• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV- Official E3 Trailer

OmegaDL50

Except literally every showing of Versus and XV with Nomura as the director almost exclusively only showing that specific conflict, and 2 of the trailers being gameplay/gameplay mockups of that conflict.

I wouldn't say that we've lost much from the game, as it sounds like it still will have some sort of linear battle that goes through the city for the final battle(which is all it probably was in the first place), but they still cut powerful story content(the invasion and escape from a massive city, possible on screen death of main character's father, etc.) and replaced it with "Out of Gas Simulator 2016".

It's the story content that is the most concerning. Considering all of those plot points are literally the reason for the journey, it's really disappointing that we have to hear about it all through the grape vine. It's the classic "show don't tell" criticism, usually you show the most important parts of the story on screen.

Didn't Tabata specifically make the claim that watching Kingsglaive or Brotherhood isn't necessary to fully experience and enjoy FFXV and understand the story and character motivations in terms of scope of the game from a story perspective. It does however complement and enrich the experience, but aren't a prerequisite or take away anything from the main game.

Some people may not take everything a developer says at face value, but considering this is the first time he had directorial duties mainline release of Square's largest franchise. I don't think these are the kind of risks one takes, especially when it could jeopardize his chances of working on a flagship title in the future.

It just seems there is too much at stake to take that sort of gamble and play around with the games story in such a manner.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't Tabata specifically make the claim that watching Kingsglaive or Brotherhood isn't necessary to fully experience and enjoy FFXV and understand the story and character motivations. It does however complement and enrich the experience, but aren't a prerequisite or take away anything from the main game.

Some people may not take everything a developer says at face value, but considering this is the first time he had directorial duties mainline release of Square's largest franchise. I don't think these are the kind of risks one takes, especially when it could jeopardize his chances of working on a flagship title in the future.

It just seems there is too much at stake to take that sort of gamble and play around with the games story in such a manner.

Last week he said he really wants fans to watch the movie first now, to get the whole experience with regards to the story. One of my friends who saw it said the movie really made him care about the coming narrative so there's that.

MilkBeard

Yeah, when the development was changed from trilogy to one game, some things would have to be cut/truncated.

I'm personally okay with this, because with Nomura's vision of the trilogy, I feel that Versus XIII would actually be a much smaller scope as a singular game in the trilogy.

There would also be the risk of dragging out a game into multiple games over many years whether people actually like it or not (like the XIII series).

The movie seems to be good so this was a good decision as least as far as that part is concerned.

But personally, I'm not a huge fan of Nomura's games (not really into Kingdom Hearts or the action 'rpg-lite' gameplay the series has) so I'm cool with what has changed.

Ran rp

hey, the bet was between me and OmegaDL50! since they didn't take it i guess that's that.

¯\_(ツ')_/¯

OmegaDL50

Last week he said he really wants fans to watch the movie first now, to get the whole experience with regards to the story.

See this just comes across as inconsistent to me and is my biggest issue.

There was first the thing with the reaper worship which is why Lucis royalty and closest workers within the Lucis royal family wore black, but then that changed to represent those closest to the Lucis royal family and organizations within it's ranks.

Then there was Tabata saying FFXV could be enjoyed story wise as a standalone experience and Brotherhood and Kingsglaive weren't necessary, but would add to the experience.

And now he's saying Kingsglaive is important to the game and shouldn't be avoided.

This is my only issue with FFXV the inconsistencies. I hope some of this is just some kind of lost in translation thing. Probably not though.

Aters

Yeah, when the development was changed from trilogy to one game, some things would have to be cut/truncated.

I'm personally okay with this, because with Nomura's vision of the trilogy, I feel that Versus XIII would actually be a much smaller scope as a singular game in the trilogy.

There would also be the risk of dragging out a game into multiple games over many years whether people actually like it or not (like the XIII series).

The movie seems to be good so this was a good decision as least as far as that part is concerned.

But personally, I'm not a huge fan of Nomura's games (not really into Kingdom Hearts or the action 'rpg-lite' gameplay the series has) so I'm cool with what has changed.

I think it's a smart move on SE's part to get FFVXIII done in one game, but then they make FFVIIRE a multiple release. Sometimes I really don't know how this company make business decision. I'm not a big fan of KH either. I played a few of them just because I like Disney. Though I have to say TWEWY is a masterful game. Nomura certainly has talent.

DeSolos

Didn't Tabata specifically make the claim that watching Kingsglaive or Brotherhood isn't necessary to fully experience and enjoy FFXV and understand the story and character motivations in terms of scope of the game from a story perspective. It does however complement and enrich the experience, but aren't a prerequisite or take away anything from the main game.

To be clear, I'm sure all the plot points will be presented in the game, but the plot points that happen in the movie cannot be presented directly as Noctis is not present when they happen.

So you get scenes like the one in Galdin Quay, a resort hotel, where they find out their city was taken over and his father was killed in a newspaper...

I doubt all the important movie plot points will be handled so flippantly, but SERIOUSLY. Of all the ways to introduce it, did it have to be reading about it? I mean they literally drive there right after that, why not come up with any reason for them to just have to go back at that point, and have them see it with their own eyes. Reading about it, and then driving their to confirm it really seems to rob this plot point of its punch

OmegaDL50

PSY・S;209246505 said:
hey, the bet was between me and OmegaDL50! since they didn't take it i guess that's that.

¯\_(ツ')_/¯

I never saw it as an issue. Even if it was problem with Disney and limited licensing, wouldn't that just mean they remove it from the PSN store.

Then again none of SE's PS2 releases were released as PS2 Classics, KH wasn't the only outlier in this case. but the remastered FFX / X-2 was the only exception it seems.

I haven't seen the same issues with the PS4 however, outside of some obscure cross gen Puyo Puyo game, I don't think there is other examples of physical PS4 stuff not releasing digitally, but whatevers.

Did Nomura watch the movie?
I doubt Nomura cares for this bastardized version.

I think it's a smart move on SE's part to get FFVXIII done in one game, but then they make FFVIIRE a multiple release. Sometimes I really don't know how this company make business decision. I'm not a big fan of KH either. I played a few of them just because I like Disney. Though I have to say TWEWY is a masterful game. Nomura certainly has talent.

Well, they are banking that FF7r is a sure thing but if the first entry isn't well received.. Well the follow ups will sell less.

MilkBeard

It's easy to see why, though. Nomura wanted the trilogy to happen, but I'm guessing that Tabata changed that plan.

Also, I'm guessing that the trilogy release of FF VIIRE is so that people can actually play it in a timely manner, instead of waiting 5-6 years while they complete the whole thing.

FF VII is absolutely massive as well. It's likely that XV will be bigger in terms of actual space, but the number of events that take place in FFVII will still probably be higher.

OmegaDL50

I doubt Nomura cares for this bastardized version.

Well, they are banking that FF7r is a sure thing but it the first entry isn't well received.. Well the follow ups will sell less.

Sounds like what happened to the FFXIII trilogy. The first game sold the most and each subsequent game sold less and less than the previous title.

FFVII:R Episode 1 needs to really ignite / kickstart the trilogy and set the tone. It would be terribly embarrassing if they floundered what is to be the introduction of a series of what is one of the most heavily demanded remakes of a game in history. I hope that sort of nightmare scenario never comes to pass.

Sounds like what happened to the FFXIII trilogy. The first game sold the most and each subsequent game sold less and less than the previous title.

FFVII:R Episode 1 needs to really ignite / kickstart the trilogy and set the tone. It would be terribly embarrassing if they floundered one of the most heavily demanded remakes of a game in history, so that hope we don't come that nightmare scenario.

Let's hope so man.. It's a huge gamble just cause they've been open on doing things differently. Story elements tweaked, new scenarios perhaps added/cut and the switch to action got a lot of OG fans angry.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nomura is only human. I'd think even if he is dissatisfied with the XV Universe at present (pure unconfirmed speculation), he would find it difficult to completely ignore it.

These are still his concepts at the end of the day, so I'm sure he'll check it all out.

kurahador

I imagine this would be his reaction when ppl asks him;

DZTXhmC.gif

Akainu

Last week he said he really wants fans to watch the movie first now, to get the whole experience with regards to the story. One of my friends who saw it said the movie really made him care about the coming narrative so there's that.

I hate shit like this is there a book too?

Nomura is only human. I'd think even if he is dissatisfied with the XV Universe at present (pure unconfirmed speculation), he would find it difficult to completely ignore it.

These are still his concepts at the end of the day, so I'm sure he'll check it all out.

Speculation that Nomura is dissatisfied? From what source?

I'm planning to do just that. The movie sounds like it was made to fill in story gaps for the game, or at least set up events.

Also, it looks gorgeous. As long as the action is as ridiculous and over the top like in FFVII:ACC I'll be happy with it.

Go_Ly_Dow

What? I remember this but I'm pretty sure he's saying this because it will be the conclusion if the Xehanort arc so he wants Sora to suffer a little through his way to the end.

This is NeoGAF son. We interpret small comments a little differently around these parts. :p

Go_Ly_Dow

Nomura should fix is model before putting him in though the ringer.

I was thinking that the KH3 game play models sucked because of UE4. But then I remembered that FF7R is also using UE4 and that the character models look quite shit hot in that.

Perhaps it's a technical or budget constraint over a design choice.

I hope they are placeholder...

Bladenic

FFVII:R Episode 1 needs to really ignite / kickstart the trilogy and set the tone. It would be terribly embarrassing if they floundered what is to be the introduction of a series of what is one of the most heavily demanded remakes of a game in history. I hope that sort of nightmare scenario never comes to pass.

Sorry, but they said that FF7R would be three installments? So like one per disc?

It's funny that all these impressions are glowing when the actual game instead cuts to Noctis and crew learning about the events of the movie from a fucking newspaper front page and going "Omg what do we do". ��

theofficefan99

It's funny that all these impressions are glowing when the actual game instead cuts to Noctis and crew learning about the events of the movie from a fucking newspaper front page and going "Omg what do we do". ��

Yeah I really don't know what the hell they were thinking going with the newspaper approach.

Haha, I actually loved his comment, I hope Sora faces really difficult times in KH III.

That thread was gold. Gold!

Either he puts Sora through hell in KH3 or he uses FFVIIR to express his burning desire to do a dark project as stated in this old interview:

Nomura: "There's been times when I've wanted to take FF in a completely different direction than the game's producer has wanted. I'm not saying that his or mine opinions have been right or wrong, just different. One thing I've always wanted to explore deeper is human emotions. By going in that direction, you risk to make the target group for the game narrower, and FF is appreciated by a very large audience. But with Versus XIII, it feels like the right time to take that risk. Since the script isn't done yet, I still don't know exactly how far I dare to go, but I know I want to squeeze humanity out of these characters. I want Versus to feel in the entire body."

Q: "You've also said that this is going to be the darkest FF game ever."

A: "When I produced Kingdom Hearts, I was in a world so bright that I almost got blinded. So now I want to do something completely different. Maybe it has something to do with my love for extremes. FFvXIII is about man in the real world. In that sense, the game will contain less fantasy than usual We've created some dark environments and shown them in our trailers. But the entire game won't look like that; we've only just begun."

Q: "When you talk about the real world, do you mean modern life on Earth?"

A: "I don't want the characters in the game to feel fabricated, so my focus lies on designing them through their humanity. They have to be perceived as humans, as someone you and I could meet in reality. The world in Versus is reminiscent with the one we live in today. That doesn't mean I'm inspired by locations or persons that actually exist, it's more of a feeling that the characters and locations are believeable, like something you'd be able to find in your daily life. I want to take this concept and make it into an FF experience. That's the challenge I've given myself, anyway."

Q: "So that's how you will use the power of the PS3?"

A: "The PS3 is such a powerful machine that the technical possibilities have a great influence over the game design and in the end, the entire game experience. I can't go into details about my ideas, but many of them would never have been possible during the last console generation."

Or both. Hahaha

It's fucking awful is what it is.

Disregarding how iimpossible it would be to not know about the events since they have smartphones, it would be a cool story moment if Noctis was also pissed at the ridiculousness of finding out his home is in ruins from a newspaper instead of those closest to him informing him.

It's fucking awful is what it is.

Funny thing is that I'm more looking forward to the movie after some of these glowing reviews than I am the story of the game because of what Square has presented. Unfortunately it seems the game's story will suffer immensely from losing the events of the movie and even the anime.

Ray Down

Banned
Disregarding how iimpossible it would be to not know about the events since they have smartphones, it would be a cool story moment if Noctis was also pissed at the ridiculousness of finding out his home is in ruins from a newspaper instead of those closest to him informing him.

Communications can simply be jammed, hell 2014 TGS trailer says this.

theofficefan99

I'm assuming something happens where reception in Lucis is cut off lol (only thing that makes even a shred of sense)

Yeah. Totally wishful thinking though. Gladio (at least I remember it being Gladio) literally just picks up a newspaper and goes UH OH. And then everyone else goes UH OH and Noctis punches a wall and goes, "We gotta go back I can't get married now hurdur". I don't think there's any ulterior motives coming from those characters aside from maybe Ignis. And that's a big maybe.

Communications can simply be jammed.

Let's hope they thought of something. It could be as something as simple as like the car breaks down, they try to call for help, Gladio's like "that's weird, somethings up with our phones, no signal", Prompto does something over-exaggerated and annoying as usual, Ignis is like "it's futile, we have no choice" and Noctis is like "yeah let's just push the car I guess".

Ray Down

Banned
Communications are jammed yet it is in a newspaper?

Newspaper prints what happens after the fact, seems like the crew learns about it a day or many hours later. I don't think newspaper run on signals, radio towers and whatever. That and Nifheim release some statement after the fact for something.

Go_Ly_Dow

Let's hope they thought of something. It could be as something as simple as like the car breaks down, they try to call for help, Gladio's like "that's weird, somethings up with our phones, no signal", Prompto does something over-exaggerated and annoying as usual, Ignis is like "it's futile, we have no choice" and Noctis is like "yeah let's just push the car I guess".

Watch the TGS 2014 trailer again. At the beginning there is a suggestion of issues tuning in to local radio stations for example.

The remaining members of the Kingsglaive being deployed to find, inform, and bring Noctis into hiding would've been amazing (just like the Secret Service would do with the Vice President after a national emergency endangering the life of the President). And having Niflheim hot on the Kingsglaive trail forcing Noctis and his friends to separate and leave the Kingsglaive's protection would have been an amazing way of telling that story through action and movement. Instead we get people standing around a room talking over a newspaper. I'm still willing to give Square the benefit of the doubt but man, it was difficult stomaching that scene.

wmlk

They simply don't call Noctis and gang and let them know. The entire point is that Noctis is kept in the dark. No one calls him because that's the intention.

Still, the execution was bad. Figure it out in a newspaper, but please...your father's been killed and your home is occupied. Show that you at least care a little bit.

Maybe Noctis knows something we don't, but that doesn't excuse that scene. It's a bad first impression. At least JP voice acting shows a good bit of emotion.

Top Bottom