• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

Topher

Gold Member
Black Myth: Wukong for Xbox Series X|S seems to be a myth of its own, at least for now.

Black Myth: Wukong is a spectacular-looking upcoming action adventure game from new studio Game Science, based on the Chinese classical novel Journey to the West. The player takes charge of a martial-arts wielding monkey known as Destined One, based on Sun Wukong from the novel. Described as a boss rush game, Black Myth: Wukong was previously slated to hit Xbox Series X|S, alongside the PC and PlayStation 5 versions on August 20, 2024. Until plans changed.

Developer Game Science showed off a new trailer for Black Myth: Wukong at this year's Summer Game Fest 2024 in LA, and the Xbox Series X|S logo was mysteriously absent. Later, the company confirmed on its FAQ that the Xbox version had been "delayed for optimizations."

"We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards," Game Science said, "so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."

Initial previews for Black Myth: Wukong have been incredibly positive. (Image credit: Game Science)
The news led to a flurry of speculation that the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S platform is difficult to work with. The Xbox Series S in particular has been blamed previously for game delayed, notably Baldur's Gate 3, which dropped split-screen co-op in order to get the game out. The Xbox Series S has less RAM and GPU power than the Xbox Series X and PS5, leading to resolution compromises in exchange for a lower, more affordable price point. The console has proven popular as a more affordable option for millions, although it is frequently blamed for situations like the above.

I asked both Microsoft and Game Science to comment on the "optimizations" issue, seeking some clarity. Was the Xbox Series S to blame? Game Science didn't respond, but this morning, a Microsoft spokesperson offered the below statement.

"We’re excited for the launch of Black Myth Wukong on Xbox Series X|S and are working with Game Science to bring the game to our platforms. We can't comment on the deals made by our partners with other platform holders, but we remain focused on making Xbox the best platform for gamers, and great games are at the center of that."

Exclusivity deal, or Xbox Series S issues?

I became aware of whispers and rumors while out in LA for the Xbox Showcase 2024 that, despite the optimization assertions, Game Science had actually taken some form of exclusivity deal with PlayStation for Black Myth: Wukong. Reading between the lines, Microsoft does seem to suggest that some form of third-party exclusivity deal may be in play, although it stops short of explicitly stating as such.

If that is the case, a retroactive exclusivity deal like this is problematic for a variety of reasons, particularly when you've already announced which platforms your game is coming to. A delay for "optimization" reasons is also problematic for Microsoft and Xbox, because it furthers the narrative that Xbox isn't a priority for developers, and furthers speculation that developers find the Xbox Series S difficult to work with. If Black Myth: Wukong had taken an exclusivity deal, it would be within Sony's interests to cast doubt over the Xbox platform by keeping details of the deal a secret.

Game Science is a new, independent studio. It's not unheard of for indie teams to take exclusivity deals to buoy their cash flow. Microsoft has a variety of exclusivity deals in place in similar fashion, including Pokemon-like survival hit Palworld. What would make less sense is to throw Microsoft under the bus in order to save face with the audience disappointed by the delay. Dozens upon dozens of articles and YouTube videos blaming the Xbox Series S for Black Myth: Wukong's delay appeared in the wake of the delay statement, creating yet another flurry of doubt over the Xbox Series X|S platform.

What ever the hard reality is, it's ultimately on Microsoft to solve issues that developers are having with the Xbox platform, and ensure that Xbox customers are still able to receive content at an equal pacing to its competitors. Capcom recently announced a range of classic game ports, exclusively not coming to Xbox Series X|S, for example.

In any case, we've been here before with Xbox, and we'll likely be here again as Xbox remains in third place. A truly staggering upcoming Xbox games slate revealed at the Xbox Games Showcase for 2024 means that Xbox fans are going to have more than enough to play in the coming months. It just seems that, for whatever reason, Black Myth: Wukong won't be among them.

Microsoft's statement....

DHg8S5S.png

So somebody is lying. Is the game not coming to XS at launch due to "optimization" or due to a deal with "other platform holders"?

Peter Defazio GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

Stafford

if there was a deal I doubt they’d even be allowed to acknowledge the Xbox version so that seems unlikely

But since the game was announced for Xbox already, they really had no choice but to respond why there was no mention of Xbox.

Whatever tf it is, I hope it gets sorted soon.

Aion002

So somebody is lying. Is the game not coming to XS due to "optimization" or due to a deal with "other platform holders"?

I think that this deal in particularly is about Sony and MS helping third party studios making their games console versions. Sony probably helped on this game first, while MS simply didn't care until the game started getting more attention.

Sony has the China Hero Project after all:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So somebody is lying. Is the game not coming to XS at launch due to "optimization" or due to a deal with "other platform holders"?

Peter Defazio GIF by GIPHY News

I think you've misread it.

The "we cannot comment on it" is just a response to the twitter FUD from some accounts that the game was moneyhatted as a Sony exclusive, as in we don't comment on rumors and innuendos.

At least that's what it reads like to me.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
"We’re excited for the launch of Black Myth Wukong on Xbox Series X|S and are working with Game Science to bring the game to our platforms"
There it is.

"Series S is a pain in the ass, but we'll bullshit because we can" is the second half of their response.

They specifically said their partner (Game Science) has made a deal with a different platform holder that they can't comment on.

If it was a timed exclusive due to a money hat, wouldn't Sony want to show it at their SoP? Just seems weird that it was re shown at the summer games thing and not Sonys SoP if that was truly the case, especially with how weak the SoP was. Sony seems more open to PC but even something like Stellar blade hasn't gotten a PC port yet. So we are meant to believe within the last year Sony paid game science to just keep off of Xbox , a dying platform, after it was already announced? Not saying impossible but ehhhh.

Plus you have the dev saying optimization issues, which we have seen is a legit thing with the Series consoles. Doesn't pass the smell test to me. Comes across as MS/Xbox trying to play victim again because of mistakes that they have made.

adamsapple

Not true. That was a statement sent directly to Jez Corden from Microsoft.

No, you've misread what I meant. I'm saying it just reads like them saying that they won't comment on any possible rumors of Game Science having made deals with other platforms.

When the delay was announced, there were a few twitter blue check accounts which said that the delay was possibly because of a sony moneyhat.

Topher

Gold Member
No, you've misread what I meant. I'm saying it just reads like them saying that they won't comment on any possible rumors of Game Science having made deals with other platforms.

When the delay was announced, there were a few twitter blue check accounts which said that the delay was possibly because of a sony moneyhat.

That's bullshit man. If Microsoft doesn't want to comment on rumors then they can just say "we are not going to comment on rumors". This comment implies a deal exists. Microsoft knows exactly what they are doing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Nothing about the game really looks impossible for Series S, but they're a relatively new studio.

Really could be either one. Need more time to optimize, or some kind of deal. Neither one would surprise me.

If they just need more time to optimize, that doesn't offend me at all. It is two SKUs and they're a new team. Not like I was dying to get this day 1 anyway. Drowning in games. I do think that if it just needed optimization, MS would have little reason to not be up front about that. That optimization is a good thing, and will benefit the handheld down the line too.

adamsapple

That's bullshit man. If Microsoft doesn't want to comment on rumors then they can just say "we are not going to comment on rumors". This comment implies a deal exists. Microsoft knows exactly what they are doing.

From the article:

I later became aware of whispers and rumors while out in LA for the Xbox Showcase 2024 that, despite the optimization assertions, Game Science had actually taken some form of exclusivity deal with PlayStation for Black Myth: Wukong.

Not surprising at all to consider that their PR has been hounded by the question from multiple outlets since then and they have a boiler-plate response for it.

Last edited:

GHG

If it was a timed exclusive then Sony would be marketing it as such.

There are also clauses in those deals that prohibit the developer/publisher of the game to explicitly talk about platforms outside of the agreement.

Something doesn't add up here.

Just hound the Devs until you get a straight answer like they did with the Tomb Raider deal.

There was no ambiguity about the tomb raider deal so I don't know why you're bringing that up as a point of reference.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Slimy tactics in that MS statement, letting people believe that maybe there is something going on between Sony and Game Science, whilst burying the fact that they are probably just struggling with getting it to run on the Series S
And the fact that their main platform is PC anyway, it’s a game designed to be sold primarily in Mainland China.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony drafting their response...

"We’re excited for the launch of Black Myth Wukong on PS5 and are working with Game Science to bring the game to our platform. We can't comment on the the mental capacity, competence or integrity of executives from other platform holders, but we remain focused on making PS5 the best platform for gamers, and great games are at the center of that."

Last edited:

GHG

Devs cant say, Sony would have to. MS commented on TR.

What the devs can't do in instances where there is an exclusivity agreement is mention other platforms. Xbox would have been ommited from the PR if that were the case.

Since DenchDeckard DenchDeckard brought it up, this is how rise of the tomb raider was announced:

No mention of playstation anywhere. The reason why people questioned it was because it was an unbelievable deal at the time.

That would be a pointless endeavor. And I think journalists are too scared to hound Sony about anything.

Here you guys go with the victim mentality once again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom