• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked emails reveal Nintendo has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario movie

Shaanyboi

Banned
I can't wait for Zelda to be on PlayStation. Finally I can play some Nintendo games. :D
really_house_of_cards.gif

AniHawk

mario makes the most sense as the movie you'd want to expose people to since it has the widest appeal.

mario would probably be the least interesting thing to watch because of whatever forced accents get used and the story being well, nonexistent.

i would have done the iron man thing and chosen something that maybe not a lot of people know or care about but make that into your action movie instead in order to rebuild a franchise. something like star fox, metroid, or hell, even zelda.

Sony better watch their back that Philips don't make the movie...

Whatever happens the screenplay won't be as crazy as the original SMB Movie or this:
http://www.maxlandiswrites.com/super-mario-world/
If reading hundreds of paghes of screenplay is too much someone is doing videos on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Cp5c8dogk

Well I guess it's a loss. There's no one else left to play Mario.

Absolutely no one at all.
Thats not true at all. This guy is great:
http://youtu.be/_AkgJZGspCM?t=21s

SentryDown

Sony......making a Mario movie.....
post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

It's pretty common to see big corporations having deals, especially in fileds they're not in direct competition with each other. Think of Samsung making iPhone's chip, Microsoft having Skype/Office applications everywhere, SCE releasing PC games, Valve on consoles, the Blu-ray corporation, etc...

Get motherfucking Genndy Tartakovsky on board and it could be an adaptation of Hotel Mario for all I care.

Though Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was Sony as well though and those films similarly looked great.

i would have done the iron man thing and chosen something that maybe not a lot of people know or care about but make that into your action movie instead in order to rebuild a franchise. something like star fox, metroid, or hell, even zelda.
Do a live-action Captain Falcon sci-fi action film to drum up enough interest in a proper GX sequel.

Takao

Banned
I was thinking the same.

Shame the R&C movie is already so far in production (isn't it?) because they should just cancel that and pour all of that money into this. R&C is gonna bomb anyways.

Sony Pictures has nothing to do with the Ratchet and Sly movies.

doraemoe

Pokemon X/Y anime opening song is performed by a guy from Sony music, so this is definitely not impossible, but I doubt it will really happen.

Mario...races round a track in a Kart.

I would love to see a sort of dramatized mockumentary in the vein of Rush with Yoshi and Toad.

When I heard Yoshi died at age 23 of being double-jumped into a pit, I wasn't surprised. I was just sad. People always think of us as rivals but he was among the very few I liked and even fewer that I respected. He remains the only dinosaur I envied.

The Wikipedia entry of the 1993 film says that Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo literally got wasted in order to get through the filming, as they disliked it that much.

SerTapTap

...Sony makes movies, don't see why this is so mind-blowing beyond "ha ha mario isn't playstation".

Just hope it doesn't suck like...every other single...never mind it'll suck.

MicH

Animated Super Mario Bros. movie? I would love to see this happen. Although I fear that this leak may have jeopardized this project :(

Remember when Rare (being with Microsoft) released games on the Nintendo DS? I don't see the big fuzz. It's like Apple using Samsung parts in the iPhone. Rival corporations do collaborate like that. The actual funny comments are the people that think this may lead to Nintendo games on Sony platforms. Keep dreaming, y'all.

woopWOOP

Hearing Mario talk for long periods of time is gonna be weird.

Having Mario silent for 60-90 minutes is also gonna be weird.

Hmmmm

Sesha

I think Phil Lord and Chris Miller would be a better choice than Genndy. No disrespect to Genndy, but movie-wise Lord and Miller have a way better track record than he does. And they all make movies for Sony anyway, so.

Sony Picture Animated movies-RT
Open Season-48%
Surf's Up-78%
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs-87%
The Smurfs-22%
Arthur Christmas-91%
The Pirates! Band of misfits-86%
Hotel Transylvania-45%
The Smurfs 2-14%
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2-70%

Kinda of a meh portfolio.

Cloudy 1 by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy 1, Lego Movie, 21/22 Jump Street) was incredible though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Martinet would get the role, right?

Right?

The current Martinet voice is fine for the quick exclamations that Mario uses in the games, but it absolutely would not work for an actual movie. Given his actual talent and the fact that he's not just a one-note voice actor, though, I'm sure Martinet could alter the voice to make it work. Just make it deeper with less of an accent and there won't be a problem.

It makes sense for Nintendo to team up with Sony on this, because the alternative would be something like Disney, and we know Nintendo doesn't want to get in bed with them. Disney probably wants to add Nintendo to its collection, and that would really be a bad thing.

Besides, Sony isn't doing all that great as a company and I'm sure Nintendo sees PlayStation as an important part of the home console business' overall health. This deal would be beneficial to both companies.

As a film student with friends in the industry (including some who work at Sony), Sony doesn't have much of a good side. The leaked emails and data shows it.

They're completely money driven and have no respect for their talent. They treat them like worthless sheep.

If I complete a film and it's being shopped around to studios for distribution and promotion, if Sony offered, I'd rather go completely independent.

This isn't good news.

Richie

Nintendo loves having creative control, right?

Koizumi, writer of Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and Rosalina's backstory in Galaxy, is now at the helm of the Mario series, right?

Meaning HE would be heavily involved in a movie project where it to happen at Sony, Disney, Dreamworks or anywhere...

...right? :D :D :D

Choomp

Banned
Jonah Hill as Mario, Michael Cera as Luigi, this thing in the books we all good

Edit: aw sheet it's animated nevermind

Kyzer

Banned
They better get some top of the line CGI animators and artists cuz this will become the face of Mario for a generation

Top Bottom