• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

They can't charge $29 a year, though. Look at the people in this thread complaining about having just purchased Lion. It's the yearly part that makes me think they're going free.

Why not? It seems reasonable to me and a relatively safe price point.

Vire

You can access your iCloud files on Windows. Just go to iCloud.com

How does the new iCloud functionality work exactly? Is there a video of it anywhere yet?

Is it like Dropbox where you have a folder and then anything in that folder is added to the cloud?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can access your iCloud files on Windows. Just go to iCloud.com

Going to a DropBox folder is far far easier.

So Growl and Things are now built in.

Not a big fan on the coloured title bars. I like consistency. Has Lion theming progressed yet since this seems to be more of an expansion pack so should be just as easy to theme?

Cheebo

Banned
I'm guessing it will happen, but not before iPads start slowing down in sales.

If iBooks is a huge selling point of the iPad for some people, than putting it out on other devices decreases demand on the new hotness.

Apple wants to own the tablet market as hard as it can while the competition scrambles to release ANYTHING that competes.

Except it is just pushing Mac users to Kindle since they can read kindle books on all Apple devices, not just iOS. Especially now with the Air, a device small and light enough thats its nice to read books on.

Tobor

Why not? It seems reasonable to me and a relatively safe price point.

Just my opinion. I might be wrong, but announcing that the updates are now yearly makes me think they're shaking up the pricing structure as well. They charged for yearly iOS updates on the iPod Touch originally, and it didn't go over well.

giga

screen-shot-2012-02-16-at-1-10-40-pm.png

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/16/apples-new-documents-and-data-manual-uploadersync-to-icloud/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Except it is just pushing Mac users to Kindle since they can read kindle books on all Apple devices, not just iOS. Especially now with the Air, a device small and light enough thats its nice to read books on.

Is there any data to suggest that that's a real thing that's happening, though?

Lion was a huge disappointment for me. A ton of bugs and it made my late 2009/early 2010 iMac run about 20% slower than it did on snow leopard. Snow leopard is the best Mac OS ever made. I will upgrade to mountain lion because I'm a sucker but it'd be nice if it's $10 or less.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I installed Messages earlier and it is nice to finally have it on Mac OS X.

I love this new annually release cycle. Apple will leave everyone in the dust with this.

Are you up to date? There were a couple of firmware upgrades. Then again my MacBook Pro is trouble free.

Yeah. I've got all the updates. Apparently it's a common problem.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cross platform cloud storage of browser tabs? Does anyone else do that? Did anyone else even think of that?

I mean, because that's pushing us towards the "uber-cloud" vision right there where you literally stop working on one device and pick up where you left off on another.

This whole announcement feels very un-Jobs like, especially the fact that they're dedicated to yearly releases now. It's like they have a bit more breathing space to do stuff now.

Anyway, now that I'm on my computer, rather than my phone, I can give my take on something:

It's "OS X" now. Not "Mac OS X". The operating system is no longer "Mac", just the actual computer.

Now, there's a certain way to take this.

By taking "Mac" out of the OS name it opens up the possibilities of... licensing. A far-fetched idea, but not impossible. Remember, the licensing program was originally terminated because the clones were cutting into sales of Mac rather than growing the market share.

At this point, with clones, there's less of a chance of cutting into Apple's sales. There's a premium associated with Apple hardware, and people want it. Also, given Apple's capacity, I doubt they could greatly expand market share just by themselves. Especially in developing markets. It would also help getting into the enterprise world, partnering with a company with proven enterprise support.

Of course, if they did do this, I imagine it would be fairly exclusive in terms of partners, and all products would have to be strictly approved by Apple itself in terms of hardware, design, and even price.

giga

Cross platform cloud storage of browser tabs? Does anyone else do that? Did anyone else even think of that?

I mean, because that's pushing us towards the "uber-cloud" vision right there where you literally stop working on one device and pick up where you left off on another.
Chrome beta for Android.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's a different concept. Smartscreen is limited to browsers and is more about anti-phishing than sandboxing like gatekeeper. I like the middle ground setting, where developers can certify their accounts (which I suspect many will do), instead of going the Mac App Store route which requires you to actually go through the App Store process and abide by their terms, which is a lot more restrictive.

gatekeeper-settings-large-272307.jpg

http://www.macworld.com/article/165407/2012/02/hands_on_with_apples_new_os_x_mountain_lion.html
ah ok i see. yeah for someone that doesn't need the distribution platform that apple provides its a good way to guarantee to customers that you are a trusted source.

Looks sweet! Totally out of the blue as well! I like it that way, because then you don't have to hype yourself for stuff you won't get!

What does this mean for Windows 8, can we see it being pushed back from a expected fall release to incorporate some features to compete with this. I don't know much about Win 8, so pardon if I seem ignorant.
Windows 8 is basically done. The Consumer Preview comes out on the 29th. There will be no major changes after that, just a few bug fixes here and there.

Anyway, both Operating Systems are beginning to take notes from their mobile operating systems. Windows probably more than OSX in terms of UI. Looking at the major features listed on the verge it looks like Windows has similar features. It has sync support with your windows live ID similar to icloud (pictures, settings, metro apps etc..). Default calendar, chat applications and some kind of xbox live integration. I know it has some kind of notification system similar to windows phone where stuff shows up on the home screen, not sure how similar it is to iOS or OSXs notification center. The biggest change is a completly new UI and app model though. The biggest change to windows since...well windows. I'd say its the most important OS launch of Windows for Microsoft since 3.0 or whatever. If they can't gain traction in the tablet space, they are done as a leader in the OS industry.

Anyway, windows 7 and Lion seemed to be on par, the next versions seem to be as well. Good problem to have.

(sorry for the off topic stuff)

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to run the developer beta and use the iCloud features if your Apple ID isn't registered for the developer program. I'm honestly considering registering a $99 developer account just to get access to Notification Center >_>

Rockmelt on the Mac and iPhone.

Firefox Sync has done this for years.

Tunic

Wow! This definitely came out of nowhere. I thought we would be using OS X 10.7 for awhile and didn't expect any big updates coming our way. I like the look of the notifications and iMessages. The Reminders app was a nice addition to my iPad with the iOS5 update and I will be looking forward to using that in OS X 10.8. I am super excited! Especially since we got my fiance a MacBook Pro recently, we will have a lot of cool new features to help share communication between us.

Cheebo

Banned
Since this is coming out "late summer" I expect that is the release of the new Macs. They will want the new macs to ship with this.

Tunic

Just noticed the AirPlay Mirroring feature! That will be amazingly helpful for my setup! I use AirPlay Mirroring with my iPad frequently and it works very well!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a recent MacBook Air adopter, but this really just came out of nowhere didn't it? Does Apple usually announce OS updates in this fashion?

Anyway, I'm excited! I've been thinking about getting an Apple TV, but only being able to use AirPlay with my iPhone wouldn't have been the best. Now I can sit on the couch with my MacBook Air and launch things onto the TV (Apple TV box), right?

Will you be able to do other things on the MacBook while it's streaming to the Apple TV box?

Tobor

Exactly my thoughts. It's blowing my mind that there's folks thinking OSX releases should be free.

Jesus, I never said it should be free. I'm just speculating on what they might do.

EDIT: well, I did say they can't charge $29 a year, but what I mean is that I don't think they will.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
since the OS is only $30 and delivered yearly, i'm surprised they haven't introduced a subscription model. like pay for 3 years or something. I know we will eventually get to that model with cloud based operating systems though.

Well most people in this thread use Apple products so that isn't really helpful. Safari doing this is actually useful.

He asked whether anyone else has done this before, and I answered with a solution I've been using cross platform for years. And yes, this works on the iPhone by installing Firefox Home.

Utako

Banned
Notification Center is the only productivity feature. Meh. Weak update. The new Chinese support is good, though.

I don't care about iCloud; I use Google's cloud. Google provides a full array of superb web applications, which are infinitely superior for accessing cloud assets. I don't want to be limited to accessing my chat logs on an Apple device. Only people without actual needs would find this really appealing.

Boo-urns!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Fuuck. They sure know how to make videos that get me excited!

Set up reminders on your Mac and have them push to your phone? Awesome! I have a feeling I won't be using Siri quite as much anymore...

Synchronized notes? Awesome! I already use the notes app a lot on my iPhone, but it will be great to be able to check them on my Mac.

AirPlay mirroring looks awesome, but it's too bad that it doesn't look like you'll be able to mirror a specific app and do other things on your Mac in the background. It just mirrors whatever is on your desktop. Still cool!

Also, MacBook Air refresh confirmed for this summer? I was hoping it would come sooner, but I guess I can wait!

LCfiner

Fuuck. They sure know how to make videos that get me excited!

Set up reminders on your Mac and have them push to your phone? Awesome! I have a feeling I won't be using Siri quite as much anymore...

Synchronized notes? Awesome! I already use the notes app a lot on my iPhone, but it will be great to be able to check them on my Mac.

AirPlay mirroring looks awesome, but it's too bad that it doesn't look like you'll be able to mirror a specific app and do other things on your Mac in the background. It just mirrors whatever is on your desktop. Still cool!

Also, MacBook Air refresh confirmed for this summer? I was hoping it would come sooner, but I guess I can wait!

You can do this now, yknow.

Reminders and notes are currently built into iCal and mail and sync across iCloud already

Notification Center is the only productivity feature. Meh. Weak update. The new Chinese support is good, though.

I don't care about iCloud; I use Google's cloud. Google provides a full array of superb web applications, which are infinitely superior for accessing cloud assets. I don't want to be limited to accessing my chat logs on an Apple device. Only people without actual needs would find this really appealing.

Boo-urns!
0324_zzir.gif

Jasoco

Banned
Before I read this thread I'm posting my first impressions based on the OP and Apple's site.

Niiiiice.

I personally happen to like the iOS-like features in Lion and am glad Snow Lion.. er Mountain Lion is bringing iOS-like apps here too. I never liked having to open Mail to get my Notes. And To Do's will be great. And Messages will come in handy if they sync between all devices so I get them whether I'm on my Mac or at work with my phone. (When I get it) Notification Center? About time! Though I suspect it will clash with Growl and not all Growl apps will integrate NC at first like how some games on iOS STILL don't use Game Center instead opting for the Feint app.

Dev Preview today? Could it even be stable enough to use? I'll hold off for a while, but damn. I kind of like these yearly Mac OS updates as much as I love the iOS updates.

And if they're the price they should be...

Speaking of price. Has it been announced? Are we willing to bet whether it'll be FREE like iOS or $29 like Lion? Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Apple moved in a "All OS updates are free from now on" direction and made it easier for people to upgrade. Like say from Lion to Mountain Lion you boot into the Restore disk, an icon shows up in the list that says Upgrade, and then takes it from there all without needing to use the store.

mf.luder

It would be insane if this update was free. I was reading Daring Fireball's article and when Phil Schiller (I think) said something along the lines of "this is how we do things now" I got chills down my spine.

subrock

messages is slightly janky atm. application state isnt being saved so I can't see my conversations, and nothing is syncing to the phone, which if it wasnt intended to, really should do.

Jasoco

Banned
Looks like Spotlight has been pushed out of its spotlight in the right corner. Notification Center has taken its spot! I'd actually prefer the opposite but whatever. Fullscreen button takes that spot in fullscreen anyway and I just press Command+Space to get to it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom