• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC 2 - Full races

NwXNyhh.png

Kung Fu Lakitu
Yes please.

Ribbon Road is so good.

Incredible.

Shiggy

I really wonder what happened to the Mario Kart team with MK8. MK Wii levels looked rather bland, yet MK8 levels are incredibly detailed where the designers tried to build worlds that make sense. I can't remember a racer with such a high level of detail in world building.

Neiteio

Never played Double Dash, so I don't really get the hype for Baby Park after watching the footage.
Imagine a shitstorm of shells, banana peels and bombs where the person in last can wreck the person in first with any item from anywhere at any time.

JoeInky

I actually hate the Big Blue remix, parts of the song are awful, more specifically any part where the guy on the sax goes fucking crazy and it just sounds like a mess.

Neo Bowser City is all kinds of right though, best Mario Kart track.

Roo

I really wonder what happened to the Mario Kart team with MK8. MK Wii levels looked rather bland, yet MK8 levels are incredibly detailed where the designers tried to build worlds that make sense. I can't remember a racer with such a high level of detail in world building.

They thought Mario Kart 8 would save the Wii U so they put all their eggs in one basket.
It's probably one of the IP's with the highest budget right now.

Plus Mario Kart as a franchise was never a looker so it was about time.

jariw

They thought Mario Kart 8 would save the Wii U so they put all their eggs in one basket.
It's probably one of the IP's with the highest budget right now.

Plus Mario Kart as a franchise was never a looker so it was about time.

Or they just wanted to make a quality game.

SmithnCo

The increased power probably helped a ton. Wii probably couldn't be as detailed and still maintain the framerate like they wanted.

Blues1990

Still extremely salty at how they gimped the battle mode. They should have DLC for that.
We need to start a campaign for Nintendo to rework the games battle mode. Make it more like MKDD, including the multitude of modes, then Mario Kart 8 will be the greatest thing in the history of the universe.

Ribbon Road might be the best looking track in the entire game now. Absolutely LOVE it.

Ribbon Road looks awesome but I'm kinda sad at how they've been treating all the GBA music in this game. I mean shit, nice remixes dudes but some faithfulness would be nice, and this track in particular already had perfect music that would have benefited from just orchestration or a better soundfont

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I finally checked this out just now and WTF BIG BLUE? I swear to god, Nintendo better be teasing a new F-Zero...

These F-Zero tracks are obvisoulsy a teaser for Next F-Zero. It have to be ! Have faith, praise Bio Rex !
i think Fzero is pretty much a reality on the Wii U. Reasons:

* The tech and engine is there.
* Simple and smaller scale proyect than other big Nintendo IPs.
* Tied to the above, due to the Wii U install base there's room for these type of games due to the less involved development process. Stuff like Wave Race, 1080, Excite Bike and Fzero would be a good fit for the console.
* The 200cc mode could be a result of Nintendo experimenting with the MK engine for Fzero.

With 200cc, there is no need for F-Zero anymore.

Yeah, with having two F-Zero tracks and this increased speed, I feel this is Nintendo saying "we aren't making a new F-Zero, but here's the next best thing." At least not for Wii U. What would be the need for another racer if Mario Kart 8 will keep on selling regardless? (And more than a possible F-Zero would.)

Tookay

Yeah, with having two F-Zero tracks and this increased speed, I feel this is Nintendo saying "we aren't making a new F-Zero, but here's the next best thing." At least not for Wii U. What would be the need for another racer if Mario Kart 8 will keep on selling regardless? (And more than a possible F-Zero would.)
Exactly. The F-Zero tracks are just Nintendo admitting that the series isn't viable on its own anymore. It isn't a hint toward another game at all.

Mr-Joker

Banned

* Tied to the above, due to the Wii U install base there's room for these type of games due to the less involved development process. Stuff like Wave Race, 1080, Excite Bike and Fzero would be a good fit for the console.
* The 200cc mode could be a result of Nintendo experimenting with the MK engine for Fzero.

Agreed, plus the fact that Caption Falcon isn't a playable character and just a costume for the Mii if you have a Caption Falcon Amiibo.

We're getting a new F-Zero game.

F-Zero plays differently from Mario Kart, so no 200cc isn't enough to be F-Zero.

Guys, there will be no F-Zero ever again.

They tried to appease you with the NintendoLand attraction and even moreso in Mario Kart.

There also will not be another Wave Race as they will offer the first one as an N64 Virtual Console game.

There will not be another Metroid either as they have Samus' helmet to satisfy you in Animal Crossing New Leaf.

The only chance we have is if Nintendo bought the rights to Beetle Adventure Racing.

The biggest issue I can foresee with F-Zero on the Wii U is the lack of analog triggers for its controllers (other than the Gamecube controller, which Nintendo shows no signs of supporting). One of the biggest challenges to F-Zero GX was simply learning how to master the vehicles themselves, which the analog triggers were essential for. At the very least, this sequel would be fundamentally different in how it handles.

That being said, Nintendo has proved that sometimes, less is more. Super Mario 3D World might lack some of the advance mobility options Mario previous had such as Super Mario 64; but the game is more accessible, and the platforming is incredibly refined. Perhaps Nintendo can do the same for F-Zero with its racing.

In the end, Mute City, Big Blue, and the new 200cc speed class in Mario Kart can indicate one of two things:
• They plan on releasing an F-Zero title.
• These extras are designed to satisfy the F-Zero fans for the time being.

The former would only make sense if Nintendo feels there's enough of a market for the Wii U to host a variety of racing titles. The latter makes sense if they wish to focus on other titles while doing their best to please F-Zero fans. As for predictions, it's Nintendo. You can never predict what they are going to do next.

Mory Dunz

is 200cc experimenting for or replacing F-Zero.

I mean personally, with all the new content of MK8, I probably wouldn't buy a new F-Zero unless it was mind-blowing.

Or I'd wait for a large drop in price. Point being, with MK8, it'd be less of a priority.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What other racing game on the Wii U uses a risk/reward mechanic like shielding/boost power?
The biggest issue I can foresee with F-Zero on the Wii U is the lack of analog triggers for its controllers (other than the Gamecube controller, which Nintendo shows no signs of supporting). One of the biggest challenges to F-Zero GX was simply learning how to master the vehicles themselves, which the analog triggers were essential for. At the very least, this sequel would be fundamentally different in how it handles.
F-Zero X exists and that had no analog triggers.

They could just make the new F-Zero game be a sequel to X instead of GX. People would be mad as hell, but it would work around the lack of analog triggers.

Astral Dog

I imagine they got help from Retro and Monolithsoft, also the budget is far bigger this time, Nintendo obviously looked at the sales of MK Wii compared to Galaxy and gave more importance accordingly.

I honestly believe this is why Nintendo did this. Added a faster mode + two F-Zero tracks to a series they KNOW will sell.

Sorry, I would love a new F-Zero and hate to be that guy but...yeah.
How do you fill the Wii U line up gap until 2017 then?

The biggest game proyect internally at Nintendo most be Zelda, after that i don't think they will be willing to make games of such scale for the Wii U. So smaller proyects until the system is retired make most sense. With the MarioKart U engine, they could probably pull of an Fzero game in a year and extend the revenew from it with DLC. Even thought Fzero is not a cash titan, at the least is a known IP and one that has skipped an entire generation.

i can totally see your point of view but what im getting at is... that is not that implausible.

We should consider also that Nintendo is homogenizing it's development pipeline. So a game made for the Wii U could potentially be a game for another of their platforms in the future. So the revenew channels widen this way and the risks diminish.

Top Bottom