• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I'm surprised by Lord of the Rings not selling well...it seemed like a no brainer. Maybe because the movies have been out for awhile? Who knows.

And I guess that explains why we haven't seen more firesales of LR stuff.

If you guys want to do a marketplace thread, why not do it like the Eurobricks one for CMF trading where everyone has a post where they list stuff and the top post has a link to each individual's stuff?

Ryuuroden

Hobbit sets bigger sellers than LotR? Wow, that's surprising to me. Bag End aside I haven't liked any of the Hobbit sets... and to be fair, with different minifigs, Bag End could have been a LotR set!

Based on my own inaccurate survey of 3 Lego stores in Ohio, 1 in Indiana, 1 in Michigan and 1 in Pennsylvania, according to the sales people at those stores, Unexpected Gathering and Attack of the Wargs sold the best while the first wave of LoTR sets sold terrible at least at the LEGO Stores but the 2nd wave with includes council of Elrond, the Corsair Ship, and Black Gate have sold much better but still overall not that well. Add that to the fact that multiple LoTR sets have been retired really quick compared to other lines and you start to see a pattern. I do a lot of traveling for work which allows me to check this stuff.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien so this makes me sad but it is also the reason I search for all this info. For instance I can tell you nothing about Chima since its not a line I care about.

ghostmind

I'm surprised by Lord of the Rings not selling well...it seemed like a no brainer. Maybe because the movies have been out for awhile? Who knows.

If you guys want to do a marketplace thread, why not do it like the Eurobricks one for CMF trading where everyone has a post where they list stuff and the top post has a link to each individual's stuff?

I like this idea - it would keep the post count down and make it easier to find specific deals.

Who wants to go ahead and create it in the Community OT?

Ryuuroden

I like this idea - it would keep the post count down and make it easier to find specific deals.

Who wants to go ahead and create it in the Community OT?

I think he means maybe each of us could have our own single post in this thread with there being links to each post at the very beginning of the OT3, this way the thread doesn't stagnate and if there is only 10 of us looking for stuff or even 20, that's only 20 posts that we can always edit but will be hotlinked at the beginning of the thread by Pbone.

ghostmind

Fire Brigade is not a surprise. Well, it is a surprise it took this long to go away. Tower Bridge is another that is not shocking. Town Hall and especially Orthanc going away are a surprise.

And planning on making the long drive to the LEGO store tomorrow. Plan is Ewok Village, but if they have the LE Technic Crawler, I might bite on that instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO discontinued all 10,000 series sets prior to the new Creator Expert branding. I'm sure they want to reach a point where their branding is consistent in stores.

I am surprised by Orthanc being on that list - perhaps it was always meant for a limited run.

Based on my own inaccurate survey of 3 Lego stores in Ohio, 1 in Indiana, 1 in Michigan and 1 in Pennsylvania, according to the sales people at those stores, Unexpected Gathering and Attack of the Wargs sold the best while the first wave of LoTR sets sold terrible at least at the LEGO Stores but the 2nd wave with includes council of Elrond, the Corsair Ship, and Black Gate have sold much better but still overall not that well. Add that to the fact that multiple LoTR sets have been retired really quick compared to other lines and you start to see a pattern. I do a lot of traveling for work which allows me to check this stuff.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien so this makes me sad but it is also the reason I search for all this info. For instance I can tell you nothing about Chima since its not a line I care about.

Not too surprised. The kids haven't seen LotR but they might have caught The Hobbit or at least been exposed to the story. UG has Bag End and a good selection of dwarves, AW has Thorin.

I would think the novelty of LotR1 and gathering the fellowship would make those sets sell better than LotR2 (which was terribly lacking in hobbits).

I'm sad that Orthanc is leaving already. If you ever want to build it, you might want to start looking for deals. I don't think any parts are unique but lots of stickers will be, and it's really plain without them.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Feels like Orthanc just came out, baffling its going so soon. Clearly didnt have legs the same way something like Fire Brigade has, its been around forever.

I still need to pick up some Lone Ranger sets- i never expected them to be round for long, but better snap em quickly. Castle and Galaxy Squad news is disappointing :(

R-User!

I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO discontinued all 10,000 series sets prior to the new Creator Expert branding. I'm sure they want to reach a point where their branding is consistent in stores.

I am surprised by Orthanc being on that list - perhaps it was always meant for a limited run.

I sent you a PM; thought I'd let you know. :)

Feels like Orthanc just came out, baffling its going so soon. Clearly didnt have legs the same way something like Fire Brigade has, its been around forever.

I still need to pick up some Lone Ranger sets- i never expected them to be round for long, but better snap em quickly. Castle and Galaxy Squad news is disappointing :(

To be fair, Castle wasn't much to write home about this time around. Pretty much just a dragon to pick up if you didn't have one already.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
To be fair, Castle wasn't much to write home about this time around. Pretty much just a dragon to pick up if you didn't have one already.
Oh its just a quick rehash, definitely. Not surprising its just the one wave but disappointing all the same an evergreen theme like Castle isnt getting more love.

Hopefully next year/the year after we get a new Pirates theme :)

-First wave of LoTR sets including surprisingly Tower of Orthanc (that news blew my mind)
-Lone Ranger (I have been told its sold quite well cause there was a heavy demand for western themed sets so shitty movie did not matter)
-5x Thanksgiving Polybag
Also, my LEGO Store received 30 more of the LE Technic Rover and they are going to let me trade in the damaged one I got that I had to pay full price for, for an undamaged one.

I'm not terribly surprised at Orthanc getting discontinued if it's true. My local store said it hasn't been selling well and the whole thing reminds me of the B-Wing....a big set nobody really wants.

I'm jealous of your Thanksgiving poly bags-still can't find them. I'm also surprised that Lone Ranger is selling well! I always see fully stocked shelves.

My store also received a ton of the LE Technic Rover as well. I've seen it in multiple shops recent.

Orthanc Black Friday sale incoming?

Don't you start rumors.

I'm still looking for some tips on how to set up the thread, which everyone chose to ignore. Makes me a sad panda. But seriously, since it's relatively important I want to make sure its done right the first time.

I'll see if I can finish whipping something up tonight though for us. I'll probably have the second post be something I edit with all known PAB items that we are looking for so it'll be a quick search when someone pops into a store. And ill keep updates as need changes for each of us.

So would a marketplace be tossed into the off topic community area then?

Both great ideas! Make it so.

I'd like to know the numbers as selling well is a relative term. By selling well, does that mean according to projections or relative to other themes? LEGO has had a huge hit with Ninjago and is in a golden age (IMO) so they may be selling a lot, but not many compared to Ninjago or Star Wars.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hobbit sets bigger sellers than LotR? Wow, that's surprising to me. Bag End aside I haven't liked any of the Hobbit sets... and to be fair, with different minifigs, Bag End could have been a LotR set!

I suppose The Hobbit is newer and kids are more into it than LotR which they might have never seen. I dunno. I like the LotR stuff better.

Galaxy Quest going is not much of a surprise to me. It's probably getting replaced by a new Space theme.

Nitemare1

Grand Emporium looks better than Fire Brigade when completed, but dat second floor of Fire Brigade is god tier.
Agreed that Pet Shop reigns. So much variety and character to it.

I think you just sold me on Pet Shop. I don't really have any desire to have all of them but I do already have GE and the Cinema so I think Pet Shop might look good between the two of them.

Oh its just a quick rehash, definitely. Not surprising its just the one wave but disappointing all the same an evergreen theme like Castle isnt getting more love.

Hopefully next year/the year after we get a new Pirates theme :)

Speaking of rumors, awhile ago someone posted here that a certain part mainly used for ships is going into production again.

I'm not terribly surprised at Orthanc getting discontinued if it's true. My local store said it hasn't been selling well and the whole thing reminds me of the B-Wing....a big set nobody really wants.

I'm jealous of your Thanksgiving poly bags-still can't find them. I'm also surprised that Lone Ranger is selling well! I always see fully stocked shelves.

My store also received a ton of the LE Technic Rover as well. I've seen it in multiple shops recent.

Don't you start rumors.
Only speculating is all. I have no sources for rumors other than people here, so I find out at the same time. :)

Getting excited about my trip tomorrow to the store. It has been too long since I went.

Why LEGO!?! Why must you tease me so?!?

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/10/16/new-character-images-from-lego-marvel-super-heroes/
2-Havok-500x147.jpg

Sooo many characters that aren't real, but could be easily made!!!!!!

*shakes fist at LEGO*

Why LEGO!?! Why must you tease me so?!?

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/10/16/new-character-images-from-lego-marvel-super-heroes/
2-Havok-500x147.jpg

Sooo many characters that aren't real, but could be easily made!!!!!!

*shakes fist at LEGO*

Have you guys played the demo? It's so good, easily the best LEGO gane since Batman 2. I'm going to wait out the PS4 release.

Also, it's a damn shame that Galaxy Squad is already biting the dust. At least it lasted one wave longer than Alien Conquest. And shiiiiit, I really need to buy both Haunted House and Town Hall. Not sure I can afford them until January though.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Oh man, I'm gonna have to jump on Town Hall and camel soon. Should I go double VIP or wait until later. Damn you LEGO!!!

ghostmind

The actual (non-translated) LEGO Movie set names:

70800 Getaway Glider
70801 Melting Room
70802 Bad Cop's Pursuit
70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace
70804 Ice Cream Machine
70805 Trash Chomper
70806 Castle Cavalry
70807 MetalBeard's Duel
70808 Super Cycle Chase
70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair

Ponn

Banned
I got my new Lego catalog. If you do get a 10 percent off coupon where would it be in the catalog? I don't think I saw anything like it and as long as they have a discount for Brickfriday its fine but just wondering. It had those christmas polybags just posted listed at 7.99 a piece and a bunch of what looks like tree ornaments with lego built items inside of them called baubles.

I got my new Lego catalog. If you do get a 10 percent off coupon where would it be in the catalog? I don't think I saw anything like it and as long as they have a discount for Brickfriday its fine but just wondering. It had those christmas polybags just posted listed at 7.99 a piece and a bunch of what looks like tree ornaments with lego built items inside of them called baubles.

The coupon is on the back page, right by your address. I am going to TRU this weekend for Bricktober and then to LEGO store.

Speaking of the Christmas LEGO catalog, I noticed that the original Minecraft set is listed twice, with different prices (including adjusted VIP points).

This is the Canadian catalog-does the US one have the same issue?

Ponn

Banned
Speaking of the Christmas LEGO catalog, I noticed that the original Minecraft set is listed twice, with different prices (including adjusted VIP points).

This is the Canadian catalog-does the US one have the same issue?

Just checked, see the two Minecraft listings but price and vip are same for both.

The coupon is on the back page, right by your address. I am going to TRU this weekend for Bricktober and then to LEGO store.

ok thanks, nada then.

ghostmind

Descriptions of the Hobbit sets:

79011 Dol Guldur Ambush : This set includes Beorn with an ax and two Gunbadad Orcs (with hair), one equipped with a shoulder armor. The set, a ruin in Dark Grey.

79012 Mirkwood Elf Army : The set includes Thranduil with armor, crown and identical to that of Aragorn sword, two elves (Dark Green with Brown armor) equipped with hoods, and an elf with hair (without hood so). Elves are printed with shields. A Warg in Dark Brown and 2 orcs (Dark Tan) are in this set.

79014 Dol Guldur Battle : The set includes Gandalf , Radagast (with hat and beard) The Necromancer (Black with a green skull) Azog in Tan identical to the exclusive minifig of San Diego Comic Con 2013 and 2 Gunbadad Orcs , different orcs we already know and equipped with white paint war. One of the orcs is not wearing a shoulder armor, the other. No hair on the orcs. The set, a ruin in Dark Grey with a statue of a woman.
No Bolg in this wave set.

R-User!

Bummer about no Smaug so far, but it seems like it could be hard for them to do without a custom mold... Maybe they're waiting to see the performance of DoS before the release a 10000 Smaug?

Getting all of those. Beorn, Radagast, Thranduil and Azog as well as a ton of army builders. And I guess Necromancer could be a cool design.

And only one more Useless Gandalf.

Fowler

I basically only want Radagast, and even then mainly because my girlfriend's favourite Doctor Who played him in the movie.

wetwired

As disappointed as I was with the Hobbit movie I'm glad it was bad, it's saved my wallet a considerable amount of money.

Falch

Sounds like I'll just be bricklinking a few Hobbit minifigs, like I was planning.

Definitely getting Tower of Orthanc and Town Hall in early 2014, at the latest.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I've tried to watch it twice and have lost interest half way both times.

At least it gave us the Unexpected Gathering set and some interesting figs.

I actually just watched it for probably the 6th time yesterday. Followed it up with Star Wars Episode IV and V. I don't get all the hate.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was looking through the catalog that came a few days ago...I'm really not that impressed with the current lineup. A LOT of playsets (which I get is a major focus of LEGO). To each their own of course.

ruxtpin

Banned
Will buy all Hobbit sets! And LotR. I need to pick up another Helms Deep before it's gone. I told myself that I'd get all LotR/Hobbit sets (with the exception of the poly bags, I don't have time to go and find those things).

I actually just watched it for probably the 6th time yesterday. Followed it up with Star Wars Episode IV and V. I don't get all the hate.

I don't get it either. I could understand, it was meh or so-so, but bad? Maybe it's because I didn't read the book and didn't have a preconception of what it should be like. I only have vague recollections of the Hobbit animation from the 70's. To each their own.

I... have girlfriend endorsement to buy haunted house and helm's deep at the same time. Amid the guilt over spending money I tend to forget that she started the whole lego thing for us....

Our wallets are gonna bleeeed.

Top Bottom