• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

icecream said:
For such exclusives the question is never 'will it sell more on two versus one' because the answer is always yes. The question is 'will it sell enough on one?'

so why would you post that perhaps s-e jumped in early? i mean you just admitted that it'll sell more this way. obviously selling more is better than selling just enough. o_O

explain your logic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loudninja said:
yeah LBP will do better IMO.
I think LBP will sell more PS3s than Resistance 2. However R2 will sell more copies than LBP.

bloody pirate said:
Wat? no one wanted to bet me.. oh well.. theres always next month
Cork-1.gif

abacab driver said:
MGS4 moved 186,000 more units than 360..thats a nice chunk!
If MGS4 wasn't their biggest title of the year, I would say things are looking up for them..

Resistance 2 might be just as big

also attention sony, dont stop selling the MGS4 bundle until you have a LBP or R2 bundle ready

stewacide

Seiken said:
No, Kojima ought to give Sony 24 hour blowjobs! I mean, MGS4 would only be that awesome on the PS3!

Which reminds me, how long until the 360 port is out? What kind of exclusivity windows does Sony have?

There's no way they're leaving that money on the table.

Opiate said:
It is. GTA:SA moved over 20 million on both the PS2 and Xbox. We can safely assume the game won't get ~10 million more in sales at this point, which means it's going to have a steep drop off in sales (as in, millions less than the last game) after steadily increasing in sales from GTA III to GTA:VC to GTA:SA.

so are you suggesting it's a failure just as others seem to be?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Go Sony. Seriously that is awesome news for them. MGS4 may be the last 3rd party mega-exclusive of this Gen and is worth every unit.

legend166

Riskbreaker23 said:
Resistance 2 might be just as big

also attention sony, dont stop selling the MGS4 bundle until you have a LBP or R2 bundle ready

As far as we know, Resistance didn't even sell 1 million in the US. And it was a launch title. I definitely think the sequel will see improved sales, but it's not bigger than MGS4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loudninja said:
I think so.
What the fuck :lol ?
stewacide said:
Which reminds me, how long until the 360 port is out? What kind of exclusivity windows does Sony have?

There's no way they're leaving that money on the table.

schuelma said:
Mario Kart world wide is going to sell a shit ton...like maybe 10 million when all is said and done.
Like I said, it will most likely outsell GTA IV 360(at least) in the USA, and I am fairly certain it will outsell GTA IV WW, all combined SKU when everything is done.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Clinton514 said:
Who the hell is them? Why do you people talk like this? :lol

Come on :lol Don't act like there aren't clearly drawn lines on this board. This is a banner month for Sony and it's fans. Will it last? Who knows. Let Sony and their fans enjoy it.

I don't understand people saying S-E jumped the gun by announcing FFXIII as multi-platform. they have nothing to lose by doing so, only to gain by getting more sales. I doubt they care how many PS3's are sold.

Clinton514

Agent Icebeezy said:
Come on :lol Don't act like there aren't clearly drawn lines on this board. This is a banner month for Sony and it's fans. Will it last? Who knows. Let Sony and their fans enjoy it.
I'm just playin', don't shank me if I don't choose the 'right side'. :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Loudninja said:
Sure you don't, but I am telling it will be hit.

The biggest games so for for the PS3 are GTA, CoD 4, and MGS4.

I'm really doubting LBP's ability to tap into that userbase.

I'm happy with those MGS4 sales. Also, I can't believe the Wii outsold the PS3 + 360 combined this month, despite MGS4 bringing in so many extra PS3 sales.

Agent Icebeezy said:

As in the puny human.

We know who the Hulk is.

Frillen said:
Am I the only who think LBP will bomb big time on the Shooterstation 3?

Bomb big time? Yes I think you're one of the few... but you also are one of the few to use shooterstation so maybe there's a connection.

pewye

Banned
holy shit at Wii and DS. :O These two consoles are changing the gaming industry and the way we look at it.

PS3 had a great bump.

Xisiqomelir

HallucinatingElvis said:
I'm not sure why everyone is quick to discredit GTA4, isnt it just under 10 million across both platforms world wide?

Because hardlycore pap like GTA4 and Madden do far more to "hurt gaming" than any number of Wii ____ or ____ Training titles ever could. Seeing it fall out of sight is delightful.

icecream said:
For such exclusives the question is never 'will it sell more on two versus one' because the answer is always yes. The question is 'will it sell enough on one?'

Whaaaaaaaat? These are for-profit corporations, son. "Enough" is never as good as "more."

Loudninja said:
yeah LBP will do better IMO.

Than MGS?! Whaaaaa.... oh. Loudninja. Gotcha.

Wallach

In my opinion, there's really only 3 stories here that stand out:

1 - MGS4: Very surprising to see it come out that strong and simultaneously pick up hardware sales as much as it did. That's close to the MGS3 LTD in the first month, on an install base that pales in comparison. A great success for Konami all around, and a much needed breath of air for Sony.

2 - DS Hardware: Okay, seriously. What the fuck. We are but simple men, and this is the Dread Cthulhu. It hasn't even hit $99 yet. When it does... well, "Cthulhu fhtagn" as they say.

3 - Wii Hardware: Finally, the Wii has taken the top billing in the NA market thus fulfilling the contract with Lucifer and sealing the fate of "hardcore" gamers everywhere. It's going to be interesting to see how MS will spin this angle in the PR, though I suspect it will simply fall back on "we're not competing with them". Nintendo says the same, though maybe not for the same reason.

As for GTAIV, it actually doesn't surprise me to see it fall out of the top 10. I didn't expect either version to remain there unless software sales were particularly disappointing, and there were too many releases in June for that to happen. Considering GTA is now sharing the wealth with both the 360 and PS3, it would take pretty sizable legs for either version to break into the top 10 with the split between them being as close as it is. At best I figured the 360 version might take the 9 or 10 spot, but with the numbers for those spots being as they are it doesn't really surprise me it has slipped. I haven't seen the extended NPD listing but I imagine the two versions combined still probably hit around 300k.

Frillen

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't understand people saying S-E jumped the gun by announcing FFXIII as multi-platform. they have nothing to lose by doing so, only to gain by getting more sales. I doubt they care how many PS3's are sold.

Let the Sony fans have it this month. Next month it will be back to normal even though I predict the PS3 to outsell the 360 that month as well.

Yoshichan

gregor7777 said:
Wow, so yeah, you're pretty much throwing away your credibility in this thread.
Credibility, haha! Wat?

Opiate

HallucinatingElvis said:
so are you suggesting it's a failure just as others seem to be?

No. My point is, as I said, that the franchise is now declining in sales instead of increasing. Do we agree that this is true?

icecream

Public Health Threat
WickedLaharl said:
so why would you post suggest that s-e jumped in early? i mean you just admitted that'll sell more this way. obviously selling more is better than selling just enough. o_O
Then it comes down again to the question of why is anything non-first party not multiplatform. Presumably if it sells enough to make the developer happy, moves enough hardware to male the console company happy, and throw in a few incentives, a game becomes exclusive.

If increased sales on multiple consoles was all S-E was ever looking for, their games would have been multiplatform years ago.

Arde5643

schuelma said:
The biggest games so for for the PS3 are GTA, CoD 4, and MGS4.

I'm really doubting LBP's ability to tap into that userbase.
Same here.

PS3 fans seem to be mostly the same type of fans of 360 so genres that aren't big sellers in 360 probably indicates what types of games will work on PS3.

FrankT

Frillen said:
Am I the only who think LBP will bomb big time on the Shooterstation 3?

I honestly do not see it pushing a lot of HW for the month at least by US NPD standards and certainly not what we saw for June NPD. There were so many factors for this month, you had the Blu Ray deal, MGS4 and the Limited Edition 80gig bundles that seem to have sold a majority of the sales for June NPD. MGS4 was the biggest gun for the year on the system.

Top Bottom