only on xbox store
- likely will also run the games slightly better on the Xbox os side
- game sales

Then you ask, why have the steam os side at all?

- to access games already purchased on steam
- to access pc exclusive titles
- game sales on steam

It's a bridge.

FewRope

Sony is far more adept at destroying some franchises (Final Fantasy) and even some countries console markets (Japan).

I have far more faith in MS cause they focus on engagement. Which directly means if your players are enjoying your games or not.
Is this a bit?

Sony is far more adept at destroying some franchises (Final Fantasy) and even some countries console markets (Japan).

I have far more faith in MS cause they focus on engagement. Which directly means if your players are enjoying your games or not.
Yeah, MS is super good at the console market in some countries. Which ones? I dunno. Also they’re super good at their franchises, showing how much care they have with Halo, Perfect Dark, Fable, etc.

Top Bottom