• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

clashfan said:
Any chance Haruhi Suzumiya's Wonderment comming to US?
Anything can happen but don't bet on it. Most anime games don't make it over here unless they're fighting games based on popular shows that get broadcast deals over here.

Eteric Rice said:
From what I understood a lot of games in the US/Europe did well, just in the long term.

That was my understanding, anyway.

Actually, if the Wii keeps up December's NPD performance, it'll be the most profitable home platform in North America and, judging from the PAL charts, it has become the dominant platform period in Europe.

ethelred said:
Don't do that. It's liable to be as productive as arguing with drohne, after drohne got very drunk and then hit by a bus, losing all cognitive capabilities.

Unfortunately, you're right but reading his posts and leaving them unchallenged is bothersome even if attempts at correcting him are finger in the dike-ish. I'm pretty sure his fanboy fervor, which is probably prevalent among his peers who make up a large percentage of Nintendo's "core" demographic, is going to be responsible for making the Wii an obsolete console if it hasn't done so already. I'm pretty surprised that the DS escaped unscathed.

clashfan

typhonsentra said:
Anything can happen but don't bet on it. Most anime games don't make it over here unless they're fighting games based on popular shows that get broadcast deals over here.

That's too bad because I really enjoyed watching the series on DVD. I would love to play a game in that world.

Xeke

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Actually, if the Wii keeps up December's NPD performance, it'll be the most profitable home platform in North America and, judging from the PAL charts, it has become the dominant platform period in Europe.

Unfortunately, you're right but reading his posts and leaving them unchallenged is bothersome even if attempts at correcting him are finger in the dike-ish. I'm pretty sure his fanboy fervor, which is probably prevalent among his peers who make up a large percentage of Nintendo's "core" demographic, is going to be responsible for making the Wii an obsolete console if it hasn't done so already. I'm pretty surprised that the DS escaped unscathed.

Yes the Wii is obsolete. Totally.

donny2112

AnimeTheme said:
I haven't recalled anyone here saying PSP sw is doing very good "right now" (in 2008).

Hcoregamer00 said:
On the other hand, I am extremely happy as the resurgence of the PSP, and the best part is that the new adopters over the holidays are buying lots of games.

You yourself just said the "PSP is doing better and better."

Again, the main reason I posted the totals in the first place was to make to make the links available, as they'll be valid thoughout the year. Whether you believe what they're saying as the year progresses is your own concern.

Jokeropia

Rancid Mildew said:
It's hardly "null and void" if the only way to overcome that is for the Wii to begin selling these minor releases. You forget that almost every third party Wii title performs far worse than equivalent titles on competing and prior systems.
Prior perhaps as they face stronger first party competition on Wii, but currently competing? No way.

ethelred

justjohn said:
god forbid someone actually shows any enthusiasm for the psp in this shitty thread. ugh, enjoy your wii/ds circle jerk

It's very important that your sad hopes and dreams be ground into the dirt.

beef3483

Wow, this might be the best software selling week for Sony in over a year. It will be interesting to see if those titles have some legs or fall behind and get replaced by titles on Nintendo consoles.

MisterHero

justjohn said:
god forbid someone actually shows any enthusiasm for the psp in this shitty thread. ugh, enjoy your wii/ds circle jerk
PSP PARTY!!!
PeeAssPee.gif

jesusraz

Vinnk said:
WE2008 Wii is getting better advertising than I expected
I have to say I was quite surprised to see it pop up on the Amazon JP best-sellers list when checking yesterday. I really thought it might just fly under the radar like the awful DS version, but maybe this edition has a chance of gaining a good foothold for the football-starved Wii crowd. If it can sell better than the first DS WE, then that'd be quite impressive.

Deku

Banned
justjohn said:

sadly worst decision of my life.

circle jerk commencing. Sorry.

Deku said:
sadly worst decision of my life.

circle jerk commencing. Sorry.

I have been wondering that your life must be amazingly smooth and happy so that buying a little PSP was already the "worst" decision in your life :lol

I wonder what does Konami have to make for Wii to get respectable numbers if like you guys say WE Wii is going to put up such numbers. See PSP one, usual basic WE known for years, coming the last (after DS, PS2, 360, PS3 versions), coming after Christmas, being a yearly upgrade...moved 70k first week.

And its not like I disagree with the numbers you think it'll move, but its about time for the humongous Wii userbase to show itself.

Neomoto

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder what does Konami have to make for Wii to get respectable numbers if like you guys say WE Wii is going to put up such numbers. See PSP one, usual basic WE known for years, coming the last (after DS, PS2, 360, PS3 versions), coming after Christmas, being a yearly upgrade...moved 70k first week.

And its not like I disagree with the numbers you think it'll move, but its about time for the humongous Wii userbase to show itself.
But I thought PSP's userbase has a lot of sport fans? Wii's sportfans are mostly there because of a single game, Wii Sports.

Neomoto said:
But I thought PSP's userbase has a lot of sport fans? Wii's sportfans are mostly there because of a single game, Wii Sports.

I really don't know where a lot of the Wii Japanese userbase is coming from. They seem to like games like Mario, Smash Brothers, and Dragon Quest well enough, but almost seem resilient to any other "core" series.

They really love the Wii line titles though. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit.

edit: Thinking about it, why don't they come up with five ideas for mainline games, apply it to three stages or sections for each, and release that under the Wii headline? Something like Wii Game with demo like presentations of new Wiimote ideas featuring their long line of mascots?

Wii Game featuring concept Wiimote demo's of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Mother?

Easy to produce, cheap for the consumer, and just fun.

Parl

Thunder Monkey said:
I really don't know where a lot of the Wii Japanese userbase is coming from. They seem to like games like Mario, Smash Brothers, and Dragon Quest well enough, but almost seem resilient to any other "core" series.

They really love the Wii line titles though. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit.
Even most ardent Soul Calibur fan won't buy Soul Calibur Legends (well, mostly).

Xeke

Banned
I'm sure MGS4 and FFXIII would both sell perfectly fine if they had been designed for the Wii ground up.

Parl said:
Even most ardent Soul Calibur fan won't buy Soul Calibur Legends (well, mostly).
I wouldn't and I'm a fan of the series.

I get that portion of the argument, but what about the quality efforts that get no love? Like Nights, Chocobo, We Love Golf, Guilty Gear, and Treasure Island Z?

Quality efforts that were shunned on a massive scale.

The Wii has a few 3rd party successes in Japan, but not enough, and definitely not of that high a scale.

Xeke said:
I'm sure MGS4 and FFXIII would both sell perfectly fine if they had been designed for the Wii ground up.
I'm sure they could have great success, but that's an argument for another account (One I don't want to keep).

Xeke

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I wouldn't and I'm a fan of the series.

I get that portion of the argument, but what about the quality efforts that get no love? Like Nights, Chocobo, We Love Golf, Guilty Gear, and Treasure Island Z?

Quality efforts that were shunned on a massive scale.

The quality of those titles can be put into question when compared to some of the quality 3rd party titles appearing elsewhere...

When the Wii gets a 3rd party game the likes of Gears of War and it is advertised well and it bombs, then maybe I'll believe something like that but Guitar Hero 3 is doing amazingly. I know that the North American market is different but I don't think it is that different.

Look at the third party games that have done well in Japan. Two RE titles and a DQ title. Genre's that Nintendo doesn't touch.

Xeke said:
The quality of those titles can be put into question when compared to some of the quality 3rd party titles appearing elsewhere...

When the Wii gets a 3rd party game the likes of Gears of War and it is advertised well and it bombs, then maybe I'll believe something like that but Guitar Hero 3 is doing amazingly. I know that the North American market is different but I don't think it is that different.
Well, the overall impact that those titles have had on the market has never been what I'd call big in the first place. The problem is they were even below the muted expectations of those titles before them.

Drastically so.

That's the problem as is. The Wii isn't getting enough of the "biggest" 3rd party series to really say where it's going. Monster Hunter will be an interesting one to watch.

Will it perform inline with the PSP titles that have been so big lately? Will it play mainly to the PS2 audience or will it be something entirely different?

MH3 is one to watch for a gauge of bigger 3rd party titles.

I'm hoping we get a western big exclusive on par with a Gears to see how that fits in the American market. Given sales of Zelda and Mario I can see the market being potentially large.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Two different products though. The PSP version caters to the same fanbase, who just want to have a portable PES on the go. That same fanbase already have their PES for home consoles.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Then WE Wii will be a million seller right?
Not that I want to join this discussion but those are not comparable. Unless you think he meant releasing MGS4, FF XIII well after they were already released on PS3. Plus this is an even worse comparisson, since PES is also on PS2, so all it's fanbase has been served as of now. As I said, Konami can only hope to attract a lot of new customers, but seeing the seemingly complicated control scheme I don't think they'll succeed in that.

Darji

Banned
Xeke said:
Thank god that SE and Konami didnt do that. I dont want a sequel that looks worser than the part before. ^^

TJ Spyke

Darji said:
Thank god that SE and Konami didnt do that. I dont want a sequel that looks worser than the part before. ^^

Please don't troll here (implying that Wii games look worse than PS2 games, when PS2 was the weakest hardware of last gen from a technical standpoint).

Darji

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Please don't troll here (implying that Wii games look worse than PS2 games, when PS2 was the weakest hardware of last gen from a technical standpoint).
before you can say that you should show me a 3rd party game that looks better as the best looking 3rd party game on the Ps2^^

Darji

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Super Mario Galaxy. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption also looks really good.
before you can say that you should show me a 3rd party game that looks better as the best looking 3rd party game on the Ps2^^

if you want to go first partys too you have to beat God of War 2 and thats almost impossible ^^

Aeris130

Darji said:

if you want to go first partys too you have to beat God of War 2 and thats almost impossible ^^

Wourldn't it be more fair to compare with 3rd-party games released within the same timeframe?

Parl

TJ Spyke said:
Super Mario Galaxy. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption also looks really good.
Nintendo have extra Pikmin to power their Wii games. Third parties cannot do that. It has nothing to do with Nintendo having development kits early/spending more time on their games.

Although, SE sneakily stole some Pikmin from Nintendo so they could make FF:CC, even when only in development, look technically better than all 3rd party PS2 games.

Rolf NB

Darji said:

Prime 3 looks better than God Of War 2. Can we stop with this shit, now that you've lost?

Xzbeat

Darji said:
Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube looked better than 99% of the 3rd party games on the PS2.
Is trolling your hobby or something?

Darji

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Wourldn't it be more fair to compare with 3rd-party games released within the same timeframe?
I always thought that people here say thatthe Wii is much more powerful than the PS2 the weakest console between the Cube and the Box. And now you already need to compare the games in the same timeframe? Hell even some PSP games look better than a Wii game.

Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube looked better than 99% of the 3rd party games on the PS2
.I said on the Wii not on the cube and i am not trolling i am just trying to explain why a game like FF (the real one) or MGS never will be on the Wii nothing more.

Xzbeat

Darji said:
I always thought that people here say thatthe Wii is much more powerful than the PS2 the weakest console between the Cube and the Box. And now you already need to compare the games in the same timeframe? Hell even some PSP games look better than a Wii game.

Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube looked better than 99% of the 3rd party games on the PS2.I said on the Wii not on the cube and i am not trolling i am just trying to explain why a game like FF (the real one) or MGS never will be on the Wii nothing more.
RE4 is also available on the Wii.

Aeris130

Darji said:

And thus we come full circle and confirm that 3rd party efforts on Wii is lacking. Now, about sales...

I think Wii WE can sell at least 50k first week. The rest will heavily depend on whether the players really appreciate the new control scheme.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Well, WE also tanked on DS initially, far underselling the PSP release (remember back when that could happen?!)... Powapuro performed similarly on DS and Wii early on too, but look at it now on DS (Kun Pocket 10 just sold ~225k). If Konami wants their sports games selling on Wii, like with DS, it'll be a slow build to it.

Actually, it's interesting that Konami's basically the only large 3rd party who seems incapable of having a "hit" on DS either... I don't see much hope for them on Wii honestly (bar DDR and maybe PES in the west).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Then WE Wii will be a million seller right?
If it can't manage that on PS2 anymore (or even "PS family" combined), why would it on Wii? :p

gkryhewy

Darji said:
.I said on the Wii not on the cube and i am not trolling i am just trying to explain why a game like FF (the real one) or MGS never will be on the Wii nothing more.

Jesus Christ, that sentence is just painful to read in every possible way. Just hideous.

Top Bottom