• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

JayEH

The biggest fucking crime of all (outside of Chun-Li's...everything) is the lack of artwork for this game. No awesome Shinkiro art makes me so damn salty. All we have is the Cap Marvel, Ryu, Iron Man, X poster, the meth renders, and the damn cover. Nothing else.

Definitely sucks. Everything about this game is just missing style in general.

BadWolf

The biggest fucking crime of all (outside of Chun-Li's...everything) is the lack of artwork for this game. No awesome Shinkiro art makes me so damn salty. All we have is the Cap Marvel, Ryu, Iron Man, X poster, the meth renders, and the damn cover. Nothing else.

SFV doesn't have much art work either. There's the Bengus stuff but it doesn't look like he cares.

Very disappointing since we used to get so much iconic Capcom artwork out of Akiman, Kinu Nishimura, Shinkiro etc. across many games.

SFV doesn't have much art work either. There's the Bengus stuff but it doesn't look like he cares.

Very disappointing since we used to get so much iconic Capcom artwork out of Akiman, Kinu Nishimura, Shinkiro etc. across many games.

Yeah, I somehow forgot about that. Shinkiro did some art for the Japanese Collector's Edition of SFV, I believe, but that was it.

I was certain he'd be back since he's always had extensive art for the Vs series. His TVC/MVC3 art was amazing. I didn't really like his art back in the CVS days, but his style had gotten much better since. Looks like they're just using 3D renders for Infinite. Sucks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I dont really care about vets getting axed if theres lots of interesting newcomers to replace them but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

MvC3 had a lot of awesome newcomers: Dormammu, Deadpool, Super Skrull, Taskmaster, Dante, Wesker, C.Viper, Amaterasu.

Thats without counting UMvC3 characters which were mostly newcomers too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Legitimately worried about the longevity of the game.

I really want the game to be successful so they could have the longevity for the supports they planned for the game. I would like to see them trying to expand the games with more characters, mostly fan-favorite characters and oddball choices as well.

On first hand, I think we shouldn't worry about it since they already signed the license for next few years so they probably are going to do it regardless how bad the sales could be. On other hand, they could just decide to cease the development due to the funds because they didn't make enough money back to further their DLC development.

Capcom and Marvel are playing with a fire with the service updates since it could go either way.

Anth0ny

Maaaan....this whole situation sucks.

From the stupid Marvel suits and their pettiness, to Capcom being unable to not cause self-inflicting wounds, to the pants on head stupid shilling accusations...

just.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Can't get over how astoundingly bad this looks all-around.

Legitimately worried about the longevity of the game.

I don't think it's worth getting worried about longevity this early in the game.

That first week will be everything. When the players get their hands on the game and really start labbing everything, we'll know if there's some fucked up dumb shit, OR if a bunch of stuff we've been worrying about isn't really a big deal.

Just playing the waiting game right now. I've been through too many of these launch cycles for fighting games to get too worked up pre-launch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Capcom really has no excuse not to include Doc Ock after Brainiac's implementation in Injustice 2. I'm also assuming 2v2 is far less technically taxing than 3v3, so hopefully the issues that prevented Doc Ock from being completed in MvC3 are no longer a concern.

Damn right.

I wonder if they'll bring this stage back in some way with characters from 3 petrified in the background as cameos (like the Days of Future Past poster in UMVC3)

Alright, I see Thor, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch and Nova. Who are the 5th one?

Of course not, I'm referring to how much traction/new players this game will bring because of the extreme negative press surrounding it. To the point where even folks like JamesChen feel like they apparently can't get their own 2 cents on the matter taken seriously. I just don't like the look of any of this and what this could potentially entail for the game or scene, if it does at all.

It's all pre-release frustration. Some rightfully so and some overblown. By the time the game comes out the pros play it and show off what the game can really do and all the hot take cynicism will be toned down.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Damn, I actually forget all about his old design. I think I actually prefer his new design nowadays.

ycb13W6.jpg

Seyavesh

worrying about the competitive future of the game should be a thing, but it's hard to pin down the gameplay quality as a reason for that at the moment given how there's a giant dichotomy between folks who have played the vs. demo and those who have only played the story demo. especially given the conditions of the vs. demo being available (the showfloor effect is extremely fuckin' real for FGs and the demo is unbelievably garbage)

what should be worrying is that there potentially isn't going to be any new blood or growth from this game- usually folks jump over from casual players to competitive players out of love for the game but that entails giving the game a chance first.

it's a love of the game as a whole that usually creates that transition. if the initial perception of the game is that low and there's just overall less stuff to like about it then it's less likely to draw actual competitors out of casual players just by the pure population size being lower

Skilletor

Street Fighter 5 is nearing its 3rd year.

UMvC3 was played forever with TACs, Zero, Vergil, and morrigan

MvC2 lasted forever with like 7 playable characters on a tournament level.

I ain't worried.

MrCarter

Might not be as great as some of the Alpha and Third Strike art but I still thought SFV stuff was nice.

sfv-ryu-and-ken-sfv-brotherhood-of-fury-by-artgerm.jpg

tumblr_o1afa5O7wT1spshhyo1_500.jpg

aUHBOKw_d.jpg

sfv-bengus-story-artwork.jpg

Not official but I like this original cover art done with their in-game models:

8qju5Dn_d.jpg

Then we also have a lot of character and concept too:

chunli-sf5-artwork-wide.jpg

fang-sfv-artwork.jpg

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/streetfighter5-p3.html

I like the idea of all the stages being merged in some form. The fetus stage is great, but I think it would be awesome if it were somehow merged with a Dark Dimension stage if Jedah and Dormammu are really a "pair".

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm pretty sure there will be. Game is still 3 months away.

I doubt there is (or will be) any art assets that aren't 3D renders, actually. They would have shown something if there was anything.

There's no precedent for artwork to randomly turn up during the last 3 months before release.

So, how does everyone expect Black Panther's style to look?

While I'm hyped for Sigma, BP has been someone I've been itching to see in a fighting game since forever. I'd like for him to have Vibranium Daggers as a projectile.

tribal24

Banned
So, how does everyone expect Black Panther's style to look?

While I'm hyped for Sigma, BP has been someone I've been itching to see in a fighting game since forever. I'd like for him to have Vibranium Daggers as a projectile.

i hope he is like sabertooth, a bit more of a heavier character then wolverine or i guess like alex tier still fast enough but strong with projectiles.

Vibranium Daggers as projectiles, Antimetal claws for his melee attacks. On a site its noted his Daggers could be used to mark a target so maybe he could have something that locks onto a marked target? A marked target takes extra damage? Some sort of Panther stance install hyper that gives him some sort of buffs. He'd definitely have a pounce of some sort. Maybe a wall run flip? (He can run on walls)

Stuff from other sites
"His Energy Daggers are virtual blades that can be fired, thrown, and handled like an actual knife. They have three settings: Non Lethal (blue), Stun (Green) and Lethal (Red). At its highest setting, the Energy Dagger can cut through forged steel like it was government cheese, and has been known to damage Ultron."

"Kimoyo Cards (keh-MOY-oh is a Bantu word for ”The Spirit"): These are global positioning and communications device. It can also home in on the unique energy signature Panther's Energy Dagger ”marks" his prey with."

Oh and he has a cloaking device, among other gadgets

ah, and a teleporter

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to comment something on story mode trailer. I noticed that a sand dragon from Monster Hunter had a power stone in it's mouth so it made me wonder if certain bosses are going to have their own fights where they would use their own infinity stone(s). Since we know there would be Death, Grandmaster, etc. I guess I could throw something tighter for fun.

Ultron-Sigma - Space Stone & Reality Stone
Dahren-Mohran - Power Stone
Death - Soul Stone
Grandmaster Meios - Mind Stone

I wonder who would have Time Stone?

Honestly, I love UMVC3 - and with updates and balance patches I could definitely see myself playing it for another 5 years. Unfortunately the community for it is dying and Marvel needs a new game to revitalize it.

If UMVC3 was in EVO alongside Infinite with 800+ participants similar to Melee, it would be my ideal situation but unfortunately that's just not going to happen.

sinkfla87

I want to comment something on story mode trailer. I noticed that a sand dragon from Monster Hunter had a power stone in it's mouth so it made me wonder if certain bosses are going to have their own fights where they would use their own infinity stone(s). Since we know there would be Death, Grandmaster, etc. I guess I could throw something tighter for fun.

Death - Soul Stone

Dormammu.

Strange:"Dormammu, I've come to barg-"
Dorm:"FUCK NO, NOT THIS TIME. JOKES ON YOU STEPHEN"

Death - Soul Stone

Dormammu or Jedah?

Venom would make some sense, but...it just doesn't work to make Venom like that

Crazy theory: Wesker out of nowhere with his own symbiote army mixed with the T-virus

and its Meio not Meios

Probably just like Wolverine given they have the same "function".
Nah, more like X-23 since she won't be returning.

Death - Soul Stone

If this is MCU, doesn't Dr. Strange have it in the Eye of Agamotto?

Death wouldn't have a stone. She kinda doesn't need it, seeing as she has all of their powers combined and then some.

Looks like two of Jedah, Dorm, and Venom are holding a stone. Venom is a near guarantee based on the Symbiote army, so it's either the demon or the... other demon.

^But, why would Venom have an infinity stone? It doesn't make sense. I guess it could make sense for someone to be using Venom though, perhaps Ultron-Sigma?

I wonder if each place will have a brainwashed hero fight?

Knowmoon-Zero, controlled by Meio
Valkanda-??
?? (RE/Street Level marvel)-Winter Soldier makes sense
Xgard-??
?? (Dr. Strange/Darkstalkers): ???

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Was Death ever really an enemy at all in the comics? I'm not sure if she will be anything more than an NPC, but who knows?

Well, I'm not well-versed with Death as a character or fighter. I just assumed that she could be one of the bosses.

If this is MCU, doesn't Dr. Strange have it in the Eye of Agamotto?

They actually emphasized that story mode is going to be original story so I guess he might not have it anymore.

^But, why would Venom have an infinity stone? It doesn't make sense. I guess it could make sense for someone to be using Venom though, perhaps Ultron-Sigma?

I wonder if each place will have a brainwashed hero fight?

Knowmoon-Zero, controlled by Meio
Valkanda-??
?? (RE/Street Level marvel)-Winter Soldier makes sense
Xgard-??
?? (Dr. Strange/Darkstalkers): ???

Well Grandmaster Meio with Mind Stone could control several villains easily, like Jedah, Zero, Venom and Winter Solider. I'm still unsure about Dormammu since he's pretty powerful to not put himself in this spot.

Do you think the villains will be working together? I could see a tentative alliance (with plans to betray each other) between Ultron-Sigma and Meio I suppose

Blueblur1

Great post by Raging Spaniard in the other thread.

I dont recommend taking Producer speak from the US branch very seriously. They have very little power and will not take blame for anything.

For the most part, their job is to negotiate with Disney and sell you the game, so when they say "well fix her face" they dont mean shit, they have no idea the budget or implications and resources it takes to make that happen (would have to reanimate all of the story mode, for instance)

There is a high chance that they pressured Capcom Japan to have a "realistic" art style in order to compete with Injustice, clearly showing that they dont understand the market, or that you would need a much bigger budget in order to chase the level of narrative needed to compete there.

(I originally came here to post his tweet thread but this post contains the same points.)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do you think the villains will be working together? I could see a tentative alliance (with plans to betray each other) between Ultron-Sigma and Meio I suppose

I do think so and also the website said heroes and villains would have to work together to save the worlds. I'm curious which villains would teaming up with the heroes.

In the story trailer, I think Thanos says that Grandmaster Meio has the Power Stone.

Thanks for clarification. I mainly presume that Dahren-Mohran swallowed the Power Stone because of the colors itself.

XbkT6TQ.png

tangled55

Why are they pushing the narrative that MvC:I is not an "MCU-based game", when the roster revealed thus far absolutely contradicts that 100%?

While that's problematic, the lack of so far trying to implement Vision and Wanda...ya know...actually UNIQUE characters in the MCU is such a crime and really bizarre. Vision and Wanda should be in over copy-pasta Nova and fucking Ant-Man.

Ant. man. It just makes me sick.

Top Bottom