• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

FeiRR

Banned
Oh, for the love of...

People, the network is just stressed due to +10.000.000 PS4s turning on and downloading a 200 MB file at the same time. It's not a bloody bug.

Quit the FUD please.

Update servers aren't the same as login servers. Unless they are really stu... Oh, wait.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK I successfully managed to upload a video I captured to YouTube, but it doesn't appear on my channel. lol

How long until it shows up?

jiggles

Banned
It's just standard update protocol:

1. Update released.
2. Everybody is booted from the network at once.
3. First few people install the update and log in to the now-empty network.
4. "OMG, everything that uses the network is so fast now! Friends, trophies, Library. It's all lightning quick!"
5. Everyone else finishes installing the update and tries to log in at once.
6. Authentication server melts. Nobody can log in.

Calabi

Music player works great for me. Just plugged in my MP3 Player and it recognises it all in the music folder and folders thatt I put them in. It doesnt auto mute the in game music though.

The network seems to be down for me now, and you still cant check trophies when it is down, although they seem to have fixed the always syncing the trophies when you check them which is good.

Tratorn

Welcome to Sony firmware updates.

I don't get the hype behind these things.
New features are nice, but at what cost?

Lol.
Because a minority of console ownwers have some problems that get (hopefully) fixed, there shouldn't be updates for the console?

Also you can remove the "Sony" part, because many updates from a lot of companies lead to some issues.

Does this update have the dedicated YouTube app?

ks7ltem.jpg

Guess I got what I wanted from the moment I got a PS4.

Update servers aren't the same as login servers. Unless they are really stu... Oh, wait.
They might still sit behind the same routers, and even if they don't, the login server will be overloaded as well as soon as everyone has downloaded the update and try to log back in.

It's just standard update protocol:

1. Update released.
2. Everybody is booted from the network at once.
3. First few people install the update and log in to the now-empty network.
4. "OMG, everything that uses the network is so fast now! Friends, trophies, Library. It's all lightning quick!"
5. Everyone else finishes installing the update and tries to log in at once.
6. Authentication server melts. Nobody can log in.

people weren't booted from the network. I was just playing Destiny and seen people had the updates already. I had to back out and download the update manually, while still connected to PSN.

I was signed back online like immediately after posting the comment. No issues so far. Testing YouTube uploading now.

P.S I did nothing. Just booted up Evil Within which I was playing only to notice after a while that I was back online.

Cade

Well, after coming back from Rest Mode I hit the PS button on my controller, the light on it turned white but the console stayed yellow. Nothing else is happening. Held down power on the console for 10+ seconds, nothing. What now?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Will people stop saying it's just the fact PSN is getting hammered. It's got nothing to do with that. It's screwed my online up completely and I can't even log in.

Withnail

Music player works great for me. Just plugged in my MP3 Player and it recognises it all in the music folder and folders thatt I put them in. It doesnt auto mute the in game music though.

The network seems to be down for me now, and you still cant check trophies when it is down, although they seem to have fixed the always syncing the trophies when you check them which is good.

Depends on the game. Some games do mute the in-game music, Driveclub does for instance.

cripterion

Anyone getting "content cannot be selected at this time" when trying to get additional themes in the store?

The store and everything is working except this.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Best new feature

When typing with the virtual keyboard, the predictive text now offers capitalized versions of words if you type your first letter as a capital. Before it would only suggest lowercase versions.

Will the YouTube App work as I imagine it? As I'm trying to find all Dead Ghosts in Destiny and switching to YouTube and watch a guide and switching back would be nice, would this be the case now?

As I used the browser for it recently and it sucks as it always loads the page new when I'm switching.

Well, after coming back from Rest Mode I hit the PS button on my controller, the light on it turned white but the console stayed yellow. Nothing else is happening. Held down power on the console for 10+ seconds, nothing. What now?

Pray or make a sandwich, one option is tastier!

FeiRR

Banned
Have to login to update...

But please, enlighten everyone on how Sony is supposed to do it, Mr Network Administrator.

No, you don't. At least that's how it worked when PSN got hacked. Game updates still downloaded despite PSN being down. You divide your infrastructure and put different tasks on different servers. I'm not a network admin and I know that.

barit

Hm wtf is this "You can't join Share Play. Your SEN Account can only be used for specific regions and countries" ?

I smell some censorship for Germany and co. or why would Sony do this ?

Top Bottom