• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laws00

What do people actually want from this in ways of characters?

People want new characters but also want some old ones

People don't old characters and they don't want new ones

And functions functions characters that have functions.

This game is going to be something when it comes out lol

RedBoot

Easy.

If it's a Street Fighter game, everyone wants old characters and no new characters.

If it's a Marvel game, everyone wants new characters and no old characters.

Dahbomb

People want their personal characters in first and foremost.

Jawmuncher

For these sort of fan service games a mix of old and new is the way to go. Here there's just way too many of MVC3 in here and not enough balance and diversification in the picks character wise.

Only 6 newcomers in the base roster and 4 female characters is not a good balance imo.

Neoxon

I almost forgot, Robbie Daymond (likely MvCI Spidey) also voiced Mumen Rider in the English dub for One Punch Man.

A good amount of the whining comes from people wanting the same game with a new coat of paint and some new characters.

Some of the whining comes from people wanting a new game, with a new coat of paint, and some old/new characters.

Some people just want to be hipsters and want characters from obscure games that maybe 20 people played.

Some people whine just to be whining.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

...what?

People expected interesting picks, out-of-the-left-field picks and safe picks. We only got safe picks.

Also we expected more than three newcomers per side.

I want a game that looks new, not like 90% of its roster is cribbed directly from the previous game with minor changes. So either returning characters that look new, or brand new characters. This game, so far, has exactly zero of the former and very few of the latter and it Sucks.

They're copying so much from MvC3 I don't understand why we've shed half of its roster? Surely they could just copy the rest of it as well?

Anth0ny

I want all the old characters and new characters

smash more or less has it figured out. some of the old characters are sacrificed and it stings but they make up for it with the newcomers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spidey seems to fall in the "looks great" category it seems (graphically) and as usual, to balance it, Nemesis seems to fall in the "wtf Capcom?" category...

Dahbomb

Roster is going to be fine when this game finishes releases with all the DLC. It's getting there is the hard part.

They seem to be focusing on new characters in the DLC.

As far as this new current roster goes... it's safe but solid. There is a lack of diversity in representation but you have enough play styles and functions. I think I would've changed around maybe 4 of the characters in the roster and kept rest of the same assuming the MCU/Marvel/XMen constraint.

There is a big difference between the original 28 and this new 34 character roster. Those 6 characters fill in the gap much better because they include characters like Dormammu (spell based, zoner), Ghost Rider (keep away, long limbs character), Haggar (grappler which Capcom side lacked) and Frank West (unique level up mechanic).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm opent to anything. I would love to see many veterans coming back since they are great choices like Haggar, Frank West, etc, and I would love to see newcomers getting their shot in Versus games as well. I'm totally open to anyone that would bring a lot of flavors to the game so I don't understand the hates.

People are being nitpick just heck out of it.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Spidey seems to fall in the "looks great" category it seems (graphically) and as usual, to balance it, Nemesis seems to fall in the "wtf Capcom?" category...

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one who thought Nemesis looked bad. I mean I know it's off-screen but...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want a game that looks new, not like 90% of its roster is cribbed directly from the previous game with minor changes. So either returning characters that look new, or brand new characters. This game, so far, has exactly zero of the former and very few of the latter and it Sucks.

They're copying so much from MvC3 I don't understand why we've shed half of its roster? Surely they could just copy the rest of it as well?

Only reason why there are so many newcomers in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 because the game itself is made from the scratch so it would make sense why they are going to reuse the characters and assets from previous title for next iteration.

It's so weird that everyone suddenly expected 50-70% of the roster to be filled out with newcomers which is unrealistic at best.

I could see Venom being held back until the very end....but who knows

We started with X and Captain Marvel
Maybe we'll end with Gene and Venom (top 4ish requests for UMVC3 (that weren't mutants))

JayEH

Only reason why there are so many newcomers in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 because the game itself is made from the scratch so it would make sense why they are going to reuse the characters and assets from previous title for next iteration.

It's so weird that everyone suddenly expected 50-70% of the roster to be filled out with newcomers which is unrealistic at best.

Injustice 2 was able to have most of the cast be newcomers.

Jawmuncher

I'm opent to anything. I would love to see many veterans coming back since they are great choices like Haggar, Frank West, etc, and I would love to see newcomers getting their shot in Versus games as well. I'm totally open to anyone that would bring a lot of flavors to the game so I don't understand the hates.

People are being nitpick just heck out of it.

I think a fair amount of the criticism is valid. Unless someone is like "Entire roster sucks not one person id play". Most in here seem to be pretty standard on it in here. A lot of the roster is boring to me. But the few newcomers who did make it in interest me at least.

As for newcomers talk themselves. I don't think it was unrealistic to expect more newcomers. Especially when we have an entire firstborn DLC pack being just that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Ideally, what MvC3 did. About a third new characters, with the returning characters a mix of fan favourites, but not just obvious returns. And Wolverine.

Dahbomb

There's no denying the following faults with the roster:

*Not enough newcomers.
*Not enough diversity (in series and in gender/race)
*No X Men/Fox characters.

But beyond that I think it's shaping up to be an ok roster. Most of the characters in the game are in fact fan favorites and more importantly are very popular characters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope that if im alive in 10 years, I am here to see people saying "omg Spiderman wont be in MvC4" right until near the release because once again, they wont announcehim until the end :3

In the trash where he belongs.

What other fighting game has had a character with shrinking and growing as a moveset?

Ant-Man could be the most interesting addition to the entire game.

Certainly more than guns and a sword Gamora or shoots beams Ultron and Captain Marvel.

I'm eager to see Atom in Injustice 2 as well.

Jawmuncher

*Not enough newcomers.

But beyond that I think it's shaping up to be an ok roster. Most of the characters in the game are in fact fan favorites and more importantly are very popular characters.

To me this goes back to the whole "We expect more from capcom" angle. In another game a OK roster would be fine. But for a MVC:I game especially after SFV people want more than just ok. Can't really blame them when capcom wants their money after all.

There hasn't been a new female character on the Capcom side since vanilla MvC3. That's pretty fucked up.

OMG you're right. That's fucked up.

RedBoot

*Not enough newcomers.

It's kind of funny, even without knowing 2/3s of the initial DLC pack, if they were in the base roster, it would help so much.

I still think it's ridiculous for Sigma to be DLC when he's one of the main villains.

If you're copying assets, surely that should allow for more development to go into new characters? Or at least tweaking old characters to make them feel substantially different? I see little to no reason why they couldn't have copied the roster from UMvC3 wholesale with some minor tweaks along the lines of what we're seeing from the veterans, plus adding around 10-15 newcomers as well. Smash Bros. pulls it off, why can't Capcom with a less feature-rich game, a more fighting game-talented team, and the backing of Disney?

And if they feel the need to axe half of MvC3 for whatever reason, then half the roster absolutely should be newcomers to get it back up to a similar size. As it is MvCI is just looking to be a major step down at best and a blatant cash grab for DLC at worst. That characters in the story are being held ransom for a quick buck is utterly insulting.

Dahbomb

They are clearly playing the long game when it comes to the roster.

The roster and its issues are going to be alleviated a lot when the X Men DLCs start rolling in.

And yeah having those 6 DLC characters in the base game would've helped this game a lot. Sigma and Black Panther are highly requested and big enough characters to really bolster your package (and they are brand new).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

*Not enough newcomers.

I wholly agree.

#2 is basically a product of #3 and general lack of prominent female characters relative to males in games/comics general, though.

Jawmuncher

If you're copying assets, surely that should allow for more development to go into new characters? Or at least tweaking old characters to make them feel substantially different? I see little to no reason why they couldn't have copied the roster from UMvC3 wholesale with some minor tweaks along the lines of what we're seeing from the veterans, plus adding around 10-15 newcomers as well. Smash Bros. pulls it off, why can't Capcom with a less feature-rich game, a more fighting game-talented team, and the backing of Disney?

And if they feel the need to axe half of MvC3 for whatever reason, then half the roster absolutely should be newcomers to get it back up to a similar size. As it is MvCI is just looking to be a major step down at best and a blatant cash grab for DLC at worst. That characters in the story are being held ransom for a quick buck is utterly insulting.

The game definitely seems to have a bit of "having to make deadlines" feel around it. Hell I think why we might see so much DLC next year is that they'll basically be doing what you just said and having more or less everyone return from MVC3 that didn't make it this time.

Explains the bigger oddities like no Wesker and Vergil.

Dahbomb

Wesker and Vergil are clearly DLC. Like there is 0 doubt in my mind. Vergil is always DLC anyway, I would've been shocked if he actually made it into the base roster).

They need popular enough characters to go along with the X Men.

Wolverine + Vergil (they even paired them up in UMVC3)
Magneto + Wesker (purple villains lol)
Storm + Trish (lightning ladies) (or throw in C Viper like they paired last time)
Deadpool + Phoenix Wright (pairing in UMVC3)

These DLC packs sell by themselves. And they are all re-used assets so you know they can pump them out fast.

Rhaknar

Megaman X
Zero
Ryu
Chun Li
Spencer
Morrigan
Strider
Arthur
Chris
Dante
Jedah
Haggar
Nemesis
Frank West

Captain America
Ironmn
Thor
Hulk
Ultron
Thanos
Captain Marvel
Dr.Strange
Hawkeye
Nova
Rocket
Gamora
Spider-Man

27 confirmed. Well at least the whole 28 character roster stuff is dead in the water for sure (well technically its not yet but...you know)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Injustice 2 was able to have most of the cast be newcomers.

Eh, I think the roster is fantastic as it is but they shouldn't cut iconic veterans like Lex Luther, Batgirl, Martain Manhunter, etc.

*Not enough newcomers.

I definitely agreed with you with those three points. Put yourself in my spot, if we actually get like 50-70% newcomers in the roster for Infinite then we would see similar situation with backlashes and outcries because they would complains that their favorite veterans wouldn't be in the game. I found it hilarious that people's mentality and brief about reused assets would bring us a huge roster is just plain silly. It's not Smash Bros. Those characters still requires a lot of works to fit in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite system along with the fact they are getting new moves or so. On other hand, Smash Bros doesn't really need to change the moves because the battle engine remains same with the rules so they weren't forced to change the movesets to fit the inputs or battle engine (like 2 P, 2 K button setting)

Jawmuncher

The thing though is a good chunk of the returnees mainly on the capcom side aren't even big deals. I don't think you'd have large crowds crying over Nemesis, Spencer, Haggar, Firebrand, are typically on the chopping block for a lot of the genera people.

Not saying they should be cut. But if worthwhile newcomers such as Gene, Asura, and other fan favorites replaced them. I don't think there would be all that much complaining outside of diehards.

JayEH

Eh, I think the roster is fantastic as it is but they shouldn't cut iconic veterans like Lex Luther, Batgirl, Martain Manhunter, etc.

maybe they shouldn't have but now when Injustice 3 comes out they can bring everyone back and it will be so long since 1 that all the characters from 1 will be fresh again.

This is the route capcom should have taken with infinite and since both are super hero fighters there will be plenty of comparisons.

nded

What do you guys think of Capcom raiding TvC to pad out the roster? Batsu, Roll, Saki, Soki and PTX-40A reworked into a tag compatible character. Alex would be cool too, but he's probably too similar to Haggar.

Anth0ny

Wesker and Vergil are clearly DLC. Like there is 0 doubt in my mind. Vergil is always DLC anyway, I would've been shocked if he actually made it into the base roster).

They need popular enough characters to go along with the X Men.

Wolverine + Vergil (they even paired them up in UMVC3)
Magneto + Wesker (purple villains lol)
Storm + Trish (lightning ladies) (or throw in C Viper like they paired last time)
Deadpool + Phoenix Wright (pairing in UMVC3)

These DLC packs sell by themselves. And they are all re-used assets so you know they can pump them out fast.

Those would sell gangbusters, but I always thought 1 popular character + 1 less popular character is a better way to go just because a combo like Squirrel Girl + Franziska Von Karma would probably gather digital dust beside something like Magneto + Wesker.

But if you do Storm + Franziska and Squirrel Girl + Juri... bruh.

Jawmuncher

What do you guys think of Capcom raiding TvC to pad out the roster? Batsu, Roll, Saki, Soki and PTX-40A reworked into a tag compatible character. Alex would be cool too, but he's probably too similar to Haggar.

It'd definitely make the roster more unique. Dunno how much it'd help the general opinion though.

The thing though is a good chunk of the returnees mainly on the capcom side aren't even big deals. I don't think you'd have large crowds crying over Nemesis, Spencer, Haggar, Firebrand, are typically on the chopping block for a lot of the genera people.

Not saying they should be cut. But if worthwhile newcomers such as Gene, Asura, and other fan favorites replaced them. I don't think there would be all that much complaining outside of diehards.

That's the real issue.

It's not about returning vs new in quantity only, but quality.

I want new character because non of the returning ones are interesting.

If Vergil or Wesker returned, I'd be okay with them. But Firebrand? Nemesis? Haggar? Arthur? Frank?

Get em out of here for Gene, Asura, and other decent characters from Capcom's library.

It's the double whammy of being lame and being old and familiar that makes it worse.

...what?

People expected interesting picks, out-of-the-left-field picks and safe picks. We only got safe picks.

Also we expected more than three newcomers per side.

I don't know what "interesting picks" means, but Jedah, Gamora, Ultron, Sigma, and Ulton Sigma were definitely out-of-left field.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Using Smash Bros logic in this discussion doesn't make any remotely sense since both games are in completely different position. Smash Bros rarely change battle mechanism or button inputs. (Example: Melee added one more special button, and Brawl added Final Smash,etc) so it allowed characters to remain same unless Sakurai want to give them brand new moves to refresh them. You have Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite which led us into completely different input system and mechanism which required some reworks for veterans. (transferring from LMHS to PPKK). Also some marvel characters are severely outdated so Capcom and Marvel chose to improved their movesets and their archetype so they can survive on their own without relying on the assist which is entirely their goal with 2 vs 2. They want to get rid of assist system because they don't believe in "assist or partner being meat shield, etc, etc).

With SFV single contents outcries and backlashes, so I believe that Capcom tried to focus on adding more single player contents to prove that they learned but what hurt them in long run is the roster. I'm pretty sure that story mode would take so much resources and budget to worked on so I could imagine that might led to lackluster roster in many people's views.

They probably held back extremely popular characters (Vergil, Wesker, Phoenix Wright, etc) so people would be willing to buy them via DLC, and it might help them out with their DLC development since they have some assets ready to work on along with more newcomers coming in the future. I don't agree with what they did but it's completely out of our hands unfortunately.

That's why I'm grateful for Sakurai, he always tried his best to bring every veterans back, and still give us handful of newcomers. Hilariously enough, Super Smash Bros Brawl's story mode actually prevented us from getting more characters. I wonder if it's in case for Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. I meant we are getting 6 newcomers so I wonder they were planned to be part of the base roster in first place? Who knows?

I wholly agree.

#2 is basically a product of #3 and general lack of prominent female characters relative to males in games/comics general, though.

That's bullshit. There are way many marvel female heroes they could adds and they aren't locked behind the Fox bans.

SaikyoBro

I think it would be a great way to represent some new series (and Alex would be unbelievably sick) but I kinda feel like that might be the point that's about too far to go back to. :[ I know they used a lot of that game's characters as bases for their MvC3 counterparts so maybe there's a chance, but I also don't think most of those characters are very popular in America. Roll would probably have the best shot since she has some legacy with the series but if they liked her they probably would've had her in 3.

McNum

TvC Roll was one of my favorite characters in that game, so I'd be all for that. Saki, too. Her bullet Hyper would be downright dirty with the Active Switch system.

Roll with the Space Stone... Activate Infinity Storm, throw water on the floor under the cube. If you touch the floor, Roll or her partner gets a full combo. So, can you fly for that long? Alternatively, safely heal with the Energy Pellet Hyper. Roll could be fun in this game.

Dahbomb

That's the real issue.

It's not about returning vs new in quantity only, but quality.

I want new character because non of the returning ones are interesting.

If Vergil or Wesker returned, I'd be okay with them. But Firebrand? Nemesis? Haggar? Arthur? Frank?

Get em out of here for Gene, Asura, and other decent characters from Capcom's library.

It's the double whammy of being lame and being old and familiar that makes it worse.
Nemesis and one of Firebrand/Arthur I give you that. I think we should've gotten one GnG character and saved the other one for DLC.

But Haggar and Frank West are fine choices. Frank West represents Dead Rising which is still a million seller franchise for Capcom. Haggar is like their premiere grappler character now, he's what Morrigan is to Darkstalkers. It makes sense for both of htem making in. They both fill an important niche both in representation and in function.

Maybe Gene and Asura make it in but Frank and Haggar are fine choice by themselves. What are you even accomplishing by replacing Frank/Haggar with Gene and Asura? You are trading two male characters and their series for two male characters and their series. It's not really a net gain. And I have been asking for Gene since even before Marvel 3....

Ideally we should have them both.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Did any leaked roster have Haggar? I guess we're getting around 34-36 characters in the base roster?

Yeah, we might get 34 character roster (if you want to be optimistic with 36 then feel free to but I think it's safer to go with 34.)

Apparently many people were happy that Haggar comes back but I agreed with you on other three characters tho. Firebrand and Arthur are often to be exchanged depend on people's preference(s). Also you have to remember loud minority is definitely very small fanbase.

Alex being similar to Haggar? No way.

I don't know what "interesting picks" means, but Jedah, Gamora, Ultron, Sigma, and Ulton Sigma were definitely out-of-left field.

Jedah was top 10 for most requested characters on few ballots for UMVC3 DLC so I doubt that they are out-of-left field but Gamora definitely is a surprise character for me.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, we might get 34 character roster (if you want to be optimistic with 36 then feel free to but I think it's safer to go with 34.)

Apparently many people were happy that Haggar comes back but I agreed with you on other three characters tho. Firebrand and Arthur are often to be exchanged depend on people's preference(s). Also you have to remember loud minority is definitely very small fanbase.

Alex being similar to Haggar? No way.

Jedah was top 10 for most requested characters on few ballots for UMVC3 DLC so I doubt that they are out-of-left field but Gamora definitely is a surprise character for me.

I will agree that Haggar definitely has the best case of staying compared to the rest.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm looking at this from business perceptive so I think Capcom want to save some popular and heavily requested characters like Wesker, Vergil, Asura, Gene, Dare Devil, The Punisher, Ms. Marvel, etc for future downloadable contents so they could convince the fans to pick up the bundle(s) or pack(s).

For example, She-Hulk and Phoenix Wright, they might able to sell the bundle more than they could sell them separately. So they could put Wesker with obscure marvel character that some people might not give a damn about, so the fans would pick them up together because they are bundled. I know it's a dirty business but it's my prediction that they would do it so they would get people to buy their products.

That's their plan for "Infinite" service to have many new characters being adding to top of the roster over the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom