• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

RBH

a Master Ninja said:
Way to go Ninja Gaiden II. Raise a glass, Itagaki.
itagaki2.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Xisiqomelir said:
Because hardlycore pap like GTA4 and Madden do far more to "hurt gaming" than any number of Wii ____ or ____ Training titles ever could. Seeing it fall out of sight is delightful.

At least the developers had to actually try on it, unlike the uninspired, underdeveloped crap that's ripping up the sales charts this year. Even Nintendo's taking note and putting in less and less effort.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Top First Month Sales in US, this gen:
1. Halo 3 - 3.3 million
2. SSBB - 2.7 million
3. GTA 4 360 - 1.85 million
4. CoD 4 360 - 1.57 million
5. Galaxy - 1.12 million
6. MK Wii - 1.12 million
7. Gears - 1.0 million
8. GTA IV PS3 - 1.0 million
9. Assassin's Creed 360 - 0.98 million
10. Madden NFL 08 360 - 0.89 million
11. MGS4 - 0.77 million
12. R6 Vegas 2 360 - 0.75 million
13. Wii Fit - 0.68 million
14. Army of Two 360 - 0.60 million
15. Madden NFL 07 360 - 0.57 million

yoopoo said:
Whats the best seller of the year so far? MK or GTA 360?

GTA 360 by a substantial amount, followed by Brawl.

icecream said:
Then it comes down again to the question of why is anything non-first party not multiplatform. Presumably if it sells enough to make the developer happy, moves enough hardware to male the console company happy, and throw in a few incentives, a game becomes exclusive.

If increased sales on multiple consoles was all S-E was ever looking for, their games would have been multiplatform years ago.

increased sales this gen seem to be on every dev/publishers mind.

hmmm, i wonder why?

stewacide said:
Which reminds me, how long until the 360 port is out? What kind of exclusivity windows does Sony have?

There's no way they're leaving that money on the table.
Holy shit stop it already. This place has rules ya know.

Akira

Are people being serious about Too Human being a system seller? Did Dyack brainwash everyone with that thread?

test_account

XP-39C²
Jag22 said:
All the systems did well. Even the 360 did better than previous months without a big release.
I guess it depends on how you define "a big release", but Ninja Gaiden 2 is sorta a big title, atleast i'm under that impression :) I dont know how big of a system seller this game is in general though.

Frillen

:lol Sony fans NEEDS to stop dreaming about LBP selling extremely well. It won't. It doesn't fit the PS3 crowd at all, which buy games like MGS4, Uncharted, CoD4, Assassin's Creed, GTAIV etc. They all have one thing in common. You kill people.

And no, Too Human is NOT a system seller either :lol :lol :lol

Defuser

bloody pirate said:
hardware pushing sales wise

halo 3>> Too human>>>MGS4>>Haze>>>LBP
Oh my god,when will you give up with your delusions? You're already damn retarded at the FFXIII 360 thread. I'm surprised how you managed to fly under the mod's banning radar during this week.

stewacide

Frillen said:
Am I the only who think LBP will bomb big time on the Shooterstation 3?

Sadly yes.

On the Wii, particularly with Nintendo publishing, it would have been the megahit of the year: MM made a bad decision teaming with Sony (IIRC they were courted by Nintendo as well)

Xisiqomelir

ahoyhoy said:
At least the developers had to actually try on it, unlike the uninspired, underdeveloped crap that's ripping up the sales charts this year. Even Nintendo's taking note and putting in less and less effort.

If you think about it, it's far better for some faddish thing like Wii Fit to come along and make a few waves then quietly fade away because of the relatively smaller consumption of development resources, and the fairly well differentiated demographic.

That is, Wii Fit and Brain Age can peacefully coexist in a world with good games like Oboro Muramasa Youtoden and Culdcept Saga, but GTA, Madden and that ilk inevitably lead to the EAification of the industry and general promulgation of shiny HD mediocrities.

gregor7777 said:
LOL, would you stop?

We know who you are :lol :lol :lol

Can I have my own opinion without being bashed? damn... let be realistic for a moment.. if Viva bombed and it was a casual game.. LBP will bomb too.. im just comparing apples to apples here

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
justjohn said:
its even more pathetic when you realise he has kids, married and in his 30s. :lol

What's pathetic, that I'm 28 and I buy whatever I want? STFU and stick to the script of the thread.

About FF13 going multiplatform : Multiplatform makes more sense this generation than any other generation in the past. 360 and PS3 are easily the 2 most similar consoles hardware spec wise in all of console history.

The numbers : Even though BFBC isn't too super great, I'm glad to see it did fine, especially because only a few days were counted (I guess). I predicted numbers right around what it got.

LBP might sell pretty decent, but I don't think it'll be any MGS4.

It's a shame to see quite a few lower quality titles in the top 10 though, but that's nothing unusual.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xisiqomelir said:
That is, Wii Fit and Brain Age can peacefully coexist in a world with good games like Oboro Muramasa Youtoden and Culdcept Saga, but GTA, Madden and that ilk inevitably lead to the EAification of the industry and general promulgation of shiny HD mediocrities.

GTA and Madden does not lead to the EAification of the industry, EA and Activision buying every fucking company and whipping them into annual release cycles leads to the EAification of the industry.

If Atlus or Ignition Entertainment bought as many companies as EA did, we'd be in the same shitty position.

bloody pirate said:
Can I have my own opinion without being bashed? damn... let be realistic for a moment.. if Viva bombed and it was a casual game.. LBP will bomb too.. im just comparing apples to apples here

you know damn well that's not the part of your statement that's garnering attention

Frillen said:
Am I the only who think LBP will bomb big time on the Shooterstation 3?

No.

Wallach said:
1 - MGS4: Very surprising to see it come out that strong and simultaneously pick up hardware sales as much as it did.

It's not actually that surprising if you watched the Media Create threads. This is exactly what happened over there: franchise-level performance and hardware spike during month 1, because the MGS fanbase is very dedicated.

(It probably also helped that Sony did everything they could to make June the month to buy a PS3 -- the gift card deals, the US MGS4 bundle that is a drastically better deal than the 40gb unit, etc.)

2 - DS Hardware: Okay, seriously. What the fuck. We are but simple men, and this is the Dread Cthulhu. It hasn't even hit $99 yet. When it does... well, "Cthulhu fhtagn" as they say.

As with point one, this is pretty much just a time-delay snapshot of what Media Create watchers are already used to.

3 - Wii Hardware: Finally, the Wii has taken the top billing in the NA market thus fulfilling the contract with Lucifer and sealing the fate of "hardcore" gamers everywhere.

It's gotta be pretty painful for some people to see this after Nintendo's e3 conference.

icecream said:
Then it comes down again to the question of why is anything non-first party not multiplatform.

In previous generations, the answer was "because the costs of porting are extremely large in comparison to the initial development cost, making it less cost effective."

Nowadays, with the cost of asset creation making up a majority of a game's expense and PC-native coding environments easing multiplatform development, the answer is either "moneyhats" or "it isn't."

Akira said:
Are people being serious about Too Human being a system seller? Did Dyack brainwash everyone with that thread?

Have you at least played to demo before you say something like that dissing Denis? he even secretly provided a glitch in the demo so we can play with all the classes.. how many devs you see go over and beyond like that? think for a second

Opiate

I think LBP is effectively the last chance any system has to significantly disturb the Wii in the west. I think it's unlikely to do so (it's very late in the generation for significant shifts in image) but it's possible.

Loudninja

bloody pirate said:
Have you at least played to demo before you say something like that dissing Denis? he even secretly provided a glitch in the demo so we can play with all the classes.. how many devs you see go over and beyond like that? think for a second

:lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What would your estimates on LBP be if they were on xBOX? This game will sell systems. You're kidding yourself if you expect this one to fly under the radar. You are severly under-estimating the enormity of LBP.

Evlar

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Great news for MGS4 and PS3.
Does anyone know where that puts the amount shipped worldwide for MGS4?
Well, the actual US sales (if you count bundles) is just shy of 1 million according to the OP. 950k in the US is a good guess I think.

(This also indicates the game pushed ~200k console sales at minimum).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
deepbrown said:
Gotta be around 2 million.

I think it's fair to say that Europe is closer to the US than Japan, so I'd say around 2.75 million.

gregor7777 said:
absolutely. I was thinking ~100k

Like I said in the first page and the other thread, it sold EXACTLY what NG1 on XBX sold.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PSGames said:
Very good showing for NG2! :D
Hm, what are those DMC4 sales?

duk

Banned
Opiate said:
I think LBP is effectively the last chance any system has to significantly disturb the Wii in the west. I think it's unlikely to do so (it's very late in the generation for significant shifts in image) but it's possible.

wat?

Top Bottom