• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I built Kingdoms Joust today. Such a nice set. Also tons of opportunity for expansion. Right now I'm gonna pour every yellow-faced fantasy-themed figure into it, but when it gets a permanent place in the collection I'll remodel the towers to be less fairytale pointy and change the heraldry to Gondor :D.

8nDWuiO.jpg

That thing is great. I'm really bumbed I misses Kibgdoms sets when they released. The entire line was great but they cost a lot now :(

R-User!

A couple of new additions for the display...

display_12.jpg

Based on the design of the A-Team Van I modified it to make it look more like a combie turtle wagon

display_13.jpg

Another blatant rip off of someone else's design, I had to modify a few things though as I didn't have enough of the correct pieces, I think the tail worked out better IMO though.

I am so using your van design to get something looking close to yours(I may not have all those pieces though...). It looks fantastic!! :)

I thought you said you were dangerously low on pieces.....
then you turn around and drop the Turtle Van bomb on me lol! :)

R-User!

Hey folks. I've been lurking on NeoGAF for years, especially the LEGO threads. Finally got a login sorted out, and thought it was about time I showed some of my collection.

So first of all, here's my Batcave. Based on the most recent kit, but added a bit too it. Wetwired will recognise the Tumbler! Thanks so much for posting the instructions online man.

Here's a dodgy cameraphone pic taken today. Shows a few more figures/additions...

And here's my modular collection. Not a patch on Wetwired's, but you can see I'm working on turning the bank into a modular.

I'm going to design and print a large, laminated poster with street markings to use underneath the buildings, since the road panels aren't much use.

Welcome... to the desert... of the wallet. /Morpheus

Seriously, nice Bat-Cave modification! Where did you get the light blue baseplates? :)

R-User!

That thing is great. I'm really bumbed I misses Kibgdoms sets when they released. The entire line was great but they cost a lot now :(

My local Lego(auto-correct spelling of lego via iOS) store has Kingdoms Joust set in stock. Perhaps call a local store if you have one... Maybe it'll be your lucky day!?...

PolyphonicBoy

Neo Member
I finally took the time to take some quick snaps of my display for the rapidly approaching expo. Image bomb incoming...

display_01.jpg

How about having Doc Brown hanging from the Town Hall clock? Something like this...

cb4b63ee22da11e38a1922000a1fb0ef_7.jpg

(I don't have the Town Hall, so Fire Station had to do).

A few more of my LEGO Instagrams....

ce2df3c86fc111e2a8b922000a1f8ac2_7.jpg

f95e508a3bc611e28c3c22000a1fb85a_7.jpg

My local Lego(auto-correct spelling of lego via iOS) store has Kingdoms Joust set in stock. Perhaps call a local store if you have one... Maybe it'll be your lucky day!?...

Joust is readily available anywhere as it's a 2012 exclusive set, but I don't know for how much longer.

Regular Kingdoms sets (2011?) are out of stock mostly everywhere though, and the big sets are getting expensive.

For fun I checked smaller shops for 2010-2011 stuff. There's still a surprising amount of Atlantis, Pharaoh, PotC and other discontinued stuff around, but usually at relatively high prices (which is probably why collectors haven't scooped them up already).

Yes yes yes! Welcome Polyphonic Boy. I love this pic.

Reminds me of when someone did a creepy photo diorama with the Spring set. I think it was R-User, Winnie or Harry Potter maybe?

Aaaand that's my cue to chime back in i guess... I've been gone for a good while now due to some personal issues etc. and i haven't been able to keep up with Lego unfortunately :(

I was still periodically lurking in this thread though, and i will slowly take the hobby up again now i suppose ;) ready to buy Orthanc, Ewok Village + the BTTF set any time now ugh...

As for the Spring scene set, i only did this one but not sure if it qualifies as "creepy" so maybe you meant another one

Aaaand that's my cue to chime back in i guess... I've been gone for a good while now due to some personal issues etc. and i haven't been able to keep up with Lego unfortunately :(

I was still periodically lurking in this thread though, and i will slowly take the hobby up again now i suppose ;) ready to buy Orthanc, Ewok Village + the BTTF set any time now ugh...

As for the Spring scene set, i only did this one but not sure if it qualifies as "creepy" so maybe you meant another one

I was wondering where you went. Welcome back-hope things are on track for you.

That was indeed the pic I was thinking of. Love it! That first pic definitely qualifies as creepy. Perfect depth of field.

wetwired

I am so using your van design to get something looking close to yours(I may not have all those pieces though...). It looks fantastic!! :)

I thought you said you were dangerously low on pieces.....
then you turn around and drop the Turtle Van bomb on me lol! :)
I am in certain colours. Greys, blacks etc. I have a fair bit still in basic colours, blue, yellow, green. Though I actually had to raid my old collection of lego pieces I had as a kid to make the turtle van.

So got tomorrow's sales flyers. Target is having 20% off Friends, Duplo, Chima, Hero Factory and Super Heroes.

And Toys 'R Us is having buy one get one 50% off. But its TRU so double check your prices...

wetwired

Hey folks. I've been lurking on NeoGAF for years, especially the LEGO threads. Finally got a login sorted out, and thought it was about time I showed some of my collection.

So first of all, here's my Batcave. Based on the most recent kit, but added a bit too it. Wetwired will recognise the Tumbler! Thanks so much for posting the instructions online man.

Here's a dodgy cameraphone pic taken today. Shows a few more figures/additions...

And here's my modular collection. Not a patch on Wetwired's, but you can see I'm working on turning the bank into a modular.

I'm going to design and print a large, laminated poster with street markings to use underneath the buildings, since the road panels aren't much use.

Cool, reminds me of some of the displays at ;ast years expo, one dude took LOTR sets and expanded on them like that.

BrisBricks 2012 by Brent Waller, on Flickr

BrisBricks 2012 by Brent Waller, on Flickr

wetwired

How about having Doc Brown hanging from the Town Hall clock? Something like this...

cb4b63ee22da11e38a1922000a1fb0ef_7.jpg

(I don't have the Town Hall, so Fire Station had to do).

A few more of my LEGO Instagrams....

ce2df3c86fc111e2a8b922000a1f8ac2_7.jpg

f95e508a3bc611e28c3c22000a1fb85a_7.jpg

Doc Brown could work like that pretty easily, I just don't know if he'd be too far away from from the Delorean too be noticeable.

Also great vignettes, I really need to try one some day

Nitemare1

Just a heads up for Canadians if this hasn't already been mentioned. Toys R Us has a bunch of Star Wars Lego on sale. It's no long showing up on their website but I saw two stores while I was on Vacation in New Brunswick with plenty of falcons in stock and on sale for $143.97. (I think regular price in Canada is 179ish? )That's the cheapest I've seen it in Canada. I also picked up a Y-Wing for $59.97. They had a ton of other sets there on clearance/sale too. But I didn't want to blow too much of my Vacation budget there! :)

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
A couple of new additions for the display...

display_12.jpg

Based on the design of the A-Team Van I modified it to make it look more like a combie turtle wagon
Did you take any inspiration for the Turtle Wagon from the official LEGO Rock Band Van? Because it sure has that vibe (and I mean that in a good way).

LEGORockBandBus.jpg

ghostmind

So got tomorrow's sales flyers. Target is having 20% off Friends, Duplo, Chima, Hero Factory and Super Heroes.

And Toys 'R Us is having buy one get one 50% off. But its TRU so double check your prices...

These deals are live now, but TRU has seen fit to screw with their deal more than I have ever seen (and that is saying something, since this is TRU). Half the sets are listed as a "Hot Price" (aka MSRP) and are exempt from the sale, and the many of the rest have been jacked up this evening to obscene levels.

Examples?

Minecraft sets at $50
Jabba's Palace $153
Helm's Deep $166
Vampyre Castle $130

TRU seriously has no shame.

These deals are live now, but TRU has seen fit to screw with their deal more than I have ever seen (and that is saying something, since this is TRU). Half the sets are listed as a "Hot Price" (aka MSRP) and are exempt from the sale, and the many of the rest have been jacked up this evening to obscene levels.

Examples?

Minecraft sets at $50
Jabba's Palace $153
Helm's Deep $166
Vampyre Castle $130

LOL. That is nuts. Especially since Helm's Deep and Vampyre Castle have gone clearance at so many places.

Speaking of which, I have a BN coupon for 15% off that expires at the end of Sunday if anyone wants it. One near me has most of Monster Fighters and LOTR sets left (yes, even Vampyre Castle and Helm's Deep), but has also gotten in the summer assortments for Friends, Chima, Star Wars, Galaxy Squad, and Creator.

PM me if you want the coupon.

neonglow

Examples?

Minecraft sets at $50
Jabba's Palace $153
Helm's Deep $166
Vampyre Castle $130

LEGO City Starter Set is MSRP and should work on the sale. They probably forgot about this one.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22290676&searchURL=false

neonglow

I still think there's some deals to be had at TRU instore tomorrow even with the crazy prices. There's 3 different promos that you can combine. The best way to maximize is to get your BOGO 50% off total to be around $40-45.

LEGO BOGO 50%
$10 Gift Card with $40 toy purchase (instore only)
10% cashback rewards on all LEGO purchases in September and October

I just purchased some old LEGO sets off Bricklink and these are the SMALLEST boxed sets I've seen. I've added the Clone Trooper polybag as a size reference.

ghostmind

I still think there's some deals to be had at TRU instore tomorrow even with the crazy prices. There's 3 different promos that you can combine. The best way to maximize is to get your BOGO 50% off total to be around $40-45.

LEGO BOGO 50%

For sure in-store is the way to go, as they don't have these sudden price increases and "Hot Price" garbage.

ghostmind

Super Hero Deals @ Target

Wolverine's Chopper Showdown is $13
Batmobile & Two Face Chase is $38

Quinjet is $43!!!!

BUY THE QUINJET LEGO-GAF!

ghostmind

LEGO BOGO 50%

I just purchased some old LEGO sets off Bricklink and these are the SMALLEST boxed sets I've seen. I've added the Clone Trooper polybag as a size reference.

Wow those look even smaller than the new reduced-packaging smallest sets from this year.

I like that farm set - you get a pig and a different style of dog than the one they always include currently.

ghostmind

Thinking of picking up 4 Friends sets from the Target sale. That will bring my 2013 Friends purchases up to 8 sets for the year.

I don't have any daughters.

JANGBRiCKS has given a very positive review to the new Winter Village Market. Looking forward to getting it myself next month.

http://youtu.be/-kmjku-RAWo

Still meh on that. It's a bit too garish and I'm never a fan of a ton of separate little builds. I guess if you already have the other WV sets it can be a good centerpoint.

I'm also a little bit disappointed that Jang didn't point out the blue arches, but then again he tends to focus on play value, not strictly AFOL stuff.

neonglow

Thinking of picking up 4 Friends sets from the Target sale. That will bring my 2013 Friends purchases up to 8 sets for the year.

I don't have any daughters.

Consider picking up Emma's Horse Trailer for $20 if you have the slightest interest in it. I think it will go out of print soon and was probably a Target store exclusive. I've actually never seen this set at retail anywhere.

I'm considering a few Friends sets. My daughter is in that weird Duplo is too baby but regular sets are too advanced age group. So next year I'll have some sets ready to go. Or superheroes cause ya know batman's bad ass.

wetwired

Did you take any inspiration for the Turtle Wagon from the official LEGO Rock Band Van? Because it sure has that vibe (and I mean that in a good way).

LEGORockBandBus.jpg

No actually I based it on the A-Team design that I stole from someone else, modified to look more like a VW though but that's pretty damn close, I wish I had that to follow, would have saved me some time.

wetwired

Some more updates for the display...
display_14.jpg

The Blues Brothers Car, I am going to buy some of those little gold star stickers to stick on the door of the police car for added effect. Inspired by someone elses creation I saw online.

display_15.jpg

As requested, Doc Brown hanging from the wire of the town hall

display_16.jpg

I thought I'd take quick stab at the Batpod, it came out better than I expected but I might go back and spend some more time on it, I think I can get it looking better.

display_17.jpg

I'm interested to see if people immediately know who this guy is supposed to be...

Also I didn't bother taking a photo but I managed to scrounge enough pieces to make another Xenomorph, I think I might tuck them away somewhere surrounding some of the CMF Hazmat guys.

Terminator, of course!

Edit: He might look good on a motorcycle too.

Edit 2: also, replace Venom with Doc Oc. It's a much more poseable and dynamic minifig. You can do lots more with him vs Spiderman.

Olivia's House is $51 with free shipping at Target.

Hurm. Tempting. Tempting. Been eyeing that set since it was released.

Super Hero Deals @ Target

Wolverine's Chopper Showdown is $13
Batmobile & Two Face Chase is $38

Quinjet is $43!!!!

BUY THE QUINJET LEGO-GAF!

Seconded. Quinjet people. QUINJET. Some others that gave into Ghostmind and I raving about it were converted to fans as well. Get it before it is too late.

I'm considering a few Friends sets. My daughter is in that weird Duplo is too baby but regular sets are too advanced age group. So next year I'll have some sets ready to go. Or superheroes cause ya know batman's bad ass.

The Friends line is really great. It is a shame that so many people put the "Oh, it's a girls toy" stigma on it, because the sheer creativity in most of them is wonderful and better than what other themes are doing. Perhaps it is because many of the things are woefully underrepresented in City that makes it shine more.

It has been a bit, but I will try and pimp Dolphin Cruiser again. That set is so much fun.

Apple Tree house, if it is a reasonable price. It just retired and is hard to find now. Very nice set.

Flyingpig is right. Apple Tree House is an ace set (bought it twice just for parts!), and is out of print now. The Minecraft stuff will be around for a bit since it is new.

Thank you both. Bought.

It was $44 CDN due to a 25% off sale. I picked up Family House on Thursday during the same sale...interested to see how the Creator Houses stack up build-wise. Haven't touched them before now.

Thank you both. Bought.

It was $44 CDN due to a 25% off sale. I picked up Family House on Thursday during the same sale...interested to see how the Creator Houses stack up build-wise. Haven't touched them before now.

There is really no interior to Apple Tree House, but the little flourishes in the yard are really nice. It is also a fantastic parts pack. All those dark blue roof slopes and two light green 16x32 baseplates.

Top Bottom