• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Yeah, Miles' side missions are a bit cringe but that's kinda the norm for him. There was a side quest chain in his game where you collect sounds to make a beat and it ends up being the worst beat in all of hip-hop history. I nearly died laughing.

As for the 'lack of white people' accusation, as a New Yorker, I'm not really seeing it. But what I will say is that there was a Miles side quest that had a rich white dude and I immediately thought "he's the bad guy isn't he?", and I was right...

Topher

Gold Member
The pandering helps bump up the critic reviews, at least.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah, Miles' side missions are a bit cringe but that's kinda the norm for him. There was a side quest chain in his game where you collect sounds to make a beat and it ends up being the worst beat in all of hip-hop history. I nearly died laughing.

lol, this captures well the usual pattern and the reality of these diversity messages in games. The devs themselves are extremely white people, and above all having a hand-wringing obsession with diversity and representation (in the 2023 sense of these words) is one of the whitest things in the entire world... it's a bit like the progressive US Methodist church recently trying to vote down the actual African and South American bishops who overwhelmingly oppose innovations in sexual ethics. All of these things are as fundamentally white as that awful beat in Miles Morales, and pantomimed onto digital black characters just as awkwardly

"Latinx" is another perfect example, one of the whitest words ever uttered but which plays in a kind of brown-face pretending to be for the sake of another group

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

I asked earlier and didn't get a response... Is it possible to use the 40fps mode without vrr? I have a high refresh monitor but it only has freesync/gsync. What would the difference be?

NickFire

I asked earlier and didn't get a response... Is it possible to use the 40fps mode without vrr? I have a high refresh monitor but it only has freesync/gsync. What would the difference be?
I think if you enable 120 then it runs Fidelity in 40. There's a separate setting for VRR, so my guess answer to your question would be yes.

If you have a 120hz set you can do it without VRR (I think at least) in ‘Fidelity Mode’:

YUSORnw.jpg

Last edited:

As for the 'lack of white people' accusation, as a New Yorker, I'm not really seeing it. But what I will say is that there was a Miles side quest that had a rich white dude and I immediately thought "he's the bad guy isn't he?", and I was right...

They need to take the GZA approach from Liquid Swords. "I'm not caught up in politics, I'm no black activist on a so-called scholars dick..." 🔥🔥🔥🔥 At the very least they'd be inspired to make better beats, 🤣

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Any dolby atmos users with a receiver and physical ceiling speakers..
My receiver output says dolby atmos how the fuck can i get it working it says dolby atmos on the receiver. But the ingame audio setting in the game says 3d audio greyed out

DeepSpace5D

Yes I know. Just funny they kept it in with all of the fraud charges against them 😂
I get what you’re saying.

But just from a chronological standpoint, the sequel only takes place 10 months after Miles Morales. So I wouldn’t expect the same areas of the city to look any different.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So far the game feels too similar to past entries. Or maybe I’m getting old and my memory is failing me. I’ll try Miles Morales later in the evening to see what’s the difference.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any dolby atmos users with a receiver and physical ceiling speakers..
My receiver output says dolby atmos how the fuck can i get it working it says dolby atmos on the receiver. But the ingame audio setting in the game says 3d audio greyed out
My 3d audio is also greyed out but i am getting sound from the ceiling. i have that vizio soundbar that turns up and bounces sound off the ceiling.

play the opening level. it is amazing. best atmos experience ive ever had. so many things above my head. helicopters, things flying above my head, etc. this is why gaming benefits atmos so much more than movies.

Just make sure dolby atmos is selected in the sound settings. you will hear it within the first few minutes of the intro setpiece.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great explanation

Please try to jump through the hoops of telling me I’m racist when I love Chuck Berry and people in general.

No, no I'm not trying to say that at all.

It just looked funny to me that a chuck berry profile was upset at a black lives matter mural when he was such an activist in his own way and that white people stole/ were influenced by his music.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My 3d audio is also greyed out but i am getting sound from the ceiling. i have that vizio soundbar that turns up and bounces sound off the ceiling.

play the opening level. it is amazing. best atmos experience ive ever had. so many things above my head. helicopters, things flying above my head, etc. this is why gaming benefits atmos so much more than movies.

Just make sure dolby atmos is selected in the sound settings. you will hear it within the first few minutes of the intro setpiece.
thanks now i know i am not crazy

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

What the fuck is this shit. New Mario game has sicker tunes.

Reactions: Isa

Rayderism

Will get into the game tomorrow....trying to decide whether to use the 120hz mode or not as my TV does that halving of the vertical res when using it. (Sony Bravia X85J) It's most noticeable on text and button prompts. They look pixelated.....

Probably end up going full fidelity 30 as low frames don't bother me.

Nice that they give you lots of visual options to play with.

ByWatterson

Well yeah of course it will

Marvel anything does millions everything

Ugh, nothing worse than a “my dude” 😂

Sigh. So, let's add it up:

1. Doesn't like diversity in a game set in NEW YORK.
2. Rejects official census numbers as "internet statistics."
3. Doesn't realize Marvel has been bombing at the box office left and right and so chalks Spider-Man 2's success up to the nonexistent strength of the Marvel brand.
4. Doesn't appreciate a good "my dude."

You're being too edgelord for effing GAF, my dude.

Dude.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sigh. So, let's add it up:

1. Doesn't like diversity in a game set in NEW YORK.
2. Rejects official census numbers as "internet statistics."
3. Doesn't realize Marvel has been bombing at the box office left and right and so chalks Spider-Man 2's success up to the nonexistent strength of the Marvel brand.
4. Doesn't appreciate a good "my dude."

You're being too edgelord for effing GAF, my dude.

Dude.

Stop it. Be nice.

Calvin & Hobbes is like a lifeline to me since I was 11.

Also I never ever said I don’t like diversity so fuck the fuck off with that shit.

Last edited:
OK question for the web swinging experts:

To swing you hold R2. The move list says to do a "swing jump" you press X while holding R2.

But if you just let go of R2 instead of pressing X, it looks like it does the same thing. Is there difference that I am not seeing?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I want Hailey to become a villain. Miles game was so much better in doing sign with her and now she’s got robocop voice texts and it’s so…. Wtf

DeepSpace5D

OK question for the web swinging experts:

To swing you hold R2. The move list says to do a "swing jump" you press X while holding R2.

But if you just let go of R2 instead of pressing X, it looks like it does the same thing. Is there difference that I am not seeing?
If you press X at the end of a swing, you’ll launch yourself further and cover more distance in the air than if you just let go of R2 at the end of the swing.

To add insult to Injury Argos have dropped the price from £69.99 to £61.99 and offer same day delivery 😭.

I have that Peter Parker luck 🤣🤣😭
Ordered from argos this afternoon for £62, picking up from local Sainsbury's in morning. Wanted today but didnt have enough time to get to main argos before school run. Bloody kids 😂

Holy shit that intro. This is what I was expecting from God of War Ragnarök but didn't get. Finally a truly impressive next-generation game!

Overall the best looking game I've ever seen too, insanely polished.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Welp, my 19 inches of Venom finally arrived and it's an outstanding looking statue. It'll look great next to my other Venom upstairs in the game room. Can't wait to break out that Spider-Man controller on it too.

......buuuutttt I gotta take my daughter to a dinner in town first. I hope I have the energy to play the damn game tonight when we get back. Can't wait though.

Top Bottom