• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 was most not "Switch 2" hardware

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
There was no switch 2 software in a show where there was no talk about switch 2 hardware?????

Surprised_Pikachu.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
yeah i kind agree with you, but at the same time they are charging U$70 ( next gen price ) for 2 gen old games and the lack of power on their consoles really hurts the overall experience for me, the IQ is so bad that i prefer to emulate my games than play as intended on switch, dont get me wrong Nintendo games are top notch but, playing Zelda, Odyssei, Pikimin for exemple in 4k alone is another experience.

imagine playing this Zelda instead of what we got

hl4gX2dy62q-n_xKuiPXr4G-0tuJajXyJW2qLenw8tU.png

I know that gameplay is king, but c'mon, its time to Nintendo get into higher fidelity and frames rates, i u want to charge me next gen price offers me better IQ and fidelity.
This is something that doesn't concern most people, those who are gonna buy don't care about "price per generation" or whatever... I think it's gonna be $60 tho, only Zelda have that much of a privilege to make people pay $10 more.

I think the only game playing on Switch 1 until next console comes out is Xenoblade 3, I'll see if there's something else but after this one I'm prob. done with Switch 1.

PeteBull

According to the leaks switch 2 docked should have power around ps4pr0/xss, in handheld mode around ps4, this footage obviously looked miles worse than what we got on the previously mentioned systems, so only logical solution-its base og switch footage.

Matsuchezz

MP4 looks bland, sounds bland, Art design is bland. The sounds of the laser beams is super generic. Killzone 2 a PS3 game runs circles on MP4. I really don't think SWitch 2 will be more powerful than anything that is already on the Market. It will be more powerful than switch I'll give you that. And those that are dreaming about Switch 2 being powerful are up for a rude awakening. It's like when Iwata said that when we would look at the Wii graphics we would say WOW, and we did, because. WOW that was a piece of shit!!

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I always imagined they'd go for the Halo 4 aesthetic (which is amazing) for Prime 4. The game looks great but if people think that is all the Switch 2 will be capable off then they're going to shit their pants when they see what the 3D Mario / Zelda / Splatoon / Luigi's Mansion / Mario Kart teams do with hardware 10x more powerful than the current Switch especially considering they won't run into the PS4>PS5 road block which is when they blow most of that increase in specs on doubling framerates up to 60 since many Nintendo developed / published games already run at 60fps on their engines on Switch.

mystech

Not sure how anyone can believe that was running on anything other than base Switch hardware. Especially after seeing Prime remake. The very linear level design of prime games allows for some unique performance saving tricks that leave room for higher than average visuals.

If Nintendo does create a Switch 2 version, the differences will depend on team size and budget. If they go the cheap path, we may just get higher resolution textures, 4K output and maybe a higher LOD on models. However, with a large enough team they could also remove the baked lighting and run the game with real time lighting and maybe some raytracing here and there.

As we’ve seen with some of these PS5 to Switch ports, modern engines are pretty dynamic. Prime 4 on Switch may just be the “low end” setting for this game.

tkscz

MP4 looks bland, sounds bland, Art design is bland. The sounds of the laser beams is super generic. Killzone 2 a PS3 game runs circles on MP4. I really don't think SWitch 2 will be more powerful than anything that is already on the Market. It will be more powerful than switch I'll give you that. And those that are dreaming about Switch 2 being powerful are up for a rude awakening. It's like when Iwata said that when we would look at the Wii graphics we would say WOW, and we did, because. WOW that was a piece of shit!!
We have less than 2 minutes of footage of what is obviously an intro stage and a snippet of a forest, how did you form ANY of these opinions about it? I mean, we got very little gameplay to compare it to anything else. If it plays like Metroid prime, well I wouldn't be surprised that it plays like Metroid prime and not sure what you're expecting it to play like.

Matsuchezz

We have less than 2 minutes of footage of what is obviously an intro stage and a snippet of a forest, how did you form ANY of these opinions about it? I mean, we got very little gameplay to compare it to anything else. If it plays like Metroid prime, well I wouldn't be surprised that it plays like Metroid prime and not sure what you're expecting it to play like.
First of all, I know Nintendo. I know how they operate, their strengths and limitations. This trailer doesn't impress at all. It is baffling to me how people say that it looks fantastic and impressive. I played Metroid Prime and that Game was visually very good at the time when it was released on GC. This looks at that same level 3 gens later. Truly disappointing.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I’m no tech expert so I won’t argue against any of that.

All I see is that they have an upcoming AAA game that’s skipping the last holiday season for their current platform and is instead launching in the same year as their upcoming platform. And that game is also in a series that generally does not sell well and would benefit greatly from the hype of a launch day release on the next console.
The Switch is in no Universe just a "Wii U" lol...

It took some Wii U games that ran at 720p/30fps and ran them at 1080p/60fps. The compute power needed to do that is enormous... That doesn't happen by magic. A portable Switch is 2x and a docked Switch is roughly 4x a Wii U in real world performance.

Kataploom

Gold Member

It took some Wii U games that ran at 720p/30fps and ran them at 1080p/60fps. The compute power needed to do that is enormous... That doesn't happen by magic. A portable Switch is 2x and a docked Switch is roughly 4x a Wii U in real world performance.
I needed to see BOTW running better on Switch handheld mode than Wii U, even when the later was the lead platform and the game not taking advantage of Switch strength, to realize it

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes. K2 is even easier win than with Killzone: Mercenary; to the point of being unfair. K2 on PS3. Incredible work by devs.
Damn, this won't end well for you.

But I get it, art style and tastes, as I've said several times in here, I like Xenoblade 3 graphics even more than anything I play on PC, basically. It's ok to have opinions, yet technical specifics are another matter.

Radical_3d

high quality GIF

Yes, the memory bandwidth is 2X on dock but the flops is just a little higher when docked. You can see that in Mario Kart 8 that gets a bump from 720p to 1080 and that’s it. Or in BotW where the differences are not that much. The non cross gen Zelda doesn’t departures much from BotW graphically wise, aside from making the world bigger.

In any case a sightly better Wii U hardware with 4X the memory of a 360 shouldn’t have MP4 as a benchmark for excellence.

coffinbirth

Giving Killzone: Mercenary higher framerate and resolution would make it look like a Switch 2 title in terms of visuals. That game is a miracle of engineering. And now, people with Nintendo profile pictures want me to believe MP4 is breaking new ground with that trailer. It literally looks like a smartphone game. BOTW is impressive. Xenoblade too. MP4? Not really.
You'd have to redo those textures too. Game looks like hot garbage on PSTV.

Do you honestly think Prime 4 wouldn't look league's better if they dropped the resolution to shitsville and 25 FPS like Killzone? Do you understand how much larger Primes maps are than Killzone? You can't discount 60FPS, native 900p, and massive sprawling maps cost to the visuals of this game.

I'm not suggesting that this is "breaking new ground", but I will assert that all of those aforementioned facts make it equally as much of a "miracle of engineering". This is pushing the Switch to the max to provide a 60FPS Metroid Prime game. BotW and Xenoblade, and especially TotK have garbage framerates. The trade off is performance over visuals.

And I'm saying this as a massive Killzone: Mercenary fan and Vita lover.

tr1p1ex

Wii U to Switch was a console to handheld leap. And less than 5 years later at that. EVerything else being equal that's going to much more of a sideways move than console to console or handheld to handheld.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I needed to see BOTW running better on Switch handheld mode than Wii U, even when the later was the lead platform and the game not taking advantage of Switch strength, to realize it
BotW barely made Switch’s launch (Odyssey was ready and waiting in the wings if it didn’t). It was a quick and dirty port and even then it runs at 900p instead of 720p and about 5-10fps better on average than the WiiU version after the Switch performance patch that came roughly 10 days after launch.

Kamina

Golden Boy
People like to see what they want to see.
The engine they used for the MP1 remake seems well done and adapted to the device. Paired with skillful devs you can alway get nice graphics from even a weak ass hardware like the Switch.

Hudo

Gold Member
BotW barely made Switch’s launch (Odyssey was ready and waiting in the wings if it didn’t). It was a quick and dirty port and even then it runs at 900p instead of 720p and about 5-10fps better on average than the WiiU version after the Switch performance patch that came roughly 10 days after launch.
I remember that the Zelda team said that Aonuma essentially ambushed the team with "oh, hey. Yeah. We need to get BotW ready for Switch launch as well, btw. xoxo". They dedicated a whole slide to this at their Breath of the Wild talk at GDC 2017.

Woopah

First of all, I know Nintendo. I know how they operate, their strengths and limitations. This trailer doesn't impress at all. It is baffling to me how people say that it looks fantastic and impressive. I played Metroid Prime and that Game was visually very good at the time when it was released on GC. This looks at that same level 3 gens later. Truly disappointing.
If you think this looks like a GC game, then you've forgotten what GC games look like.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Yes, the memory bandwidth is 2X on dock but the flops is just a little higher when docked. You can see that in Mario Kart 8 that gets a bump from 720p to 1080 and that’s it. Or in BotW where the differences are not that much. The non cross gen Zelda doesn’t departures much from BotW graphically wise, aside from making the world bigger.

In any case a sightly better Wii U hardware with 4X the memory of a 360 shouldn’t have MP4 as a benchmark for excellence.
You need to get over "flops" hasn't PS5 and Series X taught you anything?... You can't take games that run at 600p-720p/30fps and then run them at 1080p/60fps without at least 4x the total compute performance. It's no one single metric. That is what the Switch did with some WiiU games when the effort and money was put in to the port.

To put it another way do you think the WiiU could run DOOM, The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Wolfenstein II, Astral Chain, DOOM Eternal, Mario Rabbids etc?... No, no it couldn't.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wish I had the time to put all of you on my ignore list .. if a games only measurement to " looking good " is bleeding edge technical merits then you are doing it wrong.

Radical_3d

You need to get over "flops" hasn't PS5 and Series X taught you anything?... You can't take games that run at 600p-720p/30fps and then run them at 1080p/60fps without at least 4x the total compute performance. It's no one single metric. That is what the Switch did with some WiiU games when the effort and money was put in to the port.

To put it another way do you think the WiiU could run DOOM, The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Wolfenstein II, Astral Chain, DOOM Eternal, Mario Rabbids etc?... No, no it couldn't.
I don’t know which games got that 4X treatment but I’ll take it. So, a machine about 4X more powerful than the 360 is having a worst graphical showcase than Advance Warfare praised by its technical prowess. And shouldn’t a machine 4X more powerful than a 360 move Killzone 2 at 60 when some dismiss that comparison for KZ2 being 30? It’s a poor example of a technical demonstration of the machine and making a thread to clarify that is not on Switch 2 is directly a joke.

Zannegan

Gold Member
The video looked very Switch 1 to me. As a reference, this was a base PS4 launch game:

Fair point, but the OG Switch has about 1/4 of the PS4's raw power when docked (granted, with more modern hardware features), and the Switch 2 will likely land between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro. Like the Switch, it will probably punch above its weight, but I wouldn't be shocked if its early games looked similar to early PS4 games, easpecially cross-gen games.

I'm not arguing that this is Switch 2 footage, just noting that I wouldn't expect year one Switch 2 efforts to greatly outshine Killzone: Shadowfall.

Stafford

Metroid Prime Remastered is now 28 bucks in the Nintendo store. A game I've never played before. I think I should do this.

yurinka

Fair point, but the OG Switch has about 1/4 of the PS4's raw power when docked (granted, with more modern hardware features), and the Switch 2 will likely land between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro. Like the Switch, it will probably punch above its weight, but I wouldn't be shocked if its early games looked similar to early PS4 games, easpecially cross-gen games.

I'm not arguing that this is Switch 2 footage, just noting that I wouldn't expect year one Switch 2 efforts to greatly outshine Killzone: Shadowfall.
I expect Switch 2 to look somewhere between PS4 Pro and Series S but with a lower resolution.

amigastar

Metroid Prime Remastered is now 28 bucks in the Nintendo store. A game I've never played before. I think I should do this.
Yeah, you should do this, i recommend playing it on easiest difficulty though, Metroid Prime is not a twitch shooter but rather an exploring FPS.

On topic:
It didn't look like a switch 2 game to me also

Last edited:

Stafford

Yeah, you should do this, i recommend playing it on easiest difficulty though, Metroid Prime is not a twitch shooter but rather an exploring FPS.

On topic:
It didn't look like a switch 2 game to me also

Easiest? Damn, but why? Is it very challenging?

Stafford

Nope. But it does have one of the worst last level ever made.

It is 2002 game but I suspect it would have been unacceptable even back then. I played it on Wii BTW.

Oh damn. So like the whole game is not hard at all but last level is a big difficulty spike or just annoying? If you can explain without spoilers, go ahead.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh damn. So like the whole game is not hard at all but last level is a big difficulty spike or just annoying? If you can explain without spoilers, go ahead.
No, it isn‘t hard. It is just a longer fight that requires you to use almost all your abilities. The other user probably just was bad at the game.

amigastar

No, it isn‘t hard. It is just a longer fight that requires you to use almost all your abilities. The other user probably just was bad at the game.
I'm not bad at the game i'm just saying easiest mode is the least stressful mode especially when there is no Quicksave button and you screw up for different reasons.
I play Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence because thats a game where skill matters in Metroid Prime on the other hand exploration is the key.

IAmRei

Can Sony pls save us from this bullshit Switch and PC Handheld segment.

I'll be Day 1 for a modern Playstation Portable.
Sadly no, at this time, and it will be harder than before since vita failed so hard, by sony own hands...

I like vita, but there are lot of awful decisions back then, and i kind of welcome if there is anything new.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not bad at the game i'm just saying easiest mode is the least stressful mode especially when there is no Quicksave button and you screw up for different reasons.
I play Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence because thats a game where skill matters in Metroid Prime on the other hand exploration is the key.

I was more referring to the other user, Vaibhavpisal. The final area can be “annoying”, but it isn’t unfair. It just requires you to use the tools you were given. No different than any other Metroid game.

Stafford

Oh that sounds fine with me. I think normal will be fine then. I don't often go for easy mode, except for Doom Eternal and that still proved to be a challenge at times, lmao. I'm probably gonna buy it, I'll think on it some more, it's not like my backlog needs it.

Top Bottom