• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

Damn it why did I go into the reveal thread.

Do we have any details on just what is going on with the mind stone? Sorry just catching up one everything after work.

McNum

Fun Fact: Robot characters like Casshan, Volnutt and Zero can steal Roll's Energy Pellet in TvC. I want to say PTX-40A can as well.
Yeah, it made teaming her up with Zero amusing, even at my level. And with this game having X, Zero, Sigma, and Ultron already... her options for a robot buddy are pretty good.

I'd buy TvC Roll as DLC the instant she was available and run an X/Roll team.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't know what "interesting picks" means, but Jedah, Gamora, Ultron, Sigma, and Ulton Sigma were definitely out-of-left field.

Gamora, Ultron and Sigma are definitely not out-of-the-left-field, Jedah is in my opinion uninteresting as presented in this game. Ultron Sigma is not a character as far as we know.

We only have 6 new characters in the base roster and those are Cpt. Marvel (was obviously gonna be included with Marvel's current push, she's neat), Gamora (not expected but not surprising, she looks okay but really has nothing special so far?), Ultron ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ drones are neat), X (neat AF, finally here), Jedah (cool character, boring implementation as far as we've seen) and Hunter (we have no idea about this).

We have no weird picks at all. No M.O.D.O.K.-like character, not even an Amaterasu-type. I guess Rocket is a bit weird but they neutered his traps and added Groot to do nothing interesting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also only 4 women is ridic

I'm looking at this from business perceptive so I think Capcom want to save some popular and heavily requested characters like Wesker, Vergil, Asura, Gene, Dare Devil, The Punisher, Ms. Marvel, etc for future downloadable contents so they could convince the fans to pick up the bundle(s) or pack(s).

For example, She-Hulk and Phoenix Wright, they might able to sell the bundle more than they could sell them separately. So they could put Wesker with obscure marvel character that some people might not give a damn about, so the fans would pick them up together because they are bundled. I know it's a dirty business but it's my prediction that they would do it so they would get people to buy their products.

That's their plan for "Infinite" service to have many new characters being adding to top of the roster over the time.

The better business move would be to bring in a good amount of fan favorites in the base roster so people will buy the game from the jump. I feel like doing it this way is more likely to piss off a ton of people than convince them to buy the game.

Dahbomb

Damn it why did I go into the reveal thread.

Do we have any details on just what is going on with the mind stone? Sorry just catching up one everything after work.
Looks like the surge is a grab of sorts (wouldn't be surprised if it steals some meter) and the storm maxes out your hyper gauge to 4.

The better business move would be to bring in a good amount of fan favorites in the base roster so people will buy the game from the jump. I feel like doing it this way is more likely to piss off a ton of people than convince them to buy the game.
Yeah I am in this boat too.

J-Tier

EDIT:Looks like a few of us are in sync on this.

I'm looking at this from business perceptive so I think Capcom want to save some popular and heavily requested characters like Wesker, Vergil, Asura, Gene, Dare Devil, The Punisher, Ms. Marvel, etc for future downloadable contents so they could convince the fans to pick up the bundle(s) or pack(s).
It's not a good business plan if people don't buy the base game initially. This model only takes money from the core fans who would buy the game no matter what, there are a few of us that would buy this even if it had only 6 characters. DLC may pull in more units, but I doubt it would get the same response as a well-crafted base game with strong marketing and good word-of-mouth.

Dahbomb

Wait so the double gamora wasn't from the stone?
No that's her regular install hyper (same as Sogenmu).

The video was just edited in a weird way but you can see it clearly if you rewatch it. I made the same mistake as you initially and that's probably why we heard before that Mind stone creates a clone.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Wait so the double gamora wasn't from the stone?

She's just the same function as Zero.

t's not a good business plan if people don't buy the base game initially. This model only takes money from the core fans who would buy the game no matter what, there are a few of us that would buy this even if it had only 6 characters. DLC may pull in more units, but I doubt it would get the same response as a well-crafted base game with strong marketing and good word-of-mouth.

Worst part about this is, the "infinite" expansion will bleed people dry if there's no free way of obtaining characters. If they plan on this game to last years as a service, character DLC will add up, not even counting all of the "premium costumes" and shit.

Seriously, people keep referring to future DLC, but will Disney keep the deal going long enough for that to happen if the game can't impress on the day 1 sales and first month chart position?

JayEH

Seriously, people keep referring to future DLC, but will Disney keep the deal going long enough for that to happen if the game can't impress on the day 1 sales and first month chart position?

Doubt it. Marvel 3 did well and even that got killed early.

I understand Marvel was in a different place back then still it's concerning.

Jawmuncher

For example, She-Hulk and Phoenix Wright, they might able to sell the bundle more than they could sell them separately. So they could put Wesker with obscure marvel character that some people might not give a damn about, so the fans would pick them up together because they are bundled. I know it's a dirty business but it's my prediction that they would do it so they would get people to buy their products.

That's their plan for "Infinite" service to have many new characters being adding to top of the roster over the time.

Yeah that's more than likely the case here. I fully expect we see a large majority of the MVC3 cast make it in. However I do feel that capcom might've been a bit misguided. Since after all you want people to be on board so that they buy the said DLC. Since a lot of the profit does happen Day one

Skab

No that's her regular install hyper (same as Sogenmu).

The video was just edited in a weird way but you can see it clearly if you rewatch it. I made the same mistake as you initially and that's probably why we heard before that Mind stone creates a clone.

Oh, weird.

Wonder what the grab does then? It has to be something other than just a simple grab, otherwise why bother.

She's just the same function as Zero.

go away

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I totally agreed with you on the matters strongly but I'm just trying to figure what the heck they were thinking with certain decisions they made with the game. If I was in a charge of the game, I would do same as you mentioned but it's out of our hands and it's close to end of the development for base game so nothing we could change it. They are completely deaf-tone with what we requested. They can't even strike a balance between certain things they promised.

Dahbomb

It might be a command grab and if so it gives characters an additional mix up option that they might not have. Imagine Magnet- err I mean Nova having a command grab.

It probably steals meter and you can combo off of it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm not sure what kind of contracts they made. I made the assumption based on the interviews that they probably already made the agreement for next few years so I guess they wouldn't pull the plug on their plans for DLC during 2018. If it still don't do very well at the end of 2018 then they might ended up dropping their plans with it.

Disney have no power over this deal, just let you know. It's all on Marvel Games team who handled the deals, etc. Disney already emphasized that they would stay out of Marvel's business if they are doing very well on their owns.

SaikyoBro

We really don't need the "Jedah, Sigma, Gamora, etc. were all obvious from the start!" stuff rn, it's reminding me of when people were saying Wii Fit Trainer in Smash Bros. was guaranteed. Maybe none of them are completely shocking on their own but in context I think most of this game's newcomers are really distinct and well-implemented. Asura and Gene would be considered obvious picks as well but I don't think people would be trying to sell them short the way they are with the current newcomers.

Yeah, your assessment on Capcom's plans seems to be the most accurate, Intelli.

This just takes us back to Capcom apparently learning nothing from their previous woes. I'd really like to know why they insist on making things so difficult when they don't need to be. This is a Marvel Vs game. An endless hype train is how things are supposed to be.

Like J said, most of us are in because we want to play a new Marvel, but we're not the ones Capcom needs to be worried about. With the way word of mouth is for this game, they have a long road ahead of them. I really don't know why Capcom does the things they do.

Agreed. I should be a lock-in purchaser of this game being a Marvel fan since COTA but due to the problems I'm seeing, I'm still on the fence. If I'm on the fence, I bet the majority of the audience they're targeting is as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Worst part about this is, the "infinite" expansion will bleed people dry if there's no free way of obtaining characters. If they plan on this game to last years as a service, character DLC will add up, not even counting all of the "premium costumes" and shit.

Yeah, it's going to bleed quite a lot of wallets whoever are loyal enough to stuck with the product(s), mainly tournament hosts, marvel fans, versus fans, etc. I'm curious how many game they would able to sell within a year. I'm still thinking they would able to sell like 1-1.2M within 16 months. That's still my prediction for the sales.

Worst part is it's proven that not every customers would purchase the DLC contents so I'm curious how much they would able to sell DLC toward to the customers at the end. If the sales with downloadable contents isn't doing very well then I could foresee that their development would be halt early.

Dahbomb

I think with the tag system and the stones, even older characters that are put in without minimal changes will feel different. Moves you thought that sucked before are suddenly much better now.

Agreed. I should be a lock-in purchaser of this game being a Marvel fan since COTA but due to the problems I'm seeing, I'm still on the fence. If I'm on the fence, I bet the majority of the audience they're targeting is as well.

I know a lot of people that feel this way. Many of them actually like the system changes, but everything else.............

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so SDCC floor build has gamora, jedah (well one assumes if it has gamora, it has jedah), haggar, nemesis, spidey and frank in it right?

edit: or maybe even more if more get revealed with jedah at the capcom panel

Zero-ELEC

Banned
We really don't need the "Jedah, Sigma, Gamora, etc. were all obvious from the start!" stuff rn, it's reminding me of when people were saying Wii Fit Trainer in Smash Bros. was guaranteed. Maybe none of them are completely shocking on their own but in context I think most of this game's newcomers are really distinct and well-implemented. Asura and Gene would be considered obvious picks as well but I don't think people would be trying to sell them short the way they are with the current newcomers.

To be fair Asura and Gene are boring.

I'm kinda not joking.

so SDCC floor build has gamora, jedah (well one assumes if it has gamora, it has jedah), haggar, nemesis, spidey and frank in it right?

edit: or maybe even more if more get revealed with jedah at the capcom panel

Tomorrow they're updating, probably with tomorrow's "reveal"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
EDIT:Looks like a few of us are in sync on this.

It's not a good business plan if people don't buy the base game initially. This model only takes money from the core fans who would buy the game no matter what, there are a few of us that would buy this even if it had only 6 characters. DLC may pull in more units, but I doubt it would get the same response as a well-crafted base game with strong marketing and good word-of-mouth.

Yup, it's not good business plan but they already make their bed with it. I could see that they might recoup eventually when they are done with development but they wouldn't make any good sales in term of how badly they botched with their game right now.

People are still upset or/and disappointed with the product currently, and mainly with their decision-making abilities being somewhat questionable. So I think they already lost many customers that way but I'm surprised that they aren't trying to salvage that and try to attract the customers back. I think their brand is damaged and the deal's done. It would be a huge tragedy if Infinite is going to be last game in the franchise lifespan.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the fact that the floor demo wont be the new one until tomorow gives even more fuel to the "more reveals tomorow" fire, because otherwise why not just have the new demo now.... fuuuuuuuuuuu we will all be crushed when theres nothing new wont we lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait, why does Gamora need a Sogenmu style super? There's so many ways to achieve that "more hits" result than simply after-hit shadows. Why not heavier blows, more hits like Chun in SFV, or doubling up the nozzle on her gun so it shot 2 bullets rather than one? Nothing to hate on, but, errr.. just feels kinda there so far. Of course it'll be fun to use.

At any rate, I'm not really bothered by the re-used characters. It's cool to see Haggar back, And Frank's improvements should make him even better. But it does feel really weird to use the same designs and such for the characters, when new versions and looks are plentiful. Not that I'd want a highly changed Frank over his classic self. But they're really sticking to the "nostalgic" looks so far.

This game could have avoided almost all comparisons to UMVC3 if it just used modern character skins for the old returning functi characters. Of course, would that have been universally better? Ironheart over Ironman would have been cool with me, but DMC Dante over actual Dante would... well, does he even look like actual Dante ATM? ;)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah that's more than likely the case here. I fully expect we see a large majority of the MVC3 cast make it in. However I do feel that capcom might've been a bit misguided. Since after all you want people to be on board so that they buy the said DLC. Since a lot of the profit does happen Day one

Exactly. That's why it's very interesting to see what would happens within first two months in term of sales.

Yeah, your assessment on Capcom's plans seems to be the most accurate, Intelli.

This just takes us back to Capcom apparently learning nothing from their previous woes. I'd really like to know why they insist on making things so difficult when they don't need to be. This is a Marvel Vs game. An endless hype train is how things are supposed to be.

Like J said, most of us are in because we want to play a new Marvel, but we're not the ones Capcom needs to be worried about. With the way word of mouth is for this game, they have a long road ahead of them. I really don't know why Capcom does the things they do.

Well, they apparently learned their lesson with single player contents so we are getting story mode and arcade mode this time but everything else, it just seems to be backward. I meant when they listened to the fans' complaints, they really swing way too left instead of trying to strike perfect balance between both sides.

Heck, I don't even know what's going on with the product and everything else. I'm trying to make the best out of this situation since I truly love the franchise but heck, I'm not going to be blind to their flaws and issues.

However, I should be happy that I'm getting few obscure characters back (Firebrand, Arthur, Haggar, etc) but it doesn't meant I would agree with what Capcom did. Also they actually made some characters' movesets even much better, like Frank West's tripon and Thor's hammer throw.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
UMVC3 had like 31 newcomers out of 50. It was quite unprecedented.

Well, It's to be expected, especially with the fact they went with new battle engine and graphic, so they have to make every characters from scratch so it would encourage them to make more newcomers for the game to bring so much varieties to the game.

When the company have an ability to reuse the datas then they are more compelling to reuse it for future iterations, like we see with Blazblue, Tekken, etc. So Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite is basically "sequel" to Ultimate Marvel Vs. CApcom 3 so it's to be expected that we would have so many veterans.

sephi22

That infinity storm sounds useless if infinity storms still give you a free level 3.
Unless it's unlimited meter in the storm and you get to keep 4 bars out of it.

Or maybe it's exclusively for when they add Dark Phoenix

tribal24

Banned
That infinity storm sounds useless if infinity storms still give you a free level 3.

damn imagine phoenix with this, i can't even ..

JmK1k.gif

I’m 99% sure my source has old information. He obviously knows what he’s talking about (Jedah and Gamora speak for themselves), but he told me that the Mind Stone’s Infinity Storm created a copy of your character. I’m thinking it was deemed too powerful and replaced fairly recently, because this new Infinity Storm looks really lazy. I’m also starting to get worried that Ant-Man was cut.
Your source is working on trailers. He's either an editor or just a cutter.

How do I know? He saw the Gamora bit where she activated the stone surge, but didn't notice that Gamora's custom combo super had a unique super flash before she started. He assumed that the Mind Storm was her custom combo, but what he saw wasn't far enough completed that the part when the actual Storm flash comes up didn't make clear what it did exactly.

TLDR: Your source's mistake makes his exact position clear and kills his anonymity. Tell him to stop assuming shit and stay on the low for now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Not really. If you could get 4 bars and free level 3 so that's essentially 7 bars which is pretty intense.

Jawmuncher

Your source is working on trailers. He's either an editor or just a cutter.

How do I know? He saw the Gamora bit where she activated the stone surge, but didn't notice that Gamora's custom combo super had a unique super flash before she started. He assumed that the Mind Storm was her custom combo, but what he saw wasn't far enough completed that the part when the actual Storm flash comes up didn't make clear what it did exactly.

TLDR: Your source's mistake makes his exact position clear and kills his anonymity. Tell him to stop assuming shit and stay on the low for now.

Doesn't make sense since he didn't see the other characters here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Maybe it's for Dormammu.

Much like free lockdown (space) and a free damage boost (power), having your options choked by the amount of meter (don't) have is definitely something you see at high levels of play and something that's hard to say no to.

I just imagined Dormammu with the time stone too, the amount of stuff he could throw out there is probably biblical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom