• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2011 {2011.12.26 - 2012.01.01}

On the topic of Pokemon do we know where Black and White stand as of right now? With their opening weeks last year I really thought they were going to be higher than Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire, but they were so much more front loaded and they haven't seemed to stay in the lower part of the charts like D/P did (although I think the crazy DS boom really helped them). Would love to see that they ended up selling a lot under the radar.

On the topic of Pokemon do we know where Black and White stand as of right now? With their opening weeks last year I really thought they were going to be higher than Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire, but they were so much more front loaded and they haven't seemed to stay in the lower part of the charts like D/P did (although I think the crazy DS boom really helped them). Would love to see that they ended up selling a lot under the radar.

R/S: http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/855
D/P: http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/261
B/W: http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/4526

B/W has probably passed R/S by now.

Kazerei

Banned

aDBG8.png

B/W is still tracking ahead of D/P, but I think eventually it will fall behind. D/P had some good legs.

EDIT: No wait, I think B/W already did fall behind

EDIT2: The streams have crossed

6w2pH.png

BurntPork

Banned
I don't think it's a huge leap. Already on DS the worlds are in simple 3D, and they already create animated 3D models of the Pokémon for things like the Stadium-type games and 3DS's Pokédex.

Game Freak isn't involved in those games, though.

Also BW not outselling DP makes me very sad. DP sucked so bad...

I wish they'd hurry up and make Pokemon a full 3D RPG. The same 2D overview of the game has gotten stale, and now that they have the power of the 3DS, it's time for them to take the next step with it as they did with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

If we've learned anything this generation, it's that, sales wise, Nintendo's legacy titles are better suited for 2D. I still can't believe Zelda hasn't made the reverse transition yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2012.01.12}

[3DS] Ghost Camera: Tsuiteru Techou <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥3.800)
[3DS] Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.800)
[3DS] The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥5.040)

[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin I & II <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.480)
[PSP] Fate/Extra (PSP the Best) <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Tokyo Mono Harashi: Karasu no Mori Gakuen Kitan (Atlus Best Collection) <ADV> (Atlus) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Dai Senryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Rise and Fall of East Asia (SystemSoft Selection) <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥3.129)

[PS3] Time Leap <ADV> (Prototype) (¥6.720)

New releases {2012.01.12}

[3DS] Ghost Camera: Tsuiteru Techou <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥3.800)
[3DS] Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.800)
[3DS] The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥5.040)

[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin I & II <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.480)
[PSP] Fate/Extra (PSP the Best) <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Tokyo Mono Harashi: Karasu no Mori Gakuen Kitan (Atlus Best Collection) <ADV> (Atlus) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Dai Senryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Rise and Fall of East Asia (SystemSoft Selection) <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥3.129)

[PS3] Time Leap <ADV> (Prototype) (¥6.720)

Any guess about Ghost Camera numbers?
I can see it pull 30-40k copies LTD.

In Japan, it did. Iwata was expecting the system to reach 4 millions in February, not in December. Don't know about USA and Europe.

Any extra sales in Japan are looking to be cancelled out by not only lower sales in other regions, but the complete tanking of the Euro.

Nintendo and Sony's earnings releases are likely going to be extremely ugly.

Erethian

Any extra sales in Japan are looking to be cancelled out by not only lower sales in other regions, but the complete tanking of the Euro.

Nintendo and Sony's earnings releases are likely going to be extremely ugly.

From what people with knowledge of Euro sales numbers have said, 3DS has been performing very well in the holiday period.

From what people with knowledge of Euro sales numbers have said, 3DS has been performing very well in the holiday period.

Suffice to say that Mario kart 7 has been in the top 10 for 4 weeks in a row - that's to say December - in Germany, Italy, France and Netherland's charts, and Mario land 3D apparently being up there as well, although with not so long legs.

As for the tanking of the Euro, as for now thankfully there is not such a thing, although there's a financial crisis spreading in UE - like almost everywhere else by the way - and it's not over yet, whatever talking stating the tanking of the Euro as a fact is utterly uninformative as yet.

In fact, the Euro has been and still is strong against the U.S. dollar, and this has incidentally helped a big deal USA export towards Europe all these years.

In my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - one of the biggest issue of Japanese companies is in fact that the Yen has grown to be too strong against U.S Dollar and the Euro, and they are extremely affected by the disadvantageous exchange rates for their revenues abroad.

Suffice to say that Mario kart 7 has been in the top 10 for 4 weeks in a row - that's to say December - in Germany, Italy, France and Netherland's charts, and Mario land 3D apparently being up there as well, although with not so long legs.

As for the tanking of the Euro, as for now thankfully there is not such a thing, although there's a financial crisis spreading in UE - like almost everywhere else by the way - and it's not over yet, whoever is stating the tanking of the Euro as a fact is utterly uninformed.

In fact, the Euro has been and still is strong against the U.S. dollar, and this has incidentally helped a big deal USA export towards Europe all these years.

In my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - one of the biggest issue of Japanese companies is in fact that the Yen has grown to be too strong, and they are extremely affected by the disadvantageous exchange rates for their revenues abroad.

Seems weird to say in fact and then post stuff that's not true.

At the moment the Euro is worth under 98 Yen, Nintendo and Sony both projected it around 115 yen this summer and adjusted that down to 105 two months ago. The dollar is pretty much flat against the Yen since the last earnings while the Euro is down about 7%

In fact, Nintendo and Sony had been projecting the dollar to be worth 75 Yen, so the current value of the dollar is going to help slightly balance out the sharp decline the Euro has taken compared to their expectations

Seems weird to say in fact and then post stuff that's not true.

At the moment the Euro is worth under 98 Yen, Nintendo and Sony both projected it around 115 yen this summer and adjusted that down to 105 two months ago. The dollar is pretty much flat against the Yen since the last earnings while the Euro is down about 7%

Sorry if I'm wrong, but the Euro is still strong against the Dollar, in fact Europeans find it cheaper importing from U.S.A., and in any case the Euro has not tanked yet, although some feared it and it's not over yet.

From my understanding the problem Japan's currently having is the Yen is just too strong, it's a side-effect of the crazed economic worldwide situation and unpredictable exchange fluctuations, not just the Euro.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but the Euro is still strong against the Dollar, in fact Europeans find it cheaper importing from U.S.A., and in any case the Euro has not tanked yet, although some feared it and it's not over yet.

From my understanding the problem Japan's currently having is the Yen is just too strong, it's a side-effect of the crazed economic worldwide situation and unpredictable exchange fluctuations, not just the Euro.

At their last earnings report Sony and Nintendo were projecting the Euro to be worth 105 Yen. It's now worth less than 98. Currency dropping that much in a short time is tanking and the drop is showing no signs of stopping. That has nothing to do with the strength of the Yen as they also projected the dollar to be worth 75 Yen and it's currently worth 77. The dollar is the strongest it's been against the Euro since 2010

At their last earnings report Sony and Nintendo were projecting the Euro to be worth 105 Yen. It's now worth less than 98. Currency dropping that much in a short time is tanking and the drop is showing no signs of stopping. That has nothing to do with the strength of the Yen as they also projected the dollar to be worth 75 Yen and it's currently worth 77. The dollar is the strongest it's been against the Euro since 2010

Since you said "tanking", I understood you were meaning failure, bankruptcy, not just a severe exchange rate fluctuation, and that is something untrue although Europe is clearly going through a huge economic crisis - but again who is not? - and may perhaps still end tits up in a few days, and I can tell you albeit I frankly admit I'm no economics expert and I know just a few basic notions.

To back up my argument I also pointed out how much ridicously cheap is from someone paying in Euro to import, evidently Euro has not tanked against the Dollar.

By the way I don't mean to keep arguing with you splitting hairs and would rather leave this alone - and you may be right AFAIC - as it's not that relevant to the topic, since we both agreed on the fact that Japanese industry is being affected negatively by export change rates.

Since you said "tanking", I understood you were meaning failure, bankruptcy, not just a severe exchange rate fluctuation, and that is something untrue although Europe is clearly going through a huge economic crisis and may perhaps still end tits up in a few days, and I can tell you albeit I frankly admit I'm no economics expert and I know just a few basic notions.

To back up my argument I also pointed out how much ridicously cheap is from someone paying in Euro to import, evidently Euro has not tanked against the Dollar.

By the way I don't mean to keep arguing with you and would rather leave it alone - and you may be right AFAIC - as it's not that relevant to the topic, since we both agreed on the fact that Japanese industry is being affected negatively by export change rates.

The Euro and Europe are two different things and the relative strength of the currency was never in the discussion. Only what's happened in the last few months and how that will affect their earnings reports being released later in the month which as I said earlier, will likely be even more bleak than previously thought.

I'd have dropped it too but not a fan of people telling me I'm misinformed about something when I'm discussing simple facts.

The Euro and Europe are two different things and the relative strength of the currency was never in the discussion. Only what's happened in the last few months and how that will affect their earnings reports being released later in the month which as I said earlier, will likely be even more bleak than previously thought.

I'd have dropped it too but not a fan of people telling me I'm misinformed about something when I'm discussing simple facts.

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding about the term "tanking" that I took as a derogatory remark and because of that I got arguably touchy, no offence meant and I apologise if I was a little too aggressive with you, it's not in my temperament to be harsh, more so if unprovoked.

Too much good 3DS news lately. It needs to be doomed.

It was doomed. It saw the place where dead handhelds go, took a step back, and told the reaper "It's not my time yet. Take Vita instead."

It was discussed a week ago i think? I saw mention of the biggest December many days ago at least. Very impressive indeed.

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33807430&highlight=#post33807430
I remember discussion about it having the best December, but this article says it's the best single month ever.

test_account

XP-39C²
It was doomed. It saw the place where dead handhelds go, took a step back, and told the reaper "It's not my time yet. Take Vita instead."
ibapwkr9uF5Tkf.jpg

For those who havnt seen that Simpsons episode: Homer becomes the reaper and later on is told to kill Marge, but instead he kills Patty (or Selma) and disquise her as Marge, trying to fool God. Thought it would fit, as in "take Vita instead" hehe.

I remember discussion about it having the best December, but this article says it's the best single month ever.
Decembers are usually the biggest month though, i dont think that any other months has ever been bigger than December when it comes to sales (maybe outside of launch of a system). But fair enough :)

Nothing and deleted his past posts (unless I'm mistaking nickname).
I checked myself now and i see that he did indeed delete all his post. I wonder why he did that.

king zell

posted? Famitsu top 10 {2011.12.26 - 2012.01.01}

01.[3DS] Mario Kart 7
02.[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G
03.[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land
04.[PS3] Warriors Orochi 2
05.[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2
06.[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark
07.[WII] Just Dance Wii
08.[WII] Wii Party
09.[WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land
10.[WII] Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201201/06008108.html

BurntPork

Banned

01.[3DS] Mario Kart 7
07.[WII] Just Dance Wii
08.[WII] Wii Party

3DS
3DS
3DS
PS3
PS3
3DS
WIIIIIIII

Alrus

Did Just Dance get j-pop added or something?

Yep it's pretty much a new version of Just Dance tailored for the Japanese (kinda like Elite Beat Agents was an americanized version of Ouedan). Nintendo and Ubi did a damn good job localizing it.

Haha. Starting at a non-0 day is something I haven't done in so long that I saw that image and thought "Wait, you can do that?"
Mad African said:
If we've learned anything this generation, it's that, sales wise, Nintendo's legacy titles are better suited for 2D. I still can't believe Zelda hasn't made the reverse transition yet.
Aren't the DS Zeldas about as close in presentation to the older Zeldas as the NSMB games are to the old SMB games?
Erethian said:
As the strongest region for the DS and 3DS's early months, this doesn't surprise me.

extralite

1 Euro is ¥97 right now. That's pretty unbelievable. I can see it falling to ¥95 or perhaps ¥90 within months.

I just checked and it's actually 97.9328 yen. Rounded to two digits that's 98 yen. But anyway, as you said the outlook is terrible and it might actually drop to 97 yen shortly.

Takao

Banned

01.[3DS] Mario Kart 7
07.[WII] Just Dance Wii
08.[WII] Wii Party

No Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, or FF Type-0...

Top Bottom