• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

4Tran

But fable legends fit right in their current vision. A cross play Windows 10/Xbox one, game as service type of thing, pushing direct X 12 too.
It will get the MAU MS wanted.

Something is wrong here, need more inside info.
It's less that the Fable game doesn't fit with what Microsoft wants, and it's more that Lionhead doesn't fit. If it was just the game, Microsoft wouldn't have canned the whole studio.

Luckydog

If that's the case then retool the game into being a single player only game and get it out there.

They had been developing the game since 2012. It's bat shit insane to just cancel it like this when its so close to completion. Unpresidented in fact.

I'm convinced there is more to this story but we might not find out what really went on for a while.

I don't think it's unprecedented. Didn't EA, as recently as a few years ago actually press the disks for NBA Live and have review copies out and then canceling?

You're turning something that isn't console wars into console wars.

Sign an exclusive contract? You think Iron Galaxy and Remedy right now aren't allowed to make something else while working on Killer Instinct and Quantum Break?

Come on dude, don't be so naive.

Its not console wars. I'm analyzing the state of the industry and how it will effect software and how MS is structuring their 1st party based on that.

Sales talk is my number 1 priority on this Forum and what likely over 70% of what my posts are about

Honestly, Fable was always a pretty bad series.

That may just be me, but I never quite figured out, what the developers were really going for.

They felt like shallow action adventures with some light RPG elements, that tried their hands at a bit of Zelda too.

Weird games. 2 was decent almost a decade ago .

This. It's a long game and they don't have a clue how to play it.

People give Sony shit for providing funding for sequels to games like Knack but they understand that you need to build on new IP's and give things a second chance in order to be successful. Not every game you make will be a hit, but if the developers have a desire to continue on and build on the franchise you should give them a chance to do so. Half the battle is already won since they are no longer creating something from scratch and it just comes down to the developers taking the critisim on the chin and learning from their mistakes. Killzone --> Killzone 2 is a prime example of this.

And the sad part is I'm pretty sure every MS game I listed scored FAR better in reviews than KillZone OR Knack ever did or ever could have...and yet somehow where Sony's IPs get multiple chances, MS 8.0-9.5 scoring games were deemed unworthy for a sequel. Those MS games weren't just liked; they were LOVED. If Sony owned those IPs they'd be 3 or 4 versions in by now. It's really just sort of depressing, what could have been.

Elfstruck

I argue that neither Sony nor Microsoft first party is all that appealing anymore. Sony hasn't been that great of a first party publisher this generation, and the PS4 has pretty much survived up to this point on third party exclusives and multiplatform releases. Microsoft first party support, although not great, has been recognized as outperforming Sony's output thus far this gen.

The thing you seem to forgot is that the core of Sony's first party studios haven't release their games yet. Santa Monica, ND,,,,

shoreu

lay it on us.

I guess so.

It's not like you have a lot to lose if you break it anyways. The only thing they can do is to ban you from the beta.

I was going to write this long post on everything good and bad about the game but fuck it there's no point.

I think funding was an issue with FL it was really good but I don't think they had the money to complete the project

If you have any questions I'll answer them though.

EvB

I'm genuinely surprised they still make fable games and the studio has had the luxury of making so many. I don't recall them being big sellers or critically acclaimed in any way.

Fable sold about 3million on OG Xbox
Fable 2 sold 3.5 at the last recorded date (2010)
Fable 3 sold more than Fable 2

That's a succesful exclusive game franchise

microsoft is a big enough company that they shouldn't have to choose. sony manages to have relationships with third parties without sacrificing all of their in-house development in the process and they make a lot less money than MS.

I wouldn't say they're choosing one over the other. More like relegating riskier ventures to third party and fostering less risky ventures in house.

Honestly, Fable was always a pretty bad series.

That may just be me, but I never quite figured out, what the developers were really going for.

It felt like a shallow Action Adventure with some light RPG elements, that tried it's hands at a bit of Zelda too.

Weird games. 2 was decent almost a decade ago .

If you ignored the BS hype from Molyneux the Fable series were decent action RPG with some witty British humor. The side games like Heroes and The Journey were horrible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That can be an interesting strategy for Microsoft. Spending money on third-party exclusivity has to be cheaper than owning studios. It can be a dick move when it comes to games like Tomb Raider but it still gives MS exclusives they need.

Its not console wars. I'm analyzing the state of the industry and how it will effect software and how MS is structuring their 1st party based on that.

Sales talk is my number 1 priority on this Forum and what likely over 70% of what my posts are about

You both seem to be confused.

People in here are talking about 3rd party studios making 1st party games. Games that are IP owned by Microsoft. You two seem to be referring to 3rd party money hat deals like Street Fighter V and Tomb Raider. Microsoft won't be doing anymore of those, or at least that's the indication they give.

They'll keep a handful of internal studios for their tent pole franchises (of which there are now only 3 or 4 if you count Motorsport and Horizon as separate games) and then contract out their new IPs and smaller franchises like ReCore, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Killer Insitinct and most likely Battletoads.

Harsh. I really enjoyed Fable (even 3), but it should've been clear much earlier that Legends was a game that missed what most fans wanted, and crucially also didn't have enough appeal to non-fans; it was an odd decision to greenlight that game.

It's hard to know which IPs will continue to hold enough appeal to be profitable, so perhaps it's just becoming more economically sound to purchase exclusivity rather than soak up the expenses amid the pitfalls of trying to forecast what'll remain relevant from the in-house licences.

It's sad, but I have more faith in MS (and others) picking up decent looking franchises than steering studios under them to make their own from what should be already strong IP. Fable should've been viable as a continuing series, and I don't buy that Wipeout was of no interest to gamers beyond the PS1 era either.

Aklamarth

I never understood how a studio like Press Play existed honestly. Located in one of the most expensive places in Europe and only released 1 good/sellable game in 5-6 years.

Do you see any scenario in which Rare's f2p game fits in with Microsoft when all this other stuff didn't?

Sea of Thieves isnt confirmed to be F2P. I know they had job listings about alternate business models, but if they are trying to make a Destiny-like with pirates I dont think its a guarantee they go F2P

Sydle

Do you see any scenario in which Rare's f2p game fits in with Microsoft when all this other stuff didn't?

If it attracts a lot of MAU's then I suspect they'd keep it around.

EDIT: Steverulez is right, the financial model has not been announced.

You both seem to be confused.

People in here are talking about 3rd party studios making 1st party games. Games that are IP owned by Microsoft. You two seem to be referring to 3rd party money hat deals like Street Fighter V and Tomb Raider. Microsoft won't be doing anymore of those, or at least that's the indication they give.

They'll keep a handful of internal studios for their tent pole franchises (of which there are now only 3 or 4 if you count Motorsport and Horizon as separate games) and then contract out their new IPs and smaller franchises like ReCore, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Killer Insitinct and most likely Battletoads.
Microsoft takes the Capcom route. That too could be interesting. I asked earlier if Fable could be rebooted by another studio. I guess it could happen just like Ninja Theory rebooting DMC.

This. It's a long game and they don't have a clue how to play it.

People give Sony shit for providing funding for sequels to games like Knack but they understand that you need to build on new IP's and give things a second chance in order to be successful. Not every game you make will be a hit, but if the developers have a desire to continue on and build on the franchise you should give them a chance to do so. Half the battle is already won since they are no longer creating something from scratch and it just comes down to the developers taking the critisim on the chin and learning from their mistakes. Killzone --> Killzone 2 is a prime example of this.

Oh man thanks for confirming sequels to tearaway. The order 1886, until dawn. Beyond two souls, folklore.

Knack is getting a sequel shearly down to who made it and what it sold off bundles. I do see potential in Knack 2 tho lol

Seriously tho, you make some hits and you make some flops. No one can wave a magic wand and guarantee a good game. Did rare want to make another perfect dark? Who knows. I feel like it's being painted that Sony is the white knight if game development and ms is some failure fumbling and only relying on sequels yet the biggest hyped games for the ps4 since launch was the third infamous game and the fourth uncharted. What a strange world we live in

Ps I don't even know how we got here lol

Microsoft takes the Capcom route. That too could be interesting. I asked earlier if Fable could be rebooted by another studio. I guess it could happen just like Ninja Theory rebooting DMC.
It could happen but considering the types of Fable games that have been happening lately do you see MS ever touching the IP again?

mcrommert

Banned
I never understood how a studio like Press Play existed honestly. Located in one of the most expensive places in Europe and only released 1 good/sellable game in 5-6 years.

Yep...they should have always been independent...looks like spencer is reversing microsoft's studio buy up

Figments

Sea of Thieves is F2P?

Didn't Kinect Sports Rivals do badly? Sea of Thieves is probably their last shot

Has Sea of Thieves even been /confirmed/ to be free-to-play?

Yep...they should have always been independent...looks like spencer is reversing microsoft's studio buy up

Except the studio would've died much earlier on had Microsoft not purchased them. Hasn't this been stated before?

GHG

I agree that Microsoft has never put full support into acquiring or retaining first party games. They invested in 3 or 4 franchises and then recycle those again and again. However that was never an issue during the 360 days because they at least were the better console when it came to third party support. Look at Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls or Fallout for examples. But with the PS4 being the go to console for third party experiences, and Microsoft having pitiful first party titles to show, it begs the question "What does the Xbox offer?".

The problem with the games you mentioned is that they're niche titles at best, with Conker and Banjoo standing out among the rest by just a little. But with those titles being 3d platformers that have an art style that some may see as "kid friendly" will it really sell to the masses?

Look how hard it was for the Ratchet and Clank series to take off on PS3. Great games but they became smaller and smaller as the years went on because the audience wasn't there to support it. Look at the new Sly Cooper for PS3. That thing dropped so quickly in price, again because the audience doesn't seem to support it.

The truth is, Fable Legends looked bad. Which means it probably would have sold poorly. At some point you have to cut your loses. Who knows how that game played and how much work was still needed to make it something that would make back it's initial investment.

Those games are only niche because they allow them to be niche. They haven't built on the franchises like they should have. Perfect Dark is what I'd describe as a high potential franchise, but they allowed it to flounder despite it being a good fit for the current era and the Xbox audience in general. If they had built on those franchises they would have added breadth an depth to what s currently a very narrow first party lineup. No, none of those individual titles is going to sell like halo, but not every game needs to sell like Halo. It should be about attempting to curate a first party lineup that has something for everyone. Historically Sony has done this very well and have proven that people will buy consoles because of a diverse lineup that includes multiple "niche" titles.

Oh and for what it's worth, kid friendly games sell very very well if marketed correctly. You couldn't be more wrong there.

Top Bottom