• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 was most not "Switch 2" hardware

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's exactly my point. PS Vita title with smaller resolution and less frames in a second still looks better, has much better looking textures, lighting. Even the direction in the trailer has more flavor. Devs are getting lazy, no more ambition.
I mean, tastes are a thing... I know for sure when I say Xenoblade 3 is the best looking game I've played that I mean character design, art, environments and how the Switch handle all of that, not gonna say it has better visual fidelity than FF7R or something like that... And mind Switch is in waaaaaaaay better position compared to PS4 than Vita is to Switch.

Astral Dog

The trailer looks like it was running on original hardware.

honestly im impressed they managed to keep MP remastered visuals on the bigger environments in Metroid Prime 4, i heard it was running at 720p on one 'source' while another claimed 900p , at least that would explain the upgrade in visuals

i think it looks like a decent upgrade over the previous games, and its among the prettiest Switch games, Retro did a good job now whats left to see is the new game mechanics and how Metroid Prime evolves (one theory from fans is that the title and logo refers to some kind of time travel or change in space )

Kataploom

Gold Member
The trailer looks like it was running on original hardware.

honestly im impressed they managed to keep MP remastered visuals on the bigger environments in Metroid Prime 4, i heard it was running at 720p on one 'source' while another claimed 900p , at least that would explain the upgrade in visuals

i think it looks like a decent upgrade over the previous games, and its among the prettiest Switch games, Retro did a good job now whats left to see is the new game mechanics and how Metroid Prime evolves (one theory from fans is that the title and logo refers to some kind of time travel or change in space )
It looks 900p in the uncompressed video to me.

BTW guys we're back to 2002-2006

hQehYQo.gif

That title……

But, I sure hope not cause….ya know…

For a switch game, I can’t wait. Plus we all know this is gonna have some kind of “switch 2” enhanced mode. That is of course if there is backwards compatibility for the Switch’s successor
Mwhahaha..

Lokaum D+

Nintendo is 2 gen behind hardware wise and i dont think they ll change that, most games cant even reach 1080p at fixed 30fps, as long ppl keep buying switches and games Nintendo ll do nothing to close the hardware gap.

MujkicHaris

MP4 does run at a higher framerate and resolution, but it is a much much newer and more powerful HW so, yeah… comparison is not invalid.

Giving Killzone: Mercenary higher framerate and resolution would make it look like a Switch 2 title in terms of visuals. That game is a miracle of engineering. And now, people with Nintendo profile pictures want me to believe MP4 is breaking new ground with that trailer. It literally looks like a smartphone game. BOTW is impressive. Xenoblade too. MP4? Not really.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Nintendo is 2 gen behind hardware wise and i dont think they ll change that, most games cant even reach 1080p at fixed 30fps, as long ppl keep buying switches and games Nintendo ll do nothing to close the hardware gap.
true

diffusionx

Gold Member
Crazy how people already KNOW that this is just like BOTW and there will be a Switch 2 version (even though we don’t even know what the next Nintendo console is) and they KNOW the Switch 2 version will be massively enhanced, just like BOTW (except BOTW was not massively enhanced).

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm assuming that Metroid Prime 4 will be released on both consoles, just as Zelda had previously done in the past. After all, it was widely assumed that this videogame was being created for the new system, whatever it ends up becoming. Honestly, bringing it to the original Switch is just a very nice surprise.

Visually, it looks fantastic. But I'm the kind of old person who's happy playing 8-bit Atari games and still thinks Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast look perfect. All videogame hardware has peaked eons ago.

Who even ever thought that it's on Switch 2?
And why everyone is SO sure that it will be Switch 2 version? We know NOTHING about that and it may be only on Switch 1. Even backwards compatibility on Switch 2 is still a rumour.

Nintendo would have to be positively insane to have a high-profile flagship game releasing in 2025 not be playable on Switch 2, for the same reason that Twilight Princess and BOTW were also cross-gen....they want people to actually buy their new console.

Last edited:
Crazy how people already KNOW that this is just like BOTW and there will be a Switch 2 version (even though we don’t even know what the next Nintendo console is) and they KNOW the Switch 2 version will be massively enhanced, just like BOTW (except BOTW was not massively enhanced).

Exactly thats pure cope from Nintendo/Metroid fanboys. Go to any YouTube video of MP4 and read the comments ...so many acting like this looks so good and "is it switch 2" etc just purely based on their hype for mp4

I don't think it looks terrible but it looks soooo similar to the mp1 remaster ...not impressive! Anyone capable of being honest with themselves should be able to see that. You may like the overall look/art direction but this isn't graphically impressive and certainly isn't Switch 2 quality

And people who think it'll look crazy better on Switch 2? Lol ...it'll be higher res that's it

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
But like, can we stop even talking about “Switch 2” at this point like it actually exists? For the last three years on these forums people have been acting like it’s a fully announced thing. Friendly reminder, we have seriously never heard a peep from Nintendo about this thing actually being a thing. I have no doubt they have something cooking up, but the rate at which people here just assume that Switch 2 has everything happening, legitimately without the damn thing even being confirmed by Nintendo is becoming disturbing to me at this point.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Can Sony pls save us from this bullshit Switch and PC Handheld segment.

I'll be Day 1 for a modern Playstation Portable.
Do you know what oligopoly is? So forget it, Nintendo needs to exist asus rog ally too, there is only a dispute between two bars on the same street, sometimes not even that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Halo 4 came out in 2012 and ran at 30 fps/720p
It is Halo 5 tho, but here's the thing: Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be technically more advanced than Halo 4 just because Switch is more powerful, but also because it's coming way later, in a time where rendering techniques have gonne through a whole new gen after X360.

Switch games graphic pipelines are more akin to PS4/Xbone's than to PS360's, but running in a way less powerful in terms of brute performance, so it's gonna look much better than Halo 4 and yet not as good (in terms of fidelity) than Halo 5.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Isn't that a sign that brute power isn't THAT important? I mean, it is kinda important (PS5, XSX), not THAT important (XSS, Switch) or TOO important (PC) depending on your target audience, it's ok not to fall into one of those groups, not that they're doing something wrong, just a different way to approach the market.

Reactions: boo

Lokaum D+

Isn't that a sign that brute power isn't THAT important? I mean, it is kinda important (PS5, XSX), not THAT important (XSS, Switch) or TOO important (PC) depending on your target audience, it's ok not to fall into one of those groups, not that they're doing something wrong, just a different way to approach the market.
yeah i kind agree with you, but at the same time they are charging U$70 ( next gen price ) for 2 gen old games and the lack of power on their consoles really hurts the overall experience for me, the IQ is so bad that i prefer to emulate my games than play as intended on switch, dont get me wrong Nintendo games are top notch but, playing Zelda, Odyssei, Pikimin for exemple in 4k alone is another experience.

imagine playing this Zelda instead of what we got

hl4gX2dy62q-n_xKuiPXr4G-0tuJajXyJW2qLenw8tU.png

I know that gameplay is king, but c'mon, its time to Nintendo get into higher fidelity and frames rates, i u want to charge me next gen price offers me better IQ and fidelity.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
But like, can we stop even talking about “Switch 2” at this point like it actually exists? For the last three years on these forums people have been acting like it’s a fully announced thing. Friendly reminder, we have seriously never heard a peep from Nintendo about this thing actually being a thing. I have no doubt they have something cooking up, but the rate at which people here just assume that Switch 2 has everything happening, legitimately without the damn thing even being confirmed by Nintendo is becoming disturbing to me at this point.
What do you mean? They’ve already confirmed the Switch successor/“Switch 2” exists and that it will be shown before 31 March 2025.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's exactly my point. PS Vita title with smaller resolution and less frames in a second still looks better, has much better looking textures, lighting. Even the direction in the trailer has more flavor. Devs are getting lazy, no more ambition.

This is some idiotic nonsense. If you genuinely think Merceneries looks better than MP4, you are making shit up.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Halo 5 being an Xbox one title - not bad vs switch tbh
Switch has always been capable, it's just that it doesn't have enough raw power to push for everything but doing a very smart optimization it can punch a lot above its average. I've said several times even on Metroid Prime 4 threads that it's more akin to 8th gen consoles in terms of capabilities, just with much lower specs (like RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. but modern capabilities are there, just like Vita was for PS3 or so)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
crossgen confirmed.
Nintendo copy Playstation!!!!!

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HofT

It is Halo 5 tho, but here's the thing: Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be technically more advanced than Halo 4 just because Switch is more powerful, but also because it's coming way later, in a time where rendering techniques have gonne through a whole new gen after X360.

Switch games graphic pipelines are more akin to PS4/Xbone's than to PS360's, but running in a way less powerful in terms of brute performance, so it's gonna look much better than Halo 4 and yet not as good (in terms of fidelity) than Halo 5.
You're right that is Halo 5 and MP4 looks comparable to it.

ahtlas7

This late in the Switch life cycle and I’m confident it will be playable on Switch 2 with some sort of performance boosts. Anyway, I’m done buying games for the S1. I’m on a Nintendo embargo until they give me Switch 2.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, Nintendo announced successor hardware, but we have no idea what it is, what it will be, what they are doing with it, it's all rumors and speculation right now. People assume it is going to be "Switch 2" as in the same hardware design and style just more powerful, but we don't actually know that.

Switch 2? What?

There are PS Vita titles that look better than Metroid Prime 4 in terms of visual presentation. Not even close to what Switch 1 can do.

I played a lot of Killzone Mercenary before the server shutdown. It is a great looking portable game but come on man. Tiny levels, smudgy textures, etc., what can you expect out of basically iPhone 4 hardware, but you are reaching. The performance is also totally unacceptable by today's standards whereas this will almost definitely run at locked 60fps.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member

Radical_3d

*game looks like ass.

Gaffer: “maybe I should do a thread clarifying this is not running on an unreleased hardware”

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

LordOfChaos

hl4gX2dy62q-n_xKuiPXr4G-0tuJajXyJW2qLenw8tU.png

I know that gameplay is king, but c'mon, its time to Nintendo get into higher fidelity and frames rates, i u want to charge me next gen price offers me better IQ and fidelity.

I can't understand why people perpetuate this myth that Nintendo doesn't do PC rendered trailers, the BoTW one clearly was and that was claimed to be for the Wii U when even the Switch wouldn't hit that image quality, foliage density, lighting, and ToTK from the above DF video they said looked SSR-ey in the trailer. Many many years later they admitted the BoTW reveal was a PC target render.

Last edited:

The Skull

I mean who the fuck thought otherwise. Literally on the MP1 remastered engine. It's a good looking switch game.

recursive

Of course not, the graphics and gameplay combine to make the whole experience
There isn't a single person here who plays games just for the graphics.

Your statement is disingenuous, it tries to imply that graphics don't matter when it comes to Nintendo games, but it definately still does. Would you be happy if metroid 4 looked like this and played at 15fps?
bqo4EmU.jpeg

Looking at something like the recently released Mario wonder shows that Nintendo is just very crafty and smart in building games in art styles that it's systems can run well.
It's an amazing looking game, it's not just the gameplay that make it great.

Prime 4 as shown is no doubt a switch game, Nintendo doesn't normally bait and switch. (Oops)
Only thing I would question is the framerate. It looked pretty smooth (60fps) and I have some doubts about switch being able to do that but we shall see.

Top Bottom