• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall Press Preview Thread

kpaadet

Well the gif is moving pretty fast, but the OWL actually shoots the rope out forward above him and then the player grabs onto it.

My problem was more that you can't just zipline down like that just using your hands, even if you are wearing gloves.

iPODajhHayT1N.gif

I love the how there are dust particles being highlighted by the OWL's flashlight right at the start. Overall, the lighting really makes the atmosphere feel so thick you could cut through it with a knife. Kinda has an underwatery feeling. And as someone who's really really fond of shadows seeing that the light casts an actual shadow of the railing on the left and the doorframe makes me feel all warm inside. Can't stop looking at this gif and makes me wonder if the OWL's light can be turned off and on anytime with the click of a button or if it turns on automatically under certain lighting conditions.

that gamereactor preview is a damn good read; got me more hyped than the screenshots

Yeah I really like Petter Hegewall. He has a deep passion for action games and first person shooters and he really understands what the games he's writing about is all about. His reviews of Crysis and Killzone 2 (which he both gave 10/10) got me more hyped about those games than all the screenshots and videos I saw. And it turned out that those games where pretty amazing.

madmackem

WOW i came back and was greeted by gifs, this is next gen fucking hell. As for the feb reveal i think the finished product looks even better, look at the atmosphere between the two pics one is drab lacking lighting, the other from these shots looks dripping with atmosphere with incredable lighting. GG are the new naughty gods, and this is a launch title i just cant get my head around that thought.

Vire

WOW i came back and was greeted by gifs, this is next gen fucking hell. As for the feb reveal i think the finished product looks even better, look at the atmosphere between the two pics one is drab lacking lighting, the other from these shots looks dripping with atmosphere with incredable lighting. GG are the new naughty gods, and this is a launch title i just cant get my head around that thought.

Woah now.

Let's not go crazy here.

Woah now.

Let's not go crazy here.

At least not until we see what Naughty Dog has.

I can't believe we're already so close to launch. Feb 20th seems like it only just passed. Can't wait to get my hands on Shadow Fall, it will be the first game run on my PS4, and we can only imagine what the last one of next generation will look like.

Loudninja

After having spent three hours with two of the ten chapters of the campaign, it's perfectly clear what ter Heide is speaking of. The environments are larger than in Killzone 2 and there are always multiple paths to choose from. Alleys, ventilation shafts, secret doors and stair cases, all contribute towards a more well thought out and dynamic world.
"In singleplayer we prioritised wide open, inviting and, most importantly, varied environments over locking the framerate to 60 frames per second," says van der Leeuw. " For multiplayer it's far more important with 60 frames per second since it's about maximum precision at levels that approach a sport."
http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/96034/A+new+Killzone+for+a+new+generation/

Game should be decent length.

keezy

Game looks incredible. I'm just worried about the multiplayer aspect of it. I hope it's not another CoD. Hopefully it's a mix of Halo matchmaking/ranking with CS type game mechanics. That would be perfect IMO :)

Hardly, except they will cause shimmering lines on buildings and stuff (curved and diagonal lines) . But i think the characters and guns will mostly look clean as fuck.
Sadly i see no use of that AA they have been working on with Sony.

IIRC, KZ3 used this technique whereas KZ2 didn't?

I remember seeing screenshots of KZ3 and being amazed, yet when I played the game, their was this shimmering shit all over the place. Stupidly, I got extremely OCD over the whole thing - especially when there was reviews saying how much better this new technique was and that there wasn't any jaggies ffs! Much preferred the AA technique in KZ2 (but in fairness that game was overall dark so maybe it was easier to do?) - here's hoping the shimmering isn't too bad. Having said that, just looked at some screenshots from Gamersyde and pics of the stairs look pretty shitty....

I'm a believer that although games do improve graphically over a console's life, I sometimes think it's more to do with 'prioritizing resources' rather than touching into stuff they didn't have time at launch to do - I suppose 'give & take'. I reckon I see this in a lot of games. If they can however keep this quality with improved effects, physics and an improved AA technique (one I think is actually better to my eyes at least lol!), then I'm gonna be very happy! :)

Well the gif is moving pretty fast, but the OWL actually shoots the rope out forward above him and then the player grabs onto it.

Small niggle but I really wish it wasn't a rope projected out and rather some new invention such as a magnetic light beam or something (not too bright though, perhaps something with a very very slight glow to it). Seems strange a rope can go out in a perfect strange line and also when you use it, especially on short distances, the end doesn't appear to be attached but in mid air iirc.

Cryoflar3

It think that looks awesome, the only thing I don't like is how he just grabs it with his hands. Kinda wished he had some kind of "futuristic sky hook" ala Bioshock Infinite, but its nitpicky stuff.

Well he is wearing futuristic gloves that may have reduced friction with the rope.

velociraptor

I remember seeing screenshots of KZ3 and being amazed, yet when I played the game, their was this shimmering shit all over the place. Stupidly, I got extremely OCD over the whole thing - especially when there was reviews saying how much better this new technique was and that there wasn't any jaggies ffs! Much preferred the AA technique in KZ2 (but in fairness that game was overall dark so maybe it was easier to do?) - here's hoping the shimmering isn't too bad. Having said that, just looked at some screenshots from Gamersyde and pics of the stairs look pretty shitty....

I'm a believer that although games do improve graphically over a console's life, I sometimes think it's more to do with 'prioritizing resources' rather than touching into stuff they didn't have time at launch to do - I suppose 'give & take'. I reckon I see this in a lot of games. If they can however keep this quality with improved effects, physics and an improved AA technique (one I think is actually better to my eyes at least lol!), then I'm gonna be very happy! :)

Small niggle but I really wish it wasn't a rope projected out and rather some new invention such as a magnetic light beam or something (not too bright though, perhaps something with a very very slight glow to it). Seems strange a rope can go out in a perfect strange line and also when you use it, especially on short distances, the end doesn't appear to be attached but in mid air iirc.
Killzone 2 used QXAA
Killzone 3 used MLAA

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't argue with this one not looking amazing. And fun as well. Especially the MP. I was debating on actually swapping this for BF4 to play with friends but the story intrigue and MP with those graphics brings me back to my senses.

Respawn

Banned
Holy fuck at those screens.

Easily the most impressive launch title. By far. On any console. Bar none. Etc. The scale combined with the polish and atmosphere... I almost can't believe I'm gonna get to play this on my tv in less than four weeks.

I didnt have to go far in this thread to fine a post that nearly matches what I'm thinking. Heck yeah. We're going in hard on the 15th.

GG are the new naughty gods.

Well let's not go overboard. Naughty Dog are likely to blow minds too when they show whatever they have, and their game will be a 2nd generation title so chances are it'll look even more polished. Like you said - KZ is a launch game.

Thrakier

Never trust reviewers and game journalists when they talk about tech. They don't see and know shit or they just don't name it "because".

Even though I'm excited for the way this looks, I can't wait until 2 years from now we come back and look at this and see how ancient it looks. Next gen is going to be amazing.

Kane1345

You better believe it.

You guys do amazing work Blim. In this day and age, where the "bigger" sites have terrible video players and horribly compressed screenshots that make games look way worse than the actually are, your site is a god send. Credit to you and I hope more people come to your site because those other sites are not outputting videos/pics anywhere near the quality we expect from next gen.

This game wins the " best explosions ever fucking seen in a videogame " award. Yes, yes it does.

Everytime I see one I just have to rewind over and over again.

Incredibly impressive job by GG for a launch title on new hardware with maybe 2 months of development on the final hardware. Sounds like the SP framerate is always above 30fps, never dipping below as they set it at a higher 40fps mark during normal sequences so they can afford some drops in framerate and still stay above 30. Smart move.

SP is sounding incredibly fun and it looks like everyone was impressed by the finished product. Christmas is going to be a killer wait, but that is my situation!

Seeing the work GG did on the environments. I am very interested to see what they are able to do with their RPG. The possibilities .... oh my.

image_killzone_shadow_fall-23538-2660_0004.jpg

The lighting. Man I am going to die alot because I am too busy staring at the environment.

Snookie

Wow awesome. I'm only getting this and knack at launch. I kinda want to get BF4 as well but I feel i'll be taking away from kz if I get another FPS. I just hope the multiplayer holds up and has enough to offer.

Z3M0G

ak3uyg.gif

That's the best breaking glass I've seen since Resitance: Fall of Man. Launch title pattern?

I would love to find a gif of it to demonstrate, but I can't find one...

Bailers

My problem was more that you can't just zipline down like that just using your hands, even if you are wearing gloves.

You have a miniature drone that flies out of your suit to shoot at enemies, project a force field, then back into your suit to repair when it is damaged.

I can take it on faith they've solved the friction on zip line thing.

I love the how there are dust particles being highlighted by the OWL's flashlight right at the start. Overall, the lighting really makes the atmosphere feel so thick you could cut through it with a knife. Kinda has an underwatery feeling.

I totally got an Abyss vibe from this shot.

just woke up and i'm twisting my mustache.

GG <3 overdelivering on a LAUNCH game.

also praise share button. someone get the ps4 screenshot thread ready.

Relax, no fun police.

It's okay to use your imagination. It's a video game. And videos games, much like hollywood movies, tend to bend the rules a little... because it's a fucking video game....set on a distant planet... 300 years in the future. God forbid they throw elements of fantasy in there like one arm zip lining .

Maybe his suit helps him perform these amazing feats. Believe.

http://abload.de/img/ak3uyg.gif[IMG]

That's the best breaking glass I've seen since Resitance: Fall of Man. Launch title pattern?

I would love to find a gif of it to demonstrate, but I can't find one...[/QUOTE]

The smoke clipping through the shotgun is bugging me more than it should.

So much stuff to get through....

The thing with KZ is that people look at the name and then don't give it a chance

How many people where shocked about the explosion gif and even more shocked when we said it was from KZ.... Heck some people don't even know KZ is in a SciFi setting and a lot if people ignorantly judge it as a COD game

Look at how many people watched the Story Trailer.... Even if GG would make a 10/10 story in SF a lot of individuals won't give it a chance ignorantly shoving it as another shooter with corridor shooting yet if they watched the latest SP gameplay they would know that it is not the case

Top Bottom