• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lancaster shooting - L.A. County sheriff's sergeant killed, gunman in custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-deputy-shot-lancaster-20161005-snap-story.html

A Los Angeles County sheriff’s sergeant was shot and killed in Lancaster on Wednesday while responding to a residential burglary call, setting off a manhunt for a gunman who tried to flee in the slain lawman’s cruiser and held two teenagers hostage before he was captured, authorities said.

Sheriff’s officials identified the victim as Steve Owen, a 29-year department veteran who had previously won the agency’s highest honor for courage. He was the first sheriff’s deputy fatally shot while on duty in more than a decade.

Let's try this again, without the bullshit.

Gattsu25

Banned
I express my condolences to his family, coworkers, associates, and to his community.

A hero was snuffed out of the world in an act of horrid violence.

Breads

Banned
Noone deserves going out like that. 29 years and still on calls? That sounds like a person who was determined to serve their community.

RIP

Erekiddo

A loss of a life over what? Goddamn material possessions.

Tragic. I hate burglars. I feel awful for the officers family.

Madness

29 year veteran only to be killed nearing the tail end of his career. Rest in peace. The suspect will get whats coming to him. Murder of a peace officer, holding people hostage. California death row effectively backed up but he'll probably be given the death penalty or life in prison. The officers family probably lived with the fact their dad/husband had a dangerous job but it hurts none the less knowing they won't see him again.

This is an assumption because I don't know the officers background (i hope he was an upstanding officer) , but I definitely prefer peace officers with the amount of on the job experience that he had working active duty. A tragic loss for his family and the community.

Syncytia

I didn't want to get in the mess of the other thread, but I wonder what he was on parole for. First thought was honestly "Hm, I bet it's for something nonviolent and we're doing the smear the guy routine." Reading the article was, uh, shocking. He even had a bulletproof vest.

Well, we know the gunman isn't black.

But, RIP to the officer.

He is. And he was shot.

Kite

Awkward..
XBcbI9O.png

Henkka

Banned

But, RIP to the officer.

I want you to ponder the juxtaposition of

1) The certainty with which you made this statement

and

2) How wrong you were

Maybe you'll learn something about cognitive biases.

The local news station I was listening to had callers who knew Police Officer Steve Owen calling in were clearly upset. Some who had even had run ins with him. He was a local volunteer in the community including as a coach for youth sports and generally was very well known and liked. He appears to have been a local pillar of the community. The procession that took his body from the hospital where he died to Los Angeles was huge. Something like 100+ cars. Not to mention the crowd it gathered.

The local news station I was listening to had callers who knew Police Officer Steve Owen calling in were clearly upset. Some who had even had run ins with him. He was a local volunteer in the community including as a coach for youth sports and generally was very well known and liked. He appears to have been a local pillar of the community. The procession that took his body from the hospital where he died to Los Angeles was huge. Something like 100+ cars. Not to mention the crowd it gathered.

Geez. :/

RIP and my thoughts are with his family. Terrible to lose your life over material things.

Sounded like an awesome dude. Not surprisingly, like most of the cops I know and have met, he went above the call and volunteered his time for the betterment of his community. Definitely an inspiration, hope justice is served.

Zoe

I didn't want to get in the mess of the other thread, but I wonder what he was on parole for. First thought was honestly "Hm, I bet it's for something nonviolent and we're doing the smear the guy routine." Reading the article was, uh, shocking. He even had a bulletproof vest.
That was a separate incident for which he received a medal of valor by ending a hostage situation with a Taser.

Whether this guy's previous crime was violent or not, as a parolee, he shouldn't have had a gun.

Thoughts with the victim's family. This kind of thing shouldn't have to keep happening. How do these people that shouldn't have guns keep getting them?

I used to live in the Antelope Valley and still have family there. In the past, we've had need to call the sheriff's on multiple occasions, including after a burglary just like this one. They always treated us with respect and went above and beyond to help us in our times of need.

I didn't know this officer in particular but from everything I've heard and read he was a credit to his community. My condolences go out to his family, especially his kids. I hope his killer gets what he deserves.

http://theavtimes.com/2016/10/06/suspect-executed-sergeant-after-wounding-him-sheriff-says/

LANCASTER – The parolee accused of killing a sheriff’s sergeant in Lancaster first wounded the lawman and then executed him with four additional shots once he was down, Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said Thursday.

Sgt. Steve Owen, 53, was gunned down around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday as he and a deputy responded to a 911 call from a woman reporting a burglary at an apartment building in the 3200 block of West Avenue J-7.

The man suspected of killing Owen — Trenton Trevon Lovell, 27, of Lancaster — was wounded in a shoulder by a deputy but ultimately arrested and booked on suspicion of murder. He was being held without bail at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility.

McDonnell said at a news conference Thursday at the Lancaster Station that Lovell — whose name the sheriff refused to utter — has been arrested 11 times, first as a juvenile on suspicion of selling marijuana, and was jailed or imprisoned twice.

He shot Owen behind a residence after being confronted by the sergeant, who radioed that he had the suspect at gunpoint before he was shot, McDonnell said.

“Sgt. Owen approached the suspect in response to a burglary call,” McDonnell said. “The suspect immediately shot Sgt. Owen. He then stood over and executed Sgt. Owen by firing four additional rounds into his body. He then unsuccessfully searched the body for the sergeant’s weapon with the intent to use it to murder the first responding deputy.”

That deputy fired numerous times at Lovell, who had pointed his weapon at him, striking the suspect once in the shoulder, the sheriff said.

“Not only did the suspect want to kill our deputies, he held two teenagers hostage in a neighboring house until they were rescued by the heroic efforts of our Special Enforcement Bureau and our Lancaster Station personnel. He was subsequently arrested in the surrounding neighborhood without further incident.”

While answering a reporter’s question, McDonnell took issue with legislation allowing some criminals to cycle through the justice system, repeatedly ending up back in communities to offend once again.

“I think it’s time that we had a serious conversation,” he said. “We all believe in second chances and a chance for redemption and that’s what America is all about, but there are a limited number of chances where somebody doesn’t get a free pass to continue to do this type of … violence that we see over and over again in so many different cases.”

McDonnell called on the public to carefully consider any proposed legislation regarding the incarceration of convicted criminals.

Ugh. Sometimes I wish I could just take the one way to mars trip.

RIP.

I wish I was born when society has evolved passed these type of occurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom