• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked emails reveal Nintendo has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario movie

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I really hope they will give this movie to a director who will treat it with care.

Nintendo is a very hands-on company.

They will most assuredly be part of the creative process, much like they were with Bowser's appearance in Wreck-it-Ralph.

Assuming Sony Pictures can regain composure and keep a hold on these rights/corporate benediction, the producers need to ensure their candidates for director, animation studio(s), and creative staff are top-notch. Tartakovsky would be swell! But I'd love for an animated movie to resemble Kotabe's illustrations, old and new. Something like that, in motion, with good visual writing please.

akira28

Sony......making a Mario movie.....
post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

This isn't like an alliance between Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo plays well with others, as long as you respect their rules and understand that they own the sandbox and everything in it. Including you, while you're there.

Vibranium

Banned
If it's animated, it should be fine as long as the cheery atmosphere is kept intact. I don't know why people are still so down on another movie because of the terrible live-action one, they just need to stick to animated, that's all.

DooD1234

Has Sony Picture made any good animated movies? Can't recall any at the moment but they should definitely let Gennedy tackle it after he is done with Pop eye (and if he is even interested.)

So how wobbly would this less than 2-month old deal be now if, say, details of its striking were made public for the first time in an email obtained via hack and disseminated via the world's leading personality-quiz and .gif roundup site?

Because I gotta imagine this is not how Nintendo would have liked for news about this potential partnership to get out.

Instro

I wonder if this is/was to be an E3 2015 announcement. The roof would blow off if Nintendo and Sony execs were on the same stage for this. Would have been amusing.

I think this could be cool if it happens though.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been hoping for some animated Nintendo films for a while... But not from Sony!

We need some Disney/Pixar quality!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
whoaaaaaa, interesting

I could be down for a Mario movie.

watershed

Banned
I bet this movie is gonna suck if it ever gets made. Mario cutscenes are long enough as is. The last thing Mario and gang need is more characterization and dialogue.

Has Sony ever produced good cg movies?

flohen95

Shouldn't it be reverse? I thought Nintendo went behind Sony's back.

From my understanding, they both fucked each other over. Sony wanted to retained the rights to the games released on the system, and thus Nintendo broke the contract by starting a partnership with Philips behind Sony's back.
If someone's claiming that either side was a "good guy" in that scenario, he's wrong.

Nanashrew

Banned
If everything does eventually go through and Mario does well, I hope to see a Star Fox movie or anime series one day. And a good voice cast... Star Fox is in desperate need of a good voice cast that stick with the series.

From my understanding, they both fucked each other over. Sony wanted to retained the rights to the games released on the system, and thus Nintendo broke the contract by starting a partnership with Philips behind Sony's back.
If someone's claiming that either side was a "good guy" in that scenario, he's wrong.

Sony wanted to the rights to develop games using the Nintendo IPs, but would also take a cut from any games published on the CD system. They were basically going to eat into Nintendo's pie (this was at a time when Nintendo were basically dictating what third parties could do). I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this, Nintendo had agreed to it verbally (which was assumed to mean this was OK). Sony announced the partnership at CES but, rather than Nintendo telling Sony that the partnership was off beforehand, let Sony reveal the Play Station and the next day unveiled the partnership with Phillips, with Sony execs in the room.

In any case, Nintendo went with Phillips, the end result was three awful Zelda games and an awful Mario game so, good job, I guess.

Sony then decided the main goal of the PlayStation was the crush Nintendo, which they did, handily, for 3/4 gens.

watershed

Banned
Have you played the Mario RPG games? They receive a lot of love for the story and characters.

I've played a few of them. While those games have more dialogue and story than mario platformers, Mario and Luigi are largely just silly characters who do funny things. I don't think that kind of characterization and humorous dialogue can be sustained in a feature length cartoon. Outside of saving Peach, Mario doesn't have much character and I'm not sure giving him more to be and say is a good idea.

Vena

Sony then decided the main goal of the PlayStation was the crush Nintendo, which they did, handily, for 3/4 gens.

Sony has a penchant for destroying things with the Playstation brand: Nintendo, Japanese Developers, Life, Themselves. If we don't stop them soon, they'll destroy the EARTH!!!

:p

Rembrandt

Banned
I wonder if this is/was to be an E3 2015 announcement. The roof would blow off if Nintendo and Sony execs were on the same stage for this. Would have been amusing.

I think this could be cool if it happens though.

I was thinking the same.

Shame the R&C movie is already so far in production (isn't it?) because they should just cancel that and pour all of that money into this. R&C is gonna bomb anyways.

Jamix012

Eh. Their head to head record is 3 to 3 when counting handhelds, though I fully expect them to beat Nintendo next generation too and clinch a 4-3 victory.

Good. Nintendo needs to expose their IP to kids outside of just their systems. Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Brothers both sold insanely well with over 30 million copies but that was over 5 years ago. I also thought a cartoon would be great as you could work in Donkey Kong and Wario.

Would love them to also work on a Zelda movie and Metroid OVA.

Top Bottom