• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC 2 - Full races

J@hranimo

Banned
How do you fill the Wii U line up gap until 2017 then?

The biggest game proyect internally at Nintendo most be Zelda, after that i don't think they will be willing to make games of such scale for the Wii U. So smaller proyects until the system is retired make most sense. With the MarioKart U engine, they could probably pull of an Fzero game in a year and extend the revenew from it with DLC. Even thought Fzero is not a cash titan, at the least is a known IP and one that has skipped an entire generation.

i can totally see your point of view but what im getting at is... that is not that implausible.

We should consider also that Nintendo is homogenizing it's development pipeline. So a game made for the Wii U could potentially be a game for another of their platforms in the future. So the revenew channels widen this way and the risks diminish.

I don't really think they'd put the time into a revitalized F-Zero sequel for a console that has barely broken 10 mil worldwide. It would be best for whenever their new console drops to have a game like this at launch to bring back those so called "I'll totally buy another nintendo console if F-Zero is there!"
Which I find to believe for some reason.

Also we already have a small scale futuristic racer coming to the Wii U that isn't made by Nintendo, but will surely fill that void a bit if the online capabilities are great.

jariw

They thought Mario Kart 8 would save the Wii U so they put all their eggs in one basket.
It's probably one of the IP's with the highest budget right now.

Plus Mario Kart as a franchise was never a looker so it was about time.

What does quality have to do with a game looking bland?
Mario Kart DS is a high quality game yet it looks bland even by the time it came out.

What does "save the Wii U" have to do with how MK8 looks? Do other recent Wii U EAD games (3D World, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad) look so much worse?

Regarding the ”highest budget right now", this is what was said at the investor meeting when the MK8 DLCs were discussed:
When we compare making a new “Mario Kart” game and digitally distributing new courses and characters as add-on content, the required number of developers, development costs and development terms are very different. We believe it is important to create triggers for our consumers to frequently play their favorite games while minimizing development costs on our side.

Rymuth

tumblr_lx4gg6Ftww1qb9h9jo1_400.gif

I don't really think they'd put the time into a revitalized F-Zero sequel for a console that has barely broken 10 mil worldwide. It would be best for whenever their new console drops to have a game like this at launch to bring back those so called "I'll totally buy another nintendo console if F-Zero is there!"
Which I find to believe for some reason.

Also we already have a small scale futuristic racer coming to the Wii U that isn't made by Nintendo, but will surely fill that void a bit if the online capabilities are great.
Sorry but you don't have a point here and this is easy to refute.

Star Fox is a "bigger" IP for Nintendo than FZero had ever been, yet they are bothering with it for that 10 million user base.

Also you aren't adressing what i said. A game made for a Wii U now could potentially be a game for any of their successing platforms, since the last years Nintendo is making the effort to have a more homogeneous development infrastructure. So even if the Wii U install base is small the game could have a 2nd chance in a potentially bigger user base.

Secondly, Fzero it's the right scale as far as Wii U proyects go. The development pipeline is basically setup and it's a game that wouldn't take much development time. If NIntendo started the concept phase for a Fzero game after Mario Kart was released we could easily have the game for early 2016.

Of course im not saying it will happen, im just saying it does make sense and the reasons present against it are not that strong. The easy bet here is claiming it won't happen, after all it did not happen in a 100 million user base.

Neat.

I wonder whether Baby Park losing central area's characteristics (items can pass over it) will be for the better or for the worse; the saner or the crazier.

Pitmonkey

This is going to be kinda off the path - but this game REALLY makes me want another open world Mario title (and really exposes the limited exploration from Super Mario 3D World - I fantastic game in it's own right).

Shy Guy Falls
Wario Mountain
Toad Harbor
Sunshine Airport

But now with Wild Woods... all I want to do is explore that area (where you see the village below) - it somehow reminds me of Click Clock Wood from Banjo-Kazooie.

I want to go there, make it happen, Nintendo.

So playing online I suffered from the lagged item wheel where it keeps spinning instead of giving you an item (what I don't get is how I can be attacked by people behind me during this, by the fact they are behind me they should get their item after mine not before...I'm talking first box in the race so no "maybe they had one").

This made me figure something out. Baby Park online will kind of crappy to play given how the item boxes appear to be distributed (they move so you'll get to them sooner but getting to them sooner means less time to use your current one, add in the wheel spinning for longer and it means missing out on items you should have got).Also the shortness of the race means loading and lobby will be as long as the race itself. Also everyone will pick it.

Bahlor

73336e534549df6d78635f8ba6275a47.jpg

Can't wait for all those rainbow road tracks with 200cc... directly after I got dominated by my son on every dlc map :D

MrPanic

The wait is hard man. I need this dlc and patch in my life right now.

I wonder if the 200cc will make no item races interesting.

oatmeal

Banned
This is going to be kinda off the path - but this game REALLY makes me want another open world Mario title (and really exposes the limited exploration from Super Mario 3D World - I fantastic game in it's own right).

Shy Guy Falls
Wario Mountain
Toad Harbor
Sunshine Airport

But now with Wild Woods... all I want to do is explore that area (where you see the village below) - it somehow reminds me of Click Clock Wood from Banjo-Kazooie.

I want to go there, make it happen, Nintendo.

Yep. Same graphics...same mechanics. Almost like the inverse of the sphere planets from Galaxy...this would be more anti-grav and regular gravity...

oatmeal

Banned
BTW, a 200cc online lobby with no items would be a ton of fun now. 150cc was good, but this will be fast enough where it will still work well without items.

So Villager uses the same color picking system as Yoshi? I've seen him with a different shirt and female villager, is it safe to assume that there's a color menu?

Teknoman

Whoa Wild Woods is a Shy Guy village? Looks pretty nice too!

Mario Kart 8 art and music staff needs to be key on the next Mario RPG...and it would be nice if it was a console game.

At 200cc it seems like you almost need an extra lap?

Pizza

What if Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero are going to be major Mario Kart expansions?

The F-Zero stages could just be testing the water to see how open their fan base is to a crossover racing game!

The F-Zero expansion could be Captain Falcon (and maybe other Nintendo space characters like Fox or samus) and friends, with new karts and tracks, and same with a Diddy Kong Racing style pack. F-Zero could all be antigravity where DKR tracks would focus on glider and underwater stuff.

That seems like the most logical reason why Captain Falcon still isn't a racer, and why Diddy is mysteriously absent. It's either that they both are getting new installments soon, or Nintendo is building up to have them be the frontrunners of dlc season 2

Not that rolling all the nintendo racing IP's into one is my first choice, but it'd be a hell of an answer to sonic and all stars racing!

Top Bottom