• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lily Bergamo was turned into Let It Die

klee123

I wish Japanese companies would stop trying to appeal to western gamers...apparently they think brown/gray/tan ugly artstyle games are our preference. :(

Can you blame them when they see the NPD and PAL sales numbers when it comes to the "core" games?

This better not be true because Let It Die looks positively awful and Lily Bergamo's reveal, as little info as it had, was way more interesting.

I am LIVID. What the hell, man? Seriously, Let It Die looks like bullshit.

koutoru

I don't don't see how Yusuke Kozaki can contribute to this game's art direction the way he did in Lily Bergamo.

Seems like an incredible waste of talent.

Grimløck;115916588 said:
Lily%252520Bergamo%252520Gif%252520-%2525202.jpg

how the fuck did this cool game turn into some shitty beat em up death metal game?

I'm disappointed

Takao

Banned
I wonder if PS4's weak sales in Japan forced them to retool it into something they thought the west would want?

El Sloth

Banned
What a god damn shame if the translation is actually accurate.

Lily Bergamo, in those few seconds shown in that old teaser and it's concept art alone, looked far and away more interesting than what was shown during Sony conference for Let It Die.

Jomjom

Banned
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Let it die looks like the most generic shit ever.

So one of the few Japanese looking games now looks like a really crappy western game. The PS4 needs Japanese games!!!!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck...

I guess we needed a truly terrible news today to balance out all the incredible announcements...

I saw this right before going to sleep. Don't understand. Lily Bergamo better exist when I wake tomorrow. I don't what I'm reading. Lily was an awesome catchy title and had fantastic stylization. "Let it Die" sounds and looks like crap. It better not be a replacement for Lily Bergamo. Just a mean Suda joke. Bergamo is not canceled... no no no... ? :( Please. The consoles are in the Dust Bowl.

Now sleep.

I see zero similarity between these two titles, but what do I know.
I really sympathize with any fans who were looking forward to Lily.

What I find funny is the "well the game will suck anyway so who cares?" attitude.

Like turning the game into a bland shooter where you run around in your underwear and murder people as numbers pop up over their head is an improvement.

Even if Bergamo sucked it'd at least be visually interesting.

Japan...

stop dick riding the west and believe in your own strengths.

Make something YOU would want to play.

Bravely Default your shit!

PLEASE!

The West-washing has got to STAHP!

Koppai

Can you blame them when they see the NPD and PAL sales numbers when it comes to the "core" games?

I guess not but it isn't gonna make me run out and buy their games. :(

Guess I'll just have to stick to Nintendo systems for Japanese games.

Odrion

Banned
On one hand, Lily Bergamo probably would've been a bad game. Let's face it, Suda 51 can't really do action games.

Then again, Let it Die will probably be a bad game.

This Psycho serial killer (Suda) strikes again!
Well, who cares, realy! Not that I saw anything of substance from the Lily Bergamo thing. Except the art style was good...

Stark

Banned
I am furious over this. It was one of my most looked forward to games for PS4.

So much for "complete creative freedom" Gungho.

Shin

Banned
Ehh wtf?
No other sites running with this story?
I was looking forward to Lily Bergamo, hell even the name sounds a lot better to me than Let It Die.

Edit: I guess they are now looking at the post above me...petition time?

K' Dash

Just the artstyle had me sold on Lily Bergamo.

Let it die? I won't touch that with a 10ft pole, even less if Lily Bergamo was killed for it.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
The interview begins with a brief discussion about the genesis of Let It Die and how it arrived at its current form. As it turns out, Let It Die is essentially the same game as the previously revealed Lily Bergamo that was shown off last fall, retaining the original idea of what the team is calling an “extreme action game” coupled with asynchronous online gameplay while expanding on them with survival aspects.

While it remains uncertain as to whether character designer Yusuke Kozaki will continue to contribute work to the game in this new form, it was confirmed that protagonist Tae Ioroi is no more, as players are now set to just play the game using their own avatars. The transition to the game in its current form commenced around the end of last year as a result of the previously mentioned creative soul searching that Suda and company underwent.

Building off what I mentioned from my translated summary of the article before since it seems to be getting missed by the torrent of replies coming in, it's also worth noting that Suda and Morishita mentioned that this teaser was basically rushed for E3 because they didn't originally intend to show the game off until Sony had a little room for them at the conference. The game in its current form is basically six months or so old; I'd seriously hold off until there's more substantial information out there before making judgments one way or the other, but that's just how I'd approach something potentially controversial like this~

benzy

On one hand, Lily Bergamo probably would've been a bad game. Let's face it, Suda 51 can't really do action games.

Then again, Let it Die will probably be a bad game.

Killer is Dead isn't a bad game. The combat mechanics and visual style was pretty well done. Lily Bergamo looked like it could have been an evolution of that.

ae6j5o.gif

Building off what I mentioned from my translated summary of the article before since it seems to be getting missed by the torrent of replies coming in, it's also worth noting that Suda and Morishita mentioned that this teaser was basically rushed for E3 because they didn't originally intend to show the game off until Sony had a little room for them at the conference. The game in its current form is basically six months or so old; I'd seriously hold off until there's more substantial information out there before making judgments one way or the other, but that's just how I'd approach something potentially controversial like this~

If the art style is the same, then that's a little bit better, but I don't like the idea of having an avatar over a character. Sounds like it could have had an actual story, and for better or worse, Grasshopper/Suda stories are pretty entertaining.

Kssio_Aug

What the fuck, Suda? Why would you cancel an actually interesting game for something generic and pointless like Let It Die? A F2P brawler, really? Fuck that noise.

Whaaatt? Free to Play?? I didnt know that!
Well, I have no hope on this game anymore! What a horrible choice!!

Apathy

Japan...

stop dick riding the west and believe in your own strengths.

Make something YOU would want to play.

Bravely Default your shit!

PLEASE!

The West-washing has got to STAHP!

So true, this is a page right out of the SquareEnix how to fuck yourself playbook. It's funny so many Japanese developers look at us in the West through some lens they concoct about what we want (it's got to be dark, lots of blood, and a lot of brown, that is what they like in the west). Play to your strengths, the fan base is there for it. BD proved it, the Souls series prove it.

Killah

I am so damn bitter right now. Damnit, why?

Can't believe they changed the concept from something interesting to this shit it turned into.

Top Bottom