• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

kswiston

jarrod said:
Granted, but when the "exclusives" are stuff like Lost in Blue or Dewey's Adventure, well... I don't see much hope honestly.

Konami's best on DS are the nostalgic/classic throwbacks (Igavania, Contra 4, New Track & Field)... I think the best we can hope for on Wii would be similar (stuff like Goemon, Twin Bee, TMNT, etc). Pedigree PlayStation franchises (outside DDR/Sports) just won't be coming, they'll hit PSP/PS2 and the HD twinz instead (ie: MGS4, MGS PO/+, SHV, SH Origins). The only possible exception imo is Suikoden VI, which would likely still hit PS2 additionally anyway.

So basically, Konami doesn't support Nintendo systems as long as you cherry pick which games count as support. How is Konami worse at supporting Nintendo than Square-Enix? Because DQIX is coming to the DS? It's pretty obvious that they are spending a lot more money on their PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy games than they on DQIX and their other DS remake titles. Probably more than all of those games combined actually. How is that any different than MGS4 (the biggest project that Konami currently has going) coming out for the PS3?

In reality, there are all of two Konami series remaining on Sony consoles at this point. One series controlled by Kojima, who has more than earned his right to make his games on whatever platform he chooses. The other is silent hill, whose portable version would have been a poor fit on the DS anyhow.

Besides, ignoring budgets, I'd argue that Konami's DS games on a whole have been a lot better than their PSP games. That's what matters in the end.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kswiston said:
So basically, Konami doesn't support Nintendo systems as long as you cherry pick which games count as support. How is Konami worse at supporting Nintendo than Square-Enix? Because DQIX is coming to the DS? It's pretty obvious that they are spending a lot more money on their PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy games than they on DQIX and their other DS remake titles. Probably more than all of those games combined actually. How is that any different than MGS4 (the biggest project that Konami currently has going) coming out for the PS3?

In reality, there are all of two Konami series remaining on Sony consoles at this point. One series controlled by Kojima, who has more than earned his right to make his games on whatever platform he chooses. The other is silent hill, whose portable version would have been a poor fit on the DS anyhow.

Besides, ignoring budgets, I'd argue that Konami's DS games on a whole have been a lot better than their PSP games. That's what matters in the end.
Please dont compare SE's support to Konami's on DS. Thats not favorable to Konami in the slightest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minsc said:
That alone should be speaking volumes to Nintendo more than anything else, but I really think they just don't care to lend a hand. Would it be wrong to say Nintendo holds grudges?

Ignoring them isnt gonna make them go away though. Nintendo is a business first, they best jump at this opportunity or they're being stupid

Grecco

Minsc said:
That alone should be speaking volumes to Nintendo more than anything else, but I really think they just don't care to lend a hand. Would it be wrong to say Nintendo holds grudges?

Yes this is why Monster Hunter jumped ship to Wii or why Nintendo is helping Tecmo with Fatal Frame 4 because Nintendo holds grudges.

Its beyond silly to blame Nintendo for what Third Parties do.

The only good things to come out of Konami's support for the DS is Contra 4 and animu Castlevania.

Capcom's support has also been underwhelming (outside of PW), but I wonder now that the Wii has MH3, will Capcom take a shot at MH DS?

Minsc

Gold Member
HK-47 said:
Ignoring them isnt gonna make them go away though. Nintendo is a business first, they best jump at this opportunity or they're being stupid

Not if they feel third parties generate less revenue for them than focusing 100% (or 99%) on first parties and hardware profits. They could think that investing time and resources in third parties is going to hurt their bottom line, compared against had those resources been instead invested in first party titles.

Grecco said:
Yes this is why Monster Hunter jumped ship to Wii or why Nintendo is helping Tecmo with Fatal Frame 4 because Nintendo holds grudges.

Monster Hunter claims to have jumped to the Wii due to userbase, not moneyhats or Nintendo's beckoning. I don't know what played out behind the scenes, but even if it is entirely Nintendo's doing, 1 exception isn't going to change my mind. I still feel like maybe Nintendo has a cold shoulder for third parties.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Minsc said:
Not if they feel third parties generate less revenue for them than focusing 100% (or 99%) on first parties and hardware profits. They could think that investing time and resources in third parties is going to hurt their bottom line, compared against had those resources been instead invested in first party titles.

Monster Hunter claims to have jumped to the Wii due to userbase, not moneyhats or Nintendo's beckoning. I don't know what played out behind the scenes, but even if it is entirely Nintendo's doing, 1 exception isn't going to change my mind. I still feel like maybe Nintendo has a cold shoulder for third parties.

Personally I think it's more along the lines of Nintendo being the only one not going out of their way offering any extra-special incentives for developing for their platforms. Moneyhats would be the biggest, but other conditions could apply to this as well.

Minsc said:

This seems unlikely to me. Nintendo's marketing and product development with both DS and Wii has demonstrated quite impressive business and market acumen; I'd be hard pressed to actually believe the executives responsible for that could also believe somthing as idiotic as the idea that investments in third parties would not be efficient uses of capital.

Grecco said:

No it isn't. The actions of first parties in large part determine the actions of third parties. (Sony's entire ascent is based on this idea; they aggressively courted first parties and created firm relationships as a result that still exist today.) Nintendo has not taken visible steps to bring third parties on board, which probably means that no amount of hardware sales taken in a vacuum will do the job for them.

kswiston

Chris Michael said:
The only good things to come out of Konami's support for the DS is Contra 4 and animu Castlevania.

And Lunar Knights. To be fair though, they really haven't done much for the PSP either. MGS:pO, SH0, and maybe Castlevania: DXC. Most of their other titles ranged from bad to alright. Same as their DS library.

vanguardian1

charlequin said:
No it isn't. The actions of first parties in large part determine the actions of third parties. (Sony's entire ascent is based on this idea; they aggressively courted first parties and created firm relationships as a result that still exist today.) Nintendo has not taken visible steps to bring third parties on board, which probably means that no amount of hardware sales taken in a vacuum will do the job for them.

So you're saying nintendo needs to constantly bribe 3rd parties in order to compete in the marketplace with the other consoles.

What kinda of ****** up generation is this where 3rd parties are so damned spoiled and naive?

Grecco

charlequin said:

Based on what exactly. Lets not forget that the DS has plenty of third party support. There is no "grudge", and Nintnedo has no problem with Third parties selling on the Ds.

But about the Wii, how do we know that they dont "court" third parties? Nintendo offers the cheapest development cost. They have given third parties acces to Miis. They have given Third parties a competent online solution. What more can they do?

Third parties made their choice before this gen started. Things like RE5, FF13, MGS4 where decided before the famous 599 dollars were said. This is why it still seems like they havent jumped ship or what not. But its silly to expect Nintendo to not gather more third party support.

Iwata made the comparison with the DS on how it was mostly supported by first party past the first year. The Wii will be no different.

Minsc

Gold Member
charlequin said:
This seems unlikely to me. Nintendo's marketing and product development with both DS and Wii has demonstrated quite impressive business and market acumen; I'd be hard pressed to actually believe the executives responsible for that could also believe somthing as idiotic as the idea that investments in third parties would not be efficient uses of capital.

I know, when I read what you wrote above I have to agree with you. I don't think they really believe what I outlined, only it is a possibility. Not very likely, and now that I remember some of their more recent PR, I feel even more against what I said earlier.

kswiston said:
And Lunar Knights. To be fair though, they really haven't done much for the PSP either. MGS:pO, SH0, and maybe Castlevania:DXC. Most of their other titles ranged from bad to alright. Same as their DS library.

And Suikoden I+II... which unfortunately never left Japan.

Im just waiting for the first megaton for Wii. Its going to be hilarious and its bound to happen. I just hope its some big PS franchise that gets waggled

Neomoto

Yeah Nintendo is giving the cold shoulder to 3rd party's alrig- oh wait.

- Nintendo is actively lending their own engineers and projectmanagers to 3rd party's to help them with their Wii games (with gameplay, controlls and everything). This is like the first time they ever did such a thing (and tbh, I never heard anything like this from Sony or Microsoft).
- They lowered the prices of dev kits enormously.
- They lowered the prices of royalties 3rd party's need to pay to Nintendo a great deal
- They included a lot of 3rd party developers real early on with "Revolution" (like Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, Sega etc), which they normaly also wouldn't do in such a early stage (the controller wasn't even remotely ready, they were still on gamecube devkits, for 2 examples).
- They lend their IP's more to 3rd party's
- They are making it very easy for developers to include their own API's, such as of course Nintendo WiFi Connecten, but also Mii integration, Wii Weather channel integration, use of their own paripherals (like the Wii Board)
- They've let 3rd party's in on Virtual Console from the get go, which is pretty much free money that Nintendo is giving away
- They will launch WiiWare, in which they've lowered the entry barrier so much so that everyone and their dog can get in on it
- They are promoting 3rd party games more than every in retailerdemo pods, on their own website, marketing and Everyone's Nintendo Channel (downloadable DS demo's, trailers and movies for (upcoming) DS/Wii games, etc
- They are publishing games and or paying for marketing/development or whatever for Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (even letting Sega publish that title themselves in America and Europe for both versions).
- They even let 3rd party's top characters (incl. retro games and everything) shine in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (Smash Bros).
- Not even mentioning that they have a platform with a big ass 20+ million userbase on which development is very cheap and clear marketleader with little 3rd party competition (at the moment). If you count the DS too that's almost 90 million combined units in the market.

But yeah, go ahead, people always bitch on Nintendo for everything. ;) Why stop now right? Tell me, what more does Nintendo need to do for 3rd party's? Beg them? Pay everything for every game just to get some quality up there? :lol Nintendo's already doing far more then 3rd party's deserve in my opinion. Look at all that crap that's hitting the shelves (on both systems, and not just shovelware which every system has, I mean crap from the big publishers..). I'd say Ubisoft for example fucked Nintendo over big time considering everything Nintendo's done for them this past generation.

They are not little children. What you reap is what you sow and I don't see why this isn't 3rd party's fault. They can't seem to give what the industry and or customer wants (and that is AFTER they already missed the boat and got onboard too late in most cases). You adopt to the changing industry, not blame it all on someone else or ignore it if you can't.

yoopoo

Banned
Starchasing said:
Im just waiting for the first megaton for Wii. Its going to be hilarious and its bound to happen. I just hope its some big PS franchise that gets waggled
It already happened with Monster Hunter 3, and it WAS hilarious. Crying and bitching all over the place.

yoopoo said:
It already happened with Monster Hunter 3, and it WAS hilarious. Crying and bitching all over the place.

I know, but i want more!!!

Im talking about biblical proportions here! like something that starts with an M

Minsc

Gold Member
Neomoto said:
Yeah Nintendo is giving the cold shoulder to 3rd party's alrig- oh wait.

- Nintendo is actively lending their own engineers and projectmanagers to 3rd party's to help them with their Wii games (with gameplay, controlls and everything). This is like the first time they ever did such a thing (and tbh, I never heard anything like this from Sony or Microsoft).
- They lowered the prices of dev kits enormously.
- They lowered the prices of royalties 3rd party's need to pay to Nintendo a great deal
- They included a lot of 3rd party developers real early on with "Revolution" (like Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, Sega etc), which they normaly also wouldn't do in such a early stage (the controller wasn't even remotely ready, they were still on gamecube devkits, for 2 examples).
- They lend their IP's more to 3rd party's
- They are making it very easy for developers to include their own API's, such as of course Nintendo WiFi Connecten, but also Mii integration, Wii Weather channel integration, use of their own paripherals (like the Wii Board)
- They've let 3rd party's in on Virtual Console from the get go, which is pretty much free money that Nintendo is giving away
- They will launch WiiWare, in which they've lowered the entry barrier so much so that everyone and their dog can get in on it
- They are promoting 3rd party games more than every in retailerdemo pods, on their own website, marketing and Everyone's Nintendo Channel (downloadable DS demo's, trailers and movies for (upcoming) DS/Wii games, etc
- They are publishing games and or paying for marketing/development or whatever for Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (even letting Sega publish that title themselves in America and Europe for both versions).
- They even let 3rd party's top characters (incl. retro games and everything) shine in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (Smash Bros).
- Not even mentioning that they have a platform with a big ass 20+ million userbase on which development is very cheap and clear marketleader with little 3rd party competition (at the moment). If you count the DS too that's almost 90 million combined units in the market.

But yeah, go ahead, people always bitch on Nintendo for everything. ;) Why stop now right? Tell me, what more does Nintendo need to do for 3rd party's? Beg them? Pay everything for every game just to get some quality up there? :lol Nintendo's already doing far more then 3rd party's deserve in my opinion. Look at all that crap that's hitting the shelves (on both systems, and not just shovelware which every system has, I mean crap from the big publishers..). I'd say Ubisoft for example fucked Nintendo over big time considering everything Nintendo's done for them this past generation.

They are not little children. What you reap is what you sow and I don't see why this isn't 3rd party's fault. They can't seem to give what the industry and or customer wants (and that is AFTER they already missed the boat and got onboard too late in most cases). You adopt to the changing industry, not blame it all on someone else or ignore it if you can't.

Very nice post, and I do want to thank you for listing all that out, but the truth of the situation despite all that is still this:

charlequin said:
The fact that, by and large, third parties are still opting for the PS3 even after how badly that platform's chances got fucked over by its manufacturer is my criticism of the Wii. The market sucks so bad all around that it shouldn't really be that hard to make yourself the best option within it.

So Nintendo must be at fault somehow. The question is why? If Nintendo's doing so much, then is it they just aren't doing it right?

What I think Nintendo should do is to BUY exclusives. It's very obvious that Sony and M$ have done it before. They can do it. Last report I saw said they have like 60bil right now. Money is absolutely not an issue.

I guess Nintendo is just a little apathetic towards third parties (they clearly don't need them anyway). Iwata keeps saying that they're going to cater more for the hardcore, but I'm not quite seeing it yet.

Nintendo could totally fund a... say, FFVII remake.

vanguardian1

Minsc said:
So Nintendo must be at fault somehow. The question is why? If Nintendo's doing so much, then is it they just aren't doing it right?

I posted once prior that I feel that I'm beginning to think that most if not all 3rd parties are trying to use the Wii as a "Cannon Fodder" scenario, trying to buy time for the platforms that they feel more comfortable with to develop further. So in that sense they truly are making "budget games" to help fund their bigger projects, so that they can push the platforms that are known for those 3rd party games up higher.

The only "risk" to that theory is if Nintendo ends up with a completely dominating share of the console market, which they (Nintendo) seem to be reaching for. If Nintendo wins dramatically according to this theory of mine, it would hurt 3rd parties horrible, but who's fault it is would depend on the perspective, not the actual outcome or choices, sadly. Anyone who knows enough and doesn't favor Nintendo as their first platform would blame Nintendo for destroying the market, while the Nintendo fans would blame 3rd parties for their ignorance, thus putting us back to the blame game.

This is just my own theory, it's not like I have concrete evidence of it. ;)

RJT

vanguardian1 said:
Anyone who knows enough and doesn't favor Nintendo as their first platform would blame Nintendo for destroying the market
You bet on the wrong horse and then blame the winning horse for your bankruptcy. Makes total sense...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
yoopoo said:

I've heard this over and over. Being on a Nintendo platform had nothing to do with "crying and bitching" as you claim. To give you people some perspective, imagine Nintendo announce a new 3d Mario for the Wii2 or whatever..only to renounce it a year later and make it a DS exclusive! Awesome yes?

spindoc said:
I've heard this over and over. Being on a Nintendo platform had nothing to do with "crying and bitching" as you claim. To give you people some perspective, imagine Nintendo announce a new 3d Mario for the Wii2 or whatever..only to renounce it a year later and make it a DS exclusive! Awesome yes?

That would be awesome.

jman2050

Wii's "DQIX" will come soon enough I believe, and the resulting thread for whatever game ends up being the smoking gun will be hilarious.

vanguardian1

RJT said:
You bet on the wrong horse and then blame the winning horse for your bankruptcy. Makes total sense...

Remember that a lot of console fans, including a lot of gamers here on GAF, tent to base blame more on feelings or twisted
mutilated
logic rather than clear and precise logic.

spindoc said:

Not the best comparison, moving a console title to a handheld versus console to console. Also considering the PS3's performance, it was to be expected for a few titles to change, the PS2>PS3 transition has been an utter nightmare for developers, publishers, and some consumers, and may continue to be that way for some time.

Redd

spindoc said:

I would really want that. Not a big fan of NSMB and a portable 3d Mario Galaxy would be pretty sweet imo.

vanguardian1 said:
So you're saying nintendo needs to constantly bribe 3rd parties in order to compete in the marketplace with the other consoles.

Um, yes, obviously I am saying that. Sony and Microsoft have both spent their entire careers in the console business spending large amounts of money wooing third party development, in a wide variety of different ways. If you want to operate in a market where "bribery" is the standard, you are indeed expected to bribe yourself.

Grecco said:
Based on what exactly. Lets not forget that the DS has plenty of third party support. There is no "grudge", and Nintnedo has no problem with Third parties selling on the Ds.

The DS is also a pretty unique case in terms of its level of success, and is the successor of a system that already had a strong third-party presence (GBA). I don't believe there is an arbitrary "console"/"handheld" split where each market operates on different principles, but every individual system does have its own unique qualities, and is informed by its predecessor -- Wii, for better or worse, is coming off the anathema-to-third-parties GameCube.

But about the Wii, how do we know that they dont "court" third parties?

We don't know that they don't; we only know that if they are doing it, they're not doing a great job. Neomoto's list (not all of which I can verify, but when I have more time I'll look at it in more detail) points towards improvement, but apparently it's not enough.

EDIT: To get metaphorical here, Sony's basically fumbled the ball here with their mismanagement of the PS3. Does Nintendo "deserve" to recover the fumble and take possession because they applied pressure and caused the fumble? No, they deserve to recover it if and only if they get their men out on the field and pick up the ball before Sony gets it back. Any amount of effort to recover that fumble isn't enough effort unless it exceeds Sony's effort and actually recovers the ball.

EDITx2: What I'm really saying here is, Nintendo, stop running the fucking Packers offense.

Aeris130

spindoc said:

Did you actually read that thread? It was "I never played MH before but now I will cuz it's awesome on Wii" vs "We need dual-schtikz action cuz MH is all about traditional gameplay with super-precise framespecific input with nextgen physics or on PS2".

Like, 2000 posts. All the way.

Minsc said:

Because they're fanboys :)

That or they've just spent millions investing in HI DEF resources/software so they HAVE to put it to some use.

Redd

Xisiqomelir said:
I'm LTTP but holy crap Brawl. Sakurai really won't stay on at Nintendo?

Give him enough money and I'm sure Sakurai will come back and make a Smash 4, maybe not on the wii but on the next console.

vanguardian1

charlequin said:
Um, yes, obviously I am saying that. Sony and Microsoft have both spent their entire careers in the console business spending large amounts of money wooing third party development, in a wide variety of different ways. If you want to operate in a market where "bribery" is the standard, you are indeed expected to bribe yourself.

Hasn't done much for their profits, has it? Nintendo HAS to be more conservative about investments, because they can't write off billions of losses nearly as easily as Sony or MS could. Trying to get into a bidding war or "power" war with MS or Sony would put Nintendo out of business permanently. While they "can" play those games, it's not in their best interests to do so, and it certainly doesn't portray to Nintendo's strengths either.

Neomoto

Minsc said:
Very nice post, and I do want to thank you for listing all that out, but the truth of the situation despite all that is still this:

Thank you for the complement.

I agree about the PS3 part. But don't forget that EVERY publisher that's somebody already banked on PS3 (and x360) from the get go. Wii just "happened" to become what it is today almost out of the blue (so it's "Nintendo's fault" no one saw the huge succes it would become?). Obviously, publishers can't just drop everything they've going on other platforms and flock to the Wii. So in that sense, it is third party's fault because they are failing to developer proper software for the Wii / do not devote enough resources (money, people) into Wii development. Their situation on other platforms shouldn't be any concern and doesn't have to do with anything in this case.

But because of lousy 3rd party games (bare a couple exceptions), first party titles has the task to become the main selling point for the Wii in terms of game library (even stronger than Nintendo normally would be as a first party). This causes 3rd party's even more concern because in their eyes (and even in their own words) Nintendo is to strong to compete with so they aren't waiting in line to put AAA budget games on the system (so this could also be considered as "Nintendo's fault"). But these first party titles are neccessary (and vital) in order to sustain the userbase and attrack new users, because without it the Wii would be nothing but a joke to the industry.

Chris Michael said:
What I think Nintendo should do is to BUY exclusives. It's very obvious that Sony and M$ have done it before. They can do it. Last report I saw said they have like 60bil right now. Money is absolutely not an issue.
Nintendo's doesn't normally just buy out exclusives. And the money of course isn't the problem. Hell, they could buy most Japanese 3rd party developers in a heartbeat to make games for them if Nintendo wanted to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's still early in this gen and with the ever expanding development schedules we might not have even seen the third party switch over to Wii, if it's coming at all.

This year will really be telling.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man God said:
It's still early in this gen and with the ever expanding development schedules we might not have even seen the third party switch over to Wii, if it's coming at all.

It will. Iwata said at the Nintendo Fall conference that they were going to really start emphasizing the core gamer; he then announced MH3 for Wii. Hopefully that was just the start, and not just a fluke.

I'd say Capcom and Sega are good candidates for increased, significant support.

vanguardian1 said:
Hasn't done much for their profits, has it?

Er... it made Sony the undisputed king of videogames for two generations. Sony's big mistake in pricing the PS3 doesn't actually undo the immense amount of money they brought in from two extremely successful generations based entirely around wooing third parties.

Nintendo HAS to be more conservative about investments, because they can't write off billions of losses nearly as easily as Sony or MS could.

That's not really an accurate picture of the economic situation in place for these companies. A loss is a loss, and $1 billion spent unwisely is as bad for Sony or Microsoft as it is for Nintendo.

Both other companies do have other lines of business that can preserve the overall company in the face of a downturn in videogaming revenues, which is what led to Nintendo's "always profit even on hardware" maxim, but that doesn't actually give them more freedom to lay out cash. MS is running into a wall now that their "initial outlay" period to break into the market is over, while Sony has also been unable to spend unlimited amounts of money in order to keep the previously-lucrative PlayStation division from eating up all their delicious Bravia profits.

Trying to get into a bidding war or "power" war with MS or Sony would put Nintendo out of business permanently.

Nobody suggested that. I agree it would be stupid for Nintendo to gun for the very biggest titles like GTA4 and pay the associated auction-house premiums they would command. In reality, though, MS and Sony mostly just go after different games, and support a wide variety of second-tier titles that their competition doesn't necessarily care about; Nintendo could easily do the same, commissioning (or even publishing) unique or new-IP titles with large budgets from major third parties and making them an important part of their overall marketing strategy.

birdchili

is there seriously a question of whether third party support is going to get better than it is now? surely it is. it's just not likely that a bunch of cinematic hd-style games are going to suddenly be on-the-way for wii.

nintendo's strategy of: target new gamers with wii ___-style games and tons of advertising and target gamecube/core gamers with gamecube sequels and no significant advertising leaves a lot of room for third parties to experiment in areas that are ill-served so far. the wii audience seems pretty diverse really, i imagine there will be quite a few success stories in various styles before the gen is in its twilight.

sphinx

the piano man
Man God said:

this year has had a very slow start then. Putting a couple of minor announcements, none of the big publishers has done anything big, whatsoever.

for all supposed success capcom is getting from the wii RE games, I would have thought capcom would announce something related to that already, right? I mean, what's next?

in fact, capcom has gone mute since long ago. besides Okami for Wii and lost planet for PS3, there's is absolutely nothing new from them. Am I missing something? did all the manpower go to resident evil 5?

I'd like to know.

schuelma

sphinx said:
this year has had a very slow start then. Putting a couple of minor announcements, none of the big publishers has done anything big, whatsoever.

for all supposed success capcom is getting from the wii RE games, I would have thought capcom would announce something related to that already, right? I mean, what's next?

in fact, capcom has gone mute since long ago. besides Okami for Wii and lost planet for PS3, there's is absolutely nothing new from them. Am I missing something? did all the manpower go to resident evil 5?

I'd like to know.

They had their huge October where they announced Okami Wii, MH3, SFIV, Bionic Commando, etc., but nothing since.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
They had their huge October where they announced Okami Wii, MH3, SFIV, Bionic Commando, etc., but nothing since.

ah yes, I stand corrected.... forgot about that.

I guess it's just me getting anxious because the info about said games doesn't seem to flow the way I want.

test_account

XP-39C²
Minsc said:
So how would you describe Uncharted's performance in the Japanese market? I imagine the people who said it bombed, said so correctly. Has Uncharted even reached 100K in Japan yet (or will it ever for that matter)?

I know the question wasnt adressed to me, but i want to answer anyway hehe ;) No, Uncharted hasnt reached 100k in Japan yet and i doubt it ever will, but if its a bomb or not is not easy for me to say since i have no idea how many copies that were expected to be sold. Joshua's site shows tracking numbers for only 1 week, its at 16,914 copies sold. Famitsu top 20 PS3 games for 2007 has it at 38,242. Uncharted was released 6th December 2007, which means it sold about 12,500 copies in average each week uptil 31th December.

Bad or not, you tell me :) I would guess Uncharted has broken atleast 40k in Japan by now. Do anyone have any idea how big or small the expectations was for this game?

birdchili said:
is there seriously a question of whether third party support is going to get better than it is now? surely it is.

I think it's more a question of whether it'll ever reach a point where Wii third-party support is ever of "quality" -- getting interesting AAA games from major teams with huge budgets. From a historical perspective, the answer should be unequivocally "yes"; from a perspective of what's actually happening... I... don't know? I feel confident that it's within Nintendo's power to cause that to happen, at least.

schuelma said:
It will. Iwata said at the Nintendo Fall conference that they were going to really start emphasizing the core gamer; he then announced MH3 for Wii. Hopefully that was just the start, and not just a fluke.

I'd say Capcom and Sega are good candidates for increased, significant support.

I wouldn't write S-E out of that list, either, depending on some particulars of how their next spate of announcements unfolds (and how FF:CC Wii turns out.)

schuelma

charlequin said:
I wouldn't write S-E out of that list, either, depending on some particulars of how their next spate of announcements unfolds (and how FF:CC Wii turns out.)

Ehh..I'm skeptical. Especially given how Chocobo sold.

Right now, if you don't include FF:CC:CB because of development questions, they have ONE Wii game announced- the FF:CC Wi Ware title.

schuelma said:
Ehh..I'm skeptical. Especially given how Chocobo sold.

Right now, if you don't include FF:CC:CB because of development questions, they have ONE Wii game announced- the FF:CC Wi Ware title.

But they already released 2 games on Wii that make 3 games total in 1 year and half, I'd say is a pretty good track for a company that only maked 1 game for GC if you can count it as a SE studio game...

I don't think on a total turnabout of SE to Wii, but more support, sure....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Xisiqomelir said:
I'm LTTP but holy crap Brawl. Sakurai really won't stay on at Nintendo?

He left because they kept forcing him to make sequels. There are some bridges that got burnt after Kirby Air Ride

Top Bottom