• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I'm a few modulars behing, should I just pick them from S@H for double points or wait for some better offers?

Double points will be the easiest discount to find. LEGO Group has put restrictions on coupons and discounts for large exclusive sets like the modulars. It's unlikely we'll see any amazing modular deals for the masses in the near future. I still need Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and beyond. Arkham Asylum and Haunted House derailed me.

Are these base plates good? I'm looking for a couple to help build my halloween scene.

Lego baseplate

Thinking of getting a couple green and one blue.

Amazon price is MSRP. Why not get them from LEGO S@H? You get double points and free shipping if you buy $75+. Add a few of these to your Halloween scene. The price is a great deal right now. $10.50

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Halloween-Accessory-Set-850487

850487-1.jpg

Bentbricks, junior LEGOGAF enabler.

Ponn

Banned
They are baseplates. Not much else to them than that. I have one of those, one grey, and one blue one under my halloween scene. Also one grey 48x48 plate.

Fair enough. I figure I can use the green ones to build on either Helms Deep or Unexpected Journey.

Amazon price is MSRP. Why not get them from LEGO S@H? You get double points and free shipping if you buy $75+. Add a few of these to your Halloween scene. The price is a great deal right now.
Bentbricks, senior LEGOGAF enabler.

My S@H order for this month already shipped :( And I actually got that Accessory box last month. Plus I need these by this weekend so I can work on it.

Fair enough. I figure I can use the green ones to build on either Helms Deep or Unexpected Journey.

My S@H order for this month already shipped :( And I actually got that Accessory box last month. Plus I need these by this weekend so I can work on it.
And if you need it a different color, just use bricks. :)

It's a miracle Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium are still around. And soon Pet Shop as well. Buy now if you have the means.

There are a lot of sets I'll happily tell you to avoid, but Bone is right in that these three are an absolute must if you have even a passing interest in the series. Pet Shop is easily my all-time favorite LEGO set, and the other two complement it so nicely. Grand Emporium doesn't get nearly enough love-I actually prefer it to Fire Brigade personally.

Double points will be the easiest discount to find. LEGO Group has put restrictions on coupons and discounts for large exclusive sets like the modulars. It's unlikely we'll see any amazing modular deals for the masses in the near future. I still need Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and beyond. Arkham Asylum and Haunted House derailed me.

This is true. You're basically getting 10% back this month on all sets, so it's a great time to buy.

BentBricks how did you like Arkham? I hadn't really considered it as a purchase but it looks nice....

Are these base plates good? I'm looking for a couple to help build my halloween scene.

Lego baseplate

Thinking of getting a couple green and one blue.

I think those retail for $10 CDN so $5 seems like a good price. You can't go wrong with more baseplates...

Grand Emporium looks better than Fire Brigade when completed, but dat second floor of Fire Brigade is god tier.
Agreed that Pet Shop reigns. So much variety and character to it.

BentBricks how did you like Arkham? I hadn't really considered it as a purchase but it looks nice....

I'll let you know when I build it. Just moved and I have a HUUUUUGE backlog. I'll post the photo I took of my unopened sets when I was packing. It's scary.

Trying this Seene app with some Legos

http://seene.co/s/PrHqZS

That's cool! It gives a whole new dimension to selfies (pun intended).

Hello lego-gaf.

Any modular buildings, LotR/ Hobbit sets, or superhero sets that are currently on death-watch?

Rumor has it Haunted House won't make it past this year. I truly don't understand why as I'm sure it would sell well next year around Halloween. I guess too much in the pipeline.

I expect almost all Avengers and the other first run Super Hero sets to end after this year. Well, maybe a couple may still linger. Dat "Superman vs Power Armor Lex"!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Retiring-Soon

neonglow

Hello lego-gaf.

Any modular buildings, LotR/ Hobbit sets, or superhero sets that are currently on death-watch?

The entire first wave of LOTR sets won't make it past this year. Get Helm's Deep while you can. An Unexpected Gathering Hobbit house set could disappear this year too since it's been clearanced at several places over the summer.

I hope that the seasonal polybags have been successful for LEGO, because I want them to continue for 2014!

I wished they made a Halloween seasonal set focused on kids trick or treating. Hopefully these continue into 2014.

I'll let you know when I build it. Just moved and I have a HUUUUUGE backlog. I'll post the photo I took of my unopened sets when I was packing. It's scary.

That's cool! It gives a whole new dimension to selfies (pun intended).

Rumor has it Haunted House won't make it past this year. I truly don't understand why as I'm sure it would sell well next year around Halloween. I guess too much in the pipeline.

I expect almost all Avengers and the other first run Super Hero sets to end after this year. Well, maybe a couple may still linger. Dat "Superman vs Power Armor Lex"!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Retiring-Soon

Oh goodness no I shouldn't impulse-buy HH...... urgh

I can live without the marvel ones. I would be paying top dollar just to have minifigures and I can't bring myself to do it.

Helm's deep and uruk hai army are out of stock on lego shop@home. Should I be frightened for them? This purchase I'm kind of on the edge of jumping on... amazon has em....

edit: more posts showed up while I was typing dangit

GUESS MY MONEY IS GOING AWAY IN THE NEAR FUTURE

wetwired

So it's been nearly 2 weeks since the lego expo I displayed at, I'm still breaking down the display and sorting and I still have the palace cinema and the alleyway building to break down and then at a guess at least 4 nights remaining of sorting :/

I've come to the conclusion I have a lot of lego, I've had to buy 10 new containers for sorting and organising and I reckon I'll need a few more by the end of this.

I've been having a lot of ideas though for future additions to my display, I think I'll make "The Bat" to go along with my tumblers, there's a pretty decent one on cuusoo with instructions so I might just do that.

I think I'll definitely take a shot at the back to the future clock tower, I'll rebuild the alleyway building to be modular for easier transport, finish stay puft marshmallow man...some other buildings (suggestions welcome, movie related if possible that would fit in a city scene), maybe a modular police station, or the city hall from the end of the dark knight rises. I even have some fairly crazy ambitious ideas like building a city above with an underground below with turtle lair, batcave (based on the nolan movies with the water, archway/wayne manor foundations. And the craziest idea of all, somehow mounting "The Bat" and the camo tumbler to a train track and motorising them to look like it's chasing the tumbler down the street, the trickiest part being building it supports for both those vehicles THROUGH the road somehow.

/rambling

rallaren

I got around building Bug Obliterator which was nice. I don't like the white and bright orange and the ground vehicle has a brick plate that touches ground when you run it. I would have loved having it as a kid because of the features. I still hold Earth Defense HQ and Sith Fury (might have been different had I built this after BO) above it.

ruxtpin

Banned
$150 dollar bricklink order placed. Maybe I can finally finish that castle MOC that I've had sitting for for 5 months...

I got around building Bug Obliterator which was nice. I don't like the white and bright orange and the ground vehicle has a brick plate that touches ground when you run it. I would have loved having it as a kid because of the features. I still hold Earth Defense HQ and Sith Fury (might have been different had I built this after BO) above it.

What do you like about this set? I love the top mounted ship but everything in the set seems so hard to get at.

rallaren

What do you like about this set? I love the top mounted ship but everything in the set seems so hard to get at.
I still like the design. The ship is a great addition. My biggest disappointment is probably the brain scanner which I thought was supposed to be some kind of engine or similar when I watched reviews/previews. I just think it's a well made set but the inside could have been made easier to access as you say.

I don't have much to compare it to unfortunately.

Oh goodness no I shouldn't impulse-buy HH...... urgh

I can live without the marvel ones. I would be paying top dollar just to have minifigures and I can't bring myself to do it.

Helm's deep and uruk hai army are out of stock on lego shop@home. Should I be frightened for them? This purchase I'm kind of on the edge of jumping on... amazon has em....

edit: more posts showed up while I was typing dangit

GUESS MY MONEY IS GOING AWAY IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Anyone entering this thread and expecting to escape without buying something...good luck.

What tiggerkiddo said. ^

This is an enablers thread. It's like an alcoholic going into a bar. I don't advocate throwing your money away over LEGO, but you can step very close to the line. Standing over the edge of a cliff won't kill you, walking off it will.

I find it hilarious that as I enter this thread, the ads above is showing LEGO S@H free shipping banner. It's bad enough reading through all these enablers and then the ads above show up reminding me shopping for LEGO is just a click away.

On that note, I think I am going to go pick up Haunted House this weekend for double VIP and freebies.

Ryuuroden

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. Got a larger list of what LEGO is ending production of at the end of the year from a source who was at a recent management meeting in Billund. I'm sharing it since its not really secret news cause I checked with my local LEGO store management and they freely told me the same thing. Just cause it's ending production does not mean the sets will vanish at the same time. Just means no more will be manufactured.

ENDING PRODUCTION:

-Town Hall
-Fire Brigade
-All Monster Fighter Sets including Haunted House
-Galaxy Squad
-First wave of LoTR sets including surprisingly Tower of Orthanc (that news blew my mind)
-Sopwith Camel
-Tower Bridge
-Lone Ranger (I have been told its sold quite well cause there was a heavy demand for western themed sets so shitty movie did not matter)
-Castle Line (I should of asked if they meant Kingdoms Joust or the new line cause that's really recent. It would explain however why there has been no announcement of more sets.)

There were more most likely but I didn't get the full list and when I talked to them I was mainly asking about sets I was interested in.

This is going to affect what I buy this month now so I plan on going back to the LEGO Store tomorrow.

Today I bought:

-Back to the Future Set
-5x Fall Polybag
-5x Thanksgiving Polybag
-3 Large containers from PAB
-2 Containers of 2x2 Light Bley tiles (If there was anyone here interested in those, I am going back tomorrow)
-1 Container 1x6 dark blue tiles, and random other things

Stuff from PAB I am looking for include:
-any color tree leaf bricks ( not the palm leafs, the large 5 by something ones)
-1x2 tiles in Black, Dark Bley, Light Bley, Dark Blue, Brick Red, White, Dark Green, Tan, Brown, Light Blue
-2x2 tiles in same colors as above minus Tan and Light Bley
-1x1 tiles in same colors as 1x2s

Also, my LEGO Store received 30 more of the LE Technic Rover and they are going to let me trade in the damaged one I got that I had to pay full price for, for an undamaged one.

rataven

Town Hall before Grand Emporium and Pet Shop? I suppose I'm not too surprised since it does cost more, but still. Seems quick.

And guess I'm gonna have to jump on Orthanc soon. I'm good on the rest except Sopwith Camel -- to buy or not to buy?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So Galaxy Squad is over, then? *vader_noooo.gif*

And to think it's ended before the Red Team got a good vehicle. Think I'll try a MOC to correct that...

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. Got a larger list of what LEGO is ending production of at the end of the year from a source who was at a recent management meeting in Billund. I'm sharing it since its not really secret news cause I checked with my local LEGO store management and they freely told me the same thing. Just cause it's ending production does not mean the sets will vanish at the same time. Just means no more will be manufactured.

ENDING PRODUCTION:

-Town Hall
-Fire Brigade
-Galaxy Squad
-First wave of LoTR sets including surprisingly Tower of Orthanc (that news blew my mind)
-Sopwith Camel
-Tower Bridge
-Lone Ranger (I have been told its sold quite well cause there was a heavy demand for western themed sets so shitty movie did not matter)
-Castle Line (I should of asked if they meant Kingdoms Joust or the new line cause that's really recent. It would explain however why there has been no announcement of more sets.)

There were more most likely but I didn't get the full list and when I talked to them I was mainly asking about sets I was interested in.

This is going to affect what I buy this month now so I plan on going back to the LEGO Store tomorrow.

Today I bought:

-Back to the Future Set
-5x Fall Polybag
-5x Thanksgiving Polybag
-3 Large containers from PAB
-2 Containers of 2x2 Light Bley tiles (If there was anyone here interested in those, I am going back tomorrow)
-1 Container 1x6 dark blue tiles, and random other things

Stuff from PAB I am looking for include:
-any color tree leaf bricks ( not the palm leafs, the large 5 by something ones)
-1x2 tiles in Black, Dark Bley, Light Bley, Dark Blue, Brick Red, White, Dark Green, Tan, Brown, Light Blue
-2x2 tiles in same colors as above minus Tan and Light Bley
-1x1 tiles in same colors as 1x2s

Also, my LEGO Store received 30 more of the LE Technic Rover and they are going to let me trade in the damaged one I got that I had to pay full price for, for an undamaged one.

Wow. Good to know. As I definitely want some on that list.

We need the PAB Exchange thread started. :) I believe someone mentioned it could be part of a general LEGO marketplace too for buying and selling stuff too.

I'm dying for the same PAB stuff you mentioned. I hear they are in the wild, but not in my LEGO store.

EDIT: I sent a PM to you Ryuuroden

What tiggerkiddo said. ^

This is an enablers thread. It's like an alcoholic going into a bar. I don't advocate throwing your money away over LEGO, but you can step very close to the line. Standing over the edge of a cliff won't kill you, walking off it will.

Oh you started taking my money ages ago. I have got:

Fire brigade
Grand emporium
Scorpion pyramid
Jokers funhouse
Superman v lex
Six monster fighters sets- swamp, wolf, mummy, zombies, dr frankenstein, and THE GLORIOUS VAMPIRE CASTLE
And for lord of the rings/ hobbit, 6 sets.

So Galaxy Squad is over, then? *vader_noooo.gif*

And to think it's ended before the Red Team got a good vehicle. Think I'll try a MOC to correct that...

We can hope they come out with a battle pack if they have a lot of leftover Galaxy Squad minifigs. I'd be all over that like alien flies on <fill in the blank>..

ENDING PRODUCTION:

-Town Hall
-Fire Brigade
-Galaxy Squad
-Sopwith Camel
-Tower Bridge

Fire Brigade is not a surprise. Well, it is a surprise it took this long to go away. Tower Bridge is another that is not shocking. Town Hall and especially Orthanc going away are a surprise.

And planning on making the long drive to the LEGO store tomorrow. Plan is Ewok Village, but if they have the LE Technic Crawler, I might bite on that instead.

Ryuuroden

Fire Brigade is not a surprise. Well, it is a surprise it took this long to go away. Tower Bridge is another that is not shocking. Town Hall and especially Orthanc going away are a surprise.

And planning on making the long drive to the LEGO store tomorrow. Plan is Ewok Village, but if they have the LE Technic Crawler, I might bite on that instead.

I am honestly not that surprised about Town Hall, the other sets are more popular and my guess is Grand Emporium is staying around so that there are 2 corner modular's sticking around plus it has been a really popular set.

Orthanc is what surprised me but from what I have been told by people who work at retailers that sell LEGO is that the LoTR line has been one of the least popular lines out there sales wise with only a couple sets selling really well and those ones being from the Hobbit movie not the LoTR movies. At my local Lego Store, the Lone Ranger sets have sold better than the LoTR sets. There is a sizable surplus of Orthancs out there so I would not be surprised if it stayed around for a while after production ended. It is not like this hasn't happened before if we all recall the UCS B-wing and that was a Star Wars line item which is usually always a good seller.

I am honestly not that surprised about Town Hall, the other sets are more popular and my guess is Grand Emporium is staying around so that there are 2 corner modular's sticking around plus it has been a really popular set.

Orthanc is what surprised me but from what I have been told by people who work at retailers that sell LEGO is that the LoTR line has been one of the least popular lines out there sales wise with only a couple sets selling really well and those ones being from the Hobbit movie not the LoTR movies. At my lego store, the Lone Ranger sets have sold better than the LoTR sets. There is a sizable surplus of Orthancs out there so I would not be surprised if it stayed around for a while after production ended. It is not like this hasn't happened before if we all recall the UCS B-wing and that was a Star Wars line item which is usually always a good seller.

Orthanc Black Friday sale incoming?

shadow29

Neo Member
Wow. Good to know. As I definitely want some on that list.

We need the PAB Exchange thread started. :) I believe someone mentioned it could be part of a general LEGO marketplace too for buying and selling stuff too.

I'm dying for the same PAB stuff you mentioned. I hear they are in the wild, but not in my LEGO store.

EDIT: I sent a PM to you Ryuuroden

I'm still looking for some tips on how to set up the thread, which everyone chose to ignore. Makes me a sad panda. But seriously, since it's relatively important I want to make sure its done right the first time.

I'll see if I can finish whipping something up tonight though for us. I'll probably have the second post be something I edit with all known PAB items that we are looking for so it'll be a quick search when someone pops into a store. And ill keep updates as need changes for each of us.

So would a marketplace be tossed into the off topic community area then?

Fowler

Orthanc is what surprised me but from what I have been told by people who work at retailers that sell LEGO is that the LoTR line has been one of the least popular lines out there sales wise with only a couple sets selling really well and those ones being from the Hobbit movie not the LoTR movies. At my local Lego Store, the Lone Ranger sets have sold better than the LoTR sets. There is a sizable surplus of Orthancs out there so I would not be surprised if it stayed around for a while after production ended. It is not like this hasn't happened before if we all recall the UCS B-wing and that was a Star Wars line item which is usually always a good seller.

Hobbit sets bigger sellers than LotR? Wow, that's surprising to me. Bag End aside I haven't liked any of the Hobbit sets... and to be fair, with different minifigs, Bag End could have been a LotR set!

Top Bottom