• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 was most not "Switch 2" hardware

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There were some people speculating that due to the release date that Metroid Prime 4 was an early switch 2. I personally do not believe that because it just had no advanced graphics I have not seen on the original Switch. Digital Foundry also stated they are confident this is original switch hardware. Some other social media platforms were spreading the "Switch 2" bs.

RCU005

We all know there will be a Switch 2 version, whatever that end up being, but of course Nintendo is not going to show it to then be involved in controversy because they showed a Switch 2 version as Switch.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I think anyone who’s played the Metroid Prime Remaster understood this. Best looking game on the system.

MP4 should surpass it considering it’s built from the ground up.

That said I’ll be getting the “Switch 2” version.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Chris Farley Reaction GIF

ungalo

Who even ever thought that it's on Switch 2?
And why everyone is SO sure that it will be Switch 2 version? We know NOTHING about that and it may be only on Switch 1. Even backwards compatibility on Switch 2 is still a rumour.
This doesn't make any sense indeed but i don't know some people want to make it look like it's too beautiful for the Switch 1. Some Nintendo fans really live in a different world.

Robb

Gold Member
Who even ever thought that it's on Switch 2?
And why everyone is SO sure that it will be Switch 2 version? We know NOTHING about that and it may be only on Switch 1. Even backwards compatibility on Switch 2 is still a rumour.
Just seems very likely to me. It’s been in development for 5 years, what they showed looked very polished, they have a holiday season coming up, and despite that the date is still set for 2025.

No one knows of course, but I would not be willing to make a bet against it myself.

Yeah it looked pretty Switch like to me. A larger environment than the Prime remake that released a while ago but not a generation beyond that effort.

Edit: Apparently the remake and this title share the same engine.
I just assumed that was well-known/ widely expected at this point. Prime 1 Remastered was clearly training for the team on Switch and the engine to help 4 along.

Ok, it's obviously gonna be a cross-gen game, but the footage was clearly for current Switch because it's gonna release for it too
This. It's exactly what they did at E3 2016 with BotW. Everything shown was Wii U footage and Wii U hands-on, and 95%ish of the people who played BotW played it on Switch once it released. The Wii U version sold less than 2 million.

There were some people speculating that due to the release date that Metroid Prime 4 was an early switch 2. I personally do not believe that because it just had no advanced graphics I have not seen on the original Switch. Digital Foundry also stated they are confident this is original switch hardware. Some other social media platforms were spreading the "Switch 2" bs.

What we saw was the game on Switch. We will not see footage of it on next-gen til they decide to show it. We are multiple months away from that.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
and... if what was shown is in a dev kit then the programmer just reduced the resolution by 30% and turned off smaa

think who knows

I'm glad I play games for fun and not just graphics.
💯. Nintendo games are all about the experience, all about the gameplay. Graphics are not what makes a game fun, as pretty as they are to sometimes look at. Wish more people understood this. Development costs and development cycles wouldn't be so ridiculous.

BotW didn't sell 32 million copies because of it's state-of-the-art visual fidelity.

And honestly, outside of the demographic of the gamer forum/25-45 traditional console gamer, no one cares about graphics. Kids certainly don't care.

Last edited:
Just seems very likely to me. It’s been in development for 5 years, what they showed looked very polished, they have a holiday season coming up, and despite that the date is still set for 2025.

No one knows of course, but I would not be willing to make a bet against it myself.
People say that it can be cross-gen release just like BOTW on WiiU/Switch. But I would argue that WiiU and Switch have almost the same 'horsepower' - Switch is a portable WiiU that can run in docked mode just by raising cpu/gpu/mem clocks a bit.
In other hand Switch 2 to Switch 1 is nothing like that. If Switch 2 is Ampere that it would be the case. Even in backwards compatible mode I doubt that we will have even resolution bump. Of course all games will run better just because CPU and most important memory speed will be better on Switch 2 but that's it.

The only reason I'd think it's switch 2 is due to it running at 60fps, as games like that usually run at 30 or worse on the OG Switch.
It's 100% not running on Switch 2. The 60 fps is because it's a Metroid Prime staple and expectation of a new entry in the series, when all past entries have also been 60 fps. If you pay close attention to visual fidelity of what's in the trailer, certainly much more would have been achievable on Switch 1 were it not for the need to make sure it targets 60 fps.

Y'all need to stop reading so much into things, and seeing things that aren't there. When Nintendo shows you footage of Switch 2 games, you won't need to wonder what system it's running on. You'll definitely know.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
People say that it can be cross-gen release just like BOTW on WiiU/Switch. But I would argue that WiiU and Switch have almost the same 'horsepower' - Switch is a portable WiiU that can run in docked mode just by raising cpu/gpu/mem clocks a bit.
In other hand Switch 2 to Switch 1 is nothing like that. If Switch 2 is Ampere that it would be the case. Even in backwards compatible mode I doubt that we will have even resolution bump. Of course all games will run better just because CPU and most important memory speed will be better on Switch 2 but that's it.
I’m no tech expert so I won’t argue against any of that.

All I see is that they have an upcoming AAA game that’s skipping the last holiday season for their current platform and is instead launching in the same year as their upcoming platform. And that game is also in a series that generally does not sell well and would benefit greatly from the hype of a launch day release on the next console.

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm glad I play games for fun and not just graphics.

Of course not, the graphics and gameplay combine to make the whole experience
There isn't a single person here who plays games just for the graphics.

Your statement is disingenuous, it tries to imply that graphics don't matter when it comes to Nintendo games, but it definately still does. Would you be happy if metroid 4 looked like this and played at 15fps?
bqo4EmU.jpeg

Looking at something like the recently released Mario wonder shows that Nintendo is just very crafty and smart in building games in art styles that it's systems can run well.
It's an amazing looking game, it's not just the gameplay that make it great.

Prime 4 as shown is no doubt a switch game, Nintendo doesn't normally bait and switch. (Oops)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It gets more clicks to even raise the question. It's 100% on Switch 1 hardware, looks the same as the engine did on the Remaster of MP1 and same internal 900p resolution.

This is good news as it only has up to go from here, not down. It's the same play as BoTW, drag it out until it coincides with next gen launch and while it will still be cross platform, the Switch 2 will obviously be the definitive version.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Switch 2? What?

There are PS Vita titles that look better than Metroid Prime 4 in terms of visual presentation. Not even close to what Switch 1 can do.

MP4 does run at a higher framerate and resolution, but it is a much much newer and more powerful HW so, yeah… comparison is not invalid.

Top Bottom