• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

What exactly did you prefer with GFWL? The fact that it was very likely to delete your saves or perhaps that it was impossible to even start for a lot of people? Personally, I loved the fact that MS didn't even try to improve it and finally just let it die.

There was absolutely nothing good about GFWL. It had a terrible interface and it simply did not work properly.

Well, that was like back in 2008/2009 ? :p
So it was pretty much on par with Steam. And I could use my gamertag when I cared. Then I shifted to Steam.

Deservedly so.

Why would you even buy it on the Windows store instead of Steam? Gamerscore? (I don´t even know if that is the case lol).

PC gamers still remember GFWL and they fucking despise it. And with what the store (and UWP) are right now, they have no chance to convince anyone to use it at all and especially over steam.

No, I read it right. I don't see how an opinion can be consistent concerning those services over 5/6 years. Steam and Origin in particular changing massively over those particular 5/6 years.
I'll try to rephrase it to your satisfaction...."I've preferred most of the Steam alternatives consistently over the past 6 years here". There, happy? Uplay is one exception...its serviceable now but it didn't even have like auto updating for a while.

In the VERY OP, there is talk from developers that the number of people that couldn't download from the windows 10 store to be unsettling.
Lionhead themselves say that a significant number of people couldn't download the game.

Barack Lesnar: "BALONEY AND HYPERBOLE LIONHEAD, YOU BUNCH OF LIARS".

Seems reasonable.
Both of you kind of took that out of context and it was poor sentence structure on my part. I was asking him to cite other examples besides that because UWP is "rife with issues"...that's what the baloney was in reference to.

EGM1966

Shocked but not.

MS really have painted themselves into a corner currently I feel. They missed mobile devices while trying (and failing) to make PC their closed platform and trading (and failing) to make game consoles an "every home has one" central media device linked to said PC closed platform.

In the meantime Apple built a closed platform from scratch and outflanked MS with mobile OS/devices.

Google did the dirty on Apple and beat MS to being the OS of choice for non Apple mobile devices.

The console future they envisaged vanished and Sony returned to lead by focusing on traditional game console market.

Valve quietly became the dominant Store and OS for gaming on PC while MS were ignoring PC.

At this point MS feels shut out from making PC market "theirs", shut out from being dominant Storefront on PC for gaming, middling on console and next to nowhere with mobile bar niche success via Surface. It's going to take more than money to get out of these corners they're stuck in.

I'll try to rephrase it to your satisfaction...."I've preferred most of the Steam alternatives consistently over the past 6 years here". There, happy? Uplay is one exception...its serviceable now but it didn't even have like auto updating for a while.

Both of you kind of took that out of context and it was poor sentence structure on my part. I was asking him to cite other examples besides that because UWP is "rife with issues"...that's what the baloney was in reference to.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206208711&postcount=344

I like how you ignore my post.

LordRaptor

I thought UWA suppose to be scalable?

You're either doing
#IFDEF PC
get cpu
cpu specific stuff
get threadtype
threading specific stuff
get supported cpu features
turn features on/off
get HDD
check read/writespeeds
get RAM
check amount + speed, define memalloc
Add menus
expose mouse sensitivty
expose graphics options
expose input options
expose audio options
add quit game button
#ELSE XBAWKS
setup for Xbone
#ENDIF
(which is obviously more work) or you're just throwing up whats basically an emulated Xbox One game with missing basic functionality and expecting people to be happy to pay full price for it

The legacy GFWL left behind meant that any new Microsoft-backed PC platform had an uphill battle to begin with, but this seems like the equivalent of those old-timey flight tests of ridiculous flying machine contraptions falling off of cliffs.

impact

Banned
Because it makes sense. They get nothing from Steam, Origin or Uplay but the games on Steam, Origin, and Uplay make their OS relevant anyway because a lot of them are DX and require Windows. They already have gaming relevance in their OS they just want a cut now.

Looks like they're making nothing either way.

Halo 5 on Steam would make them much more money than Halo 5 on W10 store, even with the 30% GabeN cut. 70% of a big number >>>>>> 100% of 15k

But its a rock and a hard place they spent a lot of money building in the first place.

If the Xbox division hadn't torched any and all consumer and external publisher goodwill they had with their malign neglect of GFWL, they would - right this very minute - have a sort-of-competent PC digital storefront that supports most of the entry level basic features that customers expect that they own in its entirety.

Conversely, if they were prepared to 'outsource' those basic features to a retailer in exchange for a 30% cut, they would also - right this very minute - have an array of different storefronts to pick and choose from, each offering its own viable platform and proven sales track record.

To the bolded .
BUt microsoft has a lot of money and isn't afraid to use it .. they will probably dump money again and again untill they lose too much and decide to kill or decapitate their service.
It's not like this current situation is much different from the past .. It's worse , no doubt about it , but it's basicly the same thing

I'm on my phone, apologies.
RE: the beta news article, reading the bullet point list of "issues", I believe every one of them except full mod support are either fixed or officially stated to be on the list

There are two other articles and not all have been fixed....many issues remain, as well as a wealth of features competitors have.

LordRaptor

Whats great is whenever there is bad news which is the most common type for the Windows Store, is you see the same names always doing damage control. Its always the same.

In fairness I am prolific in topics about UWA and the Win10 store describing why both are not good things for PC gaming.

GHG

I dump on Microsoft all the time, in fact just did 2 mins ago in another thread.

I prefer GFWL and Win 10 and Origin over Steam and my opinion has been consistent for 6 years and that grates people but I'm anything but a Zedox clone. Don't cherry pick.

Lmao this made me laugh for so many reasons.

This thread is glorious. Anyone with half a brain always knew this day would come though.

PC gamers are much wiser now compared to when Microsoft first tried pulling this shit.

There are two other articles and not all have been fixed....many issues remain, as well as a wealth of features competitors have.
The beta news article was the only one that had a good summary of everything

One of the articles you sourced wasn't even related to PC gaming, it was for Windows Phone 10 OS. Did you even read it?

Li Kao

Yeah, in order to start the uphill battle for acceptance by PC gamers Microsoft choose to sell AAA games without making a store first.
Because the Windows Store is not a store, it's a fucking joke. I don't understand how, even now, before committing to this or that "Xbox on PC" thing they can't see the first priority is to scrape that flaming pile of shit. Unbelievable.

Then and only then they will have a hard time with sales. For the time being they simply can't find any success on such an horrendous basis.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The only people surprised by any of this would seem to be Microsoft employees. Microsoft will probably never be able to understand that more restrictive platforms are less attractive, particularly versus established platforms that have a proven track record. Where's the value for the consumer, Microsoft? It is fairly obvious how you profit from this, but what about your customers? Where's the incentive to switch?

They also don't seem to understand that nobody trusts their PC gaming initiatives in particular. Even when they're more than lip service they invariably get their plug pulled while the competition keeps on trucking. They even managed to fuck up Xbox One after winning? their major markets in the previous generation. Should have been a slam dunk, was instead slamming their collective head into a door as they opened it.

JaggedSac

You're either doing
#IFDEF PC
feature checks
UI changes
#ELSE XBAWKS
setup for Xbone
#ENDIF
(which is obviously more work) or you're just throwing up whats basically an emulated Xbox One game with missing basic functionality and expecting people to be happy to pay full price for it

The same stuff they are going to be doing anyway with a console/pc port. It is now just in one project.

TalonJH

the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.

Why is this exactly?

I have little experience with the windows store concerning games. I think I own two at most(Hitman Go and something else). There's no real reason other than I am accustomed to Steam.

Zedox

That's exactly what they did with Games for Windows Live.

Yea...they did. Unlike that store, this ain't just gaming. That's where the big difference is the Windows Store vs. GFWL. But this is all known.

GHG said:
Lmao this made me laugh for so many reasons.

I'm sure it would. I'm so hurt. /s

Woo-Fu said:
The only people surprised by any of this would seem to be Microsoft employees.

Apparently that's what happened. LOL. But yea, I don't think anyone would expect anything different (besides the WS having even less percentage).

Man, i´ll be so happy when this trend continues, games sell like shit on it like they should, PC gamers reject it vehemently and in a few years MS drops the whole shit show. CANNOT WAIT.

LordRaptor

The same stuff they are going to be doing anyway with a console/pc port. It is now just in one project.

Yes.
All the same extra work thats involved in a traditional Pc port.

So we're back to "Do I do all that work and put it on the market with a 2% share?"

e: a market that my target audience fucking hates to boot

FLD

Man, this is great news to wake up to. I just hope MS won't stubbornly keep forcing devs to release exclusively on it. That's pretty goddamn awful numbers for RotTR compared to Steam. These games deserve way better than that. :/

It'd be interesting to have numbers for a Win10 store exclusive game for comparison, though. I mean, I imagine RotTR being available on Steam at all had to have an impact there. Really curious how Quantum Break did.

GHG

Yeah, in order to start the uphill battle for acceptance by PC gamers Microsoft choose to sell AAA games without making a store first.
Because the Windows Store is not a store, it's a fucking joke. I don't understand how, even now, before committing to this or that "Xbox on PC" thing they can't see the first priority is to scrape that flaming pile of shit. Unbelievable.

Then and only then they will have a hard time with sales. For the time being they simply can't find any success on such an horrendous basis.

Oh don't worry, they will fix it all up eventually like I've always said.

But by then it will be too late and the damage will be done. Then they will withdraw with their tails between their legs but blame the market... Something along the lines of "We tried but the appetite wasn't there from the PC gaming community".

Hopefully people will still be able to access and download their previous purchases this time round.

aeolist

Banned
Why is this exactly?

it's just a buggy piece of shit. speaking from experience managing hundreds of windows 8/8.1/10 PCs, metro/modern/UWP apps break just as often as win32 apps but are basically impossible to fix since they're designed to be inaccessible.

most of the time "fixing" problems with the store just involves a reimage.

BigDug13

Cuz competition should never happen. sheesh. lol

You realize what "competition" means, right? Half-assed attempts with very poor execution against a well liked and superior-built opponent isn't competition, it's a simple scrimmage game for the better opponent. We shouldn't praise poor attempts to create a competing product. Competition means you bring something to the table that can actually compete. Microsoft has a VERY poor track record at this point for basically everything they've executed outside of the Windows operating system and their Xbox systems (talking about consumer products, not business, they've executed pretty well there). And they even fumbled the ball at the start of this generation on their Xbox platform.

VICI0US

Not surprising considering what a restrictive mess the UWP version was at launch.

no SLI/CF, no way to disable VSync, no exclusive fullscreen, no modding (sweetfx, etc), no overlay support (fraps, MSI afterburner, etc), no >60Hz support, no editing files, non-refundable. the list goes on.

It went against everything PC gaming represents (choice) and left a very bad taste in peoples mouths

TalonJH

it's just a buggy piece of shit. speaking from experience managing hundreds of windows 8/8.1/10 PCs, metro/modern/UWP apps break just as often as win32 apps but are basically impossible to fix since they're designed to be inaccessible.

most of the time "fixing" problems with the store just involves a reimage.

Thanks.

I have little experience with the windows store concerning games. I think I own two at most(Hitman Go and something else). There's no real reason other than I am accustomed to Steam.

jelly

Microsoft have to make it appealing with good games that aren't a technical mess or have store issues but it's never going to be populated with everything other than Microsoft stuff and mobile trash and odd gems.

A tipping point eventually unless they remain truly awful, that's what they are hoping for with the Windows Store. It may never happen but it's one of those can't let it fail initiatives, Microsoft are pretty screwed if the Windows Store doesn't go anywhere.

Do people trust them, I don't think they'll get people in that safe mindset unless the store is a huge success and has that air of never going away because of that. Right now, it's like why bother, there is a risk it may never go anywhere and be culled one day.

GHG

I was referring mainly to your UI adjustment comments, which is trivial.

It's this exact attitude that results in a 2% market share.

The UI is one of the most important aspects of any application or game. If it is not fit for purpose on the platform or device it is running on then it leads to frustration and users will reject it.

But carry on.

therapist

i mean , obviously
i didnt think it would be THAT drastic , but it was obvious that steam would win over the windows store.

98% is insane , good. Windows store is garbage.

JaggedSac

It's this exact attitude that results in a 2% market share.

The UI is one of the most important aspects of any application or game. If it is not fit for purpose on the platform or device it is running on then it leads to frustration and users will reject it.

But carry on.

Trivial in implementation, not trivial in design. I believe that is what you misunderstood with my post, otherwise, I don't have a clue what you are talking about, lol.

Top Bottom