• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

watership

How long is this game? I keep reading 2 hours in some tweets, but that can't be right..

edit: Wait, nevermind, I was thinking Ground Zeros.

Seems like this game is gonna tie a lot of stuff together, which I like. It really sounds more and more like Eli is liquid when he started talking about the les enfants terribles project

How long is this game? I keep reading 2 hours in some tweets, but that can't be right..

Some people say 90 minutes for the main mission but the game was only 9% complete at that point

le.phat

I love how a couple graphical screenshot comparisons of GZ turns into a 37 page thread. I mean I love pretty graphics as much as anyone, hence why I bought a PS4 just for this game, but damn why are people so angry and butthurt? Why do people need to compare the dick size of their consoles?

It's fucking MGSV! That's what you should be excited about.

because the Xbone is already choking ? On cross gen titles ? When the real next generation of software has yet to come ? And will last another X years ?

haikira

I love how a couple graphical screenshot comparisons of GZ turns into a 37 page thread. I mean I love pretty graphics as much as anyone, hence why I bought a PS4 just for this game, but damn why are people so angry and butthurt? Why do people need to compare the dick size of their consoles?

It's fucking MGSV! That's what you should be excited about.

It's ironic that you're obviously criticizing the maturity of others, and the same time throwing out quotes like "why are people so angry and butthurt?" and "dick size of their consoles?".

It's all about context, and it's not just as simple as people comparing the dick size of their console, as you'd put it. I think the lack of parity, Kojima's unexpected attitude to show everything, warts and all and the still shocking graphical gap, is discussion worthy.

If there'd been a new trailer, new information, or well, anything new released today, we'd be talking about that too. But as it stands, today's news was only about technical matters, so that's why we're talking about that today.

all versions look rather disappointing.

when MGS2 & MGS4 launched they were graphically mindblowing powerhouses [and on the weaker consolse too!].

this whole cross-generation transition is dragging on far too long...

When MGS2 and MGS4 launch they were tailor made for one specific console, which allowed them to shine. MGSV is on 4 different platforms, running on an multiplat engine. MGSV is also a cross gen title. You can bet if MGS2 had been PS1/PS2 or MGSIV had been PS3/PS2, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Mikey Jr.

mgsflash.gif

OMG

watership

because the Xbone is already choking ? On cross gen titles ? When the real next generation of software has yet to come ? And will last another X years ?

I remember the Xbox 360's first few months being pretty lackluster. The real 'Next Gen' visuals didn't come until Gears of War. I think there is plenty of room to get better. It's not like PC where they never optimize for the hardware. There is brute force performance, and then there is milking the system for it's power.

edit: Has there ever been a time when resolution was the biggest subject of every game release? I can't think of any time in the last two generations.

I have enjoyed how frame rate and resolution differences and a host of other things are no longer a big deal while last generation many of the same people and "journalists" were shitting themselves over 640p/720p and single digit frame rate differences because their brand of choice was the one typically on the favorable ends of the comparisons. Ahh fanboyism, moneyhats and whatever of such...

From Michigan?

What a crazy analogy lol ( i get it, but still)

Unfortunately and it could've been better.

But if you shake the the 2lt bottle it'll empty out quicker. That's the X1 secret sauce, the console merely needs to be shaken while being played to bring the frame rate and resolution upto par!

Sorry, not sorry.

Well played sir, well played.

Seems like this game is gonna tie a lot of stuff together, which I like. It really sounds more and more like Eli is liquid when he started talking about the les enfants terribles project

Yeah, dat smile. I'm convinced Kojima looking back at that whole scene with Liquid in MGS1 might have been what inspired him to make a game about Big Boss and the cast in this setting. And why Liquid has a main role.

i-Lo

Given how effective the new upscaler is, xbone version should be up to par with PS4's in motion. In addition, the upcoming update that is stated to reduce GPU reservation for OS to 2% should close the gap (given no information can be found on what % of PS4 GPU is locked away for OS purpose). As a result we may see frame rate stutter on xbone version as it may run over 60fps then.

When MGS2 and MGS4 launch they were tailor made for one specific console, which allowed them to shine. MGSV is on 4 different platforms, running on an multiplat engine. MGSV is also a cross gen title. You can bet if MGS2 had been PS1/PS2 or MGSIV had been PS3/PS2, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

you're absolutely right.

i suppose i shouldn't [overly] lament the wide-spread availability of this game - i've just always enjoyed the exclusivity drama / resulting graphical prowess surrounding various MGS releases [ever since the original solid on PSX].

ymmv

Banned
I remember the Xbox 360's first few months being pretty lackluster. The real 'Next Gen' visuals didn't come until Gears of War. I think there is plenty of room to get better. It's not like PC where they never optimize for the hardware. There is brute force performance, and then there is milking the system for it's power.

Of course. Games will look better and better year after year. But that will happen for the PS4, too. The thing with the X1 is that MS will never be able to close the power gap through clever programming. The basic hardware is slower. At least a multiplatform game on the PS3 had a chance to get even with a the 360 version if the publisher put a quality team on that port. No such luck for the Xbox One. Five years down the line there'll still be X1 games that will have a far worse framerate or resolution than the PS4 version.

VanWinkle

Given how effective the new upscaler is, xbone version should be up to par with PS4's in motion. In addition, the upcoming update that is stated to reduce GPU reservation for OS to 2% should close the gap (given no information can be found on what % of PS4 GPU is locked away for OS purpose). As a result we may see frame rate stutter on xbone version as it may run over 60fps then.

What?! 720p isn't on par with 1080p in any way, shape, or form. Your post reads like "joke", but I've seen other posts by you that suggest it isn't the case (I believe it was you that said Titanfall may be the best we'll get in graphics in next-gen with 60fps).

quetz67

Banned

Joke post?

Jetlagger

Banned
Sony probably didn't take too well to Kojima being on Microsoft's stage at E3, so it'll be interesting to see if they bother to advertise this game on PlayStation at all, when they could just as easily advertise Watch Dogs instead.

And with Titanfall coming out, would Microsoft still advertise this game on Xbox even when NPD has already shown consumers bought Tomb Raider at a ratio of 2:1?

If neither advertise this game, how will this game get its marketing paid for? What was the last game Konami bothered to market/advertise on its own?

Metfanant

emmastone-laugh.gif

Valnen

This is a joke post right?

Posts like these are why I love these threads.

I%2Bm%2Bpraying%2Bthat%2Byou%2Bre%2Bjoking%2Btrolling%2B_f76c9c1c5caed775af268a0df44b1b9e.gif

Of course. Games will look better and better year after year. But that will happen for the PS4, too. The thing with the X1 is that MS will never be able to close the power gap through clever programming. The basic hardware is slower. At least a multiplatform game on the PS3 had a chance to get even with a the 360 version if the publisher put a quality team on that port. No such luck for the Xbox One. Five years down the line there'll still be X1 games that will have a far worse framerate or resolution than the PS4 version.

Exactly, towards the later half of last gen, some games even came out and looked/performed better on PS3. That's never going to happen with the Xbox One. The power gap will only become more and more noticeable as more and more demanding games start coming out... not to mention whatever Sony's first party studios put out will be absolutely in another league. inFamous is already looking amazing, and the Order will look phenomenal and these are from Sony's more B-Tier Studios (don't mean that as an insult, I absolutely love SP and RAD but that just goes to show how great Sony's first party is). I can't imagine what SSM, PD, MM and especially ND are going to pull off.

There's little reason to believe that any GPU resources are being taken away from games on the PS4. It seems the OS handles games in a similar fashion as the Vita's. Dropping the OS reservation to 2% isn't going to close the gap at all. It'll just help XBO versions of games run a little better and help stabilize frame rates a bit.

EDIT: I just took the bait didn't I?

Sean*O

edit: Has there ever been a time when resolution was the biggest subject of every game release? I can't think of any time in the last two generations.

That's because there wasn't commonly a massive difference in resolution between multiplat titles the last two generations.

Its hard to tell from your post history whether or not you are joking. Thats a problem.

all versions look rather disappointing.

when MGS2 & MGS4 launched they were graphically mindblowing powerhouses [and on the weaker consolse too!].

this whole cross-generation transition is dragging on far too long...

The new consoles have only been out for 3 months, and the last ones had a combined 160 million userbase...you might want to brace yourself for a few more cross gen games to come.

watership

I don't disagree that the PS4 GPU and memory are better, i just don't think people will look at a X1 games performance on face value as bad. And I think a lot of what the X1 is experiencing now in terms of the huge delta in performance, is poor tools and rushed drivers. It's been a complaint from devs for months. So while the gap will never be closed, I believe it will be less.

kpaadet

#dead. Ohhh man, that was awesome. You are joking right........?

ibqbb4t9GElym5.gif

It isn't just resolution, it's about overall performance. And yes, most of last generation was heavily focussed on this...especially when the technical differences made for a significantly worse product in some cases (Ps3 versions of Skyrim and Bayonetta). Lots of people own multiple consoles, and knowing the best version for multi-plats is important to those people...as well as potential purchasers of new hardware.

Watevaman

I think I'll just skip this gen and borrow my friends ps4 to play the few games I want that aren't on PC. Looking forward to this game though.

Biker19

Banned

LMAO...what a funny post.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Probably the same amount that Windows reserves on PCs while games are running.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
More like the same amount that FreeBSD reserves on PC (it is way less than Windows) plus some free amount to run apps.

Windows and FreeBSD reserve GPU for themselves time while running games?

None does. :p

Top Bottom