• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

laserbeam

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Wasn't there an article about Nintendo cutting shipments to NA due to the weak dollar?

Theres speculation of that. this is really only the first month we havent seen growth in weekly sales in awhile. Though I strongly think Holiday Sales are a factor. Its horde time for the holidays

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Vilix said:
Maybe it had something to do with, oh I don't know, MGS4 being exclusive?
That's what I told them but nooooo, they wouldn't listen!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kandrick said:
Its funny to see some people rejoice at PS3 selling more than Xbox 360, specially after the FF13 deal.

I guess they were really that mad about the announcement :lol :lol :lol
Wait hold the press Is FF13 only for the 360?!?!

Yes I know it's for both BTW

icecream

Public Health Threat
Kandrick said:
Its funny to see some people rejoice at PS3 selling more than Xbox 360, specially after the FF13 deal.
Because it proves that established exclusives sell very well on the PS3. Perhaps S-E Jumped In a bit to early?

donny2112

Actual

yoy_360-4.png

yoy_PS3-4.png

yoy_WII-4.png

USJapan_PS360-4.png

Estimated

WWConsoles-11.png

PS360vsWII-9.png

legend166

Opiate said:
It is. GTA:SA moved over 20 million on both the PS2 and Xbox. We can safely assume the game won't get ~10 million more in sales at this point, which means it's going to have a steep drop off in sales (as in, millions less than the last game) after steadily increasing in sales from GTA III to GTA:VC to GTA:SA.

The price of not releasing it on the biggest seller.

Seiken said:
Well I'll be damned, I pretty much prefer that over eight DISCS, waddaya say? I mean we've already reached half that with Lost Odyssey!

I like your methodology: # of discs at present x arbitrary factor = hyperbole

duk

Banned
Mrbob said:
PS3 has been trending upward, though. MS already blew their chance of taking a commanding lead over the PS3 in the USA, and now Sony has stepped up to the plate.

so when does ps3 overtake 360 in US?

Agent Icebeezy said:
Just like September was the 360 month to gloat, this is the Sony month to gloat. Let them have it. The real battle starts next month going into the end of the year.

I agree with this young man.. the battle will start Post too human where MS momentum will start for the rest of the year.. followed by fable 2 banjo and the mega gears of war 2.. and maybe another price drop if were lucky

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gregor7777 said:
You're right, I'm certain amazing sound quality was what moved all those units.
No, it was the overall amazing experience, only possible on the PS3, that moved those units.

Evlar

Banned
Side note: Mario Kart Wii's presence in the top 10 is stunning considering the complete lack of stock. No one has received shipments of the game in at least three weeks, and several major sites (Target, Gamestop) don't even have a listing for the game at the moment. They must have sold those 322k in the first two weeks or so of the recording period.

icecream said:
Because it proves that established exclusives sell very well on the PS3. Perhaps S-E Jumped In a bit to early?

really? So you actually think that being on two platforms FF will sell less then if it had been on just one??

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
EviLore said:

08. WII LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 294.5K
09. NDS LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 260.3K

^ ^ ^
THIRD PARTY GAMES SELL BEST ON NINTENDO PLATFORMS. DEBATE OVER. END OF DISCUSION.

NeoXDeath

Banned
Nintendomination and all that. I'm actually starting to tire of our new overlords, since he seems intent on sleeping with my sister and thats not cool.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Seiken said:
No, Kojima ought to give Sony 24 hour blowjobs! I mean, MGS4 would only be that awesome on the PS3!
Sarcasm right? :lol

Sony should be thankful for their biggest system seller of the year.

lol @ wii fans saying core franchises should go wii
Maybe gta isn't the holy grail of third party software anymore?
Instead it's maybe stuff like COD and Ass Creed. You can bet Acti and Ubi are pretty happy with the sales of both of these franchises.

currgenchart.jpg

Here's a non-launch-aligned chart for the current consoles and portables. I think it illustrates the current hardware situation better than the normal, launch-aligned charts. It really shows the Wii's faster rise, and also shows how much of a head start the portables still retain.

I'd love to see a software unit sales version of this...we still have so little idea of the software landscape. The portables rarely have games on the top of the charts...and the 360/Wii lines would certainly look different. The Wii managed to to overtake the 360 in monthly software sales before it had more units in homes, but it's got to still be quite a ways back in overall game sales...the 360's year head start was loaded with hits.

Anyone have total software unit sales by system? I know we get some figures...

Opiate said:
It is. GTA:SA moved over 20 million on both the PS2 and Xbox. We can safely assume the game won't get ~10 million more in sales at this point, which means it's going to have a steep drop off in sales (as in, millions less than the last game) after steadily increasing in sales from GTA III to GTA:VC to GTA:SA.

Didn't the PS2 and Xbox (combined together) have a larger combined install base relative to this same point in time in this generation?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mario Kart world wide is going to sell a shit ton...like maybe 10 million when all is said and done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems Guitar Hero DS 2 was not a bad move after all.

Just bump up the frigging song count and make the songs good and we'll be golden.

Alcibiades

Wii held off PS3 despite it's biggest exclusive yet. Not bad.

If Nintendo really wants to play bully they need to increase shipments of Wii, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart.

Not that 3rd parties have done anything smart this gen, but if someone like Konami were to take the budget they allocated the MGS4 and tell Kojima or some other superb talent to get started on a grand scale Wii project to be released in 2010 or 2011 (in other words, long term development not a quickie cash-in), that company would be very, very rich sometime down the road.

MGS4 moved 186,000 more units than 360..thats a nice chunk!
If MGS4 wasn't their biggest title of the year, I would say things are looking up for them..

icecream

Public Health Threat
HallucinatingElvis said:
really? So you actually think that being on two platforms FF will sell less then if it had been on just one??
For such exclusives the question is never 'will it sell more on two versus one' because the answer is always yes. The question is 'will it sell enough on one?'

donny2112

sionyboy said:
Ahhhh Cause and Effect, I do enjoy that episode. I only wish Frasier had a bigger speaking part.

Shameful. You consider yourself a Star Trek fan?
Jem-Hadar destroying the Odyssey on Deep Space Nine. Frasier just nicked the nacelle, which eventually led to a warp core breach.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stoney Mason said:
Didn't the PS2 and Xbox (combined together) have a larger combined install base relative to this same point in time in this generation?

That's the point.

Tideas

Banned
Stoney Mason said:

a better example would have been to use the original GTA3, and it's first 2 months sales

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
abacab driver said:
If MGS4 wasn't their biggest title of the year, I would say things are looking up for them..

Thats the problem, will PS3 still sell at this rate without big exclusive games such a MGS4 ? Its not looking that bright.

And

Wii 666.7k
Nintendo DS 783k

Seriously amazing.

Dante

abacab driver said:

It's not their biggest title as far as advertising push goes. LBP, and R2 are supposed to dwarf that, as well as them pushing Blu Rays victory heavy this xmas.

Clinton514

Agent Icebeezy said:
Just like September was the 360 month to gloat, this is the Sony month to gloat. Let them have it. The real battle starts next month going into the end of the year.
Who the hell is them? Why do you people talk like this? :lol

Loudninja

Dante said:
It's not their biggest title as far as advertising push goes. LBP, and R2 are supposed to dwarf that, as well as them pushing Blu Rays victory heavy this xmas.

yeah LBP will do better IMO.

legend166

Evlar said:
Side note: Mario Kart Wii's presence in the top 10 is stunning considering the complete lack of stock. No one has received shipments of the game in at least three weeks, and several major sites (Target, Gamestop) don't even have a listing for the game at the moment. They must have sold those 322k in the first two weeks or so of the recording period.

Mario Kart is going to have EPIC legs.

Will probably sell another million over the 08 holiday period, too.

Top Bottom