• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

Since 2006, the Dragon Quest series jumped away from Sony consoles to Nintendo handhelds then to Nintendo consoles then to mobile and PC and now (spinoffs at least) are back on Sony consoles.

Toxi

Banned
The human population passed the 7 billion mark.

Same-sex marriage became legal in 18 states in the United States.

sonicmj1

The time since the Final Fantasy Versus announcement in Warriors/Musou games:

Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
Warriors Orochi
Samurai Warriors 2: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
Dynasty Warriors 6
Samurai Warriors Katana (Wii)
Warriors Orochi 2
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2
Samurai Warriors 3
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends
Samurai Warriors Chronicles
Dynasty Warriors 7
Samurai Warriors 3: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends
Warriors Orochi 3
One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 8
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn
Hyrule Warriors

I may be missing some games.

Duderz

Banned
Assuming Final Fantasy XV doesn't arrive until 2016 (and even that seems very conservative), we will have had the following systems released:

PlayStation 3
Wii
3DS
Wii U
PlayStation Vita
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Nintendo's Quality of Life platform

This many Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Phone
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King WiiWare
Dissidia Final Fantasy
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adolun
Final Fantasy XIV (Realm Reborn)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

lmao this right here

edit: wait wut crisis core came out on mobile?

Caayn

Assuming Final Fantasy XV doesn't arrive until 2016 (and even that seems very conservative), we will have had the following systems released:

Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Wii
3DS
Wii U
PlayStation Vita
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Xbox 360 launched before FF XV was announced.

Damerman

After the Tesla Roadster and then avoiding utter financial annihilation in 2008, Tesla Motors had begun production of the Model S in 2012, released it in 2013, and are planing on releasing the Model E by the end of the year.

This thread makes me sad.

It is also a fun read :D

Plenty has changed in the past 8 years. Square has also lost plenty of their talent and I hope someone can make a list of the people that they lost over these 8 years.

sublimit

Banned

Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Wii
3DS
Wii U
PlayStation Vita
Xbox One
PlayStation 4

You forgot the PSPGo!

Nordicus

Minecraft became a thing and sold over 50 million copies

At least 4 Souls games would have been released, and FROMSOFT (argaubly best Japanese game developer at the moment) was only be known for the Armored Core and King Field series.

EDIT: Dammit Spanish Wrath.
And now in gaming circles, when you say "Miyazaki", many think Hidetaka instead of Hayao

Scum

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Every Assassin's Creed game was released.
  • The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2006, Naughty Dog was primarily known as the Jak & Daxter studio.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.

Fucking hell. Dear God, SE. D:

RedSwirl

I wonder how fair would the comparisons between Nomura and Matsuno be at this point. FFXII also had quite a stretched development time.

That was more or less planned though. According to Wiki, FFX and XI started development in 1999 and FFXII started development in 2000. They planned for each one to "stay in the oven" longer, being released in sequence. Plus the game's original director had to drop out mid-way. I guess you could argue FFXII maybe should have come out around 2003 or so instead of 2006.

Back in 2006, we had no real indication that we'd get a SFIV or Marvel vs Capcom 3. Since then, both games have come out, and the former has led to a resurgence in the genre.

Off the top of my head:

- Every version of Street Fighter IV
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Ultimate MVC3
- Street Fighter x Tekken
- Tekken 6, Tekken Tag 2, and Tekken Revolution
- The entire Blazblue series.
- 3 more versions of GGX2, and GGXrd
- Dead or Alive 5
- Nomura himself had a hand in the two Dissidia games
- Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct reboots
- A long overdue DC fighting game with Injustice
- Persona 4 Arena and the Ultimax update
- Online editions of Third Strike, MVC2 and Darkstalkers

On top of that, we've had announcements of MKX, another Capcom/Dimps fighter, Tekken 7, and Pokken Tournament.

Bruh. In 2006 fighting games were in danger of extinction outside Japanese arcades. The entire revival of the genre on home consoles has occurred since Versus XIII was announced.

Nintendo became the industry leader, lost industry support, and then lost consumer support in the time it has taken for FFXV to go from announcement 1 to announcement 2.

Zafir

Yeah, I always joke that I finished secondary school, did all of college, and will have done all my university course by the time it gets released. Really ridiculous now. :I

dramatis

The Voyager 1 has reached interstellar space since the announcement of Vs13...

In 2006, China's GDP was 2.7 trillion. Data for 2013 puts China's GDP at 9.2 trillion.

Liha

Banned
Diablo 3 classic + RoS announcement & release
StarCraft 2 + HotS announcement & release
5 - 6 World of WarCraft expansions
9 CoD games
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dragon Age Trilogy
The Witcher Trilogy

Since it's announcement, Capcom released four editions of Street Fighter IV, two editions of Marvel vs. Capcom, made a Street Fighter crossover with Tekken, made 8 Monster Hunters, 4 Resident Evils, created the Dead Rising series, created (and subsequently destroyed) the Lost Planet series, lost the talents of Kamiya, Mikami, and Inafune, and made two Megaman games

RGamer2009

Neo Member
in 2006, we got Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, one of the worst video games in history. People thought the game series would die off permanently, and he would become a distant memory, like Sega was at the time.

In 2014, Sega has embraced the digital market and is doing well. Not only is Sonic still around and had 7 new titles, the series reputation is mostly repaired. Sonic is getting a spin-off by western developers with a CGI cartoon attached to it, the first cartoon based on the franchise since Sonic X in 2003. He is also planned to have his first Live-Action Feature Film by Sony Pictures in the near future.

FFXIII Vs has not released.

Since it's announcement, Capcom released four editions of Street Fighter IV, two editions of Marvel vs. Capcom, made a Street Fighter crossover with Tekken, made 8 Monster Hunters, 4 Resident Evils, created the Dead Rising series, created (and subsequently destroyed) the Lost Planet series, lost the talents of Kamiya, Mikami, and Inafune, and made two Megaman games

This is the most significant considering their massive output of Megaman during the GBA days.

Top Bottom