• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I don't need Reminders since I have the infinitely better Things
I don't need Notes since I have the infinitely better Evernote
(and both sync with iOS already)

I mean I'll upgrade, but y'know, it's like if I ever wanted those things I could just buy an iPhone. I don't need doubles of them, except maybe for Notification Center.

I'm all for simplifying UI and doing smart action shortcuts, but they're kinda going the wrong way about the iOS and OS X merging.

That's cool but system level integration is always better, at least in my book. Makes it also more likely for me to use such things.

LCfiner

Are you shitting me? I just bought Lion in January...

On the bright side, at least you can now look forward to getting a new upgrade every year. they've revealed their intentions.

maybe you can skip 10.8 and grab 10.9? you know it's only a year and a half away, at this point

upandaway

That's cool but system level integration is always better, at least in my book. Makes it also more likely for me to use such things.
If the native apps will be good enough for you go ahead man, it's the better option (fact). But I couldn't use them, especially not Notes, due to how barebones they are.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel very conflicted about getting a tablet now. Way to throw off my plans, Apple. >:[

celebi23

Holy shit! This was completely out of nowhere! Man, I just updated my main partition to Lion (didn't want to get rid of Rosetta :/ ) :/ Ah well, time to partition my hd again :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It does make me wonder if it's worth putting in a fast SSD drive in my macbook pro and do a complete fresh install from scratch. I'm tempted.

Sean

Banned
I'm very excited for this. Have been wanting Apple to do Growl-style notifications for like eight years.

Yearly updates sound great to me. With the Summer release it seems like Apple is trying to get iOS and Mac OS X on roughly the same update schedule, which is a good thing. I would not be surprised to see new iOS6 features come to Mountain Lion as well.

123rl

So would Airplay mirroring mean I could play a video (through VLC or MplayerX) and stream it to my Apple TV?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Can some of you guys that are opposed to iOS/OSX merging explain why you're against it? I personally love some of the small features of iOS and would like some ported over to my MacBook.

Pre-2005, I was a desktop-only guy.

Late 2005, I decided I could really use a little portability, so I picked up a MacBook Pro.

By mid-2007, I was sold on the promise of the iPhone, and I picked one up.

Come early 2010, I wasn't sold on the promise of the iPad, but I had a nice bonus to play with, so I ordered one for delivery on release day with the intention to test drive it for a few weeks before returning it. I never returned it.

With the introduction of each device into my life, my usage patterns have shifted accordingly. To be honest, I could do 99% of what I do now with all these devices with just a desktop or laptop, and a smartphone. As it stands though, my use cases break down roughly as follows:

• Desktop - Home theater & gaming
  • Laptop - Portable productivity workstation
  • Tablet - Portable media consumption
  • Smartphone - Ubiquitous portable internet

Basically, the one thing I always have on me, and always have access to is my smartphone (currently a Galaxy Nexus). It's not the ideal solution for all of my computing needs, but nothing beats the portability, and it is easily functional enough in the grand majority of use cases.

The tablet is used around the house and around the office as a better device for reading and productivity than my smartphone could ever be. At home, if I want to browse the internet, watch Netflix while I'm doing laundry, or pull up a recipe to follow while I'm in the kitchen, I use the tablet. At work, if I'm in the field and I need to pull up documentation, or if I'm at a meeting and I need to take short notes, I use the iPad.

The desktop has taken the biggest use case hit over the years for me, but still nothing beats XBMC and Steam when I'm sitting on my comfy couch or laying in my comfy bed.

Finally, we get to the laptop. Currently, my MacBook Air. Notice how every other device can be used for a great many things, but mostly, they are all geared toward media consumption or information access. The laptop is my productivity machine. When I want to get a lot of work done in the most efficient way possible, I use the laptop.

When I'm working, I'm generally doing heavy multitasking between different applications. I can't remember the last time I ever wanted to run any application in full screen mode. Documents, spreadsheets, visual IDEs for coding, and even my browser windows are never in full-screen. Popping in and out of full-screen applications constantly a la iOS is a lot more distracting and cumbersome than being able to look at all the things I am working on/with at a glance.

This is already far too long, so I'll just do one more quick example. I'm a keyboard shortcut guy. If I can minimize the need to move my hands away from the keyboard in some way, I'll likely train myself to do it. When I first got my MacBook, I found Quicksilver and never went back. I haven't clicked to open an application in years on my laptop, because there's never been a need other than hitting my hotkey combination and typing 2-3 letters and hitting enter to open any of the dozens of applications I have installed. Having all my apps in a tray that I can pull up and then mouse over and click on is comparatively slower and less productive for me.

Now, as it stands with Lion, and as it seems to be with what little we know of Mountain Lion at this point, I can still do everything I want, the way I want. And that's great. I'd love it if my preferences were defaults, but I acknowledge that I'm the minority power user here. As long as I am not forced to work in the full-screen model and click/touch my way around a UI, I'll probably be fine.

On the other hand, I've always been a big ZFS cheerleader, and that doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon, so the file system obfuscation is the closest we'll get and that's fine by me. As long as everything is indexed & searchable through Spotlight or some variant, I'll be happy.

Okay I've got Messages set up now and can chat with my iPhone friends but still not seeing any of my iChat buddies. The list is empty, but the account is set up. What gives?

nm fixed it :)

Vire

For Messages - Is there a way to set favorites? It's annoying having to type in their name every time.

Also, you can't send out a FaceTime call without sending a message first? Ummm?

C'mon Apple.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this means Aim support will come to ios.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Can we upgrade from snow leopard -> Mountain Lion?
Or do we have to do snow leopard -> Lion -> Mountain Lion?

IIRC, to upgrade to Lion you had to upgrade to Snow Leopard first. I'd imagine there will be a similar upgrade path to Mountain Lion.

Sullichin

So.. with facetime being 1 on 1 video chat only and Messages replacing iChat.. is there no way to do group video chat? Does Messages have it?

IIRC, to upgrade to Lion you had to upgrade to Snow Leopard first. I'd imagine there will be a similar upgrade path to Mountain Lion.
Nah I would assume you'll buy Mountain Lion from the App Store on Snow Leopard & upgrade directly to it, no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

Edit: I think I misread your post

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I might just get an AppleTV with this update.

giga

You know what's great about Airplay mirroring? All those Hulu "Web Only" shows will now be on my television. Just don't tell Hulu this.
tim-cook.jpg

Sean

Banned
It's stupid that Stickies still exists as a standalone app in Mountain Lion. What purpose does it serve now that Notes is on there, with iCloud syncing and all?

Hoping they remove it since they've done a great job at cleaning up cruft besides this.

First reaction: Holy shit, didn't expect this. Can't wait.

Second reaction: Niiiiice, notifications. RIP Growl.

Third reaction: Awww, shit, now I'm going to have to support three different OS for my Mac apps.

RBH

If there aren't going to be any content restrictions for AirPlay (like there is on the iPhone), then that alone is worth the price of this update for me.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So, is iMessage with ML going to be like Mail currently is? When I receive an email I get a notice on my iPhone and MBP. I'm assuming I'll get a notice on both my iPhone and MBP now, yes?

Cheebo

Banned
Fuck...am I the only one conflicted about getting a iPad 3 now? I might just wait for the next refresh of the Airs instead.

:(

Ambitious

Well. Don't need any of the new features except Notes.app. And possibly Notification Center, if it proves to be better than Growl in daily usage.

I hope they actually listened to the complaints and revised (or what I would prefer: removed) AutoSave and Resume. But I'm sure they haven't.

Arcteryx

Damnit!

What exactly are you waiting for? What would make you actually upgrade? Lion was substantial to me, I can't imagine going back, and this looks like it'll be the same.

I find it almost hard to believe that you have an iPhone and an iPad and cannot appreciate the reminders, notes, game center, messages and general cloud syncing that this offers.

It enriches the ecosystem in a way that, if you're part of the ecosystem (which you are) then you are the one who benefits.

I don't see it as adding features just for the sake of it; they offer tangible solutions to things people want to do on their Macs.

The only things that would make me upgrade would be things SPECIFICALLY designed around OSX (aka non-i device stuff). Like you said, if I wanted to use those features, I would just use my iPad/iPhone. I already have those. I don't need duplication of that software on my Mac as well.

Notes is about the ONLY improvement I see out of that bunch (but then again, I already have software thats specifically designed for recipes, about the only thing I could see myself using the new notes for).

The others:
-game center (I already have a PS3 and a PC, not to mention iPad/iPhone for gaming). I have absolutely NO use for an app that merely does what Yahoo games did YEARS ago.
-reminders (already have this taken care of)
-messaging (if I want to message/talk to someone I'll use my iPhone, I haven't touched "IM" in a non-business setting in years)
-cloud (meh)

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather see OSX updates be....OSX centric updates.

X-Frame

So 2 years from now people will still need to first upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to 10.10 or whatever?

Sort of sucks as I want to get Mountain Lion for my brothers but they're still on Leopard.

giga

So 2 years from now people will still need to first upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to 10.10 or whatever?

Sort of sucks as I want to get Mountain Lion for my brothers but they're still on Leopard.
They'll need whichever OS has the Mac App Store.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The full resolution wallpaper for Mountain Lion is 3200 x 2000...has that always been the case or is that a dramatic increase? I'd assume they'd support up to the max res of the biggest iMac which is 2560 x 1440.

Tuck

Massive delay in Messages unfortunately. Hopefully that improves by the time of release, cause its handy when it works.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wait so will messages being sent to my phone number not show up in imessage even if the account is linked?

I have the receive at my email setup too. Nothing showing up on the desktop.

edit: nvm. Once i sent them a message from my desktop everything worked.Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom