• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Guardian delayed

Sorcerer

I wonder how much interest Gamestop has accrued with those 10 year old deposits? They must be pleased as punch with Sony.

driver116

qh8yIyh.gif

Perfection

If been able to play it with NEO and October being too packed is how people are coping with this delay, How are they going to do it when the next delay inevitably happens and the new release date is in 2017?

I wanted to be with my family in December anyway? I was all out of money from buying games anyway? I needed something to play while I waited for Persona 5 next year?

caleb1915

So how much of a sunk cost has the development of this title cost Sony, it's in house and a relatively small team around what 50-60 people? A bit more, maybe less? Then you gotta think about the downsizing and upsizing of the team relative to phase of development. But all of that over 11 years after Shadow of the Colossus which hasn't really sold gangbusters in all that time; I think it sold a modest amount initially at release, but has managed to have a longevity to keep climbing to over a million copies at this point.

Anyways 11 years of salary for a few dozen people isn't cheap, which makes me think that a lot of their decisions for the PS4 hardware, and the announcement of the Pro model were influenced by the wants and needs for the vision that Ueda had from the beginning.

Maybe not a huge factor, but still :p

There is just no way that this game will not disappoint.

Just gotta go into it with realistic expectations, I suppose. Which shouldn't be hard, seeing as everyone's basically spelling this game's doom. I want to bet that a lot of the people who have been doing that over the past year or so will just end up going into this game looking to get disappointed though, regardless of the game's quality.

hemo memo

Gold Member
jesus. Two month delay isn't enough time to fix massive issues, but it does reveal they were planning on dropping a buggy piece of shit on us until very recently.

Like FFXV's, this does not inspire confidence.

It's a Pro delay. Nothing they can do in 2 months they can't add in a day one patch.

There is just no way that this game will not disappoint.
Of course it will for some, because people have a slight tendency to overhype things like this in case you haven't noticed *cough*No Man's Sky*cough*. But I'm sure it will be fine if you just treat it like a regular game and not the savior of all gaming.

EDIT: On the bright side, like others have said, it'll be good to not even have to question whether to wait to play it with the Pro console.

Sorcerer

Perhaps for every year the game was delayed, there was a year of game time added. Maybe it will actually take 10-11 years to complete the game. Value for the money right there.jk

schaft0620

No way TLG and Gravity Rush 2 come out that close to each other, grantee it now. Its not happening, one of them will move.

jayu26

Oh, come on. Insomniac, From Software, Housemarque, etc were never, at any point, part of first-party.
Neither was genDesign. If genDesign is not a Sony studio (and never was) than your logic dictates that TLG is not a first-party game. It doesn't matter that those guys were former employees of Sony. The truth of the matter is that first-party and second-party games published by Sony is treated equally. In fact, Sony's studios share technical know how with every studio making games that are published by SIE.

It is really weird for you to start differentiating between these titles when Shu himself calls everything published by them first-party. Their first-party and third-party teams operate completely separately, to the point where one doesn't know what the other has cooking. For example, SFV was a third-party exclusive for them because they did not publish it. Shu's team had nothing to do with it. It was Adam Boyes who handled the deal. Whereas, Adam would not have come anywhere near Bloodborne. If it's published by SCE/SIE it's first-party. You cannot pick and choose what you want to call it.

Neither was genDesign. If genDesign is not a Sony studio (and never was) than your logic dictates that TLG is not a first-party game. It doesn't matter that those guys were former employees of Sony. The truth of the matter is that first-party and second-party games published by Sony is treated equally. In fact, Sony's studios share technical know how with every studio making games that are published by SIE.

It is really weird for you to start differentiating between these titles when Shu himself calls everything published by them first-party. Their first-party and third-party teams operate completely separately, to the point where one doesn't know what the other has cooking. For example, SFV was a third-party exclusive for them because they did not publish it. Shu's team had nothing to do with it. It was Adam Boyes who handled the deal. Whereas, Adam would not have come anywhere near Bloodborne. If it's published by SCE/SIE it's first-party. You cannot pick and choose what you want to call it.

Wasn't it just a japan studios game before it disappeared for years (and Ueda still worked there?)?

jayu26

Wasn't it just a japan studios game before it disappeared for years (and Ueda still worked there?)?
I agree that TLG is first-party game. It's that his/her weird insistence that Bloodborne and Ratchet are not first-party when they go through same approval process as Naughty Dog's games worked me.

Goliath

I'm OK with this. Delay it and release a finished solid product unlike many devs now that drop incomplete games and patch later.

I've been a very strong doubter of TLG ever since the re-announce last year. To me, the extended development time screams "we had big ambitious ideas that never quite came together."

My totally speculative take is that they'd wound down the project due to it not working out as conceived and then, as all the "has TLG been cancelled?" speculation was met with strong emotions from the fan base, they took their assets and retooled the game to basically be a hacked together Ico 2.

Now, all that said, I'm mystified at this delay. I don't think it's a game-quality issue, because you'd need more than four weeks to fix anything significant I think. As much as I think the game has likely been hacked together from old assets and ideas, I don't think it's "coming in hot" like that. I don't think they'd have announced a date at E3 if it hadn't been substantially complete at that time. They'd already given the game a ton of time, why rush the schedule now?

I also don't buy the "pro mode" explanation. People are acting like Team Ico just learned about the Pro, and are racing to implement pro mode for the release. This is an internal studio! They've known about Neo for many, many months! And I certainly don't think that the quality of Pro Mode is something that will ever delay any title. There might be a requirement to have a Pro Mode, but there's no quality requirement. For example, indie games that already run 1080/60 aren't going to create new assets and effects to have a "better" version for the Pro. It'll be the same as the normal version. Similarly I think games like TLG, if pressed for time, will just unlock the framerate and be done with it. That's enough for launch, and they can patch in something better later if they desire.

Maybe the most plausible explanation is that they're moving the game out of October for scheduling/competition purposes. But if that were the case, why not late January? And why didn't they see this coming before?

I'm at a loss.

NoKisum

With the way game development fluctuates these days, I think it's becoming more and more of a better idea for developers to just not announce a release date at all until the game goes gold. By then, the only delay would be caused by manufacturing, which would be out of the hands of said developers.

This "delay by a month" seems to be the new trend with Sony products. It worked well for Uncharted, but didn't seem to help No Man's Sky, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Elios83

I wonder if this will get the same backlash that No Man's Sky received?

And why if the game is great and delivers on its key point of the journey and growing bond between the kid with Trico?
NMS got criticized not for a delay but because the game was boring, the point was just exploring a procedurally generated world without clear goals or story or interaction. But many people should have known better because it was clear that the game was about that, concerns about no story, no missions and whatever were raised since the beginning.

Darkgran

LOL

This game is going to be the biggest disappointment. I really wish it wouldn't have been delayed. Not that I want to play it but I am sick of hearing about it. Looks like shit from what I've seen.

Top Bottom