• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV- Official E3 Trailer

Ydelnae

There was/is? some sort of event about the Final Fantasy XV universe being streamed/aired in some Japanese TVs today. I doubt they will reveal or announce anything special other than typical promotion for the movie, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Damn, was not expecting such good impressions.
This comes to US theatres in August right?
What about digital?

Well yeah, I mean this is basically a spin on the footage people obsessed over for years so there was no doubt it was going to be good. Now we'll have to see if the game can measure up with so many important scenes shifted over to the movie instead.

Well yeah, I mean this is basically a spin on the footage people obsessed over for years so there was no doubt it was going to be good. Now we'll have to see if the game can measure up with so many important scenes shifted over to the movie instead.

Still skeptical on the main game?

wmlk

I really don't think the general Japanese audience obsessed over Versus. Most of them likely don't care.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Okay, I'm now deciding between these two:

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV |OT| A film of the VERSUS epic
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV |OT| For the future king

Or maybe Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV |OT| E3 redeemed, in Tabata we trust again
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV |OT| Thou Shalt Be King Hereafter

Ruff

I'm really looking forward to this, way more than the game itself at this point. I'm even considering watching the subbed version first which I hate doing.

Boke1879

I really don't think the general Japanese audience obsessed over Versus. Most of them likely don't care.

I think outside most of the devout followers since the beginning. Not many people care. To most people. This is FFXV. I mean outside of forums. Know one cares about the whole Stella/Luna thing.

Aters

I think outside most of the devout followers since the beginning. Not many people care. To most people. This is FFXV. I mean outside of forums. Know one cares about the whole Stella/Luna thing.

But then again, the early viewers are mostly like diehard fans.

OmegaDL50

No other KH game has been released digitally. I think it's even been commented on before that a digital release of KH games is hard due to various reasons.

On the PS3 yes, the PS4 is entirely different matter.

There is no current physical released PS4 game that did not get a digital release.

Ran rp

There is no current physical released PS4 game that did not get a digital release.

Has a digital release for 2.8 been confirmed yet?

edit: and i could've sworn there was a random physical game that wasn't available digitally. skylanders or some other toy game.

MilkBeard

Yeah, at least for KH3, I have a hard time believing that the new game will not be available digitally. I can understand the remasters though.

Aters

Is KH2.8 getting a digital release? If so I don't see why KH3 won't.
But Falk has been working with Shimomura and SE, I'd never bet against him.

Ray Down

Banned

PSP and 3DS didn't get there KH games digitally.

And no there's some Sega Puyo Puyo Tetris that isn't available digitally.

benzy

Outside of the reworked party scene and the showdown between Regis and Iedolas in that Lucis room, what else is there? Seems the majority of the scenes in the film are things we haven't seen yet.

OmegaDL50

PSP and 3DS didn't get there KH games digitally.

And no there's some Sega Puyo Puyo Tetris that isn't available digitally.

PSP and 3DS games don't install entirely to the HDD like physical PS4 games do. The differences between physical PS4 games and digital PS4 games is very minimal at best. Outside of installing the game initially and needing to keep it inside the console for verification of ownership. Outside of this point both PS4 physical and digital games are nearly identical in that event updates overwrite and outright replace the installed data from the disc when patches and digital content is released.

The same cannot be said for Digital 3DS or PSP games, so bad example.

Outside of the reworked party scene and the showdown between Regis and Iedolas in that Lucis room, what else is there? Seems the majority of the scenes in the film are things we haven't seen yet.

I agree. It seens the only thing they have in common is that the movie is about the invasion, but we don't know anything in how the invasion would unfold in the original game.

DeSolos

I think it's more that they basically cut out one of the best segments of the game and made it into a movie because selling it separately as a non-interactive product would be the only financially viable way to produce that part of the story. It's unlikely chapter 0 will be a worthy replacement.

It's similar to if FF7 started with an unwinnable bossfight with JENOVA and then cut to the wilderness before Kalm, but a month earlier a movie released called "MIDGAR: Final Fantasy VII".

EDIT:
https://youtu.be/4fAaBoYLqg0?t=49s

And from Itamuro herself: "We began by making a timeline of Noctis's life. When he was born, where he grew up, what motivated him, and so on. Then we determined which portions of that timeline we could feasibly include in the game. Once we realized what we couldn't fit into the game itself we sat down and tried to figure out if there was any way we could deliver the complete story to players. And that's when Kingsglaive and Brotherhood were born. So rather than existing as individual entities, the various entries in the FFXV franchise are actually separate parts of a single whole with each story presented in the most appropriate format. "

Philippo

I don't know, i actually expected the writing of everything else to be pretty bad tbh.

OmegaDL50

I think it's more that they basically cut out one of the best segments of the game and made it into a movie because selling it separately as a non-interactive product would be the only financially viable way to produce that part of the story. It's unlikely chapter 0 will be a worthy replacement.

It's similar to if FF7 started with an unwinnable bossfight with JENOVA and then cut to the wilderness before Kalm, but a month earlier a movie released called "MIDGAR: Final Fantasy VII".

I don't think anyone would expect an hour + long FMV cutscene for the full release of the game (Installation size considerations bearing).

It was either a heavily cut down and truncated version of the events of Kingsglaive in like a 10 minute opening cutscene, or do what they did and release a separate CGI film of reasonable length have likely has more details and information to provide that a 10 minute cutscene without tons of text summary could not.

Evidence suggests that parts of Kingsglaive were initially part of the opening CGI for Versus, there isn't anything to suggest portions of the game were removed.

I doubt the full vision of Versus compared to the scope and scale would have been achievable on the PS3 compared to the PS4 anyways. The better hardware allowed them to expand on the scope of the game in ways that would have been impossible on the PS3. I won't even go into the difficulties of dealing with the Cell which made development much more unnecessarily complicated than the platform shift to the PS4 and extra flexibility enabled.

OmegaDL50

Kingsglaive is (probably) going to be great. I think Brotherhood is really good despite the cheapish animation.

Why does it feel like everything else but the main game feel like a quality product?

The main game has only what, 1 not even 2 full chapters worth of information fully available to it, out what is supposedly a 40+ hour long game with majority of it's story not yet available or seen yet. That's a significant amount of story details and information that is relatively an unknown at this point.

I'd say it's best to wait until the full product is available rather then judging on the incomplete information given out thus far.

Why would KH3 not get a digital? That makes no sense.

To date, not a single KH game (aside from the mobile games) received North American digital releases largely due to Disney licensing issues. It's also why Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is no longer available digitally. Disney licensing contracts expire past a certain point.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is KH2.8 getting a digital release? If so I don't see why KH3 won't.
But Falk has been working with Shimomura and SE, I'd never bet against him.

I wasn't taking sides (would be kinda unethical) but offering to moderate an avatar bet.

Hence why I quoted both posts.

This is such BS. What does a few milliseconds of footage have a single iota to do with a feature length film's quality? You can't see a few literal frames of something and automatically assume the final version is going to be good.

People liked the final product - maybe because it's actually good and the final game itself will be good too - or I guess we can just make cynical excuses for why people liked something because it's FFXV so surely it has to be bad! No way it can be good!!

The cynics of this game have the worst arguments I've ever heard.

DeSolos

Evidence suggests that parts of Kingsglaive were initially part of the opening CGI for Versus, there isn't anything to suggest portions of the game were removed.

Except literally every showing of Versus and XV with Nomura as the director almost exclusively only showing that specific conflict, and 2 of the trailers being gameplay/gameplay mockups of that conflict.

I wouldn't say that we've lost much from the game, as it sounds like it still will have some sort of linear battle that goes through the city for the final battle(which is all it probably was in the first place), but they still cut powerful story content(the invasion and escape from a massive city, possible on screen death of main character's father, etc.) and replaced it with "Out of Gas Simulator 2016".

It's the story content that is the most concerning. Considering all of those plot points are literally the reason for the journey, it's really disappointing that we have to hear about it all through the grape vine. It's the classic "show don't tell" criticism, usually you show the most important parts of the story on screen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is such BS. What does a few milliseconds of footage have a single iota to do with a feature length film's quality? You can't see a few literal frames of something and automatically assume the final version is going to be good.

People liked the final product - maybe because it's actually good and the final game itself will be good too - or I guess we can just make cynical excuses for why people liked something because it's FFXV so surely it has to be bad! No way it can be good!!

The cynics of this game have the worst arguments I've ever heard.

Your reactionary post isn't doing you any favors. There was more than "milliseconds of footage" over the years and we now know a good portion of stuff shown from 2006-2013 was from the original beginning of the game, which was turned into the movie as they decided to cut the scale of the project from multiple games down to one. It makes sense that fans of the Versus days would enjoy seeing those ideas realized at least somewhere.

Top Bottom