• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

DeepSpace5D

In my opinion, Fidelity mode with VRR uncapped and 120hz enabled feels like the best compromise between visuals and performance. It’s very snappy for how sharp it looks.

Performance mode with VRR uncapped and 120hz enabled feels insanely fluid to play if gameplay is your priority above all else.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
UTKockg.jpg
KlVuzxd.jpg
gbapenJ.jpg
zsXpM6K.jpg
IQqbRWX.jpg
FychHd1.jpg

SCB3

I like Miles a lot and always use him as the one really good way to introduce diversity into a long and older franchise, but man after the first 4 hours they make him really OP compared to Peter, he is flawed and single track minded though I'll say that

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Really gorgeous game. People are sleeping on the visuals.

Only game that's arguably same tier or a notch above is HFW (or maybe CP but only running on an insane rig)

Insomniac does the best comfy 30-40fps. No other way to explain it. No other devs do it like they do. I can’t sacrifice visuals on a game like this. It’s literally a visual
showpiece.

Running up a skyscraper and seeing through the windows, the interiors of the building along with the reflections? Nothing else like it period.

Next gen I’m expecting you’ll see npc’s actually doing shit inside the building as you’re running up it 😂

Last edited:
I like Miles a lot and always use him as the one really good way to introduce diversity into a long and older franchise, but man after the first 4 hours they make him really OP compared to Peter, he is flawed and single track minded though I'll say that

How is he OP?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Compare him to Spiderman, he keeps saving him in the story, his Venom powers compared to Peters gadgets as 2 early examples

Yeah his super powers really wreck house. Wait til you get (early on)

what’s basically Force lightning

Last edited:
Haven't read much of this thread, I'm a few hours in and I'm really loving this game so far, so many fun new game mechanics, especially in those mini side quests.

Games visuals make the eyes melt as well, it's gorgeous.

TIGERCOOL

If you have a 120hz set you can do it without VRR (I think at least) in ‘Fidelity Mode’:

YUSORnw.jpg
Ya I thought so.. wondering what the difference is though. Just smoother with vrr? I imagine vsync is engaged without it. Maybe the difference is not being able to do the unlocked 40fps mode

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve just completed the Coney Island part (looks awesome at night!). I personally enjoy the downtime between action, and to be fair, you can make these sections as long or as short as you’d like, which will help on replay runs.

It’s mad because I’ve put 4-5 hours into the game now (at least) and I still haven’t fought a boss, other than the one in the intro.

I much prefer the combat to the previous games, it’s definitely more challenging. There‘s more variety in the enemies as well, even this early on.

Traversal is also much better than in the previous games - the swinging is faster and the web wings are really fun to use.

ByWatterson

Stop it. Be nice.

Calvin & Hobbes is like a lifeline to me since I was 11.

Also I never ever said I don’t like diversity so fuck the fuck off with that shit.

Fair enough, don't want to leave a C&H fan mad.

But I do think your criticisms here are hyperbolic. People being mega diverse in NYC is very, very authentic.

DeepSpace5D

Those reviewers who called this a great Superman game or w/e they said specifically weren’t kidding. Using the wind tunnels with the wing suit is by far the fastest way to travel and you are basically flying for long distances. It’s like combining the flying of Superman with the normal web slinging and you can get to your destination much quicker than in previous games.

ByWatterson

In my opinion, Fidelity mode with VRR uncapped and 120hz enabled feels like the best compromise between visuals and performance. It’s very snappy for how sharp it looks.

Performance mode with VRR uncapped and 120hz enabled feels insanely fluid to play if gameplay is your priority above all else.

I don't have a 120hz display, but I'm a fidelity guy. Honestly, there aren't many premier games lately where I go for framerate.

Hogwarts, FFXVI, Spider-Man 2 all look much, much better in fidelity mode, and...I'm one of those people who think 30fps occasionally DOES look cinematic - and Spider-Man 2 is the best example.

Seriously, something epic feeling is lost at 60.

Fight me!

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I don't have a 120hz display, but I'm a fidelity. Honestly, there aren't many premier games lately where I go for framerate.

Hogwarts, FFXVI, Spider-Man 2 all look much, much better in fidelity mode, and...I'm one of those people who think 30fps occasionally DOES look cinematic - and Spider-Man 2 is the best example.

Fight me!
Nah I agree as well. For my first playthrough at least I want to experience the graphical bells and whistles too. So I’m playing fidelity mode also. The new game+ completion trophy that they will inevitably patch in later might be played in performance though. It feels really good to play, but you definitely notice a visual hit.

Markio128

Gold Member
I don't have a 120hz display, but I'm a fidelity. Honestly, there aren't many premier games lately where I go for framerate.

Fight me!
No fisticuffs from me - I’ve played the last 3 games in fidelity/resolution mode - BG3, Cyberpunk and SM2.

Certinty

Can’t believe also how fucking boring the side missions are dear lord.
Kind of sad that the biggest complaint from the first game hasn’t been totally fixed for sure.

I think they somewhat get away with a lot of it given how fun the gameplay is and how well it plays, but yeah, most of the side content i’ve come across thus far is now great.

I just hope what comes later is better.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Kind of sad that the biggest complaint from the first game hasn’t been totally fixed for sure.

I think they somewhat get away with a lot of it given how fun the gameplay is and how well it plays, but yeah, most of the side content i’ve come across thus far is now great.

I just hope what comes later is better.

That’s the thing. The menial side shit with mini games and errands I think was a terrible decision. I think they should’ve cut down on that stuff and made each one more meaningful and connected to the comics. Like exchange all the Miles college shit for a side that involves you taking down a local high end mob, collecting clues with spider bot etc.

I loved the 2018 game and was always looking forward to a sequel, but they done fucked it up.

It isn't just MJ's face either, they fucked up Peter's face too, I love the 2018 game's take on Peter Parker, now he looks like an entirely different person, why? It's a direct sequel but PP and MJ now look like different people, what the fuck is up with that?

Really good game but I don't think this genre can make it into my top tier.

Just the level below top tier for me.

Had one crash so far but otherwise nothing to complain about in terms of perferomance

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Why does pressing X to boost before hitting the landing in a zip-line feel inconsistent?

If I'm near ground level, for example doing that on traffic lights, my timing is flawless and the mechanic works great. If I go higher, rooftop buildings for example, it doesn't connect that well even though I'm doing the exact same timing as before.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom