• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

hitmon

For you guys asking. I've used up almost all of my basic costumes (that's also why I buy alternates for almost everyone :p)

If you have 21 characters, that's 7 costumes you can craft right there. I've also had a few repeats from Mk I fortune card costumes.

I think I've only crafted costumes about 6 or 7 times. Only kept 3 of them that I liked - Daredevil's Shadowland, Thing's Future Foundation (okay, I don't particularly like this one, but I like having Thing fully clothed) and Hawkeye's Avengers Movie.

I never found any costumes, not even from fortune cards.

2 of the costumes were from promotions. In the first few months of launch they gave Iron man's heartbreaker costume for free (even if you didn't have iron man). Then there was the Hulk holiday costume for free.

I also bought SW's hero pack for like 6 bucks during a sale, that gave a free default costume since I already owned her.

The rest? Every time you prestige a hero you get a free default costume. I prestiged... 4 times I think, so that's four. Also, I threw in costumes for heroes that I didn't play on playing, so I got 4 or so from that. And basically, every time I get a costume I don't like, I throw it back into the blender, so you only need 2 more costumes at that point.

Thanks guys. Didn't know you get a free costume when you prestige. I was wondering if there were any benefits to prestige a hero.

I just realized the standard advance pack doesn't come with an alternate costume for each character.. Really wish I was able to get in when they included the ghost rider bundle.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I feel like a complete jackass for not getting the hulk Santa costume, I didn't even think of the blender. Well fuck. Hmm I guess I can toss Spidey default in there if I buy the Future Foundation one, maybe Squirrel Girl default as I have no plans on ever using her again anytime soon, and then... Maybe black widow if I buy the thunderbolts one? Food for thought tho. I do have 1 costume in the bank but it's captain america black costume which is not for sale so I don't think I should toss that

SirKhalid

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I feel like a complete jackass for not getting the hulk Santa costume, I didn't even think of the blender. Well fuck. Hmm I guess I can toss Spidey default in there if I buy the Future Foundation one, maybe Squirrel Girl default as I have no plans on ever using her again anytime soon, and then... Maybe black widow if I buy the thunderbolts one? Food for thought tho. I do have 1 costume in the bank but it's captain america black costume which is not for sale so I don't think I should toss that
Did you try the code? I thought it was still active.

i know you guys like crafting costumes, but you dont ever wish u could trade in a costume for something else?

No, I dont. Costumes are the most precious items in the game for me.
Every time I throw 3 junk costumes into the blender, the tension (and anticipation of possibly getting something great), is EXTEREMLY high.
I have experienced the highest of highs (Ironman Mark II costume!) and the lowest of lows (Things white outfit), at the crafter.
Random costume generation is very exciting. lol

Vecks

Did you try the code? I thought it was still active.

Yeah, maybe the costume codes are still active. I assumed they wouldn't be, but there wasn't any kind of announcement.

Try the codes, Rhaknar, and see if they still work:
HULKLOVESHOLIDAYS
IM3HRTBREAKER

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, maybe the costume codes are still active. I assumed they wouldn't be, but there wasn't any kind of announcement.

Try the codes, Rhaknar, and see if they still work:
HULKLOVESHOLIDAYS
IM3HRTBREAKER

Thanks dude I'll try it when I get home from work, I doubt they work tho, the Thor giveaway didn't work shortly after it was over when I tried (but that was a hero I guess)

This is actually making me more willing to buy some costumes now and just toss the defaults in the blender, damn it, this is how they get ya!

Rhaknar

Both are listed as active at http://orcz.com/Marvel_Heroes:_Promo_Codes

I think Heartbreaker was put as not active before, but maybe I was seeing things or it's back.

Yay they both work! Thanks guys :D

edit: ok tossed spiderman default, hulk holiday and ironman heartbreaker (hate it) in the blender and got...wolverine stupid tribal thing, ugh. well thats going in the blender (especially when I will have fear itself from the advance deluxe)

bought spidey future foundation and black widow thunderbolts, wanted to get black panther wakanda (i want to play both next month with the reviews) but im 125g short :( so black widow default and stupid wolvie costume makes 2, need another for another shot, probably squirrel girl since i dont plan on using her anytime soon. Actually I could use gambit default since I have his death costume coming in the pack (and I dont like his default anyway) but that would mean I would have no costume on gambit for awhile

Yay they both work! Thanks guys :D

I used those two + a normal costume from someone and got Planet Hulk! Which was great timing because I had just got Hulk in a random hero box hours before. Funny how that works!

The second time I used the blender I got crappy Iron Man Mark IV costume.

The third time I used the blender I got Rocket's original costume, it's green and actually looks decent and I own him so that was good.

The fourth time I used the blender I got Binary Ms Marvel!!! Now I just have to get Ms Marvel.

So 3 out of 4 times I've been happy with the blender's results. Not bad!

Ploid 3.0

Just got Punisher's Marvel Now costume.

Pretty much all of my characters will end up being without a costume if I keep this up hah. They don't really need the costume stats to get to 50 though I'm sure. I'll get them to 60 and when they get a big patch I'll end up prestige'n them anyway.

Just got Punisher's Marvel Now costume.

Pretty much all of my characters will end up being without a costume if I keep this up hah. They don't really need the costume stats to get to 50 though I'm sure. I'll get them to 60 and when they get a big patch I'll end up prestige'n them anyway.
Control yourself. Keep the cool looking ones even if you don't have the hero. It can gte addicting gambling but don't. I'm up to 205 splinters and it was hard not to get a 6th random box at 175 but instead save up 400 for Carol. Ypu jave to control yourself

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Punisher has great costumes, but I have his Noir costume so I'm never, ever looking back. Don't ask me how much I spent to get it. Just... #nope

Don't gamble, kids.

KePoW

Banned
Haha, some of you sound like you got addictive gambling personalities, talking about having to hold back to control yourselves lol

I'm glad I never liked gambling in real life lol

Thats a nice one. Punisher doesnt really have any bad costumes though. They range from "pretty good" to "really good", IMO.
I paid $10 for his Classic look, back when I got him as a hero-drop, in-game.

I think his trench coat costume is bad, as the coat is just very poorly modeled/animated. extremely stiff looking.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Opened another random hero box and got Daredevil. Almost out of 200 splinter heroes for the game to give me. Is this really random?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I got Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, Emma Frost and Storm out of random boxes. A healthy mix. RNG is just not on your side.

Just got the Mental Focus Headband (Modok artifact) after only a few cosmic Modok runs. Scarlet Witch is pleased, yes.

I think his trench coat costume is bad, as the coat is just very poorly modeled/animated. extremely stiff looking.

I have heard a few people say this about both Punishers and Emmas trench coats (with her black outfit). Apparently, the coats stick to the backs of the characters legs.
I have also heard that Gaz is planning to fix it eventually. The Punisher outfit would be pretty good then, I'd imagine.

Rhaknar

doing a bit of power leveling on Hawkeye, kinda having fun? lol I dunno hes weird. One thing for sure tho, I am STILL not feeling explosive arrow, even with the piercing talent. Im not saying you guys are wrong, I just dont really care for it. I much prefer to just coat a area in gas arrows, I usually just end up not using explosive between the gas and the turret.

I think I would prefer to have a strong single target spell for bosses tbh, which do you guys reckon is stronger, tripple or rocket?

oh btw, I got a lvl 25 uru (100 dmg with physical attacks), can you upgrade these like uniques?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I have heard a few people say this about both Punishers and Emmas trench coats (with her black outfit). Apparently, the coats stick to the backs of the characters legs.
I have also heard that Gaz is planning to fix it eventually. The Punisher outfit would be pretty good then, I'd imagine.

their coats have no bones (rigging) in them. New coats (like gambit) have rigging. Apparently Wolverine Enemy of the State does NOT have rigging in it.

TheDink and TylerNotDurden have expressed a desire to go back and have those coats rigged but unfortunately it sounds like the number of available warm bodies to do this is small, meaning it has to be done during downtime or on the side. But I believe TheDink stated that all new coats and capes would absolutely be rigged, which is why it's so odd that Wolvie's FC4 costume wasn't.

Vecks

doing a bit of power leveling on Hawkeye, kinda having fun? lol I dunno hes weird. One thing for sure tho, I am STILL not feeling explosive arrow, even with the piercing talent. Im not saying you guys are wrong, I just dont really care for it. I much prefer to just coat a area in gas arrows, I usually just end up not using explosive between the gas and the turret.

I think I would prefer to have a strong single target spell for bosses tbh, which do you guys reckon is stronger, tripple or rocket?

oh btw, I got a lvl 25 uru (100 dmg with physical attacks), can you upgrade these like uniques?

I don't like explosive either. I figure most other people will have some form of vulnerability anyway for group bosses. I just stick with shrieking/gas to wipe out junk mobs. And turrent/3 shot thing for anything else. I haven't tried rocket since the boost to +200% so it might be good now.

Rhaknar

The Marvel Heroes servers will be coming down for an update (Nightcrawler!!!) at 12PM PST.

oh look a proper time for a patch, doesnt affect US folk or European folk (if it fucks australians Im sorry aussies)

edit: oh wait 12pm is noon not midnight lol. they fuck us again, thanks Obama!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Chaos Warp damage negation flattened to 50% at all ranks, rather than scaling to 98%.

RIP Chaos Warp :(

Nah, it'll still be good. Just cast Ravenous Binding before warping and you should still be able to facetank most anything.

Rhaknar

dont you hatew when you get a empty midtown? as in with no other players. is that a bug or youre just unlucky with the instance you get? and is there a sure way to get another instance?

KePoW

Banned
The Marvel Heroes servers will be coming down for an update (Nightcrawler!!!) at 12PM PST.

oh look a proper time for a patch, doesnt affect US folk or European folk (if it fucks australians Im sorry aussies)

Don't be so sure, who knows how long the servers will be down.

The Marvel Heroes servers will be coming down for an update (Nightcrawler!!!) at 12PM

Well looks like I'll be buying another costume today. Inb4 delays for granting NC to Adv. Pack owners.

Nah, it'll still be good. Just cast Ravenous Binding before warping and you should still be able to facetank most anything.

Dunno about that. Going from 98% reduction to 50% means you'll be taking 25 times more damage.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Well looks like I'll be buying another costume today. Inb4 delays for granting NC to Adv. Pack owners.

Dunno about that. Going from 98% reduction to 50% means you'll be taking 25 times more damage.

Yeah but let's be honest, having an invincibility shield for your entire team with hardly any downtime is a bit OP. It's still a hell of a group buff if you've got an SW in your team. I wish the damage would go back up a tiny bit to compensate, if only 10-15%. I'm not going to be mad about not being able to drink in power cosmic in cosmic terminals and laugh at it, it was OP. I don't think the power was ever intended as a Boss Killer.

Rhaknar

any word on how much the Emma Pheonix costume is? I want it bad but Im not using emma atm so dunno if Ill buy it

And I better get my classic NC costume straight away from the deluxe pack

Make that 44 on Hawkeye, just before the downtime :)

LuuKyK

any word on how much the Emma Pheonix costume is? I want it bad but Im not using emma atm so dunno if Ill buy it

43 on Hawkeye, trucking along I guess.

950G I think, from what I saw on Test Center.

And honestly, the costume doesn't look that good. The concept is cool, but in-game the gold part is just meh. I didn't like it at all.

Yeah but let's be honest, having an invincibility shield for your entire team with hardly any downtime is a bit OP. It's still a hell of a group buff if you've got an SW in your team. I wish the damage would go back up a tiny bit to compensate, if only 10-15%. I'm not going to be mad about not being able to drink in power cosmic in cosmic terminals and laugh at it, it was OP. I don't think the power was ever intended as a Boss Killer.

Oh no doubt the move was just too good, just commenting on the fact that SW will definitely be dying now (particularly in cosmic terminals).

any word on how much the Emma Pheonix costume is

950G

The concept is cool, but in-game the gold part is just meh. I didn't like it at all.

I actually think the coloring on the gold part is one of the things they nailed.

borghe

it's just like any other bundle. He'll show up in your list with his default costume equipped, and his stash will show up in your stash with his alternate (classic) costume(s) in it.

SirKhalid

Did you guys see the version that someone edited on the forum? It is pretty cool.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/56786/phoenix-five-is-coming-updated/p8

fpq0.png

Rhaknar

it's just like any other bundle. He'll show up in your list with his default costume equipped, and his stash will show up in your stash with his alternate (classic) costume(s) in it.

I know that part, its the delay part im worried about :)

Did you guys see the version that someone edited on the forum? It is pretty cool.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/56786/phoenix-five-is-coming-updated/p8

fpq0.png

its better but its also easy to photoshop something, not so much to actually model (especially the hair). I dunno, I understand why people do these things, but you could photoshop any costume (or anything in any game) to make it look better. Reminds me of the silly Diablo 3 photoshops to make it darker.

950G I think, from what I saw on Test Center.
950G

I actually think the coloring on the gold part is one of the things they nailed.

thanks guys, gonna try and sell some more steam cards and buy 500g to add to my 575g and get it even if Im not using her atm (she IS one of the characters I would use at 60 when I get around to doing that anyway)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That photoshopped hair looks terrible. People get really worked up about the hair in this game for some reason. When do you even notice that when you're actually playing the game?

The Sims 3 expansion pack: Marvel Heroes. Build a house for your hero! Style your hero to your heart's content! Develop a rich and fulfilling civilian life!

KePoW

Banned
Also the photoshop artist said he reduced the breast size because he likes a "smaller" January Jones style Emma.

All I have to say about that is... BOOOO. January Jones was horrible.

borghe

I thought the breasts looked REALLY large (but fine, I mean it's emma f-ing-frost.) in the t-pose also, but when TheDink released the posed pic I didn't see anything wrong with them. That t-pose export is really bad (as they almost always are).

I also didn't think the hair was as bad as many were fearing, again attributing it to the t-pose, but you can actually see it's a decent length in the other pic where she is posed.

and yeah, it's easy to apply some photoshopping to a pic to spruce it up. It's entirely different altogether to apply that to textures which then have to be mapped over 3D models and have various filtering, lighting and shaders applied to them.

Rhaknar

did we see any pics of NC classic costume in game? was it in the test server?

LuuKyK

I thought the breasts looked REALLY large (but fine, I mean it's emma f-ing-frost.) in the t-pose also, but when TheDink released the posed pic I didn't see anything wrong with them. That t-pose export is really bad (as they almost always are).

I also didn't think the hair was as bad as many were fearing, again attributing it to the t-pose, but you can actually see it's a decent length in the other pic where she is posed.

and yeah, it's easy to apply some photoshopping to a pic to spruce it up. It's entirely different altogether to apply that to textures which then have to be mapped over 3D models and have various filtering, lighting and shaders applied to them.

As much as I like the photo shopped hair, I have to agree with the last part. Seems like the hair would be hard to implement without some weird clipping. Here is what TheDink said on the forum:

Although the hair looks great in a 2D drawing it is near impossible to achieve that in game. First off it lays over her shoulders, we cannot do that unless we build the hair laying on the shoulders and then hair will always remain on the shoulders thus clipping will happen with all animations.

To make decent hair you need a lot of poly's and it has to be modeled in such a way so the rigger can rig the hair to bones since we have very little dynamics for the hair. The closest to that we have would be Black Widow's Thunderbolts hair.

As for all this model I do not know which ref the character Artist used but again it was approved by Marvel and no matter what the Artist may have come up with their intention was NOT to make everyone mad or to displease everyone, and not everybody is going to be satisfied.

Just putting in my 2 cents.

So I guess that is a no for any long hair that goes in front/contact with the shoulders?

did we see any pics of NC classic costume in game? was it in the test server?

It is. I tried it. Looks good I guess. Found a short video showing it.

inky

I have about 1200 ES right now. I think I'm going to get the 2 600 ES heroes I don't own (GR & SM), and then get the rest of the 400 ones at more a regular pace just by playing. I still have a few Gs so I can wait for a character sale too.

The only one I'm going to have to get on a pack is Gambit because I really hate his default costume.
_________

edit: patch is up, 280 Mb. (servers are not tho).

Ploid 3.0

I don't like explosive either. I figure most other people will have some form of vulnerability anyway for group bosses. I just stick with shrieking/gas to wipe out junk mobs. And turrent/3 shot thing for anything else. I haven't tried rocket since the boost to +200% so it might be good now.

Explosive is very good at trash, more so when it's a group and not one or 2.

Again I don't solely use explosive arrows.

Shrieking > Gas > explosive about 2 times.

All while holding down pym arrows basic. If i just do gas with shrieking and run around things die slower. I also like Witch Doctor in D3, and Scarlet Witch so doing this type of stuff is fun to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCs4TAJW2Q&feature=youtu.be

I didn't have on his usual gear since I put him on hold to level lower level people for synergies then got hooked on Scarlet Witch prestige and legendary leveling. Had a bit of confusion during the boss fight and I didn't want to press the wrong button after the flash bang grenade because I wanted the bonus dmg for the claymore turret.

Also boss was level 69 and I was 63.

Rhaknar

Explosive is very good at trash, more so when it's a group and not one or 2.

Again I don't solely use explosive arrows.

Shrieking > Gas > explosive about 2 times.

All while holding down pym arrows basic. If i just do gas with shrieking and run around things die slower. I also like Witch Doctor in D3, and Scarlet Witch so doing this type of stuff is fun to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCs4TAJW2Q&feature=youtu.be

I didn't have on his usual gear since I put him on hold to level lower level people for synergies then got hooked on Scarlet Witch prestige and legendary leveling. Had a bit of confusion during the boss fight and I didn't want to press the wrong button after the flash bang grenade because I wanted the bonus dmg for the claymore turret.

Also boss was level 69 and I was 63.

so far I feel I dont need explosive, stuff just melts with gas arrow spam /shrug

KePoW

Banned
What exactly don't you like about Explosive? You don't think it's effective, or you don't like how it looks? Those are two different things.

inky

Patch Notes (abridged)

Nightcrawler

The swashbuckling, teleporting, fuzzy blue elf has joined the Marvel Heroes roster! Bamf around your enemies, wreaking havoc with two swords and your martial arts prowess. In addition, Nightcrawler can utilize the shadows to blend into stealth and surprise attack enemies!
Chinese New Year / Lunar Festival Holiday Celebration

We’re holding a special two week long event for the Chinese New Year / Lunar Festival!

Every day you login from Friday to the next two weeks after that, you will receive a daily gift of a Red Envelope. (I posted it before in the thread, so I'll skip the details for brevity. Basically you get a daily reward, new type of drop worth credits, and Mandarin drops more loot).

Hero Changes

General Changes

All Ultimate and Signature powers now trigger a short CC immunity on the user to prevent them from being interrupted by enemies.

Pet power tooltips have been rewritten to show the correct base stats for enemies (as opposed to modified damage.) Pet damage modifiers can be viewed via your stat page! Luke Cage

Hero's Call has been slightly redesigned. The power now summons the four Heroes for Hire as if their individual summon powers were at ranks equal rank in Heroes for Hire. This allows for a cleaner tooltip, and allows the Heroes for Hire to retain their auras when summoned, making this power even more potent.

Scarlet Witch

Chaos Warp damage negation flattened to 50% at all ranks, rather than scaling to 98%.

Thor

Almighty Mjolnir: Effective width increased by ~300%

Bovineheim

Zonewide Item Rarity and Special Item Find buffed to be just above Cosmic Terminals. Commander Brevik will spawn with a ranged and melee bodyguard. It's just safer that way. Brevik's loot buffed by 1000%. He is the big boss.

More blue elites and yellow elites will spawn in Bovineheim, which are tougher but have better loot.

Chests in Bovineheim will be double quality chests.

Doop will now spawn in Bovinehim. It's like a vacation paradise to him.

Cosmic Terminals

The chest rewards for Bounty Hunter missions in Cosmic Terminals will now drop the intended, much, much better loot.

Fixed an issue where destructibles were counting towards Cosmic Terminal Bounty Hunter missions.

Item Changes

Cape of the Stormcrafter: Fixed a bug that prevented the spirit regen on basic from proc'ing.

Hand Assassin Ninja Tabi: Fixed a bug that caused the 1 minute cooldown to on the invisibility effect be much shorter than intended. The cooldown is now correctly 1 minute.

Legendary Quests

Our mission team has made improvements to various Legendary Quests.

X-Defense

Slowed down the spawn rate of AIM, Doombot and Hand waves.

Increased the spawn rate of Dinosaurs, Brood, Cliffwalkers, Sentinels and MGH.

Fixed various issues with the Taskmaster wave in X-Defense.

Health bar added to Doop.

Blob's hit points reduced.

Improved messaging on split waves . Reduced cooldown on wave types.

Reduced spawn speed on split waves and Lavamen spawners.

Removed erroneous appearance of Taskmaster in one of the mercenary waves. He remains in the other.

Increased requirement count for Dinosaur deaths to 75 to take into account the addition of regular raptor mobs.

Increased minimum distance mobs that target students can appear at.

Optimizations

This patch features various optimizations, including a fix for a source of “hitching” during character loading.

Bug Fixes

Fixed issues with multiple powers going on cooldown without activating the power (such as Captain America’s Airborne Assault (and many powers like it).

An issue with Iron Man’s One-Off and Thor’s Anti-Force Blast where their damage was reduced in the previous patch has been fixed.

Jean Grey and Scarlet Witch no longer linger in combat poses for such a long time.

Fixed an issue where certain ‘cells’ in the world would appear all black.

And several more...

Top Bottom