• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

JCreasy

When Versus was announced, my wife and I were dating.

Now we're married with a kid and a house.

And I've switched jobs 3 times since then.

RK128

Looking back, all of this happened:
-Eight Ratchet and Clank games came out (The Future Trilogy, Secret Agent Clank, Size Matters, All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, Into the Nexus) with a full-on theater movie based on the original game coming early next year (and another game in the series with it).
-The PSP Generation happened and the Vita's generation is still going on.
-The DS had two revisions during this time (DS Light, DSi) alongside the 3DS generation happening.....plus three revisions of that (3DS XL/LL, 2DS, New 3DS/New 3DS XL).
-The Wii had its long generation and the Wii U has been out three years by the time this lunches (ASSUMING this is really coming out next fall)
-The PSN grew a lot; more and more features added to the service, PS+ was created, the PSN Hack happened and PS+ got the IGC
-Animation took a huge dive-bomb on classic networks (Cartoon Network, Disney, Nick) and it also got revived (Cartoon Network improving, Disney resurrecting Classic Mickey with new cartoons by former Cartoon Network animations, Nick.....just getting worse X(, The Hub growing as a solid channel)
-Television grew a lot; six seasons of Sons of Anarchy, the entire run of Braking Bad, ect.
-The PS4 and X1 are will be a two years old by the time this comes out (ASSUMING this launches next fall)

God....so much happened while this game took its sweet time developing X(. Well, I really hope this does coming out next year/2016; it just has to.....

Ushiwaka

Capcom shut down Clover. Most of the Clover guys, including Kamiya and Mikami, formed Platinum. Platinum has released 7 games since then.

MadWorld
Infinite Space
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Anarchy Reigns
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Wonderful 101

Mikami left Platinum and started working on Project Zwei. The game later turned out to be The Evil Within, which will be released in a month. Platinum also will release at least two other games (Bayo 2 and Korra) before FFXV comes out.

Damerman

If you Bought shares of Apple in May 2006 (when versus XIII was announced) your capital gains would have been approximately 805%(before the stock splite in June).

The fact that the two Xenoblade games will have been developed and released within this time period.

Wow.

I just want Kingdom Hearts III to come so I can stop playing this series (yeah they'll be other games but I won't play them).

JCreasy

Disney bought Marvel and Lucas Film.

How many billions has Marvel Studios made since then?

Also, the next Star Wars will be out before Final Fantasy XV is out.

The next Star Wars.

Next Star Wars.

Star Wars.

giphy.gif

tav7623

3 versions of Windows came out (Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8) and supposedly a teaser image for Windows 9 was leaked last week.

Stephen King has written/released 8 books so far, one of which was a semi sequel to The Shining, and has one more book scheduled for release this November.

5 different teams have won the World Series since 2006 (Cardinals, Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, & Giants), three of them (Cardinals, Red Sox and Giants) have won 2 World Series each (06 & 11, 07 & 13, 10 & 12) in that span.

Azure J

The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise saw its most dire entry released in the winter of 2006. After ferocious critical panning and signs of waning popularity despite the series and character's long running history, a technical engineer for SEGA's "Sonic Team" at the time by the name of Yoshihisa Hashimoto would take the reigns of the series giving it a new game play direction as well as an immense graphic engine that had actually been in development for a year at that point. After the release of this game (Sonic Unleashed, 2008) SEGA would follow up with two more titles in the main line franchise which were beloved and almost universally praised. The titles were Sonic Colors (2010) for the Wii and Sonic Generations (2011) for the 360/PS3/PC.

Mr. Hashimoto who left Sonic Team in 2009 after setting them on a good path with the Hedgehog Engine was hired by Square Enix in the same year for engine development, citing the excellent work he did in bringing better lighting solutions like global illumination to the Hedgehog Engine. In July of this year, Mr. Hashimoto has since parted ways from SE where he had become the Chief Technical Officer after helping the Luminous Studio produce Agni's Philosophy, a video said to represent what SE wishes to do with FFXV's graphic engine.

No games have been released with any of Hashimoto's work from the time of his hire to now.

Son Of D

In the UK Blockbuster, Woolworths, Zavvi (the retail store, not the online store), Choices, JJB Sports, Comet, Gamestation, Fopp and Play.com were still in business when Versus was announced.

Some of these were bought by competitors however but the brand names are gone. Also Play.com still exists, it's now just a marketplace as opposed to its own online retailer.

HeelPower

Arab "spring" happened.

Many rulers dethroned.

Egyptian 2011 uprising and its complete reversal by 2014.

Iraq in turmoil.Syria war started and still on going.ISIS happened.

I have been struggling in Uni for three years.
JLaw's whole career, from her very first role through America's sweetheart, a cutesy nickname, and a nude leak, has all occurred since Versus was announced.

An oscar win and two other nominations.

Final Fantasy XV is up in smokes

wanders

Since FFXV has been announced Xenoblade has been announced and released.

A sequel is in the works and seems do what FFXV is trying to do

Kickstarter was founded in 2009 and It got very popular by 2012 when Tim Schafer decided to go the route of fan funding for his new game. A sequel to Wasteland will be released this month on the 19th as well as a Sequel to Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera in 2015. We also got a sequel to Shadowrun called Shadowrun Returns in 2013.

MechaX

High school, college, and grad school graduations.

Man... that's... really fucking sad when I think about how this game got announced before I even graduated high school, I'm in the post grad-school work force and we're still hearing "Wait for E3/TGS!" bullshit.

Syrinx

Of the four major American/North American sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), these are the only teams to not play in the postseason:

-Buffalo Bills
-Cleveland Browns
-Oakland Raiders
-St.Louis Rams
-Kansas City Royals
-Toronto Blue Jays
-Seattle Mariners
-Florida/Miami Marlins
-Houston Astros
-Minnesota Timberwolves
-Sacramento Kings (note: they qualified in 2006; were eliminated three days before FF Vs. XIII/XV was announced)
-No NHL teams (note: Oilers were still playing their last playoff hockey at time of announcement)

Out of 122 major American sports teams, 111 of them have seen some postseason action since the initial announcement of Final Fantasy Vs. XIII, with a possibility that some of the remaining 11 will see some before the release.

RK128

Man... that's... really fucking sad when I think about how this game got announced before I even graduated high school, I'm in the post grad-school work force and we're still hearing "Wait for E3/TGS!" bullshit.

It is just messed up X(. I was JUST starting high school when this was announced and now I'm starting my third year of college :l.

I understand that Square had the FF Verses team spread way to thin to develop other FF games but still.....it's been eight years at this point....the damn game should be out by now.

God, I mean, fucking Duke Nukem Forever came out and that was in development hell EVEN LONGER then this X(.

....Well, at least other JRPG series took FF place at this point. Persona, SMT, Ys, Xenoblade, and others took over the Final Fantasy name, in my eyes at least :l. At this point....I really won't care if this ever comes out, and that is just really, really sad :(.

From Software developed and released all three of the Souls games. They've also announced the spiritual successor to these games (Bloodborne) which will be releasing next year.

CassSept

3 versions of Windows came out (Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8) and supposedly a teaser image for Windows 9 was leaked last week.

If it doesn't slip W9 should be out before Versus too.

December 18th 2015. Let's not go that far.

Even if, and that's a huge if, the game somehow debuts in a playable form at E3 2015 I don't believe they can push it out before 2016 at earliest. I just don't.

I wasn't even in high school and now I have a job and am a year away from majoring.

Cromat

I think the fault is more with the fans which were still following an obvious vaporware title as if it was real and in general for having expectations from a company that clearly lost its any soul it once had and hasn't made a really good game since 2006.

We are getting a new canon MGS game after 4 which released in 2008 after being announced in 2005 at TGS. MGS5 is probably releasing in 2015, it is also made in an entirely new engine that Hideo Kojima built from the ground up called The Fox Engine.

Edit: We got a taste from MGS5 with Ground Zeroes on March 18th, 2014. Big Boss voice actor changed from David Hayter to Kiefer Sutherland.

ChuyMasta

I got a bachelors degree, 2 certifications, half a masters degree, 3 girlfriends, one wife, 2 cars and a house.

Gee man, 8 years!

to be fair it takes a good deal of effort to craft a FF game, that's why FF games are actually remembered years later and not just flavor of the month like a lot of games.

Man reading this thread it really is unbelievable what happened with Versus / 15 development cycle.

I would love to see a documentary made about all the different versions and twists and turns this game has gone through.

like I wonder if the final game will actually have anything to do with the original concept, and I REALLY wonder if they had even done any development at all at the time of the announcement. I cant help but wonder if they simply thought up a cool CG cutscene without having any actual in game assets made yet.

theWB27

I was three years out of high school. I turn 30 next year.
My daughter was born a year after the announcement. She just started first grade.
Sony launched PSN 8 months after the announcement.

Today every gamer can stream their gameplay online through twitch (launched 5 years after the announcement) Ustream(launched a year after the announcement)

Forza Motorsport 2,3,4 released on X360 while 5 released at next gen launch
Gran Turismo HD concept release in December of 2006- 5 released 4 years later- 6 released 3 years after 5

All I got.

to be fair it takes a good deal of effort to craft a FF game, that's why FF games are actually remembered years later and not just flavor of the month like a lot of games.

Eh, doesn't take 8 years to make a great game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I would love to see a documentary made about all the different versions and twists and turns this game has gone through.

Would totally buy this - would be even better if it used the game's development history to take a wider look at the Japanese video game industry.

To be fair, if every FF game took 8 years between announcement and release, we'd be looking forward to FFIV.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
God dayumn this read puts things into perspective ever so gracefully lol. The fuck is you doing, SE!?

Boss Man

It was a simpler time, '06. Why, a young YouTube had just launched in the year of our lord two thousand and five

duckroll

I'm starting to delete posts which actually discuss the development of FFXV. Remember, that's not what this thread is for! :)

Top Bottom