• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Thanks guys,
so I have one clouding spot on the bottom right middle area the size of a tuna can, is that a deal breaker, or am I okay?

That depends on how sensitive you are to that particular 'issue'. Try watching some dark movies/tv shows/etc to see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, why change it? Haha. I mean, that depends on how bad that clouding is, can you post a picture that shows more or less how it looks in person?

Based on the amount of posts in the thread, I take it that this is the TV to get? I'm looking into upgrading to 4k, and my PC monitor is going out. Does anyone here use this as their sole PC monitor, and if so, is it an acceptable replacement? I haven't used a TV for PC yet.

Heel

There is no HDR banner on apps.

I'm not talking about the Samsung HDR banner. In firmware 1154, the YouTube title banner when you first play or pause a video has badges for 4K and HDR, and automatically switches to and from HDR settings when it detects a compatible video:

H7fR8mk.jpg

Since 1154 I now get the HDR banner when watching Amazon HDR content.

This, too.

Based on the amount of posts in the thread, I take it that this is the TV to get? I'm looking into upgrading to 4k, and my PC monitor is going out. Does anyone here use this as their sole PC monitor, and if so, is it an acceptable replacement? I haven't used a TV for PC yet.

what do you use your pc for? if you need color accuracy or high refresh rates be careful!

MizzouRah

Browsing, watching movies, and gaming. I'm colorblind, so I am not overly worried about color accuracy, and I don't care about higher than 60 fps (that's what the refresh rate affects, right?)

It's great for PC gaming if you have the hardware to push it. Your 60hz options are 4k or 1080. Unfortunately, for some reason 1440 resolutions are limited to 30hz.

OmegaX06

I set up a KU6300 today but noticed a couple of things. I can only get firmware 1142 - it will not let me manually update. Is the Youtube HDR firmware only for the 7 and 8 series?

Also is there a way to change the quality for the YouTube? Most of the 4k videos I play seem to be defaulting to 1080p with no way to change it. I only see the HD banner at the top, and when I check the stats for nerds it shows a 1080p resolution. I am using an Ethernet cable on a 50mbit connection.

That depends on how sensitive you are to that particular 'issue'. Try watching some dark movies/tv shows/etc to see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, why change it? Haha. I mean, that depends on how bad that clouding is, can you post a picture that shows more or less how it looks in person?

I'll give it a shot a bit later,
you can can judge away.

Anyone know which hdmi port is hdcp 2.2 compatible on the 55 inch? I cant get my xbox one s to play 4k blurays.

All ports are the same on this TV. Try a different HDMI cable. I've had very mixed results with the various HDMI cables I have around the house, all of which work fine on my 1080p sets.

ss_lemonade

Finally got our ks9000. Took a while to set it up and get the stand connected. I was worried I might snap the TV in 2 or something due to how thin it is.

Anyway, got it updated, played a couple of youtube HDR videos and holy shit! The difference between these on the samsung and the same videos on my sony w900a is staggering! Seeing as how this and the ks8000 are very similar, hopefully the same settings will apply. Looks like I'll be tweaking settings tonight and continuing Final Fantasy 15 here. Looking forward to how HDR there looks like.

VicViper

Just to be sure, is this the right model? The TV we're talking about and that received awesome reviews especially for gaming?

Can not tell with your link not working. The KS8000 referenced in this thread is the KS7000 series in Europe. For France, you would be looking for this particular model:

http://www.samsung.com/fr/tv/KS7000/?modelCode=UE49KS7000UXZF

The 8000 and 9000 (Europe) series are not considerably better and to my knowledge even using the same (or similar) LED panels so the higher price may or may not be worth it.

VicViper

Ah, my bad. That one should work : http://www.fnac.com/TV-Samsung-UE49KS8000-SUHD-4K/a9607252/w-4

What I thought when reading OP is that KS8000 series in Europe (and UK) like this one are called 9000 series in the US, but I guess I got that wrong?

The thread is about the KS8000 (US model) which is the KS7000 in Europe, hence my recommendation. I can't comment on the newer models as I don't own them but I'm more than happy with my 55" KS7090 (I'm in Germany) which is what this thread is mainly about.

I have yet to see a good comparison of this series with the newer ones but general consensus seems to be that the panels are almost identical which makes the 7000 EU/8000 US series the best bang for your buck currently.

its the only screen i have hooked up to my PC

980ti, can run most games at 4k/60 with a few options turned down unless its a brand new AAA game. it takes 1440p and upscales it perfectly so thats a good option for more demanding stuff. or you can do 4k and lock at 30

i sit about 7 feet from the screen on the couch for a reference point

Link_enfant

The thread is about the KS8000 (US model) which is the KS7000 in Europe, hence my recommendation. I can't comment on the newer models as I don't own them but I'm more than happy with my 55" KS7090 (I'm in Germany) which is what this thread is mainly about.

I have yet to see a good comparison of this series with the newer ones but general consensus seems to be that the panels are almost identical which makes the 7000 EU/8000 US series the best bang for your buck currently.

Thanks for the clarification. I've checked the EU 49" KS7000 on there and it's only 100€ less than the EU KS8000, but the real issue is the very different TV stand that just won't fit on my setup, where EU KS8000 is just perfect, so I might go for it as it seems really worth it at that price.

shakey

Neo Member
Finally got our ks9000. Took a while to set it up and get the stand connected. I was worried I might snap the TV in 2 or something due to how thin it is.

Anyway, got it updated, played a couple of youtube HDR videos and holy shit! The difference between these on the samsung and the same videos on my sony w900a is staggering! Seeing as how this and the ks8000 are very similar, hopefully the same settings will apply. Looks like I'll be tweaking settings tonight and continuing Final Fantasy 15 here. Looking forward to how HDR there looks like.

Right there with you... I have the KS9500 65", and it's so thin I was worried it would snap. And the stand.... I hate this center gravity thing. I just don't trust it. Really wish it came with the same stand the KS8 series has, because that is solid. This one seems like it could just fall forward at any time... Always worried.

But it is an amazing TV.

Same settings will apply from the KS8 Series as well. There's very few differences between the 2 series, but our TV's have a few more dimming zones, the "moth eye" reflection screen, and a few other things that don't really matter lol.

I just turned on my TV tonight and all my apps are gone I have to agree to a new Terms of Service. Then I had to sign up for a Samsung account, WTF?! Just finished the process and all of my installed apps are gone - have to redownload.

Did this happen to anyone else? US tv on 1152.

VicViper

Thanks for the clarification. I've checked the EU 49" KS7000 on there and it's only 100€ less than the EU KS8000, but the real issue is the very different TV stand that just won't fit on my setup, where EU KS8000 is just perfect, so I might go for it as it seems really worth it at that price.

Cheers! I'd be interested in a KS7000 vs KS8000 comparison (EU models).

How are everyone's sets regarding vertical banding? Didn't notice it during normal content until last night when I was playing Bf1 and everything was foggy, thus really grey.

I could notice it in the bottom left of the screen when panning the camera left to right. I know this is pretty common with LED TVs, just wanna know if you guys also noticed it.

On a pure white picture or a grey one I can barely notice anything if the camera is not moving. Reason to concern or not?

I have the 65" btw.

PS: noticed theat dynamic contrast almost eliminates it, but I'm not gonna use it with game mode anyway, so...

JambiBum

Can anyone tell me why I can't update my tv through the software update option in the menu? I tried it before and it would never find an update (I'm still on 1150) and now when I go to check the menu option is greyed out and I can't select it at all. Can I just update it through a usb drive?

Rongolian

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations for services which stream sports in at least 1080p? I have DirecTV but almost everything is 720p/1080i. The only stuff I watch live is sports, so I'd love to know if there was anyone out there providing it in 1080p/4k.

I know the MLB network is doing this with DirecTV, but I haven't heard of any others.

harz-marz

Can anyone tell me why I can't update my tv through the software update option in the menu? I tried it before and it would never find an update (I'm still on 1150) and now when I go to check the menu option is greyed out and I can't select it at all. Can I just update it through a usb drive?

I do it via USB. I've no idea why they can't have the OTA updates roll out at the same time. Madness!

So is the amazon video app available globally on the samsung app store now that its officially launched? I'm in Canada. Currently have been watching in 4K SDR on my Xbox One S because the Xbox app doesn't support HDR. I'll check when I get home.

Nezacant

It's great for PC gaming if you have the hardware to push it. Your 60hz options are 4k or 1080. Unfortunately, for some reason 1440 resolutions are limited to 30hz.

I've noticed this issue on this TV as well as other 4K Televisions. But there is a fix!

First, set your resolution to 1920x1080 60Hz. From there, create a custom resolution of 2560x1440 60Hz. Don't know why, but if you try to set a custom res while your resolution is 3840x2160, it will not allow anything above 30Hz.

Edit: I should mention, this works with current Nvidia drivers. I'm using a GTX 1080. Custom resolution created using Nvidia Control Panel.

laxu

This is an issue with your HDMI cable. Get a better cable and you should get full 60 Hz refresh rates in every resolution as well as 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB Full support.

How are everyone's sets regarding vertical banding? Didn't notice it during normal content until last night when I was playing Bf1 and everything was foggy, thus really grey.

No banding on my set (55") but there is some minor DSE along the bottom. I rarely see it, though, and I'm sensitive to the issue. However, most of the LCDs I've tried have had some banding so it's extremely common, just as you say. The larger the panel, the more likely it is. Only you can determine if it bothers you enough to exchange, though in my experience you've got a 50% chance the replacement will have the same issue or possibly something worse. You have to be either lucky or persistent to get a panel that is mostly free of uniformity issues. I've tried 7 different LCDs over the past few years from Sony, Samsung, and LG. Even with the minor DSE, this 55" KS8000 is the most uniform panel I've had so I'm keeping it. I'm not sure I would have kept it when I first started, it took me a few tries to realize that the "perfect" LCD panel simply doesn't exist.

Bought this TV a couple weeks ago and love it so far! There is a tiny amount of light bleed at the bottom left, but it's easy to ignore and seems to fall into the 'acceptable amount' category.

But something strange has been happening recently. At very random times (while connected to my Gaming PC), the screen will go black for about 1.5 seconds. This never happened with my old TV, but I still thought it could be my PC. I checked my temps and all of the cables - everything seemed fine. Just to see if it would make a difference - I plugged the HDMI cable from my PC into a different input in the One Connect box.

Then it happened again last night while gaming, but this time I had one of my TV settings menus open. That also went black, so now I'm thinking it HAS to be the TV. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what it was? I'm struggling to find out what's causing it!

now I'm thinking it HAS to be the TV. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what it was? I'm struggling to find out what's causing it!

What resolution is the TV receiving during these drop-outs? The HDMI cable may not be up-to-snuff. I've seen these kinds of drop-outs from bad or insufficient cables before. Is this a brand new high-speed cable? Some older HDMI cables work fine for 1080p but struggle if you are running at 4K.

R-User!

I got a pop up prompt on my KS8000 this morning that 1154 firmware was available in the US to download.

I downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to use the YouTube HDR yet.

ss_lemonade

Still waiting for my tv but does black frame insertion (whatever samsung's equivalent is for bfi) work together with game mode and hdr? I know some people hate it due to the drop in brightness but I like the improved motion clarity it brings.

So after using my ks9000 a bit and to answer my own question (if anyone is interested), it doesn't look like one can enable both game mode and BFI/LED Clear Motion at the same time.

Awesome! Hope I get 1154 when I check this evening.

I can't say how pre-HDR 4k youtube videos look because I immediately got the latest update when I received the TV a few days ago. I must say though that those videos in the HDR channel with HDR+4k look insane

Aske

I finally received my update this morning. First thing you should do is subscribe to the HDR Channel on YouTube to see the TV in all of its glory.

So true. I think my favourite demo is still Gears of War 4's split screen HDR/SDR, but anyone without access to that game will love the YouTube app.

Rongolian

Banned
I got the 1154 update today too! Anyone know how to make the youtube app play 4k? The "nerd stats" or whatever shows it's picking up 20mbps down but won't go higher than 1440p/30hz

j-wood

What the hell! I just turned my tv on and clicked no on this interactive services box that was up.

Now it still shows 1150 is the latest update. I turned interactive services back on and it still says 1150 is the latest

SNIKT!

The 1154 update killed my smart hub this morning. Hitting the home button all of a sudden did nothing. I unplugged the tv for two minutes, plugged it back in and now smart hub comes back up but all the apps are gone. And no apps section now to re-add them. Sigh.

The 1154 update killed my smart hub this morning. Hitting the home button all of a sudden did nothing. I unplugged the tv for two minutes, plugged it back in and now smart hub comes back up but all the apps are gone. And no apps section now to re-add them. Sigh.

There is a way to reset your Smart Hub. Here are some instructions, but the example screens may not be laid out exactly like the KS8000:

http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/skp/faq/1057786

Does the PS4 pro Netflix app and YouTube app output 4K and HDR?

No.

I still can not download apps on the KS8000 because it will not connect to the Samsung server for me to sign the terms and conditions.

I think it's because I bought a US version KS8000 on a military base but I live off base in Japan.

Does the PS4 pro Netflix app and YouTube app output 4K and HDR? Anybody going through a similar situation?

I may have to end buying a roku/chromcast 4K.

RPS37

So I updated to 1154 today and now my home button isn't working at all. I can't even change inputs now.
Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?

Top Bottom