• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

Ludist210

I hadn't even met my wife in 2006. We since met, dated, got engaged, married, and had a daughter...and FFXV STILL isn't out yet.

How long has this been in active development? If it flops, is Square Enix in trouble?

Eidan

It blows my mind that this game will miss the entire Obama presidency, when it was announced in the middle of Bush's second term. Fucking pathetic.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I was at 6th grade when it was announced. 12 years old, I think

Now, I'm 20 years old and I'm in my second year of university. Square-Enix is a fucking mess. What a damn shame.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wonder how much money has been sunk into Versus XIII so far.

On July 6, 2006 Monolithsoft Inc. released Xenosaga Episode III: also sprach zarathustra for the Playstation 2, published by Namco-Bandai Games. This would end up being their last non-Nintendo platform release and it also marks their last release as a third party developer because on May 1, 2007 they became a Nintendo first party development studio after Nintendo bought 80% of Namco Bandai Games' 96% stake in the company.

Today as of September 2014 they have become one of the most prominent Nintendo 1st party studios. They released what is widely considered the best JRPG game of last gen, and have managed to create a Smash Bros. roster worthy character. In addition they have provided development on many major Nintendo titles, such as animal crossing: new leaf, zelda: skyward sword, super smash bros. brawl, Pikmin 3, and zelda: a link between worlds. Currently they are working on one of the most anticipated JRPG title to be released next year: Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Its great

koutoru

Off the top of my head:

• Every Dead Space Game released
  • Every Mass Effect Game released
  • Every Uncharted game released
  • Every Assassins Creed game released
  • Every Gears of War game released
  • Literally, every single game Platinum has made

Man, 2006 seems like a long time ago.

I was raiding the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj in WoW, and the release of Naxxramas 40 was just 4 weeks away when FFXV was announced.

Damn, that was a long ass time ago.

It's not even how long it's taken. It's the fact that they just refuse to show the game or even talk about it. Not a screenshot. Not a piece of concept art. They just go dark for years at a time with a "Please be patient."

Fuck you Square.

duckroll

Remember guys, this thread isn't for talking -about- FFXV or it's development. It's just a springboard for talking about "goddamn all this shit happened since 2006".

You guys are so adorable thinking this is a long development time. Talk to me when this hits the years roll over to double digits.

The Duke Nukem Forever LIst

Some highlights:

• When Duke Nukem Forever was announced, the fastest processor available to consumers was a 233Mhz Pentium. Since its death the clock speed of consumer processors has increased over 16 times (32 times counting dual cores), and the fabrication process has decreased from 250nm to 45nm.
  • Steve Jobs was still running NeXT when Duke Nukem Forever was announced.
  • Adjusted for inflation, the average price of gas in the United States has doubled.

So is this the point where we accept that the ~Final Fantasy 15~ dramatic unveil was nothing more than a poor attempt at stalling a game that is so clearly broken beyond repair.

sublimit

Banned
I wonder how much money has been sunk into Versus XIII so far.

On July 6, 2006 Monolithsoft Inc. released Xenosaga Episode III: also sprach zarathustra for the Playstation 2, published by Namco-Bandai Games. This would end up being their last non-Nintendo platform release and it also marks their last release as a third party developer because on May 1, 2007 they became a Nintendo first party development studio after Nintendo bought 80% of Namco Bandai Games' 96% stake in the company.

Today as of September 2014 they have become one of the most prominent Nintendo 1st party studios. They released what is widely considered the best JRPG game of last gen, and have managed to create a Smash Bros. roster worthy character. In addition they have provided development on many major Nintendo titles, such as animal crossing: new leaf, zelda: skyward sword, super smash bros. brawl, Pikmin 3, and zelda: a link between worlds. Currently they are working on one of the most anticipated JRPG title to be released next year: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Nomura and company are a joke compared to Monolith Soft. Not even a hair from Takahashi's balls.

You guys are so adorable thinking this is a long development time. Talk to me when this hits the years roll over to double digits.

Some highlights:

• When Duke Nukem Forever was announced, the fastest processor available to consumers was a 233Mhz Pentium. Since its death the clock speed of consumer processors has increased over 16 times (32 times counting dual cores), and the fabrication process has decreased from 250nm to 45nm.
  • Adjusted for inflation, the average price of gas in the United States has doubled.

When Versus was announced, 3D Realms still existed and Gearbox was known as the Brothers in Arms studio.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
In 2006, Steam was widely hated. Today is the de-facto method for PC gaming distribution.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wonder how fair would the comparisons between Nomura and Matsuno be at this point. FFXII also had quite a stretched development time.

Vidpixel

Someone mentioned this before, but the marketing campaign for this game should just be a series of short memoirs from fans that have been waiting for this game since the beginning.

"I've graduated high school, college, landed the career I've always wanted, and started a beautiful family, and the thought of Final Fantasy XV has been with me throughout all these times deep in my heart."

Kazerei

Banned
Lego Star Wars was released in 2005 and spawned an enormously successful series. Since Versus was announced:

Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Lego Batman: The Videogame
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
Lego Rock Band
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1–4
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5–7
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Lego The Lord of the Rings
Lego Marvel Super Heroes

In 2006, Telltale was only known for mobile phone poker games and licensed CSI titles.

Call of Duty was about World War II, the most popular setting for a shooter. The idea of having to unlock stuff in FPS multiplayer according to a persistent level or skill tree was absurd.

Question is, when the game does come out....could we ever even begin to forgive the time it took? Even if it was really, really, really good? It will always be a joke, in a sense.

Let's not forget about the other Masterpieces Nomura has crafted or had his hands in since FFXVersus was announced:

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
  • The World Ends With You
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy
  • Dissidia 02 Final Fantasy
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
  • Final Fantasy Type 0
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Nomura truly is incredible. I really want FFXV, but I think they really need to make this game perfect since it appears that it may be the only hope for Sony and PS4 in Japan... along with KH3.

Pretty much the reason I'm excited for FFXV. Outside of maybe three or four titles, pretty much every game I've loved developed by SE since the merger has had Nomura on as a director or creative producer. I probably like his work on that front more than I like him as a character designer.

Here is a list of the game studios we lost since 2006.

• 3D Realms - 2009
  • 4mm Games - 2012
  • 38 Studios - 2012
  • 7 Studios (Activision) - 2011
  • Backbone Vancouver - 2009
  • BigBig (Sony) - 2012
  • Big Huge Games - 2012
  • Bizarre Creations (Activision) - 2010/2011
  • Black Rock (Disney) - 2011
  • Black Hole Entertainment - 2012
  • Blue Fang Games - 2011
  • Blue Tongue (THQ) - 2011
  • Blitz Games - 2013
  • BottleRocket - 2009
  • Brash Entertainment - 2008
  • Bright Light - 2012
  • Budcat (Activision) - 2010
  • Castaway Entertainment - 2008
  • Cheyenne Mountain - 2010
  • Cing - 2010
  • Clover Studios (Capcom) - 2006
  • Codemasters Guildford - 2011
  • Cohort Studios - 2011
  • Concrete Games - 2008
  • Dark Energy Digital - 2012
  • Deep Silver Vienna - 2010
  • DICE Canada - 2006
  • EA Chicago - 2007
  • EA Bright Light - 2011/2012
  • EA Japan - 2007
  • Eidos Manchester - 2009
  • Eidos Hungary - 2010
  • Ensemble Studios (Microsoft) - 2008
  • Factor 5 - 2009
  • FASA (Microsoft) - 2007
  • Fizz Factor - 2009
  • Flagship Studios - 2008
  • Flight Plan - 2010
  • Frozen North Productions
  • FuzzyEyes - 2009
  • Gamelab - 2009
  • Game Republic - 2011
  • GRIN - 2009
  • HB Studios Halifax - 2012
  • Helixe (THQ) - 2008
  • Hogrocket - 2012
  • Hudson Entertainment - 2011
  • Humannature Studio (Nexon Vancouver) - 2009
  • Ignition London - 2010
  • Ignition Florida - 2010
  • Incognito Entertainment (Sony) - 2009
  • Indie Built (Take-Two) - 2006
  • Iron Lore - 2008
  • ImaginEngine - 2012
  • Juice Games (THQ) - 2011
  • Kaos Studios (THQ) - 2011
  • Killaware - 2011
  • Killspace Entertainment - 2011
  • KMM Brisbane - 2011
  • Krome Studios (might still be operating on skeleton crew) - 2010
  • Kuju Manila - 2009
  • Kuju Chemistry - 2009
  • Kush Games - 2008
  • Locomotive Games (THQ) - 2010
  • Luxoflux - 2010
  • LucasArts - 2013
  • Mass Media (THQ) - 2008
  • Monte Cristo - 2010
  • Monumental Games - 2012
  • Midway Austin - 2009
  • Midway Newcastle - 2009
  • Midway San Diego - 2012
  • MTV Games - 2011
  • Multiverse - 2012
  • NetDevil - 2011
  • Ninja Studio - 2009
  • Neversoft - 2014
  • Outerlight - 2010
  • PAM Development (Take-Two) - 2008
  • Paragon - 2012
  • Pandemic Australia (EA) - 2009
  • Pandemic LA (EA) - 2009
  • Paradigm Entertainment - 2008
  • Pi Studios - 2011
  • Pivotal Games (Take-Two) - 2008
  • Propaganda Games (Disney) - 2011
  • Pseudo Interactive - 2008
  • Rainbow Studios (THQ) - 2011
  • Realtime Worlds - 2010
  • Rebellion Derby - 2010
  • Red Octane - 2010
  • Rockstar Vienna - 2006
  • Rockstar Vancouver - 2012
  • Sandblast Games (THQ) - 2008
  • SEGA San Francisco - 2010
  • Shaba Games (Activision) - 2009
  • Sony Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) - 2012
  • Spellbound Entertainment - 2012
  • SOE Denver - 2011
  • SOE Seattle - 2011
  • SOE Tuscon - 2011
  • Stormfront Studios - 2008
  • Straylight Studios - 2009
  • Team Bondi - 2011
  • The Code Monkeys - 2011
  • Titan Studios - 2009
  • THQ Studio Australia - 2009
  • THQ Digital Warrington - 2009
  • Transmission Games - 2009
  • Universomo (THQ) - 2009
  • Ubisoft Vancouver - 2012
  • Venom Games (Take Two) - 2008
  • Vicarious Visions California - 2007
  • Visceral Australia (EA) - 2011
  • Wolfpack Studios - 2006
  • Yuke's Company Of America - 2010
  • Zoe Mode London - 2009
  • Zipper Interactive - 2012

I like to think that by the time the game release, just how many better and more groundbreaking games have come out since it was announced.

Back in 2006, we had no real indication that we'd get a SFIV or Marvel vs Capcom 3. Since then, both games have come out, and the former has led to a resurgence in the genre.

Off the top of my head:

- Every version of Street Fighter IV
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Ultimate MVC3
- Street Fighter x Tekken
- Tekken 6, Tekken Tag 2, and Tekken Revolution
- The entire Blazblue series.
- 3 more versions of GGX2, and GGXrd
- Dead or Alive 5
- Nomura himself had a hand in the two Dissidia games
- Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct reboots
- A long overdue DC fighting game with Injustice
- Persona 4 Arena and the Ultimax update
- Online editions of Third Strike, MVC2 and Darkstalkers

On top of that, we've had announcements of MKX, another Capcom/Dimps fighter, Tekken 7, and Pokken Tournament.

cvxfreak

Since May 2006, the following games have been released and/or announced:

1. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
2. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
3. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero
4. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil
5. Resident Evil 5
6. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
7. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
8. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
9. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica HD Ver.
10. Resident Evil 4 HD Ver.
11. Resident Evil Revelations
12. Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
13. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (HD)
14. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (HD)
15. Resident Evil 6
16. Resident Evil Revelations (HD)
17. Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD
18. Resident Evil HD Remaster
19. Resident Evil Revelations 2

(NOTE: I'm assuming Resident Evil Portable became Revelations)

The following Resident Evil films were released:

1. Resident Evil Extinction
2. Resident Evil Degeneration
3. Resident Evil Afterlife
4. Resident Evil Retribution
5. Resident Evil Damnation

Persona 3 was released in Japan 2 months after Versus was announced.
FES was released in 2007
Persona 4 in 2008
Persona 3: Portable in 2009
Persona 1 PSP in 2009
Persona 2: IS PSP in 2011
P2: EP PSP in 2012
P4 Golden in 2012
P4 Arena in 2012
Ultimax Arcade in 2013
Ultimax Console in 2014
Persona Q in 2014
Persona 4: DAN in 2014
Persona 5 in 2015

+Two whole anime adapations of P4, a spinoff P3 anime, and two P3 animated films.

The Persona series was entirely revived and rebooted into Atlus' biggest property after Versus was first announced.

Came here to post this... Insane to think about.

I-hate-u

At least 4 Souls games would have been released, and FROMSOFT (argaubly best Japanese game developer at the moment) was only known for the Armored Core and King Field series.

EDIT: Dammit Spanish Wrath.

Lunar15

This might be my favorite thread in GAF.

Hell, I went to college, graduated, and got a job in the time since it was announced.

We're going to have two different smash bros. games released before XV comes out.

Since VSXIII was announced, western RPGs took over the market.

Bethesda alone released Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all to critical and commercial success. BioWare released three Mass Effect games and two Dragon Age with the third DA coming out this year!

And still no Versus/XV.

You know when I first saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be milestones made in the development of the game. Then reality kicked in again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Until the game comes out. So, another 5-6 years.

well, that made me chuckle a bit.

But really, FF V XIII also no longer exists.

It could be 'major developments and milestones since FF V 13 was announced and cancelled' - really, because the project was in pre production and tech development for years and then was killed before FF15 started in full production. So, that was only announced 1 year ago technically.

Magnus

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Every Assassin's Creed game was released.
  • The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2006, Naughty Dog was primarily known as the Jak & Daxter studio.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.

Well then.

Wow.

Gaming:

- iPhone was released
- Rock Band/Guitar Hero rose and died'

Me:

- Started and finished my undergraduate degree
- Became legal drinking age
- Finished my Masters Degree
- Bought my first house
- Became engaged
- Starting working in the "real world"
- (will be) Married my wife

Phades

[*]Duke Nukem Forever released
[/LIST]

This should have found its way into one of the first posts, if for nothing else, comedic value. A game in development for 15 years got released in the gap provided and could easily be likened to FFXV in terms of development rollercoaster for different reasons.

Some highlights:

If it doesn't release by next year, we will be in double digits. ><;

-------

Also, this thread makes me feel old. :(

Top Bottom