• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV- Official E3 Trailer

Thanks for the support, you guys. I really appreciate it. I made you guys proud! Get ready for a emotionally charged, immersion gripping, and occasionally lewd Final Fantasy!

I'm not quite ready for my immersion to be gripped, but am 100% ready for the lewd.

In the JP version that scene doesn't mention the king being killed, which is interesting thing to add in localization.

https://vid.me/5MMX

I think they found out about the invasion before (maybe this scene in trailer), and the newspaper is just to confirm the information... I feel we don't have the whole context here.

Good point - maybe it doesn't have the feeling of "you just got the first inkling your dad may have been killed" because that's not what's happening.

There been a game not release digital on PS4 already and seeing how none of the others are it's not looking good.

KH is a big game and digital profit is rising in recent years. I'm sure SE will try everything to bring 2.8 and 3 to PSN even if cutting Utada's songs is needed.

Famassu

I certainly get your point, but deep inside I doubt if it's actually a good idea to remake FFVII. Sure it will sell a ton of copies, but will it live up to the biggest hype in videogame history? Especially when the FF fanbase is so divisive and everyone wants different things out of the remake. Also, the game is so big they have to divide it into several pieces. Do they have experience handling such situation? Remake is what publishers do when they want to play it safe, but now SE is taking so much risk doing the remake they may as well just make a new game.
It probably won't live up to some people's expectations. Doesn't mean it can't still be a great game on its own merits.

And sure, it is still a huge risk and they could've just as well put these resources into a new game (or three's) development. They themselves have actually used this particular argument against it in the past when explaining why it's not in development ("it would be such a huge project that would tie most of our resources for years, we'd rather make new games"). I guess they just felt that NOW is the time to do it if they are ever going to. PS4 is a hugely successful console and consoles aren't yet completely dead in Japan so there's a chance it won't flop completely there + the success of PS4 could propel a game like FFVIIR into huge success as well, if they don't screw it up. They've also become accustomed to outsourcing big parts of development of internal projects so they probably feel they are well equipped & prepared to handle FFVIIR now (vs. in the past they would probably have tried doing most everything internally). Now they use the likes of CC2 and Hexadrive to help with everything they don't have resources to handle internally instead of a Versus XIII situation where they'd have to keep FFVIIR on the backburner until they can free up enough staff for the project to push it to completion.

It's probably not Disney but Utada's songs. We will end up with the game having restricted recording like Type 0 and Yakuza.

2.8 and 3 will have to be on PSN as it is mandatory for released games to have digital versions now.
Nomura has already claimed it's not the Utada songs that are keeping KH from being released digitally. It's some kind of contractual-with-NDAs thing with SOMEONE since he can't seem to talk about it at all even when asked about it, but he has gone on record to say it's not her songs that are preventing digital releases.

Ray Down

Banned
KH is a big game and digital profit is rising in recent years. I'm sure SE will try everything to bring 2.8 and 3 to PSN even if cutting Utada's songs is needed.

"The problem does not lie with Square Enix, Disney or Hikaru Utada who performed the game’s theme song. It’s difficult because of a reason I cannot say," Nomura explained. Nomura says he is thinking about how to make a downloadable version available, but he needs more time.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/2...ingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleeps-absence-on-psn/

MilkBeard

B-but he was making the original FF7...

He also designed the submarine section. The game is doomed.

lol, I mean, Toriyama has his strengths, but that's when he's being checked by other people in control.

And yeah, the sub section wasn't so great...ha ha.

Koozek

These impressions, hot damn.

Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken series):
-Those who are planning to buy FFXV - you have to watch it. Those who aren't planning to buy - you will if you watch the movie. It respects the series' predigree, but damn, what a way to handle the baton to the next generation.

-Thinking that SE made it in-house kind of drives me crazy. How long did it take to render every second of the movie? Hours? Dozens of hours?

-Yeah, the bad guys are an annoying geezer and a weird dude. I bloody hate them now, but considering how well they were depicted, mission accomplished. I've already sworn I'm going to absolutely wreck them in the game.

Other impressions
-Holy s***. Just... holy s***. Final Fantasy at its best and then it shot into Hollywood. Monsters felt outright alien sometimes.

-Tears. Cried a lot. I think the whole theater was crying at the end. There was outright sobbing around the mid-point, too. Wonder if Noctis realizes what a huge burden he's really inherited.

-I won the tickets, but it was much better than expected. Will go to see again.

-A huge work, really. Kind of unexpected in some aspects, but in a good way.

-Amazing! Having to wait until September to play the game makes me depressed now.

-A beautiful movie, though the action scenes were sometimes so fast they were hard to follow (lol). Wish the heroine's VA was a bit more expressive.

-Fantastic, might go to see it in the theater again. Story felt like a part of a really huge tale. Knew nothing about the setting before watching it and still could follow the movie just fine.

-Luna is a seriously bold and audacious heroine. Not the angry screaming type, but very daring. Final verdict: why isn't it September 30 yet!

-The Versus/XV project might have had a troubled history, but Kingsglaive definitely delivered. Really interested in the story now.

-Putting CGI aside (we all knew it'd look great) I was impressed by the pacing and composition. Even the prologue alone felt like a fully realized tale. The story also doesn't get bogged down in exposition and the balance of silence and motion is superb. My only criticism is that considering how rawly realistic and gruesome the story is, it should have been more bloody. Really recommend watching it before playing the game, because people who know only the demo might get floored by how dark the story really is.

-Highly recommended, seriously. The previous FF movie felt sappy and soap-opera-ish, but KG is very different. It felt Western. Those who like action and stories more focused on strength of will, zeal, and pride should definitely watch it.

-Simply put, fantastic. The visuals, the music, the impact, everything. Was worried about the VAs, but they did an excellent job.

-Been waiting for this since Versus' announcement and yeah, it delivered. Very emotive and the story reduced me to tears. Nyx is a great character and it really drives home how much hope and desperation rests on Noctis' shoulders. "Everything for the Future King", indeed.

-Way too amazing. Stunningly beautiful world and effects, the sunrise scenes in particular. The OST delivered too: powerful and dynamic, but also beautiful. Spent the whole credits crying. The OST was giving me constant goosebumps,
but the peak was probably the party scene, accompanied by haunting Somnus
. For people who had been following the project since the Versus days, the whole thing hit like a truck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73977136/855814452
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/750327122208534528

giphy.gif

The visuals in this movie are just incredible. Makes me wish there were more realistic CGI movies like this.

Spirits Within was a failure, but if I remember correctly Advent Children was quite successful.

Because you are comparing apples and oranges. Advent Children was a real FF movie made by Square Japan. Advent Children was what fans wanted. Spirits Within was not.

Go_Ly_Dow

Because you are comparing apples and oranges. Advent Children was a real FF movie made by Square Japan. Advent Children was what fans wanted. Spirits Within was not.

I agree. At the same time tho Advent Children had way too much fan service.

It seems like Kingsglaive is strong based on its own merits which is why I expect this will be a much better movie.

People take these twitter reactions by users who are inherently fan need to calm down. We do this for every single event, i'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

Ydelnae

Wtf? Don't watch the report and don't click on the pics if you don't want a huge spoiler ruined, I don't get why they included that scene? They made such a good job on not giving away huge surprises and this is just dumb lol

KS spoilers:
I'm so glad that young Regis looks like Versus Regis in that flashback, though.

chefbags

Wtf? Don't watch the report and don't click on the pics if you don't want a huge spoiler ruined, I don't get why they included that scene? They made such a good job on not giving away huge surprises and this is just dumb lol

KS spoilers:
I'm so glad that young Regis looks like Versus Regis in that flashback, though.

Ok cool, just gonna go blackout and dip if they're gonna spoiler anything just like that haha.

NullKaze

Pretty sure this is not Luna and its a dude.
Clip spoilers that seem pretty movie spoiler-ish too ahead:
I think they're talking about the person on the floor Ravus is next to. Which I think is Luna's mother.

Ydelnae

S-E at E3: refuses to release a story trailer centered around later chapters of the game, explains that they want to keep the surprises under wraps until players get to discover them, leaves fans still wondering what is going on with this game's plot

S-E this random wednesday morning: you know what

S-E at E3: refuses to release a story trailer centered around later chapters of the game, explains that they want to keep the surprises under wraps until players get to discover them, leaves fans still wondering what is going on with this game's plot

S-E this random wednesday morning: you know what

They released game's spoilers today? OMG

Man I just wanna jump on a plane to LA next month just so I can see Kingsglaive a month early cause it sure as hell ain't getting a select cinema run in Australia and dodging spoilers are hard :-(

Ydelnae

They released game's spoilers today? OMG

No, I'm talking about the new scenes from Kingsglaive that they included in that FFXV Universe report. This is speculation here, but I assume those plot points wouldn't appear on the game until mid-game/very late and there are some reveals that, wether you discovered by watching the movie or playing the game, would have amazed some fans, specially those who have been following the game since the beginning.

Maybe I'm overreacting but they did such a good job on not giving away the game's plot so far that I'm disappointed they used this very scene for promotional material.

No, I'm talking about the new scenes from Kingsglaive that they included in that FFXV Universe report. This is speculation here, but I assume those plot points wouldn't appear on the game until mid-game/very late and there are some reveals that, wether you discovered by watching the movie or playing the game, would have amazed some fans, specially those who have been following the game since the beginning.

Maybe I'm overreacting but they did such a good job on not giving away the game's plot so far that I'm disappointed they used this very scene for promotional material.

Well, that's bad. Because if what you're saying is accurate then most people will get "spoiled" for watching the movie before playing the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, that's bad. Because if what you're saying is accurate then most people will get "spoiled" for watching the movie before playing the game.

Honestly if it's what I'm thinking it is (I haven't watched the promotional material Delaney's talking about) I think that's a revelation that works both as a reveal in the film or a reveal in the game. Your experience would be hardly diminished experiencing one then the other, yet it kinda adds up to an overall narrative.

But yes, if you care about experiencing it first in the movie or the game, it's pretty much blackout time.

chefbags

So does this mean the movie goes deep into game plot as in it spoils a huge part for the game?

If it does I won't watch this movie till the game is out lol.

Honestly if it's what I'm thinking it is (I haven't watched the promotional material Delaney's talking about) I think that's a revelation that works both as a reveal in the film or a reveal in the game. Your experience would be hardly diminished experiencing one then the other, yet it kinda adds up to an overall narrative.

But yes, if you care about experiencing it first in the movie or the game, it's pretty much blackout time.

Oh boy, it's too soon for blackout time. T_T

Falk

that puzzling face
I thought blackout time started before E3 for a bunch of people!

So does this mean the movie goes deep into game plot as in it spoils a huge part for the game?

Personal opinion here - in 2016 with twitter, social media and just the overall climate of how people function nowadays (all it takes is one idiot or troll), it's... really really hard to remain unspoiled for something that's been released in major territories for a month. I mean, not to draw 1:1 comparisons but look at Star Wars VII. If I cared about spoilers I'd actually just try to catch Kingsglaive as close as possible to the English premiere date and roll with it. You're experiencing something the way the directors intended it to be experienced as a reveal, at least, rather than reading an errant tweet or two.

That's what I figure I'd do anyway in this kind of situation.

From the impressions, it sounds promising. I am pretty excited. I will buy it, since it probably won't come out in a cinema near me.

Ydelnae

No, the reveals in the movie are meant to be seen in the movie. If you don't know about them because you didn't watch the movie, then they will work in the game. For example, if the film reveals a certain character you will be expecting him/her to appear in the game and you already know who that person is. If you didn't watch the movie, when that character first appears in the game and it's introduced, you will get the same shock value you got by watching his/her reveal at the movie.

I still think watching the movie before the game is the correct thing to do, even after knowing what's going on. If you don't want to watch the movie, you will get the game plot, but if you are holding out on not watching the movie in fears of having the game ruined, I think that won't happen. You will know what went down on Insomnia and you will get some hints about what is going on in the world of XV.

Watching the movie before the game just grants you info about the backstory of some characters and reveals some surprises that would get addressed in the game anyway. Watching these random reports and trailers just ruin both the game and the film.

TL;DR: If you want to watch the movie before the game releases, it won't ruin the game. But don't do anything like playing chapter 0, watch the first hour of Kingsglaive, play chapter 1 and 2 and watch the rest because it's not going to work, in my opinion.

Philippo

Welp it's blackout time guys, who knows when i'll get the chance to see it in EU :(
Hope i'll be able to skip game's news at Gamescom and TGS too, Falk, M_Night and Koozek give me the strenght!

chefbags

No, the reveals in the movie are meant to be seen in the movie. If you don't know about them because you didn't watch the movie, then they will work in the game. For example, if the film reveals a certain character you will be expecting him/her to appear in the game and you already know who that person is. If you didn't watch the movie, when that character first appears in the game and it's introduced, you will get the same shock value you got by watching his/her reveal at the movie.

I still think watching the movie before the game is the correct thing to do, even after knowing what's going on. If you don't want to watch the movie, you will get the game plot, but if you are holding out on not watching the movie in fears of having the game ruined, I think that won't happen. You will know what went down on Insomnia and you will get some hints about what is going on in the world of XV.

Watching the movie before the game just grants you info about the backstory of some characters and reveals some surprises that would get addressed in the game anyway. Watching these random reports and trailers just ruin both the game and the film.

TL;DR: If you want to watch the movie before the game releases, it won't ruin the game. But don't do anything like playing chapter 0, watch the first hour of Kingsglaive, play chapter 1 and 2 and watch the rest because it's not going to work, in my opinion.

Ahh ok I get it. Then the worries of watching this movie before the game has dissipated haha.

I tweeted that I died watching that spoiler and Liam Mulvey (Libertus) tweeted asking which scene it was so I sent the link through to him;

"ah that bit. Thanks. This film is just blowing me away and I was in it!"

This from one of the Kingsglaive doesn't help with the pain of waiting! :(

Ydelnae

Yeah, it's funny to see Liam (Libertus' VA) being so excited about the film and his involvement on it. I kind of want him to stick around to voice a character on FFXVI, dude seem to love his work.

Yeah, it's funny to see Liam (Libertus' VA) being so excited about the film and his involvement on it. I kind of want him to stick around to voice a character on FFXVI, dude seem to love his work.

It's so refreshing, especially when you follow Kingdom Hearts closely and you're use to many voice actors for that series regularly ignoring fans from it.

Both he and Regis' motion capture are lovely people and I do agree that Liam should remain.

Top Bottom