• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles Sheriff Sgt killed, suspect captured alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awful. :( RIP to the officer and condolences to the family.

That said, you didn't need to honor his memory using that hashtag. Even with the best of intentions, it's going to derail the thread.

egruntz

shelaughz
Or you guys can choose to not make a big issue of OP saying that this death is as sad as any other.

Jesus Christ. He's not devaluing the BLM movement.

RIP.

SexyFish

Banned
All lives matter.

raw

RIP Sheriff, but fuck off with the idiotic agenda.

It's sad that he died. At least he was able to choose to be a cop and accepted the risks.

Or you guys can choose to not make a big issue of OP saying that this death is as sad as any other.

RIP.
Then what's OP's point? Obviously all lives matter. There's no reason to even say that unless you're making a point.

RIP.

the "all lives matter" bullshit exists SPECIFICALLY to devalue the BLM movement. OP knew exactly what he was doing. Fuck him.

marrec

Banned

RIP.

Like, why else you going to lead a thread about a cop dying (which, it should be noted, policing is a dangerous job) with "All Live Matter" unless you're doing it with "Black Lives Matter" in your head?

The only reason "All Lives Matter" is a thing is as a shitty response to Black Lives Matter, as if the idea of Black Lives Matter needs a response.

Beach

Was following the story on twitter via local news. If you read the article the story has everything from tazers, GTA and hostages

R.I.P. to the fallen officer and best wishes to his family

Erekiddo

This is about 20 minutes away from me and I just moved into this area a little more than a month ago. Extremely sad and unsettling.

AYF 001

RIP.

Or you can see 80% of the linked site's comments directly blaming BLM (and every Democrat ever) for the officer's unfortunate death.

egruntz

shelaughz
Like, why else you going to lead a thread about a cop dying (which, it should be noted, policing is a dangerous job) with "All Live Matter" unless you're doing it with "Black Lives Matter" in your head?

The only reason "All Lives Matter" is a thing is as a shitty response to Black Lives Matter, as if the idea of Black Lives Matter needs a response.

Maybe because recently there's been a reaction of joy or apathy to police deaths? And the OP is saying right up front that this death isn't justified just because of his occupation?

Even in GAF — actually, especially on GAF — there is now a near hatred for policeman. This is an earned hatred in light of recent history and events in the USA particularly, but it's still a hatred nonetheless that is as damaging and unwanted as any other.

I didn't get the sense that OP said, "Hey, this policeman died. Fuck black people, am I right?"

Instead: "Policeman died. Tragic as any other death."

If you choose to look at it differently and get worked up instantly over nothing, that's...well, your issue, I suppose.

Futureman

This part is pretty crazy...

Jamie Forsher, 35, was standing in the sunroom of her parents’ Lancaster home when she saw a man jump over a fence into their backyard. Forsher knew about the manhunt — deputies had searched the house earlier in the day, and her family was watching the news unfold on television in another room.

The man ran toward the back door. So did Forsher.

“I slammed it and locked it and told everybody to get on the ground,” she said. “God forbid he starts shooting and tries to get in here.”

Forsher said deputies had swarmed the neighborhood and “got him within a matter of seconds.” Television footage showed the man sprawled next to the family’s backyard pool as he surrendered.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I didn't get the sense that OP said, "Hey, this policeman died. Fuck black people, am I right?"

If you choose to look at it differently and get worked up instantly over nothing, that's...well, your issue, I suppose.

No one is choosing anything, everyone is saying that he used a phrase that only sprung up to devalue BLM, everyone is seeing what is written in the OP and nothing more.

Don't want people to think you're devaluing BLM? Don't use a phrase that does exactly that.

Badgerst3

I don't want to be incendiary. I really don't.

It just seems we are at a tipping point in police/community relations. Not sure if it will get worse before it gets better, and there have absolutely been incidents of unjustified shootings, but things seem so deeply divided and in some ways- hypocritical.

Overall this is one of many very sad incidents.

OR. OR. OP is pushing his dumb fucking agenda. He could just say exactly what you did... But he phrased it "all lives matter". Read above why you are the only person not understanding this

Maybe because recently there's been a reaction of joy or apathy to police deaths? And the OP is saying right up front that this death isn't justified just because of his occupation?

Even in GAF — actually, especially on GAF — there is now a near hatred for policeman. This is an earned hatred in light of recent history and events in the USA particularly, but it's still a hatred nonetheless that is as damaging and unwanted as any other.

All lives matter does mean "fuck black people". What else would it mean? Does OP live in a cave and have no idea what that combination of words would be interpreted as?

There is a valid and visible hatred for unnecessary deaths followed by no accountability for the killers. That's far from "reaction of joy to police deaths". You're massively reaching here.

It's not what we "choose" to think, it's what ALM actually IS. You're the one choosing to pretend it means something other than what it actually means.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I don't think it's hey fuck black people I think it's more of a hey look black people shoot white too people and that fact that the cop was white I assume

There is no way to response to this post full of putrid milky bullshit than to just say fuck off. You have no idea what you are talking about, and unless you want to educate yourself in to the purpose of things like BLM or "All Lives Matter" you are free to wallow in your ignorance.

It just seems we are at a tipping point in police/community relations. Not sure if it will get worse before it gets better, and there have absolutely been incidents of unjustified shootings, but things seem so deeply divided and in some ways- hypocritical.

We are at that tipping point because police officers (which, judging by your post history, you are) all to often (and all too unchecked) act like entitled, tone deaf assholes. You know exactly how incendiary what you said was, which is why you said it. Get fucked, bro.

Sushi Nao

Do you, uh, think saying all lives matter helps with that?

Can we get a thread reboot or something? Is that a thing that can happen? I don't think I have ever seen a thread derailed in its own first post and it's pretty obvious that the thread will now not be about the cop's death (RIP) but instead a BLM/ALM argument. Not trying to backseat mod or anything I'm just flabbergasted and his death should get a proper thread without such a massive topic derailment.

Seesaw15

What are you talking about OP?

bchamba

Nobody wants to see cops or anybody else die. The guy who committed this murder is going to go to jail for the rest of his life like he should. People only want to see the same happen when cops unjustly kill people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom