• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lily Bergamo was turned into Let It Die

KeRaSh

Lily Bergamo >>>> Let it Die

ffs Suda

I'm in the same boat. I actually thought that would be the outcome when I saw the (imo) shitty Let it Die footage during the Sony conference...
Well, they went from one really interesting looking trailer to something I immediately knew I was not going to buy because the concept did not appeal to me in the slightest.

zeopower6

Hm, looking at the interview/translation again, it sounds like this concept was going to be what Lily Bergamo was going to end up like anyway (f2p, extreme action game)... but the art style is just so bland now that I don't think anyone who was interested in it before really cares all that much anymore.

Amagon

S3IKejV.jpg

Suda!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I could think watching the conference was how a Suda game called Let It Die is undoubtedly the most perfect alignment in the history of the universe

orochi91

Man, Japanese devs have seriously gone to shit these past 6 years.

I'm grateful for having lived through some of their Golden Age.

They will never be as good as they once were.

Instead they will forever shun their cultural influences/strengths in
hopes of chasing that elusive western market.

Kssio_Aug

Hm, looking at the interview/translation again, it sounds like this concept was going to be what Lily Bergamo was going to end up like anyway (f2p, extreme action game)... but the art style is just so bland now that I don't think anyone who was interested in it before really cares all that much anymore.

Well, Lily Bergamo would be more interesting anyway! That art style and that "evangelion" machine were looking interesting, it could be a blast! But that new one is so artistically poor that will barely interest me even if it end up looking like will have a decent gameplay... specially now that I know its free to play.

Pooya

from Kozaki's designs to this generic trash? smh.

I figured when a while back Kozaki removed all references to Bergamo from his profile :(

Namikaze

So disappointing, I was really looking forward to Lilly Bergamo.

I think it would have gotten a lot more attention for its unique character designs and colorful world Vs. Let it die, which blends in with any gritty western action title.

Paracelsus

I've noticed one thing:

Sony doesn't have one single total retail exclusive for PS4 with colors, whatever that means: it's all realistic or dark realistic. I seriously hope it's a coincidence.

Xenoblade Chronicles X will make it all worth while

Believe

TnK

You know, nintendo is still living the golden age and all. If you want some of that nice old school japanese video game fun, look no further than a wii u. Most fun console I had since the ps2 era.

Namikaze

I've noticed one thing:

Sony doesn't have one single total retail exclusive for PS4 with colors, whatever that means: it's all realistic or dark realistic. I seriously hope it's a coincidence.

Knack doesn't count? :( LOL

But I see your point. Looks like this won't be changing till 2015 with Ratchet maybe.

zeopower6

I've noticed one thing:

Actually, I think there is one but it's that kind of underwhelming Compile Heart game, lol. Maybe iDOLM@STER too when they announce more info about it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is an absolute bullshit decision and whoever was involved should feel ashamed. You have brought shame to your studio.

Pennywise

Isn't that the way most Suda51 games work? Suda collaborates with the director on a general idea at first and then let's them make the game

Yeah, but almost every game he directed himself was pretty good, the rest was either mediocore or not that good.

Knack doesn't count? :( LOL

But I see your point. Looks like this won't be changing till 2015 with Ratchet maybe.

That gritty Little Big Planet 3 :p

Apathy

I've noticed one thing:

We just saw LBP yesterday, that has colour up the butt and is not realistic.

Suda concludes the interview by saying that Let It Die is set to be a huge departure from his past work in terms of creative philosophy. Indeed, he says it lacks many of his major trademarks, including a major overarching plotline, a chapter-based progression structure, and in-game maps, among other things.

Looks like it lacks style too, which I'm pretty sure is 90 percent of the reason anyone plays a game his name is attached to anyway

Really mindboggling that he and his team did a bunch of soul-searching and this is the result. Makes you wonder what exactly they found.

orochi91

Xenoblade Chronicles X will make it all worth while

Believe

You know, nintendo is still living the golden age and all. If you want some of that nice old school japanese video game fun, look no further than a wii u. Most fun console I had since the ps2 era.

You both are correct.

I will be picking up a Wii U sometime next year. Nintendo keeps to their strengths
as predominately Japanese developers and they should be rewarded for that.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the finest JRPG to come out in the past decade, so I look
forward to XCX.

Replicant

On one hand, Lily Bergamo probably would've been a bad game. Let's face it, Suda 51 can't really do action games.

Then again, Let it Die will probably be a bad game.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that I haven't really liked any of his previous games. They're just a bit weird for me.

Orayn

So true, this is a page right out of the SquareEnix how to fuck yourself playbook. It's funny so many Japanese developers look at us in the West through some lens they concoct about what we want (it's got to be dark, lots of blood, and a lot of brown, that is what they like in the west). Play to your strengths, the fan base is there for it. BD proved it, the Souls series prove it.

As an aside, the Souls series is a reflection of what Miyazaki himself likes, and a fairly direct continuation of what they were doing with King's Field. Demon's Souls, a game which features ONLY English voice acting because FROM wanted to reinforce the game's European feel, wasn't even considered for a Western release until they noticed that import sales of the Asian release were fairly strong.

If some silly person considers that pandering to the West, it's pretty much the worst job of it you could possibly do.

Shin

Banned
Seems like a handful of gamers all over the net prefer or would have Lily than LID.
If only people would unite and let their voices be heard who knows what might happen.
LID doesn't look like it's much further in development compared to what they had initially shown as Lily.

Top Bottom