• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Duxxy3

360 should get a bump with the fire sale but should plummet again as the 20GB systems sell out. The 360 needs a real price drop.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It was not MGS4 that pushed PS3's in June, it was the Gift Card offers being pushed by Wal-Mart and than Target/Best Buy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Deku said:
Weaker than expected Wii hardware and I don't think its supply constrained.

You think wrong.

It's easier to find.

But it is still constrained in many places. I've, to this day, never seen one in a Wal-Mart. Ever. And I shop there weekly.

jonabbey

bloody pirate said:
Actually you should see a major shift in hardware in july.. this new price drop is causing a buzz.. expect to see a spike next month of about 500k range.. the price drop took forever BUT MS will see alot of benefits from it.. it was long over due

We really need some admins up in here to look at the ban bet you made in the previous thread.

Touchdown

Banned
2py40fcjpg.gif

seat

Seiken said:
No, Kojima ought to give Sony 24 hour blowjobs! I mean, MGS4 would only be that awesome on the PS3!
Hell yes! Eight-minute mandatory install times, only possible on PS3!

kbear

Just wanted to say I like this trend of simple thread titles. The E3 conference threads and now NPD. It just makes it easier to read when you're scanning down the topic list. I can't stand those long, obnoxious, capitalized thread titles that are trying to be funny but never are (nerd humor).

I was hoping Battlefield would sell more... my favorite multi-player of this gen. It's a very nice number, but 500k+ was what I was expecting. Army of Two sold like 600k its first month so this doesn't really make any sense.

Opiate

For any long time franchise moving to the 360/PS3, I think virtually every game has had truncated legs compared to its predecessors on previous systems.

Most of the games in the recent past have had openings commensurate with -- or in GTA IV's case, surpassing those -- of their previous iterations. And yet, most have managed to sell less than they did previously anyway, because the casual consumers aren't there to give the game legs past the first month or two.

Another example is MGS4 in Japan, where the first week put the game on pace with MGS2/3, but then a sharper drop off than normal is likely to put it at 20-25% below those games in LTD.

However, the opening for MGS4 in the US is so enormous that I suspect it will surpass its immediate predecessor even if it does experience a dropping off here like it did in Japan. This game could likely go on to break 3.6 Million LTD, which is better than MGS3. It's uncommon for a franchise in decline to break the trend, but MGS may have done just that.

Great numbers this month for PS3 and MGS4. As expected, the Wii and the DS are still untouchable.
I think what really pushed PS3 hardware sales was definitely theWalmart $100 gift card for the MGS4 bundle. This probably pushed a lot of people who were on the edge due to the price.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
clearacell said:
Wow, looks like MGS4 has about the same hardware pushing power as Halo, especially considering it's a non-holiday season. Losing FFXIII exclusivity means we may not see this kind of hardware differential between the 360 and PS3 for a long time.

Microsoft learns fast. They're like the robot in The Matrix Revolutions.

Victrix

*beard*
I'd be happier about NG2 sales if I knew it meant we'd be getting a patch.

Or that the rapetransaction mission mode was free. Like the costumes.

Blech. Great game, but the Tecmo mess casts a cloud.

legend166

Ninja Gaiden 2 only sold 10k more than Ninja Gaiden 1 did in it's first month on the XBox. And I think it will have a bigger drop off. So, yeah.

Deku said:
Weaker than expected Wii hardware and I don't think its supply constrained. Supply > demand is what it looks like in many locations.

GH DS did gangbusters. Someone's getting a huge bonus considering Activision originally did not even consider it for the platform.

Top 10 looks like a Media Create thread.

Good showing for MGS4/PS3
It's still supply.

ZeoVGM

Banned
kbear said:
Just wanted to say I like this trend of simple thread titles. The E3 conference threads and now NPD. It just makes it easier to read when you're scanning down the topic list. I can't stand those long, obnoxious, capitalized thread titles that are trying to be funny but never are (nerd humor)

Can someone edit the thread title?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
legend166 said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 only sold 10k more than Ninja Gaiden 1 did in it's first month on the XBox. And I think it will have a bigger drop off. So, yeah.

Tecmo games normally ship a cool million, I don't think that they care.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
PS3 has been trending upward, though. MS already blew their chance of taking a commanding lead over the PS3 in the USA, and now Sony has stepped up to the plate. PS3 has been neck and neck with the 360 this year and will continue to accelerate. PS3 just offers better value for the money, period. MS is trying to stretch things out too far, and now 360 sales are starting to stagnate. The same thing happened to the PSP, and the system hasn't truly recovered. Now, X360 still has a decent hardcore base looking at software sales, but the 360 does not have the 'mojo' to hit a more casual audience.

So with the fire sale this week and the announcment of FF XIII when do you expect Sony to catch up with that ~5.7 million lead in the US. I'll give you hint, next-gen. As with last Christmas I do not even see Sony coming close to the HW the 360 will push for Nov/Dec. So basically what they have done YTD on that 6 million lead I see vanishing in about a month to two month time period.

Azrael

Two lessons from this are.

1. Gamers do care about BC. Sony had better be working on a PS2 emulator firmware update and get it out ASAP. Although Jack's recent interview make me think it's unlikely.

2. Developing new 1st party IPs is no match for the strength of established brands, which is why not moneyhatting Final Fantasy in favor of first party development is insane. Now that they've lost FFXIII exclusivity, they need something of the magnitude of an exclusive FFVII remake. But even if Sony was willing to make the deal for it, I doubt Square has enough staff to take on another project of that scope.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:
I TOLD YOU GUYS! I TOLD YOU MGS4 IS MORE POWERFUL THAN GTA4!

BUT NO, YOU WOULDN'T LISTEN!

Maybe it had something to do with, oh I don't know, MGS4 being exclusive?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Its funny to see some people rejoice at PS3 selling more than Xbox 360, specially after the FF13 deal.

I guess they were really that mad about the announcement :lol :lol :lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
cool beans. everyone did good. nice to see a healthy market/. :D

MrDaravon

ahoyhoy said:
It was not MGS4 that pushed PS3's in June, it was the Gift Card offers being pushed by Wal-Mart and than Target/Best Buy.

That's actually a good point, I'd forgotten about that. That is actually why I got my PS3 when I did, I had been planning to just borrow the system from a friend. I guess we'll need to see if this is a a trend or not yet. IIRC the 360 really only got one noticable bump from Halo 3, but it that was in September, so it's hard to say what kind of legs it possibly gave it through that holiday. Since we're much earlier in the year, it's going to be much more obvious if MGS4 continues to push systems or not through the summer.

Kandrick said:
Its funny to see some people rejoice at PS3 selling more than Xbox 360, specially after the FF13 deal.

Mediocre bait... way too obvious.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm disappointed that BF:BC for PS3 didn't seem to sell close close to the 360's numbers. I'm imagining this trend will change in the near future i guess.

Frillen

bloody pirate said:
Actually you should see a major shift in hardware in july.. this new price drop is causing a buzz.. expect to see a spike next month of about 500k range.. the price drop took forever BUT MS will see alot of benefits from it.. it was long over due

HELL no.

Kandrick said:

whats there to be mad about? i'm sure whatever month FF13 comes out.. Sony will wax that ass then as well

SRG01

EvilLore, you can use the CODE tag to improve the formatting on the dollar figures if you want to. It has precise 1:1 spacing on all characters.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
seat said:
Hell yes! Eight-minute mandatory install times, only possible on PS3!
Well I'll be damned, I pretty much prefer that over eight DISCS, waddaya say? I mean we've already reached half that with Lost Odyssey!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kandrick said:

Just like September was the 360 month to gloat, this is the Sony month to gloat. Let them have it. The real battle starts next month going into the end of the year.

Dante

Kandrick said:

:lol

Opiate

HallucinatingElvis said:
I'm not sure why everyone is quick to discredit GTA4, isnt it just under 10 million across both platforms?

It is. GTA:SA moved over 20 million on both the PS2 and Xbox. We can safely assume the game won't get ~10 million more in sales at this point, which means it's going to have a steep drop off in sales (as in, millions less than the last game) after steadily increasing in sales from GTA III to GTA:VC to GTA:SA.

Top Bottom