• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather vs McGregor World Press Tour: July 11-14, 4 Cities, Open to the Public

I wish people wouldn't fall for this shit.

But looking at this thread, people clearly are.

GGG Vs. Canelo and Jones Vs Cormier are the fights that matter.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of those fights but I still like to see a circus every now and again.

Canelo/Jones(even after his long absence) both to win.

Tekniqs

Ey man.. We can enjoy the ride lol.

Ward/Kovalev 2 was already a treat and that was only a few weeks ago! Very much looking forward to GGG/Canelo... I think Canelo wins that one.

Turin

Banned

I hear you but we can still enjoy the freak show.

It's an exhibition between a retired boxer and a guy from another combat sport. I won't pay for it and wouldn't encourage anyone else to do so.

Milly79

That was pretty awful. I've been waiting for Connor to lose forever and I hope this is it. Never seen a Mayweather conference before, but that was equally pathetic on his part.

And wtf on that last stare down? Floyd with his posse and only Dana on Connors side holding him back. Dana looks like a little bitch.

Brinbe

Props to these two businessmen for selling this fight to idiots, as if it's anywhere near legitimate, and making millions in the process. Keep that kayfabe alive.

kinggroin

Banned
I have so much more appreciation for UFC press conferences now. That was cringe worthy. No mics, then mics, then cutting off mcgregors mic and the old dudes just sounding boring as hell....

Because this represents typical boxing press conferences world wide?

What are you doing?

VoxPop

Props to these two businessmen for selling this fight to idiots, as if it's anywhere near legitimate, and making millions in the process. Keep that kayfabe alive.

Sometimes a little carny is good. Especially when the lead up is going to be entertaining as fuck. Why was no one bitching when Mayweather decided to wrestle Big Show?

kinggroin

Banned

Ha, and this.

Fuck this fight. Been fooled once too many times by Floyd. He's too good.

(That said, I hope Connor wins)

A true fight means no gloves, no rules, and no ring. MMA is closer to that than boxing is.

You can't really say no rules though. Otherwise that fight boils down to who grabs the chair or bottle first.

Both are combat sports, both are equally valid at demonstrating specific disciplines to their best potential. Any arguing is just typical MMA vs Boxing nonsense.

Floyd has as much a chance at MMA as Connor does here. It'll still just be a 1 win a piece situation ultimately.

We'll just have to agree to disagree

kinggroin

Banned
That was pretty awful. I've been waiting for Connor to lose forever and I hope this is it. Never seen a Mayweather conference before, but that was equally pathetic on his part.

And wtf on that last stare down? Floyd with his posse and only Dana on Connors side holding him back. Dana looks like a little bitch.

Conor lost to Nate Diaz. By submission. There's your wait and wish fulfilled.

Chumley

Banned
Ha, and this.

Fuck this fight. Been fooled once too many times by Floyd. He's too good.

(That said, I hope Connor wins)

You can't really say no rules though. Otherwise that fight boils down to who grabs the chair or bottle first.

Both are combat sports, both are equally valid at demonstrating specific disciplines to their best potential. Any arguing is just typical MMA vs Boxing nonsense.

Floyd has as much a chance at MMA as Connor does here. It'll still just be a 1 win a piece situation ultimately.

We'll just have to agree to disagree

The point is that nearly every discipline of martial arts is valid in MMA, whereas boxing is just boxing. It's far narrower in focus. We'll have to wait and see how Conor does in the boxing ring, but he's shown at least some modicum of boxing ability in the past. He's a proven counter striker. When has Floyd ever defended a takedown?

Can Conor even go 12 rounds?
Can he take 12 rounds of being punched in the face?

I have no doubts he can fight and I bet he can even box but I have to wonder if he has the same level of endurance and conditioning that Mayweather has built up over the years he has boxed.

UFC is usually a pretty quick fight time right?

Chumley

Banned
Can Conor even go 12 rounds?
Can he take 12 rounds of being punched in the face?

I have no doubts he can fight and I bet he can even box but I have to wonder if he has the same level of endurance and conditioning that Mayweather has built up over the years he has boxed.

UFC is usually a pretty quick fight time right?

UFC is 5 rounds for 5 minutes each for championship fights. 3 rounds otherwise.

This conference almost sold me against the fight and I've been for it just for the fun of it since the beginning.

It was really poor imo, nothing compared to the best UFC Press Conferences.

and Diaz thoroughly outboxed him the entire fight

What? No. Nate did outbox him in the 2nd round, but not in the 1st whatsoever. If you are referring to the first fight.

Chumley

Banned

No. And especially not in the second fight. But don't let facts get in your way.

Conor got subbed because he completely gassed and wasn't prepared for Diaz's fighting style. The second fight was different because he trained for the weight class appropriately and studied Diaz.

BadAss2961

Dam floyd ate him up lol.
Tried to tell these MMA guys that boxing is a different animal. The difference in mega fight experience and promotion of it is massive here. I imagine the huge entourages full of goons would also be a little intimidating and humbling to someone not used to it.

Conor held his own, but he wasn't about to agitate Floyd like he does those small fries in UFC.

Macattk15

And then Conor straight up punched his face off in the 2nd.

And I'd even argue Conor was winning the 1st fight on the feet until he gassed. And gassed hard.

And Floyd won the trash talk? They both sucked.

Floyd opened up a fucking backpack and pulled out a check ..... pathetic. And yelled HARD WORK half the damn time.

Conor looked very much out of his element.

I mean they kept cutting his mic off and it was full of all the stupid bull shit boxing pageantry. He's used to UFC Press Conferences where it's straight to the point and the fighters can engage as long and openly as they want to. You can hear Conor in the background during part of it saying "What the fuck is this shit?"

This was a very, very shit conference especially by UFC standards.

conor was knocked out standing up in diaz 1. floyd hits harder in 16 oz gloves than diaz in 4oz.

.......Conor wasn't even knocked down let alone knocked out in either Diaz fight

Mayweather will outbox the shit out of him but some you are straight up making things up

VoxPop

Conor mentioned nobody told him he had a speech. I thought he did fairly well considering. I'm sure Mayweather had his HARD WORK speech planned from the getgo. It was pretty lame that they cut off Conor's mic too. Hopefully we get a better setup for he next 3.

BradC00

.......Conor wasn't even knocked down let alone knocked out in either Diaz fight

Mayweather will outbox the shit out of him but some you are straight up making things up

don't play dumb, everyone in the world knew the fight was over when he got tagged. his eyes glazed over instantly, and he started looking for the exits. i'm not saying he was literally knocked out. thats not even the point of my post, floyd hits much harder then nate diaz.

jett

D-Member
A true fight means no gloves, no rules, and no ring. MMA is
closer to that than boxing is.

A true fight:

tenor.gif

Conor talking about his baby is weak? What about Floyd literally and seriously thanking Conor and his team for the match in the middle of his supposed trash talking? lol
I didn't say it was weak. I said it made him look soft. Like he's all gaga over his son and lost an aggressive edge. I think it's awesome he seems like he's an awesome dad who's head-over-heels for his son. But it could be detrimental to his aggressive edge.

There's even been scientific studies that have shown drastically reduced levels of testerone in especially new fathers who have a strong desire to love and care for their newborns. Testosterone drops are less pronounced in fathers who've already had prior kids or just don't give a fuck about their kids, e.g., Floyd.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fathers-to-be-may-have-hormonal-changes-too/#

I could be wrong, but my honest impression watching it felt like seeing a father who can't wait to get home and smother his baby with kisses and less someone who wants to murder his opponent behind him.

Revisionist bullshit. They didn't tell Conor he'd be giving a speech, he had to improvise on the fly.

The Conor hate here is so desperate. At least tell the truth.
Was Conor not at a loss for words? He even said so himself. You seem to be making excuses for a guy who's known for his quick-witted, off-the-cuff remarks. This was supposed to be a clear strength of Conor's over Floyd. What am I lying about?

And I don't even hate Conor. I just made an observation regarding the conference. But your own known hate for Floyd seems to be coloring how you read into others' posts. Nothing in my post could be construed as hate for Conor if you analyze it honestly.

Chumley

Banned
Was Conor not at a loss for words? He even said so himself. You seem to be making excuses for a guy who's known for his quick-witted, off-the-cuff remarks. This was supposed to be a clear strength of Conor's over Floyd. What am I lying about?

And I don't even hate Conor. I just made an observation regarding the conference. But your own known hate for Floyd seems to be coloring how you read into others' posts. Nothing in my post could be construed as hate for Conor if you analyze it honestly.

Saying he was at a loss for words without the context that he had to make shit up on the fly is pretty dishonest. Everyone wants to paint this picture of him as being totally unprepared for the boxing spotlight when it was Showtime that left him out to dry, not himself. He did pretty damn good all things considered and the "he's so shook" comments from others are downright stupid.

Farsi

Damn if you're Conor how are you gonna let an old Floyd come out and punk you like that?. Floyd still has alot to give in the ring but he's so past his prime in the trash talking department, he's not even 1/4th as quick and fluid as he was 10 years ago. I hope Conor steps his game up.

Tom_Cody

I'm really really confused here. Where is the knockdown or the KO?

Diaz stunned Conor on the feet who then shot a lazy takedown to try to get out of trouble, got his back taken and RNC'd
???

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. He was hurt badly upstairs and then he went down to the mat to quit. If he hadn't capitulated he would have been knocked down and knocked out, which is why we took the route he did.

???

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. He was hurt badly upstairs and then he went down to the mat to quit. If he hadn't capitulated he would have been knocked down and knocked out, which is why we took the route he did.

It's not hard to figure out. The other poster said McGregor wad KO'd on the feet.

That LITERALLY did not happen. Conor lost the fight and he was indeed hurt on the feet but the idea he was KO'd is a factually incorrect statement

It's going to be an amazing fight, as a fan of both I'm excited.

I do laugh at people who think McGregor will win by KO though, like clearly they've never watched Mayweather fight lol.

Levito

Banned
You know bringing up the Nate Diaz fight really means nothing. Mayweather is not a MMA fighter and he couldn't have stood with Conor under MMA rules at all, Conor would finish Mayweather in about 20 seconds, can't shoulder roll your way through a head kick. Unless Floyd busts out some sick ass BJJ in the middle of the match and proves me wrong.

Conor is going to get tooled in this fight, because it's a boxing match. This fight is just spectacle, there's really not even much point in analyzing it.

Top Bottom