• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

Solidus_T

Banned
If there was a deal, we would know about it by now and the game would not be announced on Xbox. MS PR is actively stoking their diehard shills to create a narrative around their own shortcomings. This is not only very slimy of MS but potentially slanderous.
I refuse to believe that’s an official statement from Microsoft PR meant for the public. Jez has already admitted that he's a shitty journalist and that totally reads as an off the record remark about the situation.
I would believe this over Jez's claim that MS officially blamed a deal for the Xbox version delay. It just seems too amateurish to point the finger and fan console wars in response to their own parity clause biting them.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Gold Member
You could have looked at Baldur's Gate 3 and said the same thing.

You're not a developer though so you have no idea about what does and doesn't become an issue when creating a piece of software for multiple configurations.
Tbh, I agree that BG3 doesn't look like a technical powerhouse. But Larian, like the Wukong studio, is a smaller team.

That, and I think most studios have gotten worse with tech this gen.

Astray

So somebody is lying. Is the game not coming to XS at launch due to "optimization" or due to a deal with "other platform holders"?
It's Microsoft, I checked and the game was literally never part of any Sony shows in the past few years. The game isn't even part of the China Hero Project either.

Why would anyone pay for timed exclusivity and then not only never talk about it, but also allow mention of competing platforms in the press releases?

Seems like someone at Microsoft is very scared that this game might turn out to be hype-worthy and a defacto system seller.

Stafford

Actually if you read it carefully no one could be lying. MS is just saying they can't comment on deals made by their partners. They aren't saying there is one simply that they can't comment on deals with their partners.

True. But there was also Sara Bond from Xbox saying something like business is business in response to a question about Wukong. So i wonder about that.

Astray

I saw some folks on twitter saying Sony wouldn't scream it off the rooftops, since the game had been confirmed as multiplatform and this would be a bad look. Sure. But I have my doubts about that.

This shit is tiresome and I just hope we get some actual clarity soon. And whatever tf the reason is, I hope as a Xbox player I won't have to wait for much longer than February, tops. As that "insider" claimed.
Name one other game Sony bought exclusivity for and never mentioned as part of their shows. I'll wait.

Actually, let's expand this exercise to all console platforms.

Last edited:

Negotiator101

Gold Member
don't trust anything MS says, have we learned nothing?
I think it's pretty obvious from the wording of the Microsoft response "We can't comment on the deals made by our partners with other platform holders"

It makes sense for PlayStation because they've got very little exclusive content lined up this year, Microsoft on the other hand have a veritable feast on offer.

Stafford

Name one other game Sony bought exclusivity for and never mentioned as part of their shows. I'll wait.

Actually, let's expand this exercise to all console platforms.

I don't disagree with you. That certainly is true. When all is said and done though, who knows. I just want to play this shit rrlatevly soonish after the launch.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Going by the track record of the CEO of XBOX, which is a liar all the way. MS must be lying. But we all know that Series S is a crap system, and it's crippled. logic would tell us, that is the version holding back its release. When there is an agreement, the trailers display Exclusive for 6 months or something like that.

Last edited:

Negotiator101

Gold Member
What the devs can't do in instances where there is an exclusivity agreement is mention other platforms. Xbox would have been ommited from the PR if that were the case.

Since DenchDeckard DenchDeckard brought it up, this is how rise of the tomb raider was announced:

No mention of playstation anywhere. The reason why people questioned it was because it was an unbelievable deal at the time.

Here you guys go with the victim mentality once again.
This game was previously announced on all platforms, it's obvious this timed exclusivity deal was struck recently due to lack of PS exclusive games this year.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Can you link to that quote?

Copilot:
I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find a specific quote from Sarah Bond using the phrase “business is business” in response to Black Myth: Wukong not launching on Xbox. The game was indeed delayed for Xbox Series X|S for optimizations12, but there doesn’t seem to be a direct quote from Sarah Bond regarding this specific issue. If you have any other questions or need assistance with something else, feel free to ask! 😊

there is no need to be upset GIF
You gotta have the music

diffusionx

Gold Member
We had cultists up in here during the whole BG3 situation claiming Larian were lazy incompetent devs, "just turn down the settings". Lmao
lol and recall that Larian had to drop the feature that they said was giving them trouble and MS had to approve them dropping it before it could launch on Xbox.

but no, this has nothing to do with a small dev needing more time to iron out issues on what will undoubtedly be the smallest audience for the game, it has everything to do with Sony being scared of MS' 2025 games and moneyhatting the game at the last second lmao.

LordCBH

I think it's pretty obvious from the wording of the Microsoft response "We can't comment on the deals made by our partners with other platform holders"

It makes sense for PlayStation because they've got very little exclusive content lined up this year, Microsoft on the other hand have a veritable feast on offer.

Oh cool guess all the PS5 games I’ve been playing this year have disappeared.

Atrus

Gold Member
Demanding releases on both the regular Series X and handicapped S versions is going to cause problems as a generation progresses and games aim to meet the 16GB RAM standard.

solidus12

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Black Myth Wukong 👀
Astro Bot
Concord
Lego Horizon Adventures
Silent Hill 2

Yup, that’s a feast alright.

Last edited:
I think you've misread it.

The "we cannot comment on it" is just a response to the twitter FUD from some accounts that the game was moneyhatted as a Sony exclusive, as in we don't comment on rumors and innuendos.

At least that's what it reads like to me.

Reads this way to me as well, especially since they say in the same statement that they are working to bring it to Series consoles. Just a blanket statement about deals in response to the questions they’ve been getting.

Per usual GAF is catching feelings because some PR drone at Xbox worded something in a way they don’t like. At the end of the day who gives a shit, especially related to this game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I saw some folks on twitter saying Sony wouldn't scream it off the rooftops, since the game had been confirmed as multiplatform and this would be a bad look. Sure. But I have my doubts about that.

This shit is tiresome and I just hope we get some actual clarity soon. And whatever tf the reason is, I hope as a Xbox player I won't have to wait for much longer than February, tops. As that "insider" claimed.
This seems like more Xbox persecution from the shills, something that has become quite monotonous. Obviously I could be wrong but I doubt you will have to wait until February.

I found this:
Don't know who the fuck KingDavid is.

"Business decision" could also mean, "instead of delaying everything to launch day and date we decided to delay JUST the Xbox version to get the PC/PS5 versions out on time." You know, exactly what happened with BG3.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"we remain focused on making Xbox the best platform for gamers"

Good luck with your focus on the impossible.

Sony drafting their response...

"We’re excited for the launch of Black Myth Wukong on PS5 and are working with Game Science to bring the game to our platform. We can't comment on the the mental capacity, competence or integrity of executives from other platform holders, but we remain focused on making PS5 the best platform for gamers, and great games are at the center of that."
Another one I wish good luck with the impossible.

Last edited:

Stafford

Google says the source of that is.......you.

lNji7nT.png

lol.....I'm just messing with you.

Yep, I went to Google too. Wtf man. It was quite recent and it must have been during the week of not E3. I believe someone asked her about Wukong. I can't stand it that I can't find it now, lmao.

Pretty sure that's a bogus claim in terms of an agreement.

I'd wager this is literally another situation where the Series S is a fucking bottleneck just like Baldurs Gate III, so it results in another "inadvertant" PS5 exclusive for some amount of time.

They won't say that, obviously, but it's clear it's begun to cause more problems in higher demanding games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom